Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Diana

And There Was A Great Cry In Egypt

Dark myrrh, white sandalwood, amber, hyssop, frankincense, honey, cypress, red musk, cardamom and saffron.

straight sniff from the bottle is sharp, metallic and resinous...

once applied the lovely myrrh comes forefront...following closely behind
are the cardamom and frankincense...i could see this as being a male
oriented blend but i simply adore it...

after drying down the cardamom is very prevalent...then more herbaceous
and resinous....slightly powdery at the end....looooooong lasting & very complex scent here...

I dont really have anything unique to add to previous reviews, but wanted to echo that initially this smelled very strongly of men's cologne and it has dried into something resiny, incensy, slightly powdery and full of spices (but not cinnamony spices). If this type of scent appeals to you, I doubt you will be disappointed by the Great Cry. It has a lot of strength to it, but at the same time in an almost subtle way.

at first: lots of myrrh and a bit of warm cardamom. there's a lot going on here.

on: the amber has come forward and this is a nice, sweet incense.

2 hours later: this is really lovely. it's more incense-y now, but still sweet.

overall: this is nice: a sweet, deep, slightly powdery incense blend.

Initially this smelled alarmingly generic cologne-y to me. Then I put it on. Soft spiced woods and incense bloomed. The range is subtle, but it clings for *hours*, with no sign of becoming too loud or too sweet. On me the myrrh becomes something reminiscent of the deep richness of coffee or dark chocolate, without being foody -- perhaps cocoa liqueur? Oooh. This one gets added to the "favorites" list as well. If you like subtle wood and resin scents that are gender neutral this is definitely one which you shouldn't neglect.

Edited by greywind

I got this from SeventhSins amazing decant circle :P

In the imp: Very woody - it does remind me of a cologne, or insence or something...it's pretty intense in the vial, and I'll be honest that I'm a little intimidated by it.

On the skin: Very musky, very woodsy - this strikes me as a more masculine scent..I don't think it's for me really - I'm not into woodsy types of scents that are this...dark. The honey is underlying and it does tone down that really strong musk...

Dry down: The cypress really comes out on me...a lot. As time went by, the myrrh really showed up as well.

I've given it to my fiance to try - it may work a lot better on him, and I might like it better on him. As nice as this is - dark, woody scents...just not for me. I can't embrace them.

This scent definitely evoked Egypt - all yellow, dry and sun-heated. Unfortunately, like all the Egypt-themed blends I've tried so far, this was just too dry for my tastes. A lovely scent, though - those who like dry-warm-spicy will be really happy with this.

For the first hour or so, this was very spicy and warm and incense-y. I could smell the amber, just a bit, but for once (on me) it wasn't trying to dominate. Very lovely and so well-blended I couldn't pick much else out individually.

Over time, it grew a little sweeter. I guess the amber and honey decided to join forces and show those incense ruffians a thing or two. Still warm and deliciously complex. My only complaint is that it's much fainter on me than I might like, given how gorgeous it smells.

In short, I love this. Love, love, love. It reminds me a little of The Masque at first and Et Lux Fuit as it winds down, and seeing as I have bottles of both of those, I should probably just try and be content with my imp for the time being. I really hate being sensible. But...I did study Egyptology in college, so it's only thematically appropriate that I own this, right? Right?

Hmmm, maybe I should start a thread on how we justify our BPAL orders. (I stubbed my toe. BPAL! I got an A on my quiz. BPAL! The cat tore through my yarn stash. BPAL! This fall I'll be taking 3 classes and working full time at a job that's 2 hours away. BPAL, dammit!)

And There Was a Great Cry in Egypt is such a beautiful, emotive painting, I was not sure what to expect from the scent. I adore Beth's Egyptian fragrances, particularly the Stations of The Sun, so I was trying not to let my imagination run away with itself and set myself up for disappointment.

This blend is so soft and warm and deep and rich. Beautifully complex. I am very glad Beth listed the notes for this one, because I would have been lost left to my own resources. I can't decide whether it smells most like resins or spices or hot skin.

I don't get a great deal of throw from this oil, but when I press my nose to my wrist and inhale I can smell the burnished red colour that flows through the centre of the painting. Wow.

Warm and delicious! At first, I get an overwhelming blast of resins and incense. But then it quckly fades to amber (reminding me a bit of Obsession) and then at last my favorite note, myrrh, comes out. While the scent is really light on me (such that I have to use a huge amount), it strangely last for a long time. I'll be ordering often :P .

This is a sweet, warm, perfumic blend. I think the myrrh and the amber are the most prominent right now (I've had it on about fifteen minutes), and it's very golden and light. I bought this for the honey note, so I'm hoping that comes out a bit more as it morphs with my skin chemistry, but it's already very beautiful.

There's the red musk in the background, and the frankincense works well with that to make it kind of smoky and incense-y. I don't really get any of the white sandalwood or cypress, because I always expect woods to be dry scents, and there's really nothing dry about this blend.

I can't pick out the hyssop, other than that there's a little tiny almost undetectible touch of floral to the blend.

this is beautiful. it was the first Salon oil that I tried, and it's amazing. in the bottle, it's a bit strong and I was worried it would be overpowering, but once I put it on, it mellowed out and became a gorgeous spicy scent that I like a lot.

This is a very nice scent, and lasts for hours. I get honey, combined with assorted resins (amber, myrrh for sure). It is warm, sweeter at the beginning with the strong honey that softens to a lingering sweetness underlying the resin. I don't get any red musk at all, and I don't get much cardamon either. This is the kind of scent that I end up sniffing my wrist over and over, because I like it, but I don't know if I love it, but I keep sniffing my wrist! That should probably tell me something. :P I will say that it gets a little sharper the longer it wears, but I am mean several hours in, at this point. And I could still smell this one, oh, 8 hours after application, maybe more. I know I was stunned at how long it lasted.

In the vial: Quite masculine and very heavy on the incense notes.

Wet: The amber takes over. It's a gloriously warm scent, and has a real sense of being something sacred. The incense notes fade into the background somewhat, and the warm amber, honey and sandalwood take over. Which is the most dominant changes from hour to hour.

Dry: It's almost twelve hours since I put this on and I'm still getting whiffs of it. It's still very warm, with undertones of the myrrh and frankincense. The other scents occasionally peek out. I don't get much of the red musk in this, except as a foundation to all the other notes.

I love all the notes in this blend except hyssop(not sure what it smells like) and cypress(can be overwhelming sometimes). Wet, this is sharp and perfumey and very resiny. The myrrh and frankincense dominate, with sandalwood coming in second and some cypress, but not too much. Once dry, it fades quite a bit but the scent develops beautifully. The inital scent blast fades down and warm spices and amber show up with a tickle of red musk. The honey is just barely detectable and gives the right amount of sweetness.

I'm sad at how much it fades on me- pretty much as soon as it dries I can only smell it if I shove my nose against my skin and sniff really slow and deep. I hope that this will age well and have more staying power as I really like this scent!

Edited by birdiefu

Very perfume-like. I smell the myrrh and frankincense.

Whoa - my skin is getting a bit red. Cardemom may not agree with me...

I love saffron. I am a Saffon Whore.

In bottle: Heavy, like the cologne in antique bottles for sale, aged for years and years on a dusty shelf.

Wet: Sweetness, the myrrh, sandalwood.

Dry: Saffon, saffron, saffron. I love it. I am slathered in it. I am in love.

A.

Everything has been said, I'll have to repeat. In bottle: astringent men's aftershave, but I LOVE men's aftershave, so that doesn't daunt me. Wet: Resins and sandalwood BLOOM, wafting off in glorious throw. Dry: The amber and musk glow on my skin closely, it is much lighter, but I have the marvelous incense-woody-spicy thing going that I adore so. It IS golden brown. Totally gender neutral, I feel very feminine with it, as opposed to smelling feminine.

This does the beautiful painting justice.

i don't care for this one much in the bottle. it is very cologne-ish, but not in a particularly extraordinary way.

after about 10 minutes on my skin, it grows into a heavy, resin, amber delight. definitely not a girly or feminine scent. very sophisticated for a night on which velvet would be more appropriately worn than chiffon, and i'm happy to keep it in my repertoire for such occasions!

I also got a strong hit of generic cologne from this at first, and then it dried down to a warm scent predominated by red musk (I seem to amp that one), and little else I could pick out, except maybe the dryness of saffron and a little amber. It reminded me a lot of The Masque of the Red Death, probably due to the similar musk.

Oddly, it worked really well layered with Strawberry Moon, of all things (a happy accident when I forgot I was already wearing a scent), so I might keep my imp just for that layering combo in the future. :P The resinous musk was just what that happy, fruity scent needed for grounding.

And there was a Great cry in Egypt: I won this one off of Ebay and what else can I say about this spiritually sensual blend that has not been said except that it is right up my alley! :D :D I can smell that exotic spicyness of the Saffron, Musk, Cardemom and the dryness of the deserts of Egypt. This would also layer really nice with Old Morroco. :D I love it, I may get one more bottle. :P

Edited by Reinaluna

In the bottle: perfume-y in an exotic way. I can smell the myrrh and frankincense.

On me I get a bit of civet. This is lovely and resin-y. It reminds me of Czernborg in some way. It's a very sweet scent with a good throw. As it dries, the myrrh becomes stronger.

This is very blended to me -- musky, resinous, and rich, with a bit of a rich citrus note sneaking in for a bit on me. It does give the impression of a Biblical scent. The scent is very light for the style, with almost no throw on me, and I need to stick my nose on my arm to smell it much, so I won't buy a bottle, but it's a beautiful creation.

I should like this one based on the ingredients. *sniff* Soft linen-smelling sandalwood with a hint of musk. The honey is there, but fairly subtle. Not really getting the frankinscense or cyprus.

I thought I'd really like this one from looking at all the notes--spices and resins usually love me, and there are no dealbreakers in here. But this scent starts out as something really harsh and almost headache-inducing, then fades into something barely there and not spicy in the least. I know lots of people like this one, but it just doesn't work on me.

In the vial: spicy resinous and lovely.

Wet: much sweeter than I expected.

Dry: this scent turned sickly sweet on my skin. I am finding that honey often disagrees with my chemistry. I hoped that it would morph, but the scent just turned powdery in addition to sweet :P