Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The final burst of the soul’s light and joy before passing into the depths of the earth, and into the cords of Sheol; Sheol, who is never satisfied, and who makes wide her soul to all. Vibrant gladiola, graceful stargazer lily, triumphant iris and bright heliotrope flare, and is finally made somber by heavy copal, a drop of labdanum, and tonka.

Sheol - This scent is full of strong and sweet heliotrope, which is a scent I don’t like when it dominates other notes. I prefer it as a background note. The scent is also slightly musty, and I can’t tell what note is giving it the dank, musty touch. Iris always smells bitter on me, and this blend is no exception. Overall, this is a strange scent on me that is a jumble of heady florals yet it has a low level of throw and the staying power is about average on me. I’d say that people who like heavy florals would possibly love this one, but it’s definitely not for me.

I know very few of the notes listed (let's be honest and say that for now, I do not know ANY); however, Sheol is a high clear floral, with something medicinal under it, probably the labdanum, and something I would guess is tonka if I had to guess.

Very interesting smell (I've said that too many times in the reviews I wrote today, but I've got a lot of stuff to review). Like Haunted but with an entirely different twist: if those were music pieces, and my synesthesia is running wild, Sheol would be an alto countermelody to Haunted's high part.

Now anyone here understand what I just said?

ETA: I fear, on the second try, I have to repudiate my compliments to Sheol. A heavy scent that I strongly suspect is copal (as tonka is in Red Phoenix and we get along there) bloomed and started dominating everything. I have a hard time getting it off, and I do not much like it.

I will keep on giving Sheol a chance, but I fear she will not be a daily one.

Edited by indicolite

In the bottle: Sweet, fruity, lovely in the imp. Will it work on me though?

Wet: sweet fruity jasmine. We could have a problem Houston. Florals and I don't like each other.

Dry down: I did worry about the Jasmine, as like her friend rose, they like to beat me up and mug me. But this has a darker base of notes that makes this grounded.

this is really nice.

30 minutes: dark and yummy, with a floral floating on the top.

Conclusion: I really like this on me, surprised that I would. I am going to wear it a few more times before I decide if a big bottle is in order. Keeping the imp definitely. :P

Rating 1-5, on my skin this is at least a 4.

Sweetly floral with lovely resin. I had been expecting something totally floral since there are so many listed and had no hope that the copal would shine through. That is just not the case. The copal really shines in Sheol and makes this a refined floral scent. So happy I have a bottle of this! Every time I think I've found my favorite scent, I get a new package in the mail. :P

This is definitely a lovely adult floral. I find the flower smells are balances amazingly well with the tonka and Laudanum which help to ground the notes for me. It's very light and suprisingly loveable! I didn't think the notes would agree with me but it's so delicate and complex.

The throw definitely isn't much on my skin, but that's just the way I like it!

Jenn

Lots and lots of floral. Smells slightly spicy as well. Then... it dissappears. Which was strange cause the florals were strong and then the scent completely vanished! O.o Okay... I didn't like Sheol much I'm afraid.

A slightly-spicy floral, warm but edged in darkness. Florals generally work for me, although sometimes I just get tired of them; Sheol is different--a warm, complex, seductive scent.

This one's a new and immediate favorite.

This is deep, dark and somber. I *know* it's a floral overall, but on me it has none of the 'lightness' I usually associate with florals. Having said that, I love Sheol! It is sophisticated and mysterious, a fragracne for a woman and not a girl. I wonder, is it the copal that makes it so deep? It's beautiful. This has a lot of lily in it, and it's balanced well by the tonka which adds a richness. Lovely, just lovely.

straight sniff from imp is a bit resinous and spicy...

once applied this is not as heavy as i had expected...still very resinous and a little bit of the florals come through...

after 30 minutes i smell the copal strongly but shortly there after it fades completely...just as the description says, "The final burst of the soul’s light and joy before passing into the depths of the earth"

In the imp: This is heavy smelling. Must be the labdanum or copal? Something thick, that's for sure. It puts me in mind of amber and vanilla, whatever that note is. Possibly tonka.... Not what I expected. Not getting any florals at this point. Which is fine by me.

On the wrist, wet: Patchouli??? That's odd. Something in here is reminding me of patchouli, or Nag Champa. Strange. I definitely get a resinous something. This is a dark, dark smell for me. Very heavy and thick.

On the wrist, dry: I'm having a very hard time identifying any of the notes in this, but it's starting to smell more than a bit like decay on me. I think I need to wash this off.

Final Analysis: There is something in this that does NOT like me. Off to the swaps.

In the imp, I smell a lovely floral bouquet.

On me, the florals are joined by an almost-hazelnutty note (tonka?), which is also quite nice, but something keeps me from fully enjoying it. If I had to put it in words, I'd have to say that the smell feels... empty, as though there was a large gap that needed to be filled.

It does quite fit the concept, but I wished there was a little less topnote and a bit more "body" to it. I might try to layer it with Scherezade (which did have enough "body", but not enough intricacies to keep it interesting for my personal taste).

As of now, I don't think I want more.

I love tonka and copal, and they are there, holding onto those flowers and doin' a helluva job! It makes the flowers not just virginal blossoms, but a sultry, oriental perfume.

Edited by lookingglass

not having read the scent description, i smelled pear, vanilla with a touch of coconut, and light florals. i guess the vanilla is from the tonka, and i’m not sure where the fruitiness comes from. to me, this scent does not seem somber or dark; it seems like a light, fresh, summery floral. pretty.

In the bottle: very unusual, can't pick out anything specific other than dirt.

Wet on skin: Cola and dirt. Yes, cola. Not so much coca-cola, but a more old-fashioned tasting, real-cola-extracts-and-a-dash-of-cherry soda shop cola - poured over a mound of dark, loamy dirt.

Dry on skin: Roses and dirt, with a lingering trace of cola.

This one is bizarre. I don't think I can even rate it, I'm so confused by the smell.

Edited by Vampy

It's unfortunate, but the minute I took a sniff of this scent, I thought, "Chinese medicinal herbs." And that's the way it stayed. It's bitter and a bit sharp, but oddly warm -- like dry, rustling leaves and roots set against each other. Of course, I don't have the best associations with Chinese medicinal herbs at the best of times and I've had to drink things that smelled similar to this, so it's a definite 'no' for me.

I'm not getting any florals from this, just lots of dark, cold resins. It's actually not unlike Geek on my skin, but less evergreeny. It's that same cold resinous feel. The tonka tries to warm the blend up, but it's just not enough. As with Geek, this is a scent that's going to work wonderfully on me on a cold misty day, but be just too offputtingly chilly any other time.

It was a bit strong when I first dabbed it on my wrist, but it tamed up right nicely. The dry down is lovely. Overall a very sweet scent. I can see this being a part of my 5ml collection.

Here is another rare floral that works for me....Sheol is mostly floral at first, and I like it. Then a resin sweetness emerges and gets stronger....that would be the labdanum and/or copal. Interesting and pleasing combination. The florals and resins stay pretty balanced for a long time. Much later, something really powdery and violet-like came from this....although it might have possibly been another oil I tested earlier. I couldn't remember if I tested something else or not. But it might just be one of the florals finally dominating the rest of the notes.

Anyway, this isn't bad but I think I know someone who might possibly like it more than I did, and probably get more wear out of it.

Sheol is really a surprise. I had held off on this one originally because the notes didn't seem like a combo that would work on me, but this is just proof that I should try everything at least once. Because Sheol smells like a combo of The Lion and The Living Flame on my skin, and I am in love. :P

This is a tough scent to try and encapsulate in a review, but to start, it's got lovely soft resins, warm and slightly spiced. Over that I smell the florals---no one note sticking out, and nothing that screams 'flower!'. It absolutely falls between any categories I could mentally call up. It ends up as a floral-resin-spice blend, defying any attempt I could make to classify it further.

I really like this and will for sure use up the imp, and put it on the list for bottle consideration.

Wow. Not one I'd have ever picked up on my own; again we see the wisdom of the Lab's frimp policy. :P This is going in my next order.

In the vial, there's a hint of sweetness, probably the labdanum, some kind of light resin which I can't place, gentle spice, and a non-cloying floral. That's saying a lot, for me--normally flowers go BOOM on my skin and I hate 'em.

This is really, REALLY nice. Once it's on it doesn't seem to have much throw but I get a waft of it every now and then and it's just so ELEGANT. Austere, almost, but the little bit of sweetness makes it warmer and more comforting. And those flowers still haven't jumped out to stomp all over the rest of the notes. I'm impressed!

Geez. I'm trying to pick out notes and I just can't, it's such a complex and well-mixed blend. But it's beautiful. Very adult. On the days when I don't want to smell like a bake shop or a spice cabinet, I think I want to smell like this.

Lobster Rating

Better than: socks fresh out of the dryer

A bright, somewhat sour scent. It smells floral but there's this strange sour note to it that I have no clue what it is. Perhaps the copal, since it's the only note I haven't smelled before. Anyhow... after drydown it's still this slightly sour, dry note. Not for me.

imp: a little bit our sour acrid spice.

wet: ewwwww...what's in there? Jasmine? *goes to look* it's the lily and something else...copal? Don't know.

dry: If I had to decide right now, I'd say this is a "no" on me. The Lily gets to the "old dying lily" smell stage. :P

I got to try this at jewelbug's. Thanks luv! :D

In the imp: It was a bit incensey, but also smelled a bit like root beer.

On Skin: Definitely root beer. :P I think it's the copal. Greed also had this weird underlying smell (on me it definitely smelled liked old, sweaty money).

Verdict: Not for me. I don't care for root beer floats as a perfume. I might drink them... but that's another story. :D

ETA: On a second try, it was more like grape juice and incense. Again... unflattering on me. Damn skin chemistry. :)

Edited by zankoku_zen

Thanks to Ah Xia for the imp.

Imp: Abundantly flowery, with a high sweet note from the heliotrope.

Skin: The bottom notes eventually temper the sweetness, in that the blend remains obviously floral, but not flowery.

Drydown: I think because of the lily and iris this blend resolves itself into a powdery white floral with my chemistry, and it's just not really me; although people who do love white florals would enjoy it.