Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Diana

And There Was A Great Cry In Egypt

Dark myrrh, white sandalwood, amber, hyssop, frankincense, honey, cypress, red musk, cardamom and saffron.

Imp: woods and sap and - a little bit of citrus? and honey.

Wet: sweet amber and woods, and herbs (hyssop?).

Dry: Oh wow, this is amazing - dark smoke and bitter herbs and the round warmth of amber and woods. Wow! This is incredibly anguished. Love it.

Testing a well-aged imp, so I imagine certain notes were stronger back in 2006, but And There Was a Great Cry in Egypt is lovely. The amber, myrrh, hyssop, and cypress are the strongest notes on my skin, with the honey, sandalwood, frankincense, cardamom, saffron, and red musk just behind. The cypress is really wonderful here, and this smells like some very fancy handmade incense I have, minus the smoke. This is the kind of perfume that I find really relaxing: woods, amber and honey, a little musk, and spices. Had I had a greater notion ten years ago of the kinds of scents I like, I think I would have picked up a bottle. :)

I was very surprised (and pleased, but confused) to recently receive this as a frimp with an order. How aged is it, I wonder?

On the wand: Oh, my. This is lovely. A gorgeous and well-blended golden and slightly sweet resin. Can I have found the desert scent I've been craving? Is this a blend I can do even though it has red musk?

On my skin: This is a beautiful spicy desert oriental.

This is the first red musk fragrance that the red musk hasn't spoiled for me, which is probably because I don't smell it. Frankincense is dominant, then myrrh and other resins, and soft spices, all a bit sweetened, which may be the aged honey. (There is only a very light and blended honey note, though.) Everything is softened and toned, maybe an effect of age.

This is close to the skin. After an hour the amber steps forward a bit on my skin. The whole blend is fading quickly, though, and is but a resinous Egyptian ghost on my skin before long.

I thought I had reviewed this, but I must not have saved it when I decided that the first imp I tried of this had gone off. It smelled like old cooking oil.

Wet: Hmm A bit herbal. Comforting. Familiar. Soothing. Those are the thoughts I have about this, but it's hard to describe. Something about it reminds me of Hellhound. I had to look up the notes to see if I was crazy, but I am not, it's the hyssop, which I previously thought I didn't like. I do like it. I find it soothing.

Dry: I like this. I can't ever see wearing it, really, but I enjoy it. It's resinous and a bit herbal, and....different. And I like it. Doesn't last very long, on me, nor have much throw. Really glad I got to try some that hadn't gone off (glad I didn't just think the perfume was supposed to smell like that! )

THIS is a prime example of why not to judge a blend by how it smells in the bottle :uhuhuh:.

wet/in the bottle: i'm an incense/resin lover, but this smelled far too astringent/masculine/cologney and like the bad kind of woods (threatening hamster shavings). I was ready to instantly throw it in the swaps, but decided to give it a go since it really is a collection of many of my all time fave notes (and others that are usually at least OK with not one "death" note).

drydown: Within five minutes this developed into exactly what I wanted it to be - warm, but dry,  lightly spiced incense and wood. I don't really have anything else to add to all the glowing reviews, but I also agree that throw and wear is pretty light (esp for a resinous blend on me)

lesson learned to reserve judgment! :hammer:

This reminds me of those honey cereals, it's almost creepy how much it smells like that on me. It's sliiightly reddish, the honey, saffron and cardamom make this foody on me i'm guessing.