Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Monster Bait: Closet

Bourbon blackberry buttercream over red velvet cake.

In Bottle: Pure sweet delicious buttercream with abit of fresh berries on top.

On Skin: Well, that gorgeous buttercream lasted about T minus 10 seconds on my skin. I am devestated. I was soooooooooooo excited for this scent. But it turned to cat pee on me. Why!??!?! Curses!!! I shed a tear… is my bottle different than evreyone elses? No… my other bottle does the same thing. It became a boozy note for a moment, and the berries are still there in the distance, but there is this rancid icky note that just overwhelms it. Is it the bourbon? The bourbon in Spanked didn’t do this to me. The buttercream is completely gone, and no sweet red velvet cake note either. Overall, this turns to cough syrup meets cat pee… nothing I’d like to wear. What a shame… I’m crying another tear.

In the bottle and wet, I recoiled from this one because I thought I smelled maple, and me no likey teh maple. :P I think it was just the initial combo of booze and buttercream that made me think maple. But it calmed down and the blackberry came out more and a little bit of chocolate that I guess is the red velvet cake? Whatever it is, once I took it for a full day test drive in the scent locket, I got to like Closet a LOT more than my first impression. Foody and sweet without being sickeningly cloying. I quite like this one!

This is an absolutly yummy concoction.. I have however had it pimped my my 11 year old son .. who HAD to have it because of all its droolie goodness ..

Bottle: Black berry tarts with buttercream icing..

Wet: The blackberry note is definatly strong on me not getting much else

Dry Down: Still a whole lotta blackberry .. Wheres the butter cream and booze?

30 mins: Blackberry has calmed down and some of that creamy buttery scent .. kind of like shortbread cookies has peeked its head out .

This is a fun scent and will have you smelling your wrist forsure! The nice thing about MB: Closet is .. its like having a decadent dessert with out it going to you butt!! Guilt Free..

Wet - boozy blackberries! I like!! There's quite a bit of throw here and this isn't nearly as sweet as you would expect.

Dry - The bourbon combines with the berries and this becomes darker, richer. I really don't get a sweet buttercream/cake scent out of this until much later. Mostly it's just boozy blackberries. After a few hours, I get a touch of buttercream sweetness, but I wouldn't consider this a foody scent at all. I didn't think it was possibly, but I might love this just a tad more than Underbed. Gah, who knows, they are both gorgeous!

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 5.

This may not be the most expert review, since I have a cold and my nose is getting more stuffed-up with each passing minute, but I'll give it a go:

In the bottle/Wet on skin: Pretty much exactly what the description suggests, although I don't get a lot of bourbon. It's mostly thick sweet buttercream with a juicy berry note.

Drydown: So far it's staying pretty true. If it does anything weird (or if I think differently when my nose is unstuffed!), I'll come back and edit.

So far... this stuff is the BOMB. :P

In the bottle: Buttercream, with more buttercream, and a small sliver of red fruit.

Wet: Berry over buttercream

Drydown: Berry berry and... cake batter. (Here is where I duck and cover... my other arm which is presently sporting a singed Underbed recalls that it is not a happy camper.) Ok, ok, we're cool... we've got red velvet cake with berry flourishes.

Awesome.

Verdict: I'm not so sure this is quite my cup of tea. Going to hold onto the bottle for a little while and see how it ages. Right now, its a bit too berry for regular use.

In the words of my boss, who (despite laughing at my 'obsession' and teasing me for weeks) tore through my BPAL box even faster than I did:

"That smells like cake. Really heavy, sweet cake, with the thickest, richest, ooziest cream frosting ever."

Then I put it on, and the entire office proceeded to discuss whether or not I was now edible, and whether I'd notice if the aforementioned boss stole my bottle.

It stayed pretty cake-with-frosting, and it's strong stuff. I'll remember to go lighter on application next time. After a few hours, the blackberries start to work their way out of the blend; that's when I realized they'd been there the whole time, hiding and making things sweeter. But later they start to emerge as a separate note, going just sour enough to take the overpowering sweetness down a notch, just lending a nice tart edge.

As long as I don't forget and lick my arm (though the Boy did, and the results were not pretty), all is lovely and delicious and fragrant. Mmmmm, cake.

Right away I smell a boozy blackberry. No cocoa from the red velvet that I was expecting, but I do get the 'cat pee' response that some people are getting.

Neither of the Monster Baits worked on me, but I'm hoping that when I try them at another time of the month, I'll love them.

If not, off to the swap pile.

I get mainly booze with a little bit of berry. And I mean strong booze. I put this on before going to bed last night and I can still smell the booze this morning. It reminds me of the booze note I got from Fortunato, but this time with a different fruit. This one is sweeter and more foody.

It's slightly cakey, and the berry becomes stronger over time. Actually I could do with a little more berry, as I'm mostly getting something that smells like rumcake.

But I like it, and it smells comforting to me. A great scent to wear to bed!

p.s. Cat pee? Goodness! I'm glad I don't smell anything like that.

Wow, this is a lot more bourbon blackberry than it is red velvet cake. The top note is very boozy and berrilicious, almost to the point where it goes a little bit cough syrupy on me...almost. There is a rich, gorgeous undertone of smooth, foody buttercream layered over decadent red velvet cake (my favorite cake!). I do wish the cake notes were on top rather than the boozy ones, but still a nice scent. After I've worn it awhile, the bite of the bourbon blackberry fades and leaves a lovely creamy, cakey essence. All in all, not quite what I expected, but fun just the same. Oh, and I still can't say the words "Monster Bait" without giggling :P

When I sniffed this one, I got a big whiff of blackberry along with booze. The buttercream and chocolate in the scent just didn't pop out at me. On initial application, it's very nice, fresh, dark berry with some sweet booze. But then, after about a half-hour, OMFG, I feel like I've been headbutted by a giant, juicy booze-soaked blackberry. It's really overwhelming -- not in a headachey way, but it's just too overpowering to my nose. I'm also just not about sweet, fruity, boozy scents this time of year, so I'm sending my bottle on to some who will :P it!

New at the reviewing but I just got my first order and I went crazy trying them out.

In the bottle: Yum! Am I smelling cake frosting?

Wet: Berries! Frosting! No bourbon yet (at least nothing thats sticking out noticeably), but that's fine Im content with what Im smelling so far.

Dry: Still getting the delicious berry buttercream. But now the boozy smell is there. Didnt think I could love this anymore, but I am.

30 mins later: Exactly the same as the initial dry down. Faded a bit though, but since I barely dabbed it on my arm that could be a factor.

Hour later: I need cake. Now. To hell with my diet :P . It is still there, but will have to wear this out soon to see how long it would last when I slather it on.

Closing thoughts: I had put my wrist up to my sister's nose a minute ago for her give me her thoughts, and she did a double take and grabbed the bottle and headed off into my room. Apparantly she went in there and slathered herself with my precious Monster Bait: Closet. And she *hates* perfume of any type and when I made her smell the other scents I tried she loathed them all. So while I have yet to lure any monsters out my closet, I did entice my perfume hating sister to steal it lock herself in a room with it. I would have to say success! And I have a feeling im going to have to lock this away somewhere, or else shes going to take it all.

In the bottle: Buttery buttered buttercream mingling with juicy red fruits. A little scary, because I don't like that much butter.

On my skin: The berry smell takes over. For a bit they almost smell like the fruits in Montresor before they went unfortunately vile on me, but luckily that impression fades almost immediately. These fruits are more candied and they mix deliciously with the booze element that comes out. This kind of reminds me of Bordello--not that they actually smell similar, but they both have the 'sugar-dusted fruits meets booze' thing going on.

It's much darker than I would have guessed. Even when the cake peeks out, it adds a lush, decadent edge rather than a bakery vibe. Much like Underbed, I was expecting something like Sugar Cookie or Gingerbread Poppet--pure food, in other words--and got a wearable perfume with some lickable elements. The Monster Baits are fantastic, and I can't wait til I get Underpants.

Bottle: Creamy buttercream frosting, no joke, with a liquor undertone.

Wet: Fruity? Strawberries over pancakes.

Dry: It's creamy and dreamy. Very delicious.

Category: Food!

Rating:4/5; Beautiful

Overall: I don't really love food scents, but this one is nice. This was the monster I wasn't expecting to like too much, but I think it's yummier than Underbed. May keep wearing this or make something with it, not sure yet, but it's delicious!

In the bottle: Blueberry cheesecake!

On: More blueberry cheesecake!! but with a little sharpness from the bourbon. Closet is a mix of blueberries and blackberries to my nose: the sweet blueberries that burst in your mouth and the tart blackberries I used to pick and eat till my fingers turned red as a kid. Oh boy, do I feel like some cheesecake right now. :P The bourbon stays sharp for a wee while, but soon fades a little and suddenly I can smell blueberry muffins with cream cheese and maybe a hint of crumbly chocolate cake. Closet is really, really yummy. It’s foody for sure, but not sickly sweet. This is a giggly and fun scent. Me wants some cake!

in the imp: booze, berries, and a hint of something rich and creamy. I'm intrigued!

Wet: like blackberry brandy, to me. Boozy, sweet-tart, and creamy all at the same time.

Dry: Oh wow. Just, wow. The booze hangs around, but not with the same force as when it was wet. Lush blackberry, warm sweet cake, and a lick of rich buttercream. Licking isn't advisable, but boy, is it ever tempting!

After my disappointment with the Underbed Monster, I am glad this one is such a keeper!

I must be crazy.

Wet: I smell the bourbon and cocoa out of the bottle.

Dry: On my skin it settles into mostly the buttercream. Very little cocoa, very little bourbon, no blackberry to speak of, something almost spicy creeps in. Everybody talks up the bourbon but I can't smell it. It smells a lot like my cake decorating books that have been smudged on over the years. But then maybe I'm immune to bourbon drink to much scotch!

I went light, not knowing how much to put on. My hubby can't smell it at the neck, but the wrists have been going on all day long

A wonderful scent still for my first BPAL ever! After years of w@rm v@nilla sug@r from that place at the mall, something that is finally more sophisticated. A keeper, and I'll have to get a second bottle before the LE goes bye-bye. I think I'm destined to be a "foody."

monsterbaitcloset.jpg

In the bottle: sweet, foody

Wet: Oh holy god. It's like a rush of sweet berries, lush red velvet and sweeeeeet. YUM.

Dry: The berries don't last too long, and the red velvet cake is replaced by a generic cake smell. But CAKE. I cannot loose with something that smells like my favorite food group!

I am thinking I need like 35 bottles of this, STAT.

Perfect scent to lure your Closet Monster. It'll definately help tame him enough so you can invite him to a tea party! Might have to teach him some table manners, though :P

A whiff of cocoa does seem to be indicated along with the initial blast of booze and cake. The berries only appear a bit later, after the booze mostly burns off.

Happily, No hint of plastic or coconut.

Foody/boozy scents like this wear as a skin scent on me. So this doesn't have the throw but works wondering for layering.

Successful layering adventures thus far:

Fae (Peach Melba)

Bliss (Black Forest Cake)

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

i wasn't too keen on this monster bait. i just ordered an imp with my decants to keep underbed company. berries and i don't get along (in perfume form, anyway!).

when it arrived, tho...dayum! so glad i got it! LOVE it right out of the imp- berries and frosting goodness! just a hint of cake, but SO yum. drool, drool. clearly getting a bottle.

on: ack! who replaced my berries with BO? again! why, why?? i smell like cake that's been on a LONG back country trip in the summer. :P

in the scent locket: nice. i had shub in the locket right before i put closet in, and closet isn't really standing up to shub all that well...mostly i smell delicious spices with a hint of frosting and berries. but no BO! so that's a mercy...

verdict: none just yet. requires more locket testing, but a bottle is likely! it's just SO pretty and smacktaclulare before my skin chemistry messes with it!

straight sniff from bottle is franken berry/boo berry cereal with a touch of melted butter :D :D

upon application this transforms into a completely different monster :P

very boozy and berry yet somehow spicy....closet is quite the lingerer as well.....

this one is extremely long lasting and after 30 plus minutes is still going strong but

gets more of a resinous, slightly potpourri edge.....

i love this with all my heart ....... thank you beth for something uber unique and fabulous :D

I am trying desperately to smell something other than cat pee masked (poorly) with vanilla-berry-something air freshener and... sweat? Ew. My skin chemistry has mis-translated this scent, for sure. It's just not working. I'll have to try it again just to be sure, but I'm thinking I may have to swap this one out. :P

On me, this smells exactly like blackberry-flavored cough syrup. :P

So very glad I didn't buy a whole bottle.

ETA: Two hours later, the blackberry cough syrup has gone away, and my wrist faintly smells of cake. Definitely not worth the medicine stage.

Edited by harmonyfb

i have to admit i was not as wild about this as i was expecting to be, but i do still like it. the first whiff i got contained the syrupy booziness everyone has been describing...almost rum-like, sweet, not so bourbony to me. and the fruit...the blackberry..i like it, but it's almost too sickly-sweet, or over-ripe or something, at first. it mellows out nicely though, and the longer i wear it, it grows on me, and the notes start working together, in a more cohesive way. now that i'm getting actual frosting, it begns to smell pretty yummy. i'd say, the longer i wear it, the creamier it gets, and the more it improves.

i like all the foodie scents, and although this isn't my top favorite, it's still fun.

First Impression: Blackberries.

Dries down to: Blackberry jam pastries.

Additional Comments: Surprisingly, this one is better than I expected. It's a very true blackberry scent. I don't get much 'cakiness' at all, which is good because sometimes 'sweet' notes turn to very burnt sugar on me. The bourbon gives it a bit of depth and keeps it juicy and I only get a very faint hint of cocoa.

Lasted: A couple of hours.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5