Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zillah37

Nahemoth

Nahemoth

The Evil Woman.

Avarice, inertia, materialism, animal consciousness, despair and cruelty.

Governed by Na’amah, Daughter of Lamech, and thereby a Daughter of Cain. Na’amah is the Angel of Prostitution, and also one of Samael’s succubus concubines, and her name is Beauty and Pleasure.

Nahemoth נהמוט'

In the bottle: Sweet and fruity, kind of like the GC scent Lilith.

Visual: Another reddish amber coloured oil.

On the skin: It's musty and a little powdery underneath - probably some amber. Like the other dark coloured ones, it's spicy and woody, but not as heavy as Gamaliel or Sathriel. Definitely has amber in it. I like this one the best.

This is the one of the Qliphoth that I was most drawn to, perhaps because of the association with Lilith. And wearing something associated with the Angel of Prostitution, well, that's a conversation-starter, isn't it?

She has a very appealing fragrance, at first in the bottle it makes me think of "classy perfume" (those are just the first words that come to mind), with a sort of fruity muskiness. It is like a lighter, perfumey version of the perfume Lilith at first.

On my skin, it becomes a bit like a light Smut without what I refer to as the "cheesy" note, i.e. not as musky or sweet. It's medium in strength and tone, and it's being drowned out on my wrist by the Blood Kiss I put behind my ears this morning.

Like the Sephiroth, the Qliphoth all together have a general sort of "occult store oil" feel for me, meaning that they definitely make me think more of fragrances used in rituals or for a purpose, rather than purely as perfume. However this one works wonderfully on my skin. It's a bit like a lighter Smut with a bit of a floral-fruitiness and just a pale musk instead of a deep one, as it warms on my skin.

It strengthens as it warms and I feel like it's beginning to wreath me with an enticing cloud of musky fruits and flowers. I don't feel particularly evil, but...well, I'm feeling kind of confident and powerful so hopefully I'm bringing out her more positive aspects somehow. :P

ETA: When it dries down the sense of a strong, musky floral perfume is even greater and the fruitiness is all but gone. It no longer bears any ressemblance to the other oils that I mentioned in the review, after it dries down.

Edited by sarada

On me, this is a dark plummy incense. It's musky and reminds me of Hellion combined with Snake Charmer. It definitely has Snake Charmer's sweet, fruity musk quality.

This is a sexy one, and I'd get a bottle if I didn't already have 10mL each of Hellion and Snake Charmer. I just don't feel like I need any more plum scents.

This does have a Snake Charmer feel to it, with more sandalwood I think. I like it more than Hellion which, yes, it also reminds me of. I do agree there's got to be some black plum in there for the sweetness. Also a bit more incensy than either of those other two blends. I like it a lot, that's for sure. It isn't quite as deep and delicious as SN but, on the other hand, this blend is brand new and unaged- it may get perfectly gorgeous after a little while. There's some other blend this also has some similarity to- maybe a less honeyed Sed Non Satiata feel? Not sure.

As it dries it takes on more of it's own unique character- less "sort of this, sort of that". It is definitely lighter than some of the oils it initially resembled to me. It's still a darker blend, but with a less heavy feel. Sort of like a spring or summer version of some of the uber-heavy and hardcore BPAL blends. I like it more and more as it dries down; however I'm thinking it's not gonna be very long lasting.

I'm going with 4.5 out of 5 for now- I've liked several of the Qliphoths quite a bit, and most of them not at all. It's definitely a love-or-hate series.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Rich and red in the vial. How does it smell from the imp? Sandalwood, for certain, as a base, under a sweet musky aroma, on skin it's kind of peppery-spicy, perhaps a brush of ginger giving it a little ferocity. This reminds me of some note that's also present in Sacred Whore of Babylon, a hypnotic blend of flowers. Maybe some black pepper? This is definitely a woman that brings to mind a villainess - peppery spice layered with a slinky floral. I like this. I don't know if I can wear it, but... hey, it's great.

This just gets more scrumptious on me as it sits. It's really very yummy. I am reminded of scents like Urd, which combine a certain fruitiness and incense. I love that combination. My first thoughts on this were that I just spent some time in Chinatown yesterday and this reminds me of the smell of one of the general stores where food and incense seem to overlap.

I do get plum from here, and I initially got something like fennel, but that has passed quickly. There may be a touch of jasmine lurking in this scent as well.

I dig it, I do. I keep pressing my nose to my wrist. My skin seems to be sucking this away really quickly, so I am reapplying it. I sure like this musky note it has...

:P

Oh, yes...it also reminds me of cakes from the Chinese bakery that always burns incense next to a big, smiling Buddha.

Edited by aidenraine

Strong patchouli at first. Quite heavy on me. A slight powdery note comes out as it dries. There were some fruity notes, perhaps a citrus, but only briefly. This has just faded into a sorta incensy powder on me. As this dries further, it is getting deeper and a bit more earthy. The patchouli is back.

In Bottle: Resin and patchouli

On Skin: There is an obvious warm deep resinous base… amber I’m thinking. I smell a slight tinge of patchouli giving it an incense note. It’s actually quite nice. The amber sweetens the patchouli so it doesn’t get that “dirt” note. I also smell something woody, sandalwood I’m thinking by the sweetness. I smell a floral too, something quite strong, lily or jasmine I’m thinking. It’s a pretty scent but doesn’t really stand out to me or capture me to the point I’d want a bottle. It also soaks into my skin quickly giving it low throw and low wearing length.

This is probably my favorite of all the Qliphoth blends. At first sniff and while wet, I definitely was reminded of Hellion - there's a lot of fruity plum in there. As it dries down a bit, Nahemoth seems more resinous and a bit sweeter than Hellion to me, although I do detect some patchouli that they seem to have in common. This blend is very complex and multi-dimensional... every time I sniff the crook of my arm, it seems to have morphed just the tiniest bit, so that it's a wee bit fruitier, or muskier, or earthier than it was at last sniff. It's a fabulous scent and a wonderful interpretation of its concept too.

Nahemoth

In the imp: ooh, deep, musky fruity amber with a hint of booze. I think its plum and indeed, there’s something Snake Charmer-ish about this.

Wet on skin: yup, this is like Snake Charmer’s plum, but darker and a bit more resinous.

Dry: mmm! This is wonderful! A gorgeous amber-plum scent underscored by dark smoky resinous incense (frankincense and myrrh?), spices and musk. This is similar to Snake Charmer and Hellion, but it’s also quite different from these-for starters, this doesn’t seem to have the vanilla-tonka sweetness of SC, and isn’t as dry as Hellion. It’s also a lot gentler and I love the resin-incense note swirling around the plum in this scent (I’m sure there’s frankincense in here), along with gorgeous glowing amber.

After a while: oh goodness me, this really is like Snake Charmer without the vanilla! It’s that same delicious plum note, but with more amber in the place of vanilla, and the piercing, spicy resin scent of frankincense and hints of smoky myrrh and musk-possibly some labdanum too. It doesn’t have as much throw as SC-this one is a little bit gentler and not as showy and doesn’t waft as much, it clings closer to the wrist, but even so, this is very sexy indeed! There’s almost a little hint of Noir to this-maybe there’s opponax in here too, along with the plum? I definitely get patchouli now.

Verdict: as soon as I saw the reviews comparing this to Snake Charmer, I knew I was going to love this-and I do! This evil woman does smell wickedly good, that’s for sure! This is a subtler Snake Charmer, sweet plum wrapped in amber and incense. I smell frankincense, myrrh and labdanum resins and smoke, maybe a hint of spice and musk, deep patchouli and soft golden amber. This is a fabulous scent, exotic and mysterious, darkly seductive, sexy and slinky, it’s a seductive, bewitching fragrance with a hint of sinister darkness to it, and I love it. I don’t know if I need a bottle yet because of it’s similarity to Snake Charmer (which I have two bottles of, with a third on order!) but it’s one of the Qliphoth I am considering getting in big bottle form when I feel like it.

Emoticon rating: :P

Of all the Qlipoth blends, this was the one I really wanted to love.

Imp: Roses and fruit.

Wet: Faint. Still rosey, with a lot of other notes I can't identify. (My boyfriend says I smell like a New Age store.) This is gorgeous.

Drydown: Something weird and sweet is coming to the surface. Maybe there's carnation in this. Carnation always turns weird on me as it dries. It was so pretty until this point...

A few hours later: The weird note has faded a bit, but it's still there. There's also a very sexy musky note. I really like it, except for the one off note.

Nahemoth is interesting, though not the sort of fragrance that I'd ever really wear. I don't like musky-fruity blends, and this definitely falls into that category.

At first on my skin, this one smells like amber and dark plum, which was a pleasantly sweet combination. Then it gets very musky and perfumey (the sort of musky that gives me a headache) and the fruity begins to smell like orange hard candies on me.

The drydown of citrus and musk is really not a good combo for me; it has a sharpness that I'm not liking.

Nahemoth

In the imp: Resinous, woody, and overripe fruit. The overripe fruit kinda turns my stomach. :P

On me/wet: Well, I'll forge ahead and try it... Hmmm, not bad. The overripe fruit morphs into naked lady musk for a moment, then wanders into a spicy, resinous orgy. It's definitely a sexy, "look at me" kind of scent.

Drydown: Plum! Powedery, almost cinnamony plum. This one is pretty hot, although it keeps getting overtones of erm...smelly crotch...on me. Hopefully, that isn't evident to anyone but me.

OK, after the whiffs of unwashed body went away, the rest was pretty good smelling. I'll need to try this another time or two to see if the plum outweighs the slightly nasty note my skin seemed to respond to.

Nahemoth is the closest thing I've found in the general catalog to my beloved Snake Charmer. :D

It's got the same dark, musky, fruity, sexy tones, and is an absolute stunner. Nahemoth smells a little juicier to me, and has a note that reminds me a bit of a cordial. But for those people who liked Snake Charmer but weren't so hot on the coconut, you might want to give this a try, as I don't smell any coconut here.

I :P this. It's perfectly composed for for its namesake. Beauty and Pleasure, indeed.

I'm so often wrong about civet, but I could have sworn I caught a whiff of it upon first sniff. Maybe there's just a drop in here as a fixative or something. Regardless, this baby is sweet, musky and animalistic, just as she should be. Like a down and dirty Hellion at first, which dries down to a sandalwood version of Smut. Really sexy, and not one you'd break out for Sunday brunch. Damn, but Beth has made wicked smell yummy :P

Edited by Inanna9

At first, I'm also getting something musty from it, with some patchouli and possibly cinnamon underneath.

After only about an hour, Nahemoth has almost completely taken her leave, the only thing that lingers is the cinnamon-like note, which I am not really fond of.

Too bad, ol' Naamah sounded interesting... but she doesn't agree with me.

I was super excited to try this with the reviews comparing this to my beloved Snake Charmer. After trying it, on me, it does remind me of Snake Charmer but there are some important differences. So, on to the review.

In the imp, this smelled musky and fruity. It’s a lovely dark amber color in the vial.

On the skin, wet, this is musky, fruity, with maybe a touch of lotus. When I first applied it lightly, it didn’t remind me of Snake Charmer so much as when I applied it a bit heavier. This is amber with loads of musk. Where I applied this lightly, after it had been on a couple minutes, it was all musk and reminded me quite a bit of Smut or other musk-dominated scents. Where I applied it heavier, after it’s been on a bit, the resemblance to Snake Charmer really comes through even stronger.

I saw in yeahbutnobut’s review that this reminds her of Snake Charmer without the vanilla. I have to agree. It has a fruity top, slightly spicy, musky ambery middle and a strongly musky base. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Patchouli.

Pre-review thoughts: As soon as I read the words "Hellion" and "Snake Charmer," I knew I had to join a decant circle somewhere and snag a decant of this.

In the imp: Overripe fruit, musk and patchouli.

On skin, wet: Ugh. Dirty patchouli, fruit on the verge of rotting and sickly sweet musk. Oddly enough, I can see the resemblances to Hellion and Snake Charmer, but not in a good way.

On skin, dry: Patchouli and I, we have a love/hate relationship. Right now, we're hating each other. There also lingers sandalwood, which I rarely get along with. Something fruity (perhaps plum indeed) and musky as well, which might be lovely, but for aforementioned sandalwood and patchouli. This is much too sharp and dirty for me to even think about liking.

Conclusion/Notes: Hellion and/or Snake Charmer? Yes, sort of, but I get very different patchouli and sandalwood varients from Hellion, and Snake Charmer is fruity and musky in a much cleaner, softer way.

at first: dark, sweet fruits and opium.

on: definitely still fruity, but with a citrus edge to it. this is still dark, but with some incense.

2.5 hours later: soft and dark, with a bit of sweetness.

5 hours later: a bit sharp and soapy, but with some sweetness.

overall: this is nice at first, but it doesn't really work on me.

This one is slightly fruity, sweet, and musky- the perfect combo for me (generally)!

It mellowed from the sharp scent it was in the vial, and turned into a nice, soft scent. I sat on the couch and kept smelling this yummy, sweet smell- guess what it was??

I like it and am on the hunt for a full bottle!

wet: patchouli, and a berry note? something sweet, at any rate.

dry: the berry note reminds me of red phoenix. it is a bit sour on me, and overwhelming any other notes that might be lurking. There might be a bit of a dry wood/incensey note behind it, but i'm too distracted by berry/plum/whatever fruit this might be.

Nahemoth - When I first smelled this in the bottle, it smelled very "foody" to me, and I could tell immediately that of all the Qliphoths, it was probably going to be the most popular -- and it seems that it actually is. Once I put it on my skin, it is not "foody" at all in the gourmand sense, although it is very spicy to my nose at first. As it dries, it has a warm, golden feel about it, like a deep, resinous amber smothered in all sorts of woody-incense notes. It reminds me a lot of Hellion, which I love, yet there's something about this blend that’s sweeter than Hellion, and I think it’s that sweet note I don't care for too much -- it reminds me of the overly-ripe fruit note in Haitian Lover. In the end, it’s a perfectly good and nice scent, but it’s so similar to Hellion that whenever I’m in the mood for this particular kind of scent, I think I would just choose Hellion instead (because it lacks that rotting fruit note). However, it will be a tolerable replacement when I run out of Hellion. The throw is strong and the wear length is long.

Nahemoth

In the vial: Musky fruit

On me: Definitely plum, which is dry and powdery on me. Far in the background, sandalwood. Much nicer than plum usually smells on me.

Nahemoth: (short for Nahemothra? a wicked little female, indeed!!)

This is the ninth Qliphoth I've tried and definitely my favorite. Along with the sandalwood patchouli plummy(?) described above - generally sweet spicy - I get an undertone of almond and olive oil. This is one I'd definitely consider putting into wearing rotation.

A definite Yum.