Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ocicat

Orange Blossom and Neroli Recs

Catherine definitely has a strong orange blossom note, but there's also rosemary & rose in there, which you may or may not have issues with.

Akuma also, which has berry notes in it as well.

If you do a search for "neroli" or "orange blossom" on the site, you'll come up with lots of listings, but I think it's strongest of the ones I've tried in these two.

I get a very strong orange blossom from Katharina -- but that's just because my skin sucks up apricot like no one's business.

Akuma has a very strong neroli note, but neroli doesn't smell like straight orange blossom to me.

Jezebel has an orange blossom note along with rose and honey...

Also, the Lovers and Santa Eularia Des Riu have strong orange blossom notes, though they are mixed with lots of other notes...

Vixen. The orange blossom is a top note on a base of patchouli and ginger. It's my favorite scent to date. It ends up smelling like molasses cookies and orange blossom honey on me. Yum.

Xiuhtecuhtli was wonderful on me, a very resiny orange blossom.

Can't wait to try Catherine, sounds distinctly like Emily.

I forgot about Seraglio. Very orange blossomy. Initially it has some almond, but the main note (on me at least) is orange blossom.

I think I want my next imp set to concentrate on orange blossom, a single note fragrance I love very much. I'm looking for some clarification, though, from those who know better. In many reviews, I see the words orange, citrus and creamsicle used to describe blends that contain orange blossom. To me, it's a floral note, not a citrus one. And I also thought neroli and orange blossom were interchangeable, but at least one of Beth's blends contains both.

Ok, a specific question. Of the three blends that contain both orange blossom and patchouli (Masquerade, Ravenous and Vixen) which one is closest to a purer orange blossom? I'd like it less heavy on the patchouli, because although I'm learning to like it, it doesn't seem to like me.

Thanks!

I don't get a lot of orange blossom out of Vixen, I think Vixen is similar to Siren which has none.

My best orange blossom recommendation would be Succubus. I find that to be a wonderful, oriental, slightly spicy/resinous/incensey orange blossom, quite heady.

Tarot: The Lovers was a single note orange blossom to my nose, but I didn't like it.

I do think orange blossom smells like oranges or citrus though. Not exactly, but a very related scent. For example, the orange blossom water you use in oriental cooking smells like sweet, synthetic orange flavour to me.

Thank you, Caltha. Succubus is already on my wishlist - it sounds lovely. I may have to try The Lovers, although your review gives me pause, lol. I think of orange blossom as symbolic of love and weddings, so this makes sense.

I maybe have only smelled poor quality orange blossom, and am missing out on subtle notes of citrus in it.

If you can get your hands on a bottle of Neptune, that one is very orange blossomy to my nose.

And I agree, orange blossom is a floral note to my nose - I don't get any citrus or fruity-ness at all.

Yes, neroli is the same thing as orange blossom and to me it is a floral scent. I would say that Loralei is my favourite neroli/orange blossom blend from BPAL. It is almost astringent at first, but after a short drydown it is everything that an orange blossom blend should be IMHO.

Sorry that I cannot answer your question about the patchouli-orange blossom oils. I have tried them, but I don't have a recollection of what they specifically smelled like. I only remember that they did not work with my chemistry.

Edited by L-z_Empress

Everyone's chemistry seems to treat these differently, but of the three orange blossom w/ patchouli fragrances you've listed, the least heavy patchouli on me is Vixen. Masquerade and Ravenous seem to hold the patchouli note more heavily on my skin, while in Vixen it gets sweetened and tempered by the orange blossom and ginger. I agree that orange blossom is more floral than citrus, but to me it's a much sweeter floral than most. On me it sweetens most blends in the same way that honey will, rather than giving me a heavily floral note. That's precisely how it behaves in Vixen for me.

Katharina has orange blossom, and it strikes me as more of a floral accent than fruit, though the peach is the strongest note. Still, I think it's a very bright and pretty scent, if you like the other notes the blend uses as well.

Tweedledee is the purest orange blossom scent on me (and the only one where orange blossom really works on me as a sweet floral and doesn't smell like oddly burnt citrus). It winds up smelling like a beautiful orange blossom singlenote on me in the drydown. I highly recommend :P

Masquerade was the strongest patchouli for me out of the three that you listed. Vixen had a very noticeable patchouli on me, and the orange blossom smelled sharply burnt, but they were more of equal strength. I don't get any patchouli at all from Ravenous... it actually smells more like an orange creamsicle on me (orange blossom and vanilla).

I get a very heavy patchouli out of Masquerade, and it's a gritty patchouli (I believe that blend has Black Patchouli in it as opposed to a different variety). I really love Ravenous, but it is equal parts O.B. and Patchouli.

One of my favorite O.B. blends is Dracul. It's gorgeous...and don't be afraid of its being on the more masculine of things, a lot of women on this board wear it. It's tres sesky.

The best orange blossom scent for me is actually Vice. The chocolate and cherry fade away to a gentle warmth and leaves the scent of orange blossom water. But my chemistry may be weird; it's sickeningly sweet in the bottle.

I grew up among the orange groves, so orange blossom/neroli is a favorite of mine, too. I don't get any orange scent from any of BPAL's orange blossom scents, though others seem to, and I wonder sometimes how much this is power of suggestion, which is powerful indeed!

I highly recommend Bess, which doesn't start out with orange blossom as the top note (at least for me) but blooms into a passionate orange blossom blend, very evocative. Lolita is orange blossoms lifted and brightened by a bit of lemon verbena. Masquerade is orange blossoms warmed by incense. I also like Succubus, but not as much as these others.

Thanks so much, everyone - I love the knowledgable input. :P

I know for sure that I want to order Loralei and Vixen, and I already have Jezebel on the way.

Some others are definitely food for thought. It's funny - I just got an imp of Dracul yesterday and sadly, there's no o.b. at all for me - it's all dark and black. I have Bess, and wish it was blossomy - for me it's naught but grape. I was shying away from Vice, Tweedledee and Katharina because I'm a bit fruity-phobic, but may give them a go - they sound nice as you all have described them. And I will keep an eye out for Neptune - good to see it's not that long gone.

And I also thought neroli and orange blossom were interchangeable, but at least one of Beth's blends contains both.

Almost, but not quite. I think the difference is in how the essential oil is extracted. One is steam distilled, the other is something else, but I cannot remember. Maybe enfleurage? I'm sure someone knows better than I.

Ok, a specific question. Of the three blends that contain both orange blossom and patchouli (Masquerade, Ravenous and Vixen) which one is closest to a purer orange blossom? I'd like it less heavy on the patchouli, because although I'm learning to like it, it doesn't seem to like me.

I can't remember Vixen too well, but Masquerade was very orange blossom, making a spicy-floral; Ravenous was plasticy-patchouli on me.

From what I remember, Seraglio was super orange blossom, if that helps you any in your quest. :P