Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
LiberAmoris

The Pool of Tears

A sea of salty tears drowning out Alice's light floral perfume.

Salty, watery flowers. I don't do watery scents at all, but this is one of those BPALs that captures a concept so perfectly! It really does smell like tears.

imp: aquatic lavender.

wet: much more aquatic once on but it mixes with the lavender in a most pleasant way.

dry: the lavender fades away leaving only the aquatic note which is soft and mellow.

I reaaaaaaally like this in the vial. And I reaaaaaaaally like it wet. I love aquatics, and I love white florals.

Unfortunately, after about 30 minutes it turns into men's cologne on me! (Cool Water, anyone?) If my hubby wore cologne I'd love for him to wear this, but he won't.

In the bottle: Salty water.

First on: Salty floral water. It reminds me of the smell of a clean ocean (i.e. not the ones in SoCal) like up in Monterey with flowers growing on the cliffs of the beach.

Drydown: Salty lily. I kinda like it until I detect a sour note underneath, and realize that in a few hours, this will burn my nose.

Overall: Just not gonna work. I really liked it at first too.

This is incredible. It really, strongly reminds me of the appropriate scene in Alice. I can't believe how much it smells like . . . water. Flowing, overflowing, blue water. And daffodils. And tulips too - lovely, lovely tulips. It's like Amsterdam's baby sister.

Edited by pinkpepper

Quite sharp lavender when wet, but the Pool softens as it dries down...so to speak. (Can a pool dry down and still be a pool?) It settles into a clean floral-aquatic; reminds me of Amsterdam and also Dormouse, although I like Dormouse's peony better than Pool's lavender. The slight sweetness at the end is almost like violet-candy, but very faint--old-fashioned and pretty. This is nice but very soft; a good one for when you can't be wearing a "loud" scent.

The Pool of Tears is a soft, forlorn, and gentle layer of salty tears over a soft and sweet, innocent floral perfume. I tested this quite a while ago but it was the first true "aquatic" blend that I fell head over heels in love with. Something about it is so gentle and melancholy.

I got this as a free imp with my last order. I loved it, even though it doesn't seem to be strong enough for me.

I'll do my best with a review, but I don't know what most things smell like so I just have to make imagery. :P

In the imp: Watery flowers. Very soft and nice, but seems sad.

On me: I have the type of skin that keeps the same scent the perfume was in the bottle. I suppose I'm lucky that way! But anyway, still soft and watery flowers, though a bit lighter than in the vial.

After a few hours: It's been about 5 hours since I put it on, and I can only smell it if I put my nose right on my skin. Lovely, but not quite long-lasting on me.

Edited by Anarane

In Vial: blend of fruit, floral and something else. maybe its the salt water

Wet :a little floral, a little sweet, blended with the aquatic notes

Drydown: Not as sweet and perfumy as some of the other floral blends. It does not give the headache that some do. I have never smelled any of the aquatic oils before. I like this because it is not as sweet, but still smells like a light perfume.

Evoking Color: Light yellow

Edited by gchris

In the imp: salty florals.

On me, wet: still salty florals. Some of the individual flowers are coming out nicely. I think i smell lily and rose? Not sure.

On me, dry: oh, this is really beautiful. I'd worried that it wouldn't be very strong on me, but it's actually surprisingly potent. There's a definite salty aquatic note here, but it doesn't smell "sad" to me per se-- more like the feeling of relief you get after you've had a good cry.

Throw and duration: both average good. Pool of Tears lasted 6+ hours on me, which was a nice surprise.

Overall: i really liked this. It wasn't overwhelmingly or cloyingly floral; just a simple, pretty floral base with the salty tear scent mixed in. I'm definitely keeping my imp and may buy a bottle at some point in the future.

Imp: Slightly salty and gren with a base of florals.

Wet: Salt water spa treatment.

Dry: I still get saltiness, and the florals have amped up a bit. Surprisingly, even with the florals this is not a sweet scent. It kind of smells like a really fancy dryer sheet.

Throw: Minimal.

Overall: This will be decanted into some jojoba for the bath. I like it, and I think it would work well in the bath water, but I don't think it's going to get much rotation on my wrists.

On me, The Pool of Tears is a salty, aquatic floral. It's very pretty and perfect for Spring. I love it.

I'm in search of a tears scent, and unlike many of the salty aquatics on my wish list, this one is a readily available GC—so I bought an imp to check it out.

In vial: Something spicy, and along side that—yes, I do believe this is my first brush with an aquatic. I wasn't sure what that would smell like in a perfume.

On me: It's salty. That's a hard scent to identify or describe—but it's there. It makes the aquatic a little bit sharp. Easier to identify is a vague floral base that is generically "perfumey" in a very mainstream way. I want to find carnation in it, but mostly it's just a mixed classic floral. The perfumey note is too heavy against the aquatics, which are fairly light and pale. The throw is pretty strong. However, after the first half an hour the perfuminess and the throw both tone down. It's a nice change. At this point the scent is salty, a bit sweet, with just a breath of florals beneath it all. It's also fairly faint, and the salt still has a bitter edge—but all told, it's quite nice. I like it, and so does the boy.

Verdict: Because I'm looking for the scent of pure tears, the accessory notes in Pool of Tears aren't quite what I want. This isn't the scent of pure tears—clear, liquid, crystalline—but it is a wonderful match to the original inspiration: the scene of Alice drowning in her own salt tears. The slightly exaggerated notes, the florals and the sweetness, could easily equate to Tenniel's original drawing, which is slightly stylized and of course includes Alice as well as her salt pool. I'm no big fan of the dry down period, but it's not a huge issue to wait half an hour before going into public. All told, this isn't quite what I wanted, and I'll still be in search of a perfect pure tear scent, but I like it well enough to keep it. It's an unusual scent, but hardly unwearable, and I think it would well suit a slightly contrary, slightly odd sort of day.

(Frimp! Yay!)

From my experience with this and Obatala, I have a suspicion that my skin must devour aquatic notes. I got the faintest ghost of a sweet, girly floral, and then nothing.

Smelled great on Eyeska though...

(Frimp! Yay!)

From my experience with this and Obatala, I have a suspicion that my skin must devour aquatic notes. I got the faintest ghost of a sweet, girly floral, and then nothing.

Smelled great on Eyeska though...

This is my cue! :P

On me, this is exactly as described - a light floral and salt water. I was really struck by how pretty it was.

Then I stuck my arm out to my fiance who said that while he felt it smelled okay, he also felt it smelt a lot like bathroom cleansers he's smelt in the past - not chemical-y, just in that family, enough to bring it up.

. . . so now I'm at a bit of a loss. *sad* I'll probably keep it to see how it layers with other scents. (At least he liked Olokun . . .)

light and salty. luminescent, actually... very pretty but virtually no throw. But who cares? It's not something I'd wear everyday, but it's worth having in the stash for those days when I want scent but don't want to be "smelled".

In the imp: Well, hello there day at the beach, complete with sunscreen smell.

On: ugh, the sunscreen comes out more, much to by disapointment. I'll hold on the the imp but I dont know about getting another. I do like the beach reminesence that comes with the scent but I cant see myself wearing it.

In the bottle: Virtually colourless oil. Light, fresh. A little soapy, and a bit herbal and citrusy - bergamot and carnation. Almost astringent.

Wet: Still quite faint. Mostly herbal, over slightly salty soap. The carnation is a bit more distinct and nose tingling - the spicy sort. The bergamot is barely citrusy, but rather sharp medicinal green.

Dry: It's a little saltier and more aquatic now, though far from strongly so. Soapier. The bergamot has faded a lot, and the carnation too though not as much. The rose has emerged, which to me smells like white rose, is a bit powdery and extremely faint.

Later: Honey or milk - not getting the tiniest bit of either at any point, and this has no sweetness on me. The rose and soap have amped, and the bergamot has vanished; carnation and salt hold.

Summary: Very faint, powdery floral soap; mostly rose but a little carnation, and the slight hint of salt. Fades very rapidly. Low throw and poor lasting power.

I'm not sure if I'm more disappointed this didn't work on me or that Alice didn't, either. :P

A frimp from my last order.

Imp: Definitely aquatic notes. bare hints of florals

Wet on Me:beachy, salty sea spray, total aquatic with

barest hint of floral

Drying Down: lovely aquatic with stronger florals that I

want to swim in.

Dry: This is summer at the beach. Crisp, clean, aquatic,

and sweetfloral without being overly sweet. I can get raft and float in

this?

Throw/Stay: Freakin awesome. I would catch vapor trails of

scent as I moved my hands here at my desk and my nose would hungrily

sniff after them for more. Lasting quite the long time too.

Totally on the bottle list!

lavender. salty wet lavender. pool of tears smells like someone shoved a giant pile of lavender in my face and i started crying because i hate lavender so much! so, really, it captures the concept of tears quite well. :P

On and wet this is very salty - almost burns the inside of my nose.

Dry it turned into dryer sheets. :P

I haven't had great luck with aquatics thus far, so far Sturgeon Moon is the only one that's worked, and that's largely because of the cucumber. Still, the saline wet phase is really cool - even if I dont' want my perfume to smell that way.

My friend and I were in awe for how well it captures the scent of tears. So, kudos for that! When it's on my skin, however, it turns into a pleasant aquatic floral. I like it and will definitely keep my imp and show it's uniqueness to people, but won't search for more.

Frimpage!

It begins by smelling like the inside of a salt shaker. It ends by smelling like a faint, albeit expensive and extremely well done, French-milled lavender/indeterminate floral soap. In agreement with a few other reviewers, I could see this as a bath more than as a perfume.

Overall: 2.5/5