Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Donnababe

Best BPALs for SUMMER - is it hot, sweltering, sticky outside?

Josie, fairy market are ultimate summer scents. I also like bewitched and fairy bites. I look forward as well to trying out Lavina the creature in the heat.

For something a little darker I like sacred whore of Babylon, or snake oil.

Reading back through this thread a little bit - I see I'm not the only one who likes musky scents in the summer heat

I love red musk in the summer, something about it just works so well for me in our humid weather. I'm going to a potluck tonight and it's going to be hot and sticky. I'm thinking one of these:

Snake Oil (I don't know if it specifically has red musk but it's great in the summer)

Snake Charmer

Cottonmouth

Infernal Lover (I have a decant of the red-musk-heavy version)

Midnight On The Midway

Fenris Wolf

Kabuki

......or maybe:

Hungry Ghost Moon (I have a decant of the older one from 2006)

Ulalume (I just discovered that I love this)

Carnival Diabolique

Mad Hatter

Voodoo Lily

Black Lotus

Red Moon

I don't know.....I probably won't decide until the last minute : )

All of the Snowballs or Lickits, Shivering Boy and Mad Hatter. Also Leanan Sidhe, which is the scent I recognize as "summer".

I've been wearing a ton of Lacus Bonitatis. It reminds me of a creamsicle, due to what parts of it I amp.

I've been loving Terra Vigoris lately—really fruity and fresh. If I want to sex it up a bit, I add a bit of Snake Oil.

Reading back through this thread a little bit - I see I'm not the only one who likes musky scents in the summer heat

I love red musk in the summer, something about it just works so well for me in our humid weather. I'm going to a potluck tonight and it's going to be hot and sticky. I'm thinking one of these:

Snake Oil (I don't know if it specifically has red musk but it's great in the summer)

Snake Charmer

Cottonmouth

Infernal Lover (I have a decant of the red-musk-heavy version)

Midnight On The Midway

Fenris Wolf

Kabuki

......or maybe:

Hungry Ghost Moon (I have a decant of the older one from 2006)

Ulalume (I just discovered that I love this)

Carnival Diabolique

Mad Hatter

Voodoo Lily

Black Lotus

Red Moon

I don't know.....I probably won't decide until the last minute : )

If your Red Moon is the 2007 vintage, it's perfect for a sweltering day like today. I also love Snake Charmer in the summer, due to its hint of coconut. Just feels like a more summery version of Snake Oil

During summer days I've been going for clean, light scents like:

Kumiho

Embalming Fluid

Shanghai

Sea of Glass

White Rabbit

Eldrich Drunken Constellations

During summer nights if I'm going to be out and about I look for something a bit more sultry. Lately it's been:

Snake Charmer

Dorian

Red Lantern

I've also had Jareth, The Last Unicorn, and Snow White fairly well used in my summer rotation. Mainly for when I'm not sure what I want to wear.

When it's hot, I like slightly fruity musky things:

Dorian

Lady Una

Autumn Moon of the Mirror Stand

Black Lace (appley version)

Tattered Lace

Red Lace

Cheshire Moon '08

Hunger Moon (fizzy sweet grapefruit - last year's surprise fave)

And Mme Moriarty if I'm going for the extra sultry after dark vibe.

The rest of the year I'm all about the spice :D

I'm going to be obnoxious & quote myself because I think it's amusing that nothing much has changed here from my list from a couple of years ago. Not going to drop any of these but I will add Aristocratic Couple & Parlement of Foules because they are also appealing right now. Joyful Moon should really be on there, too.

I going to dig out my imp of Kumiho for a test, too, because so many people are mentioning it.

I also made myself a Dorian room spray that I use as a body & clothing mist if I think I'm going to need some extra oomph during a hot day.

Edited by alterosen

I sweat so much that 'clean and light' is GONE on me within 1 hour, especially if I'm at some kind of outdoor gathering or event.

I went with Snake Oil, just because I haven't worn it in a while, and I wanted the full Snake Oil experience! : )

Obatala is a great summer scent! I also like Babohan Sith. If going a bit heavier then XIuhtecuhtli

Obatala is a great summer scent! I also like Babohan Sith. If going a bit heavier then XIuhtecuhtli

+1. I love Obatala in the summer, it's so perfect somehow!

I have some go to's when the weather starts heating up.

Snow White

CC: Female

Bathsheba

Tamora

High-Strung Daises

The Passionate Shepard to His Love (more of a late spring early summer scent)

Heart's For Ghost Friends

Leanan Sidhe

Alice

Miss Jenny

Shadow Witch Orchid (just received, but OMG did it bloom in the sun the other day)

Lyonesse

Vasakasajja

Love Lay Upon Her Eyes

I've got a lot that I prefer in the summer months ... but some of them also smell awesome warmed on your skin in the winter under a cozy sweater.

I love Bewitched and Envy on hot summer days. In the evening I love Midway (smells like the fair!) and Red Lantern but I wear it any time of year....

I recently fell in love with both The Grave-Pig and The Apothecary and I think they will both be lovely in the summer and into fall.

Here's a few that I like for summertime:

Velvet Pink Kitty

Pink Plastic Flamingo

any Strawberry Moon

Tiki Princess

Snow White

(really anything that has the icy, not minty, snow note, or lots of ozone, or is very aquatic)

Dorian

Lady Una, my go-to scent :wub2:

Berry Moon '09 (raspberry goodness)

ETA: for some reason, I get Berry Moon & Fruit Moon mixed up.

To these I would have to add:

Embalming Fluid

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Bat

Mouse's Long Sad Tale

some of the Liliths

all the peach goodness from Dragoncon

Besides the Lick Its, also the snowy things, all the Snowballs, and A Lady Tall and White, Skadi...

I have made some BPALS into alcohol sprays, and I am loving Lyonesse and French Love like that right now.

Edited by stellamaris

Tamora is one of my favourites and I think it's perfect for summer, it feels like wearing sunshine to me :) It's a GC so no trouble getting it as an imp.

"Amber, heliotrope, golden sandalwood, peach blossom and vanilla bean."

Fae and Aglaea are my favorite GC summer scents. I also like The King's Daughter a lot. Anything light and fruity, especially with peach or melon. Summer is peach season in Texas, so anything with peaches reminds me of summer.

I ended up wearing Mare Nectaris a lot last summer, and there was one day so hot I couldn't stand anything but Dormouse, which isn't even really my thing most of the time. In the meantime, I've also acquired Carnaval Diabolique, which really shouts "summer" to me too!

I like citrus and fresh mint in the summer, although my skin devours BPAL's citrus notes so I have to use a locket. I can recommend Baobhan Sith (one of my favorites) and Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat.

(all my other summer scents are from other companies, so I can't rec them here. :) )

My general go-to oils for summer are coconut blends like Lovers and a Fan and Black Pearl, or light/fresh smelling scents like Elf and Tenochtitlan, but when it's super, verging-on-triple-digits, 90% humidity, the-East-Coast-of-the-US-may-possibly-be-serving-as-one-of-the-circles-of-Hell hot, I go for really thick/heavy honey scents like O, which hold up better when I get all sweaty. (If only Snake Oil didn't contain patchouli, Womb Fury would probably be the perfect sweltering heat scent, but alas, all the honey in the world can't cover up the fact that Womb Fury has Snake Oil in it, and Snake Oil Is For Others and not for me).

Edited by Elspethdixon

I definitely tend to go lighter in the warm months, with Happy Baby In A Long Dress topping my list for sweltering east-coast heat. When the days are warm, but not scrape-me-off-the-pavement hot, I like sweet and fruity, like Strawberry Moon '09 / '12, Blackberry Jam and Scones or Coxcomb (which smells like blackberries on me); sweet and sexy like Ravenous or O; sweet and woodsy, like Tiki King! or Tombstone or an old-fashioned rich floral like Love Me.

Summer also tends to be when I branch out from BPAL, actually, too, so the rest of the stuff I wear isn't from the Lab. :)

My general go-to oils for summer are coconut blends like Lovers and a Fan and Black Pearl, or light/fresh smelling scents like Elf and Tenochtitlan, but when it's super, verging-on-triple-digits, 90% humidity, the-East-Coast-of-the-US-may-possibly-be-serving-as-one-of-the-circles-of-Hell hot, I go for really thick/heavy honey scents like O, which hold up better when I get all sweaty. (If only Snake Oil didn't contain patchouli, Womb Fury would probably be the perfect sweltering heat scent, but alas, all the honey in the world can't cover up the fact that Womb Fury has Snake Oil in it, and Snake Oil Is For Others and not for me).

Oh, this reminds me, I also wore some Sinus Amoris last summer. I have some "beat the heat" scents, and then I have "can't beat the heat, might as well join it" stuff like Sinus Amoris, which feels like it just sort of goes with the flow of being sultry and steamy.

(I'm the same way about winter really--I have "illusion of warmth" scents and also "it's cold, let's just embrace the cold" scents, depending on my mood.)