Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A stirring yet gentle perfume. The scent of love and devotion mingled with an undercurrent of heart-rending sorrow. A bouquet of white roses, labdanum, and wild orchid.

First sniff - Yikes. It bites, and is nasty. But of course, I knew that would change, so on it went.

Wet - Oh no, there's green herbs. We just do NOT get along. It is extremely soapy and harsh...

Drying - the mean green is retreating, and I start to smell rose. Hmm. They dry is taking longer than most blends on me, but this is getting nice.

Full dry - So beautiful. I thought I could not do rose, but rose and orchid are fantastic on me. I had not read the description before trying this (it was a swap surprise), and I thought sad white roses.
It does have a hint of Queen Mab, in that the rose is dominant on me, and smells so true to life. But Queen Mab is happy, this is subdued.

I adore this - so worth the wait until dry.

Magdalene

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): This is the scent of a greenhouse. Where, since it is completely contained, the air is thick with greens and florals.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): Though this calms a bit, it is still a strong green floral scent.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): This has surprisingly softened to a semi-spicy floral. Interesting … I think I like it.

Indeed, this is an interesting scent in the way it totally morphed. I shall have to see about wearing it sometime in the future to see if this is typical of this particular scent, or if it is just my body going whack-o.

First whiff: made me want to weep--sorrow in a bottle, but in a good way, evocative of devotional tears and a spiritual edge.

On me, smokey and rosey at the same time. Very sexy and spiritual. Great for meditation. Would def annoint candles with it and meditate on my Departed Beloveds--excellent I feel for reaching across the veil to those who have passed.

Incense smokey at first and strangely smokey floral in the vial. On me the smokiness lasted a little before a gorgeous rose scent came out. This was light, wistful, sad and stunning. Very evocative of its name, I wish this had lasted just a bit more on me as it was very light and faded quickly but still lovely just the same.

This is what I expected Black Rose to be like, dark and repentive, with a sense of hazy sensuality and regret.

Magalene is the one rose based oil I would consider buying. It's wonderful, the thickness of the labdanum devours the sweetness of the rose, letting the orchid slink in. It lasts most of the day, about 5-6 hours or so.

I have never thought of getting a labdanum noted oil. This or Gaueko seem good choices, since I remember the same great notes in it, woody, almost fruity, minty and leathery all at once.

Lovely. :P

Magdalene

Another rosey gimp from the Lab (it's a conspiracy, I tells ya!) that I am growing to like, if not love.

In the bottle:

ROSE! Then, something green.

Wet:

ROSE! There's just something about my skin that grabs ahold of any rose note and tosses it right back out into the world.

Drydown:

The rose is still predominant, but there's also a dry herb feel as well.

Later:

It's only been about two hours, but in that time I've gotten a great green almond note that shouldn't be there and something reminiscent of Queen Mab (the orchid, perhaps?) that I like quite a bit. The waft makes me think of a rosey Queen of Sheba.

The rose is still there... but after all those other rose gimps I think my resistance to this note is wearing down... because... wait for it... I like it now! Don't know if I'll ever love rose, but it is no longer something I strive to avoid. Dangit.

I think I've tested almost thirty imps at this point, so my feel for the lasting power of oils is a bit better. I think this one will last a while on me. I'll update if it is otherwise.

Since I only like rose now and don't love it (yet) I'll probably put this one up for swaps. I've already got Chiroptera and Kostnice that also evoke palatable roses for me and this one is just a touch too sweet for the impression I usually try to throw (that would be dark and snarky, of course.)

In the imp: CARNATION??? WHY?

On me, swiped on wrist, wet: PURE Carnation.... Carnation hates me.... WHY??? I WANT TO LOVE THIS ONE!!!!!!

Drydown: DAMN IT!!!!!! CARNATION!!!! It's giving me a headache.... HELP! Is there Carnation in this???

Final thoughts: :P I wanted to love this... I WANTED TO LOVE THIS!!!! Why carnation, and only carnation???? I had to scrub this off and it made me sad to do it... The imp has been swapped.... I might get another one though, just to see if it starts to like me eventually....

Magdalene, on me, is a demure, innocent sort of rose (with the odd dill-pickle note I tend to get from orchid while it's wet). In all honesty, it's a nice blend, but it really isn't me. It is, however, very nice in the bath (I used up the imp last night by tipping it into the bath tub as I got in - quite nice).

I was so hopeful of this (sounds so lovely) but it's just awful on me. I didn't care for it much in the bottle, I tried in on my arm - yuk. I waited a while for it to change, but no, it actually made me feel sick. before I washed it off I gave my arm to daughter#1 to sniff, and she thought it smelled of sick......

I went to lunch with my friend the next day & gave it to her along with 7 other imps - it smelled lovely on her.

I'm wondering if orchid doesn't like me? Oberon went soapy on me, although I do quite like queen mab. I guess as I try more scents I'll find out :P

Pretty! I thought this was a little sharp in the vial, but it goes sweeter when it hits the skin. Threre's still a green edge, but the sweetness of the orchids float above it.

in the vial...

sad if sadness had a scent this would be it

on it is a very soft rose, but remeber roses have thorns, it is soft yet there is pain in it i am not sure how else to describe it. i like it alot, but i definitely get a sad or melancholy vibe

i am editing this to add it is such a beautiful dark rose, orchid blend, the second time i am wearing it it is calling to me, i do still get a sad feel from it but it is triumphant also...weird, i think i may buy a bigger bottle for those days when i just wanna feel that sad yet beating it kinda feel

Edited by shelldoo

Oh Magdalene, how I love thee :P

In the bottle - soft, warm, thick, sweet.

On me - it's sharper, floral, slightly like Lush's Fever. Roses are blooming. After a time it grows deeper, slightly spicer, yummy. It lasts a long time too, fading into a smoky mellow softness. Love it. There will be a bottle of this in my future.

Magdalene

In the bottle: Very green.

On me/wet: It immediately turns spicy, with a whiff of white florals bringing up the rear. No real rose kick, yet. Labdanum may be the cause of the spicy, resinous note that is overpowering all the other guys. :D

Drydown: Ah, the rose is finally starting to appear. And I'm starting to sneeze - hopefully there's no relation. Mmmm...that's a rose worth waiting for! The other notes are blending extremely well into the background, and the rose is becoming quite the standout note!

Wow, this one matured into a real winner. I like! :P

in the bottle: wet green, powdery medicinal and herbal, not much floral wafting from the bottle.

on wet: so lightly green, flowery {that's a duh statement, i wish i could do better} it will smell nothing like this dry - reinforcing the ultimate lesson to "imp sniffers", that doesn't work, you have to put it on!

drying: oh wow, slightly smokey rose and only if i deep sniff - there's the orchid. it resembles Queen Mab with that cloying drape of floral comfort; though Magda is, to my memory, much less overtly orchid, less creamyness and much more rosyness and clear floral. i want to say it's incensy, but it's not that; there's a deep softness to the rose, something that cuts the edge of the floral as it dries and sends it dark and softly furred, warm and very sexy. i don't want to say the rose is incensey/smokey, but there's the most delicate pull to the flavor of the flower in a non-flowery direction. i go for über-spice and heavy incense, so that might be giving me a perceptual blind-spot? a touch of smoke.. i could say it's flavored that way, just a bit..

and now for FUN! the "what does this remind me of?" sniff-off!

Phantom Queen - back of right hand

Magdalene - back of left hand

I'm trying a sniff-off because these two remind me so strongly of one another, the creamy & orchid quality fills my nose and i need some way to pick out the difference. Magdalene shows up the roses, and they are dark creamy roses, Phantom Queen goes bright cheery green sweet apple again. Fascinating! they are *nothing* alike when sniffed side by side.

Next test - Magdalene & Queen Mab... {finds backs of wrists currently unscented} wow~ :P both lovely.. i'm going to have to do this again on another day. right now they're So Close they're nearly indistinguishable and it could be locations of smell or other things. first impression is that Queen Mab is stronger, stronger wafting and creamyness and stronger orchid power. Magdalene has a touch more crispness to the rose, and the rose has just the slightest barest almost incense/smoke. Queen Mab- milky heavy-sweet, Magdalene- softly herbal-spice.. but really.. today they're too close to call. wow!

Magdalene A stirring yet gentle perfume. The scent of love and devotion mingled with an undercurrent of heart-rending sorrow. A bouquet of white roses, labdanum, and wild orchid.

The description has hit this one dead on. It gently stirs the soul. I know what white roses and wild orchid smell like, but not labdanum. I will have to tweek my nose into learning that scent. I would definitely say that if you are looking for a soft rose that just touches your sense of love, this is it.

In The Bottle Roses, and something sharp and herbal.

Wet Very powdery; the labdanum is a bit much. It's a really sad scent. It reminds me of melpomene in that it has a bitter herbal note that gives way to a powdery floral..... wistful.... a sense of longing.....

Drydown Either it is softening or I am getting used to the labdanum. I can pick out the orchid now.... it has a darkness, an emotional heaviness to it....... wow.

TWo Hours Later It's oddly centering and calming...... the roses are strong, but the powderiness makes it okay..... a little too powdery though.

Verdict Powerful fragrence, but not me.....

Magdalene- This has that soft, musky roundedness to it. It's extremely sexy and seems to have a touch of honey in it. With only these three notes listed, I can't say for sure. All I know is that it smells so feminine and sultry. I think of seduction when I smell this and I really love this musky floral. The roses lend all their beauty without the usual outspoken need to be noticed.

Floral, it is a wonderful floral blend.

I don't wear florals, I'm more of a resin, woods, dirt, and leather girl. But I try them whenever the lab throws them in, because you never know. :P

This one was interesting, I smell the roses, and I smell something sweet and flowery, maybe the orchid? I like the way it smells, but, as usual, not for me.

Beautiful in the imp, but once it was applied to me Magdalene rapidly turned into a baby powder cut with sharp herbs, more a remedy than a meditation.

If the Mary who anointed Jesus' feet is identified with the Magdalene, then I can see how this herbal smell would befit her.

I didn't get rose, like everyone else did. I'm new at picking out notes, so bear with me please. I'm not sure if it's the labadnum or what. While the scent itself isn't subdued, no matter how little I put on, it's got a subdued mood, if that makes sense. Sort of remorseful, a little nostalgic. I pictured the image of Mary at the tomb of Christ on Easter, which coincidentally, is the day I tried Magdalene on for the first time.

This one has a creamy, white scent. It doesn't have the piercingly white scent of the night-blooming flowers, it's just a solid floral. Calming and gentle, yet strong, with a hint of somberness. It's a good dark, grown-up floral. It would be good as a gift for a relative, or to wear to work or to a wedding or something. I don't smell roses at all, but I smell a hint of something like Queen Mab. Must be the orchids. The funny thing is that Queen Mab turns a bit sour on me, but Magdalene does not at all. I am enjoying it a lot.

I actually wore it today to tell the story of Mary Magdalene to some primary school children. :P

Edited by VorpalBunny

when will i accept that florals hate me? WHEN?

i tried it. i wanted to like it, i really did. it has such a lovely description. but... it's too sweet/floral for me, and i found it to be overpowering. maybe because it was an older imp (it was tarted, and i don't know when that went out of style), but it didn't agree with me at all.

however, i gave it to a friend, who fell in love with it.

and she now torments me with it daily.

This was smokey in the vial. In fact, it was so smokey, I felt a little sick to my stomach. I was convinced that I was going to hate this. Then I put it on and it went almost immediately into ROSES. Not just a hint of rose smell, but full-on, heady rose. It was amazing. I love this, but it definitely takes some getting used to.

I am shocked by this. I'm not familiar with labdanum for some reason so wasn't sure what to expect. When I first put it on, I was expecting to smell roses, which amplify and overpower everthing on me. Instead I got "WTF" is that? It just felt weird, but familiar and I couldn't place it. It took a while for that to start to fade (15-20 min) and the sweetness of the rose started coming out. Then I realized it smelled like jalapeno's to me..The green, pickled jalapenos on nachos at the fair. Rose jalapeno's or jalapeno roses. Now that it's faded more, it is pretty and soft and beautiful. Just sweet, light rose. Tonight I've tried two rose scents and they are the first two i can actually wear! Love it.

In the bottle: I could definatly smell the rose, and something sharp and green in the back ground. I couldn't remeber the notes when I sniffed this in the bottle this morning. But I was a little scared to put it on. :P

Wet: The sharp green thing I smelled in the vial starts to take over when first applied to my skin. Luckily it's very short lived and the rose comes up.

Drydown. After about 15 minutes of wear the orchid comes out as the dominant note on my skin. I had read the notes by then and was guessing that the Labdanum was what was giving it such a sharp green bite in the bottle and when first applied. So I looked it up and found out it was a resin, that's saposed to smell like every thing from moss to leather. :D So yeah I'm thinking thats definatly where the bite was coming from. This turns in to a really lovely orchid/rose scent with something deep and green in the background giving a bit of somberness to an other wise soft and delicate floral. It pretty much stays that way untill it starts to wear off, at which point it becomes a soft rose with a faint orchid base. It lasts for a pretty long time, and has excelent throw on me.

As this one started to dry down, it reminded me strongly of my aunt. I'm thinking she must wear an orchid heavy perfume. I've never really given much though to her perfume, but the first thing I thought of when the orchid started to come up was hugging her, so that was really nice. This was the first of Beth's blends that has evoked strong memories of someone I love, so I had to throw that in there. :D