Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Voodoo Queen

I'm an so happy someone sent me a testable amount of this. :) Now I can stop coveting something I'll never have.

It's pretty, though a bit on the perfumey side on me, mixed with incense. It reminds me of a classier woman standing in a head shop, having no idea why she's there. LOL

But honestly, it's not as unique as I expected. I like my Snake Charmer better. :)

First of all, Thank you soooo very much Tartchef for sharing a few precious drops of this with me. You are fantastic! :wub:

Now then, I must say that this is beautiful! Slightly smokey, but sweet at the same time. The sweetness might be something either fruity or floral, I can't tell which. Maybe a fruit blossom? I can't distinguish it because it rings together in a perfect smooth rhythm with the smokiness of the incense of the background. I agree with the comparison between Gypsy Queen and Voodoo Queen but minus the rose note. As it dries down, it doesn't change much, except that it goes just a touch powdery.. but not too much that it turns ugly. It maintains it's overall beauty. I also notice a slightly spicy note.. maybe carnation is involved?

How painful this is. It's so rare, but I need some of this. It's gorgeous!

Thank you so much Ifinena for sending me a testable sniffie of this! It's a smoky clove, possibly with some brimstone in there like Hell-Gate of Ireland (maybe it's incense, because it seems to be a softer smoky note) and earthy notes like Zenobia. Possibly some plum and booze in there. The thing with clove and my skin is, fragrances with a dominant clove note tend to come out very similar on me because I amp clove like crazy (not that I have a problem with that!), and when I tried Zenobia on one hand and Voodoo Queen on the other, my chemistry turned them almost identical with Zenobia coming out a little sweeter. I'm glad that I got a chance to test this and can rest easy that I do have a blend which is extremely close on my skin at least.

Edited by Invidiana

Sexy, clove incense floral that dries down to subtle, incense floral. Beautiful.

Dark and spicy! I'm getting soft, slightly sweet smoky cloves, a little musk and patchouli. It's a dark and mysterious blend.

Not for me, but I'm glad I got to try it!

Origin:

Tester from a generous seller. :wub2:

Preconceived notions:

I've wanted to try Voodoo Queen for a long time. Since it was released, really, although I've never been sure how well it would work on me. I've seen references to it being slightly floral and generic smelling, as well as references to it being spicy and incensey with dark fruit. The spicy, fruity incense sounds wonderful, but I don't generally do florals except in rare cases. I never expected to get a chance to try this, so it was a very pleasant surprise to find a tester in my package. :D

First sniff:

Spicy, incensey and fruity. I'm mainly getting spice and soft, but dark fruit with a backing of slightly powdery incense. It has some similarities to both Arachne of Lydia and Magic, Do as You Will, although it's definitely not a dupe of either. It's lovely, although it doesn't wow me as much as Storyville does.

Wet on skin:

The spiciness amps, which is unusual for me. I get cinnamon, maybe some clove, incense and black plum or some other sort of dark purple fruit. It's not really identifiable to my nose other than as a soft, deep purple fruitiness.

Dry down:

I really, really like this. It's not too spicy, not so incensey that it smells like a headshop (not that that would be a bad thing for me) and not blatantly fruity. Everything just whirls together into something that's strangely comforting. I was envisioning a sort of mysterious sexiness, but that's not what I get from Voodoo Queen at all.

The bottom line:

Voodoo Queen is really lovely. It's somewhat similar to other scents I own or have owned (Arachne of Lydia and Magic, Do as You Will are still topping the list), but that's never stopped me before when it came to adding new scents to my collection. It's definitely my second favorite of the Convergence XII scents (after Storyville and before Doc Buzzard and Pumpkin King).

I've waited so very long to try this, so excited!!

Wet, warm amber incense, sweet, but with something sharp, like vetiver. Dry, the vetiver or whatever it reminds me of disappears, and it's still warm amber incense, though I'm getting spice now too with a bit of dark fruit like Penance noted. This reminds me of a 'Snake Oil incense', if that makes sense, a more incensey snake oil, but I'm sure there is amber here making this a warm blend. I REALLY like this, but probably not enough to shell out the big bucks for it (right now anyways!) For now, I'll keep and enjoy the imp and use it for very special occasions.

This is .... weird.

The wet stage is glorious, a swirling blend of opium and incense and some kind of musk. And then, as it dries, something else comes out to play. And that something else is evil. It mixes with the glorious scents and makes a really acrid smell. Pickles is about right.

Sad.

I have FINALLY gotten my paws on a partial bottle of this and I want MORE! I'd never seen the bottle before and I have to say I was delighted to see Maman Brigitte's veve on it, a lovely touch, someone earlier mentioned Erzulie but it's actually Maman's.

In the bottle: Spice and a little bit of sharpness- I think this is what some people pick up on as pickle. A get a splash of vetiver here too.

Wet: Spicy and sharp vetiver that quickly morphs into powdery spices. The powder fades quickly leaving a bit more of vetiver behind. Mild throw but just lovely.

Dry: All spice and vanilla on me, still a decent throw, just very lovely! A bit of a scent like F&F botanica here, for you folks who have been to the city, and a bit of Sallie Ann's old shop. Very very evocative of NOLA and many of the familiar smells there. I've always found BPAL's NOLA based oils to be particularly accurate scent-wise.

It has a good wear on it, it lingered with me softly for most of the day, a soft vanilla spice with a bit of floral to it later. I just love it, it's beautiful and nostalgic. I feel so blessed to have a partial bottle!

Oh so lovely. I see what all the fuss is about. Wet it is incense in the kitchen cupboard. It doesn't morph much for me but stays a sweet, spicy, incense blend.

I'm a devotee of Marie Laveau and sort of collect all things New Orleans voodoo... and being a big fan of BPAL, I had to get my hands on Voodoo Queen. Knowing it was rare, I was afraid to get an imp of it in the chance that I would love it and not be able to buy more! And that is exactly what happened. :(

It's strong, spicy, slightly sweet. Feminine and fierce. Vetiver, maybe amber, maybe clove and vanilla? I absolutely love it. Intensely evocative and dark. If anyone can identify the scents in this and the closest matched BPAL perfumes, I would be eternally grateful! What a magnificent scent. My new favorite. 

welp.  i was hoping i wouldn't love this.  but of course i do.  

the bad news:  it's wonderful, and i have only a small amount. 

the good news:  it reminds me a lot of gooped familiar, so maybe i won't waste away from longing.  perhaps. 

when first applied is when it bears the strongest resemblance to gooped familiar.  i get a dry hay-type note, (black?) musk, spices, a touch of dried green herbs. 

as it dries down, it diverges from gf as a warm resinous presence emerges.  like a resiny amber maybe?  the hay and herbs shift to the back, and the spice deepens. i think i catch traces of a dark floral, maybe opium?  it's very faint, and as a floral-averse-type person in general i don't mind it one bit. 

i think i might be able to get pretty close by layering gooped familiar with sin!  she's a beauty, though.  i'm so grateful to the bpal-er who released this into the world without requiring me to hawk a kidney for the opportunity to try it.  💙