Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Soothes frazzled nerves, brings serenity to the heart and tranquility to the home.

I can not believe I'm the first to review this. Maybe it's misplaced

Scentwise, this seems like a fairly simple lavendar. A light one, not a reach out a thwap you upside the head lavendar. I think there's something more there though because it makes my skin tingle a little. However, my perceptions of scent may be a little off today, for cycle reasons. It's not bad, but I'm just not a lavendar fan. If I were wearing this just for scent, well, I wouldn't. :P

Utility-wise, this is good stuff. I have had one hell of a day. Short of sleep, started my period, woke up to find out that a friend may have cancer and a few hours later my fiance got into a traffic accident. (He's fine, at least so he says. I won't buy it until I see him in person.)

If I ever needed peace, now seemed like a good time, especially since I can't find (gah!) my bottle of white light. Since th I dabbed this on my 3rd eye, and the base of my neck (energy center there is supposed to be more connectected to the emotional/animal self than the rational). I would've used more, and I think I probably should, but dammit, I have snake oil on and I don't want to overwhelm that. :D Okay, so I'm a twit, but I like my snake oil.

The result: Before was shaking and crying. After: not crying, just took about a half dozen slightly shaky breaths, and even that's smothed out now. Funny thing is, I feel solid in the center, but shaky limbs. I think I really should use a bit more of this on the shoulders, elbows, palms, knees & feet. I think instead I'll just wait until tonight and annoint my shabbas candles with it.

In a word: Effective.

EDIT: Just wanted to say that I use these on my shabbas candles most weeks these days. (Sometimes I use white light instead, or if I'm tired not at all.) I very much like it that way. It gives some peaceful oomph to the entire house. Very happy with it.

NOTE: This review thread is for the Twilight Alchemy Lab oil. BPAL also sent out some freebie prototypes of an unreleased oil named Peace; you can find those reviews here. --Shollin Edited by Shollin

Huh, I thought I had reviewed this. As far as scent goes, this is nearly pure lavendar to my nose. I love lavendar, so this is a good thing, but if you really don't like it, this blend may not be very peaceful for you.

As far as effectiveness...well, let's put it this way. The day I got this in the mail, I had a truly heinous day at work. I was just so glad to get home and away from the insanity for a while, but the stress and irritation was still clinging to me.

I sat at my dining room table, opened my TAL package, and took a sniff of Peace. Instantly - instantly! - I was calmer. I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply, and I swear it was like someone took a very soft mallet and thwacked me gently between the eyes. I wanted to fold up and take a nap right there. I couldn't, though, so I just stayed very still for a few moments, gathered my energy, and got up, feeling completely serene. This works tremendously well for me.

Edited by Thorne

I purchased this oil to anoint my Absolution Conjure bag, but I'm using it mainly to anoint candles and use with wax tarts as it smells absolutely heavenly to me!

The main note is lavender - my beautiful, soothing lavender. *beatific smile* There are other notes, including a cleansing menthol-like herbal one, but lavender predominates.

As for its intended purpose, it really does its job. It's very calming when there's fighting in the house, inevitable with an adult child and my husband living under the same roof! I also love dabbing a little on my temples at night when I want to wind down. In conjunction with Somnus and TAL Nocturne, I fall asleep with a minimum of mental rehashing of the day, just drift into restful sleep.

It's a wonderful blend I'd highly recommend to folks who need a little peace.

Reviewed primarily for scent, rather than for intent:

In the imp: a very sweet lavender - since I love lavender, this is very soothing to me already.

On me, wet: lots of lavender, a little eucalyptus and something else herby and gentle beneath it, giving a stable feel to this.

On me, dry: lavender and mentholish herbs. This is pretty unvarying and unmorphing.

Verdict: This did indeed make me feel soothed, after a day of wranging with php and css. But no more so than something like Safari does.

I used it for intent. My husband and I had an argument last night that had me incredibly frustrated, shaky, and close to tears - something we Scorpios despise! I fled upstairs and kicked my shoes off in the closet, and turned around to find myself looking at the shelf of TALs and Limited Editions on the closet wall, and I reached for Peace.

I was barely able to think "Please, just a little personal peace ... even just for a minute" before I wrenched the bottle open. I took one shuddering sniff and instantly, the world was a better place. I could take a deeper breath by the second sniff, and by the third sniff it was a long, slow deep inhale and I wasn't shaking any more. The lump in my throat was gone by the next breath. I swiped this across my forehead and my heart, flopped across the bed, and realized

My mother sometimes lectures me about "praying for the peace that passes all understanding." Not to offend anyone, but this is the closest I've ever come to that particular state. I've got Peace around my neck today, coming through my scent locket, because after last night I didn't know how I'd get through today without it.

For the first time in weeks, I'm not obscenely stressed. I'm not desperately unhappy, because I'm able to tell myself some of these things are going to be all right, no matter what they seem like right now. I'm not irritated or frustrated, because I can see that some things I have control over, some things really matter, and some things are better for me to let go of right now - and that letting go of them is okay.

Call it Peace, call it the ultimate stress-reliever, whatever. It has certainly soothed my frazzled nerves and brought serenity to my heart.

As for the scent, it's a very soft-edged lavender; the first time I put this on I would have sworn some celery-seed gardenia flitted across the middle of things.

Edited by jj_j

This is one of the few TAL's I use almost daily lately.

My work is extremely stressful, and I have a lot of trouble settling down at night when I get home, going to sleep at night. Just a little dab of Peace, and.. it's like instant relaxation. I sleep so soundly and I don't wake up so much during the night either.

I've found that pairing this with Clarity really helps after "one of THOSE days" to shake off any mental blocks due to stress, or during those really stressful times when you feel like you're "going in a million different directions".

Scentwise, it's very light, barely there, lavender, soothing, like a good cup of tea.

Edited by Bain

Used for intent, reviewed for both scent and intent.

This is a very soft, sweet, gentle lavender. I used to wear pure lavender essential oil in my hair as perfume, but Peace is nowhere near as sharp and strong as pure EO. Rather, it's gentle and soothing, and seems to have some other soft, comforting scent that I can't quite identify in the blend.

Intent: Nothing short of amazing (as I have found with most of the TALs). Not only did Peace make me feel calm and peaceful (after a horrible and frantic day), but it actually brought up faint emotional memories of very early childhood, of feeling warm and safe and happy in a way that I haven't felt since I was five years old or so.

Highly recommended. Peace is yet another TAL that I consider indispensable.

A light, almost watery lavender. This waffled back and forth on the will-it-give-me-a-headache scale when I first put it on, but it didn't after all. I wore it to bed and was out like a light and slept like a corpse! Wonderful for relaxing your mind and calming your thoughts.

The scent of Peace isn't quite as lingering as the other TALs I've tried but the effect is definitely there.

In terms of fragrance, Peace smells like a soft, citrusy lavender, with perhaps some eucalyptus. It's subdued and soothing.

In terms of efficacy, I just put it on so I will add to this review later - but it imparts a sense of positive energy. It's peaceful, but doesn't make me feel like taking a nap or anything. Quite the opposite, it makes me feel like going about my day with a calm energy and lightness.

Fabulous. I am in love with the TAL blends so far. They have all been gorgeous!

5 out of 5

I used this as step four of a five step ritual in order to relax me and prepare me for the holiday season. Scentwise, I got citrus and lavender from this. I lit a silver-blue candle and did a meditation in front of it. Although I immediately expected to connect with this oil, I actually had a slightly harder time of it at first. However, I was able to connect with it when I imagined this oil as resonant with the Crowley Two of Swords (the Peace card). Imagining myself behind the 'shield' of the crossed swords, which are at rest, but can be "activated" if needed, did provide a sense of peace and protection.

The entire ritual was overshadowed by the first step of White Light, so I feel like I need to use this on its own to get a better sense of what it can individually contribute to my personal development, but the ritual I used it in was quite a success, so I'm grateful for that!

Peace is a wonderful scent, lavender and a pinch of white rose.

Effects calm the mind and relaxes the body. A smell that creates comfort and makes smile serenely. :P

I've been kind of anstly and somewhat down lately, so wanted to try some Peace to see if it would calm me down somewhat. As for scent, this is kind of medicinal and a bit resiny, not really digging the smell of it, but we'll see how the effect is.

After a couple of hours, I'm not so antsy, but still kind of down. I remember I had an imp of this a couple of years back, and it seemed much more effective. Will update if any changes.

So I tried this again, only just before going to bed. It seems to work better when you are still, and not busy doing household things, for me anyways. Not sure if it brought me what I intended, as the experience was strange to say the least. I did feel kind of 'high', just before falling asleep, and there were 'light' energy waves going throughout my body. If anyone has had a Reiki session done on them, it was just like that. After I felt myself leave my body, I got scared and washed it off. I did have a great sleep, and maybe this was just what I needed to find peace. I'm pretty sold on the powerful effect TAL's have.

Edited by milo

I tried this out for the first time this morning- opening day of a new school year. I put it on my pulse points on my wrists and my neck. I have a hard time placing what it's composed of, except I'm pretty sure about lavender, and there's a sweetness coming from somewhere. It's crazy, but I felt almost...tingly just a couple of minutes after putting this on, and I did feel a total sense of relaxation and calm. I almost felt a little buzzed or something. I took a couple of deep breaths with my wrist up against my nose, and each time I did I got an extra surge of the calmness. Normally on my drive to school I'm tense and antsy and anxious, but this morning I was totally chilled and listened to my music like I was on a drive for pleasure. I could tell that the calm wore off about two hours later, but I only put on a tiny bit. It may need reapplication to stay potent. I was very pleased with both the scent of the oil and the result, and I'll be using it again for sure.

There's a lot of lavendar in here and something else like rose or geranium which makes it a lovely soft smell. I can imagine a calm, peaceful and cosy living room in the evening when smelling this. As others have said it doesn't make me feel sleepy, it just makes me feel calm. I may have to keep this by my bed for use when my mind what stop fretting during the night!

I will update with how it works when I have used it. I imagine that I will anoint a candle and have it burning in the house.

I bought a decant of this from someone on the fora recently. I don't use TAL oils that often and am not really one for ritual oils or ritual in general. This one, however, really struck me. I just wore it as a perfume when I needed a break from the noise in my head, and it helped me feel really, well, peaceful. It smells lovely and was very effective for me. I imagine if you used it in a ritual, it would be even more so.

In terms of the scent, it doesn't seem that lavender-y to me. It's definitely not the sharp lavender that I associate most with bpal. Puddingirl may be right about the geranium. I've yet to find a bpal with rose in it that I can wear, so I don't think it's that either. At any rate, it's a well-blended, creamy, sweet floral without... really being any of those things somehow.

Got this in the mail as I came home from work fighting traffic, etc. I figured a dab wouldn't hurt and I wanted to try it out. I accidentally ended up dumping about 1/2 an imps worth on myself/the carpet. OOPS.

However, I don't know what to say except I had an instant smile on my face. This stuff is bottled instant happiness. I should rephrase, instant calm zen happiness. Awesome stuff.

I hesitated trying out Peace before because I am a White Light devotee and thought they served the same purpose, but now I understand the difference. Peace is to feel GOOD, and White Light (for me at least) is to calm the F*%k down when I'm in a horrible panic.

Wonderful. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

I spilled ¾ of this on the rock I was sitting on at the cabin, just after dawn during a really simple candle ritual. I figured I just needed more and offering it to the Earth was fine with me. Later that day the weather and Lake were completely calm for about3 or 4 days. It was pretty strange, I have never seen it so consistently calm.

I burned another candle with White Light the next day, I decided to use Peace first because I was in terrible need of it's energy and I was afraid of an uncomfortable emotional release if I didn't use peace first. I had intended to use it after the white light but thought better of it. I napped all day except for waking to eat after that, I still went to bed at sunset and didn't awake until dawn the next day.

When I had to go back to work which is where I felt the most stress at the time, I had a great big feeling of calm again. My heart chakra was more open and I felt more like myself again.

Aside from the stressful work situation which I I have since moved on from, this was about a month after My wedding which was extremely stressful to plan and 2 onths after my dad passed away, all during my Saturn return.

Since this experience I use Peace almost daily to bring myself into alignment with this energy and as a daily act of gratitude to try to offer it back out to the world.

Great stuff. Truly great. Instant, massive shift in energy when I use it.

The scent of this oil is a simple lavender, maybe with some sweet/ tart thing. Lavender sweet tarts....

As for effectiveness, I really like how it works. I swiped it over my 3rd & 4th chakras before running out the door for Family Hell weekend. The full blast of scent calmed me right down & added a touch of happy. As the day wore on I'd get wafts of scent just when I needed it. The effect was immediate. You know when you listen to a jazz radio station, and the jazz dj has that 'cool jazz' voice? I felt like that voice whenever a waft of scent passed by. Beautiful. And the effects echoed through the next day.

Sounds like I should get a bottle....

Lavender + black licorice. Herbal, really calming, scent's not too strong but definitely noticeable. I dab it on pulse points like a perfume, because I do love the scent and would wear it as a perfume. Instantly soothing, and also makes a good sleep blend.

I got a whiff of lavender, but a fair amount of anise/black licorice.

I wore this yesterday for an all-staff retreat. I find large groups stressful, and trying to build a safe space/be vulnerable when certain team members don't value that work and/or think it's not "work" is damaging. Inevitably, we had the "this is stupid, why are we wasting our time" moment, but it didn't affect me as much as I thought.

mr. zee_zee also had to work late yesterday, and because of where I was, I was able to turn that into an opportunity for "me time" instead of fretting.

I think I might try this out while driving ;)

Long story short, one of my projects is causing me major heartburn and I had to step in to get several groups communicating again after several weeks of "that's not MY job". The team lead responsible (while not adept at solving the root problem) very adroitly spun it to her manager/my sponsor that I was interfering and it had been under control the whole time. At my next meeting with the sponsor and lead I considered using Lionheart, Crucible of Courage, or Power, but my hand was oddly drawn to Peace. The meeting was surprisingly civil despite her recent not so passive aggressiveness. I didn't get the feeling anything was solved permanently, but there was a feeling of detente or at least a "to be continued later". It was a temporary respite, but I'll take it.

Scent wise I thought I detected chamomile and something that reminded me of White Light.

I am so excited to finally have a bottle of Peace!

I smelled lavender like most people but now I'm also smelling some violet, which I quite like. I also smell vanilla or tonka. Peace smells beautiful. I will add more to this review after I use it for its intended purpose tomorrow.

ETA: What a beautiful oil. I am a very high stress person and although this oil doesn't necessarily calm me, it is so beautiful that I cannot stay angry or frustrated. Beautiful.

Edited by Herb Girl

Like Mattie, I bought this to use for anointing my Absolution conjure bag.

I wish I had bought this years ago!

It's a lavender-dominant scent and the variety of lavender used is light, soothing and calming, rather than heavy and soporific, (though this could well be used as a sleep blend if one is tightly wound up and can't sleep.)

There are some medicinal herbs underneath, possibly chamomile? Definitely something camphorated, but that could well be the lavender.

I'm definitely going to enjoy working with Peace.

In the bottle there is definitely that heavy lavender that others mentioned, but I also get something that smells like violet flower, and it continues after I've applied it. It might be what some folks have mentioned as seeming like chamomile, but whereas chamomile has a green, reddy sweetness, violet flowers have a sweet-but-acrid thing going on that I'm getting from this. As with all TAL oils, I don't get them for scent, and usually wear just a few drops and then layer with a complimentary perfume. I'd probably layer this with a thick chocolate like Bliss or else a favorite lavender, like Happy Baby In A Long Dress.

As for intent, I'm an anxious person, which is why I was interested in trying this out. so far, it's just lovely. It gives me a similar feeling that I get from taking Bach Flower Rescue Remedy, like it's just a lovely and gentle way to take the edge off when things are feeling especially overwhelming.

I suspect I'll be getting lots of use out of this! :wub2: