Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Smell sanctified! A blend of pure, pious frankincense and graceful myrrh.

Penitence- A good signature for a Male Fragrance.

murky, musty and dry.
Sandlewood and Frankincense with an interesting dirt (burial) smell behind it.

On my skin: Strong sandlewood with a chemically clean scent and an up-turned dirt linger.

I must have a bottle! :P

As far as layering this blend to enhance it:

(may mix well with or be destroyed by, Burial) :D
(mixes beautifully with Cathedral) :D
(mixes Perfectly with Sin or Umbra) :D

EDIT: Added Lab's description --Shollin Edited by Shollin

I love, love, love this! I adore resin scents, and this is a divine fragrance that doesn't change all that much (at least on me) from first application to dry-down. It's a somewhat dry but sweet scent - the thing that it most reminds me of are those fabulous maple sugar candies that they sell in Canada, although not quite as sweet. It's a subtle maple-y smell, candyish but not overtly sweet or cloying at all. The main change from wet to dry-down is that it loses a touch of the sweetness and takes on a bit more of an incensy tone. Definitely another one that I will be buying a larger bottle of.

Yet again I am pleasantly surprised by an imp that was an extra, not one I picked out. Lovely stuff. It is a dryish resin smell...very true to frankincense and myrrh, though I've never been adequately able to describe those two scents very well. You can definitely envision an old, dimly lit cathedral when you smell this, one that has the smell of incense smoke absorbed into its wood. The perfume is not particularly sweet on me, and what little sweetness there is fades once it dries. The scent as a whole also fades more quickly than I'd really like, which is a shame. Overall, I don't think this is the kind of scent I would wear to lure a man or go out on the town with, but I like to smell it while I'm writing. Very inspiring and dreamy.

EDIT: Since writing the above, I've decided I was not gushing enough in my praise of this. I haven't been able to stop re-applying and re-smelling all day. I love it, I wear it when I go out, I wear it when I stay in. I never thought something like this would appeal to me, but it's truly divine (no pun intended). I believe this will be the first BPAL scent to go on my list for a bigger bottle

Edited by Eris

Pretty but not me.

It's a very resin/incense scent, very dry, very pretty, and very catholic church. This is neither over-powering or too sweet, but definitly an incense smell.

This is gorgeous to smell but while I enjoy the smell of an old church, I don't really want to smell like one and all this is making me think of is confessional. Eep!

Into the swap it goes, lovely as it is, very much not me.

I really enjoyed this one. Penitence is quite a lot like Anne Bonny, but sweeter and slightly lighter and without the salty wood note. It’s not an every day scent, but an “out with the girls” sort of scent. It’s really ideal for me, because it’s Anne Bonny without the notes I don’t really care for (namely the salty wood – appropriate for a pirate, but not me). It lasts a long time - when I first tried it, I had to wash it off a good 24 hours later so I could try something new.

I always thought I was a floral type person. Not at all! And here's another resiny scent that is just wonderful!!! The Myrrh is beautiful, and I haven't worn much frankincense, but it blends so beautifully. Works very well on my skin, and I'm buying a bigger bottle!

Penitence is one of the many deep, golden scents that the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab creates so masterfully.

It's lighter than Old Morocco, and less sweet than Snake Oil. A lighter version of what falls somewhere in between the two.

A very rich blend, very pure. I will definitely wear this often.

Pre-BPAL, frankincense and myhrr were my favorite signature scents. I usually wore them separately, sometimes blended them.

so I knew I'd love this, and ordered a small bottle without testing it.

Why oh why didn't it work on me? :P

so sad....instead of smelling like myhrr I love--a lovely resiny tree smell--or like frankincense--golden sweetness--this smelled dark, heavy with an overpowering dirt smell.

What cruel trick has my body chemistry played on me? Obviously others aren't gettting that smell.

then I decided it might be ok mixed with something to sweeten it up--say, "O"--but no, that didn't work either.

and yet I love many other BPAL scents with these notes in them.....

oh well, maybe someone will want to swap for a 5 ml of this......

Edited by cuervosueno

I don't normally prefer men's scents, but this one reminds me a little of the fragrant wood pillars in the Chinese Astor Court garden at the Metropolitan museum.

Really lovely, unusual spicy wood scent. (I wish *my* walls smelled this good!)

Would be absolutely yummy on a guy.

Got a 5mL bottle of this from the lovely cuervosueno and I love it! :P

First Sniff:

Very incensey, very dry...it reminds me of the inside of a crumbling cathedral. I've never smelled either frankincense or myrrh on their own, but the combination is beautiful. I love very dry, earthy incense-type scents, this looks very promising!

Wet on Skin:

The same as in the bottle, but stronger and slightly more earthy. It's an oddly comforting scent for me...maybe it reminds me of absolution, even though I'm not Catholic. There's something very peaceful about it. :D

Dry Down:

Nothing's changed, although the myrrh and frankincense seem to be merging together more, rather than standing out on their own. It's not quite as strong as it was before, but that's okay. I think this scent might be a little too overpowering if it was stronger. This would be a great scent for a man or a woman. I love it!

The Bottom Line:

Beautiful, dry and musty and incensey...like being in a cathedral hours after mass when it's abandoned and empty. It's sad and peaceful and calming all at once. Definitely a keeper.

Edited by Penance

Lightly spicy, with a faint hint of wood. It's also a bit sweet, though not overpoweringly so and not sweet in the same way that fruity or vanilla-based scents are. I quite like this one; it's great for people who like resinous or incensey smells.

When Penitence was wet on me, I had the same experience as cuervosueno: I smelled like dirt. Fortunately, as it dried, Penitence lost the "dirt" smell and took on more of an incense aroma. I think that I detect a hint of sandalwood or some other woody note in the background. I am not sure that this is some that I would wear often, but it is definitely unusual.

The description of Penitence was so perfect. Frankincense+myrrh sounds like the perfect holy scent. On me, though, this went on as baby powder with generic drugstore perfume. I love other frankincense/myrrh scents (like Nephilim or Hecate) but this one wasn't so fabulous on me.

This was one of the first non-foody scents I tried. I got it in a swap and fell in love immediately. The frankincense and myrrh combo is heavenly. It becomes so rich and incensy on, I almost smell ginger? :P

It is becoming my favorite to wear at bedtime, it is so soothing, it sends me right to sleep.

I put Penitence on my left wrist, and Cathedral on my right wrist, to compare them, as they smell identical in the bottle to me. Or wait, was it.....Cathedral on my left? No, I think I got it right. :P

Frankincense and myrrh together are one of the most perfect scent combinations I could wish for -- the Wise Men knew what they were doing! After the drydown the difference between Penitence and Cathedral though seems to be that Penitence is a little darker and stronger. It was still very strong on my skin when Cathedral had faded like wisps of incense in a...uh, cathedral. :D

I love both of them and I don't think I could choose if I had to, but I already have a 5 ml of Cathedral, so I probably will be happy with an imp of Penitence for now. When it comes time to re-order more resiny goodness though I think I will opt for a bottle of this, as it is a much stronger and darker blend of those two wonderful components. The bottom line: If you love incense smells, resins, and you went to church just to watch the smoke pouring out of the censers, this is for you! Floral, fruit and foody smell lovers might not be into it, but incense people, this scent should be your best friend!

ETA: Now that I have a full bottle of this, it is definitely a favorite, and I think I like it even more than Cathedral. It's much simpler and stronger, and while I have to slather Cathedral throughout the day to keep it going strong, this only needs one application. It's very close to Anne Bonny as well but not quite as sweet, and without that patchouli note. Definitely promoting this one into my Top 15 scents now that I have a whole bottle and can really experience it!

Edited by sarada

In the bottle: This one also scares me. I saved all the ones that scared me for last. It's kinda spicey and kinda syrupy and like nothing I would ever, ever wear. My dad's girlfriend has some franincense in the house that she oves. I avoid it. I don't like it. It just smells...resiny, maybe, to me. Like old prayer books and barns and...I don't know. It's almost too rich for me, too spicey.

Wet: It's just...I don't even know. I'm so turned off by this scent that I can't even really describe it. It's not that it smells bad. It's just that it's so not me. This is clean wood and carpentry in the middle of the desert. This is pious and people kneeling and confessing and...wood. This is churches and cathedrals and yet it's also natural things and veiled, mysterious incense in the air. This is a gift to Jesus, and I kinda wish that he'd keep it. It kinda reminds me of my cedar chest, which I like the smell of, but with something else under it. Something more...incensey.

Dry down: Incense and resin and wood still. Also, headache. Incense and I do not get along for a reason.

Dry: Slight headache. Still a nice resin, wood kind of smell with incense underneath. I cannot wear this, but I think that either the boy or my dad's girlfriend would adore this.

What a superb incense fragrance - one of the best I have smelled. I adore Anne Bonny too, which to me is the Holy Grail of incense oils but I have to tell you, Penitence is INCREDIBLE! It is a slightly bitter, dark incense, with notes of Frankincense and Myrrh. It is not as dark and smokey as Anne Bonny, but it has a green, herbal note that makes it fresh and beautiful. To me, this smells as though I am walking through a pine forest, and somebody is burning church incense in the forest. Beautiful. You have to try this one!

Dear BPAL, please don't ever discontinue this scent. I think my heart would break! :P

It was faint at first, so I had to reapply. It mainly smelled pretty and "nice", until I believe, the myrrh came out. It reminds me of the metallic element in blood. It's very interesting.

If you love sweet, pure, resiny scents you'll adore Penitence.

The frankincense and myrrh are perfectly blended and balanced in this perfume; both notes are clear and discernable from the second of application all the way thru the drydown.

Overall, this blend is very dry, deep and mysterious...complex in it's simplicity.

If you like woody, sweet perfumes without a hint of flowers, Penitence will make you swoon.

I'm so glad I ordered this imp. I might order a bottle next Fall for the colder months.

Sometimes it's almost scary when the Lab sends imps gratis and they work better than the ones I've researched and chosen for myself. Penitence is one of them. It's glorious and strong and grounded. Grounded yet very "higher plane" feeling. Completely gone from my skin after two hours, but what a fine two hours it was.

ahhh what a perfect blend, resinous, frankencense, myrrh, gorgeous. this is incredible in it's simplicity

I am afraid I am biased against poor unsuspecting Penitence[*b]. It isn't her fault really. I never really got along with either myrrh or frankinsense. She never really had a chance, but I try to experience everything the lab has to offer even if is something that does not strike me. Having said that, I found this blend very incensy. The myrrh is fairly bitter, and the combination with frankinsence makes me think of Easter vigils with my dad. Interesting, evocative, but not something that I want to smell like on a regular basis.

Vial: Frankincense & myrrh.

Wet: Smells like dirt.

Dry: Smells like wood. Cedarwood. Doesn't smell like incense much, which I thought it might be like, but no.

Off to swaps.

well, i wanted to like it. it has such a cool name!

but... no.

no penitence for me. i think it's the incense-y smell to it that got me; incense makes me sick every time.

*le sigh*

oh well! guess i'll just have to keep on sinning and forego repenting! :P

First sniff from the bottle- Mmmm, sweet and resinous Frankincense and Myrrh. Not too sweet, not green...just right!

After 10 minutes- Almost everyone knows what these two smell like. I don't think I need to describe them.

After 30 minutes- DH actually likes this one. How could he not? The smell is still going strong. I think I want a big bottle.

Summery- I want a big bottle for sure.