Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
oakmoss

How full is full?

(Moderators, please delete this if it's not appropriate here -- I did go sniffing around for a better place to put it! :P )

I just got two 5ml bottles from the Arkham collection. One of them is full about halfway up the neck (where the little ledge is) and the other is full to just below the "shoulder." Is that normal, or did the lesser bottle maybe not get as much as it was supposed to? The only reason I care is because this is one I'm 99% sure I want to trade for another LE, and even though I haven't tested it, it rather looks like I did, at least to me. I've only gotten bottles on eBay or in a forum swap before, when I knew they had been tested. What is the normal fullness for a brand-new lab-sent bottle?

Edited by oakmoss

It can vary bottle to bottle. What you described is not unusual. I never even looked until I saw this post, but all of my bottles are a little off from each other. :P

To be honest, I don't really check the level when I tear into a brand new bottle, so I don't know the exact answer to that. I guess it's safe to assume that the one full to just below the shoulder has 5mls of fluid in it...and perhaps the other was overfilled by just a wee bit?

(Moderators, please delete this if it's not appropriate here -- I did go sniffing around for a better place to put it!  :P )

I just got two 5ml bottles from the Arkham collection. One of them is full about halfway up the neck (where the little ledge is) and the other is full to just below the "shoulder." Is that normal, or did the lesser bottle maybe not get as much as it was supposed to? The only reason I care is because this is one I'm 99% sure I want to trade for another LE, and even though I haven't tested it, it rather looks like I did, at least to me. I've only gotten bottles on eBay or in a forum swap before, when I knew they had been tested. What is the normal fullness for a brand-new lab-sent bottle?

i will agree w/ velvet sky, i have imped out an entire bottle before and had more then 5 imps in it. i think it was overfilled from the lab :P

I think that at about the shoulder is 'full'. :P

Most of my bottles have been filled to just under the "shoulder." Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. :P It varies bottle to bottle.

Thanks, everyone! I'm going to ask the moderators to pull this post now. I appreciate your help! :P

I know that my bottles from the Lab have varied in the level of fullness as well. Sometimes this is necessary for the reducer caps. The Lab did use reducer caps for a while before switching to the polyseal caps, and there are some of us (well, me) who buy reducer caps elsewhere (like from Nanda Oils) and need the bit of emptiness for the reducer cap to fit in properly.

If you're going to swap, I don't think the swappee (?) will have an issue as long as you let him/her know that the bottle was tested only a little bit, or no testing was done at all. If the oil reaches the bottle's "shoulders," I think that's adequate enough for most people, especially for those who have received BPAL oils before from the Lab.

-doreen

Actually these days you can generally expect the level to be somewhere between the label and the cap. I believe they are now exactly 1ML, and just like with the 5ML bottles they will appear more or less "full" depending on how well the particular imp was made.

the imps I've gotten from the lab have been mostly pretty much even between the top of the label and the bottom edge of the cap, but I've had some which hovered right at or slightly below the label as well. However some labels are attached high and some are attached low...so there's another factor to consider when judging imp fullness by label height. :D

It's all just wonderful smelly goodness as far as I'm concerned!

:P

I swear we've had this discussion before. Each measure of oil that goes into the bottles and vials are calibrated. The imps are 1/32 of an ounce (IIRC). The glass in each bottle/vial can differ, which is you may get bottles that are full into the neck or only up to the shoulders. It is still the same amount of oil.

ETA: The viscosity of the oil can also make a difference in the level of fullness.

I swear we've had this discussion before. Each measure of oil that goes into the bottles and vials are calibrated. The imps are 1/32 of an ounce (IIRC). The glass in each bottle/vial can differ, which is you may get bottles that are full into the neck or only up to the shoulders. It is still the same amount of oil.

ETA: The viscosity of the oil can also make a difference in the level of fullness.

Yes, I know I had read how much an imp contains, but I had no idea the vials would vary so much.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will feel more secure in my swapping now.

I know this discussion goes round and round, but I'm wondering what people think about this:

in my halloweenie order, my three halloween 5 mls were less full than usual. All Souls and Pumpking Queen were right at the shoulder of the bottle (which is fine).

But Punkie night is only full to the top of the label, which is almost an imp low I think. Now if I keep it, no big deal, because I haven't gone through a 5 ml. yet. But if I want to swap it, it looks like I took an imp out, though I didn't.

What do you all think? Should I email the lab about it? I'm not sure what they'd be able to do, frankly, since it is just low, and there are no imps for this. Or should I just write it off as a one-time-in-three-years thing?

eta: oops! :P Just read further into this thread and saw at the shoulder is full. But I am still wondering what people think about the Punkie Night....

(truthfully, I probably just won't worry about it, but....)

Edited by cuervosueno

I just got an a 6 pack of imps from the lab today and I noticed that three of them were below label level before I'd even opened them. The labels didn't appear to be put on any higher or lower than any of the other imps I've gotten with lab labels. :P

I guess as with anything that has the human factor in it, there's always going to be some variances.

I just got an a 6 pack of imps from the lab today and I noticed that three of them were below label level before I'd even opened them. The labels didn't appear to be put on any higher or lower than any of the other imps I've gotten with lab labels. :P

I guess as with anything that has the human factor in it, there's always going to be some variances.

To quote Andrabell:

"I swear we've had this discussion before. Each measure of oil that goes into the bottles and vials are calibrated. The imps are 1/32 of an ounce (IIRC). The glass in each bottle/vial can differ, which is you may get bottles that are full into the neck or only up to the shoulders. It is still the same amount of oil.

ETA: The viscosity of the oil can also make a difference in the level of fullness."

This means that variations in how high or low the oil is when the vials come from the lab is *totally normal*. They all have the same amount of oil in them, but it won't always *look* the same due to oil and glass variations.

So...what do you do when you buy a re-sell bottle and the seller says it was only sniffed and new from the lab, then you get it and it is full only to the top of the label?

So...what do you do when you buy a re-sell bottle and the seller says it was only sniffed and new from the lab, then you get it and it is full only to the top of the label?

Sometimes that's how they come from the lab. They use a calibrated machine to fill the bottles. The bottles can vary greatly with regards to glass thickness etc, and the oils can have different viscosity. Those variables mean that different oils in different bottles can appear to be at different levels, but in truth, they measure out 5ml of liquid. You can't go by appearance. You need to measure the oil itself.

Sometimes that's how they come from the lab. They use a calibrated machine to fill the bottles. The bottles can vary greatly with regards to glass thickness etc, and the oils can have different viscosity. Those variables mean that different oils in different bottles can appear to be at different levels, but in truth, they measure out 5ml of liquid. You can't go by appearance. You need to measure the oil itself.

Ahhh...makes sense...and upon re-reading the thread, it says that repeatedly.

..:: palms forehead ::..

I've just never seen one so low.

Thanks!

I have an odd question and I think, it fits best in this thread.

I bought two bottles from a forum member and they are only full to the top of the label. I was wondering, because she described them as only tested and told me, that's how she got them. The bottles are from Dark Delicacies and are probably 4 years old. Were the bottles from DD not as full as they are now back in 2007?

lilium:

To quote Andrabell:

"I swear we've had this discussion before. Each measure of oil that goes into the bottles and vials are calibrated. The imps are 1/32 of an ounce (IIRC). The glass in each bottle/vial can differ, which is you may get bottles that are full into the neck or only up to the shoulders. It is still the same amount of oil.

ETA: The viscosity of the oil can also make a difference in the level of fullness."

This means that variations in how high or low the oil is when the vials come from the lab is *totally normal*. They all have the same amount of oil in them, but it won't always *look* the same due to oil and glass variations.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your quick reply, evanesce. But I guess, there's at least one imp missing in both bottles, I don't think that's because of viscosity. :umm:

Lil, what she's saying, is you can't know that. The variations that happen in glass making cause differences within each bottle. One could have a thicker 'inside' than another, making it look like one bottle is fuller than the other when the truth is that they are filled with the same amount of liquid.

They only way to know for sure is to measure out what is in the bottle itself. Getting all the liquid out to do so is almost impossible, I know.

Edited by saralaughs