Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dana O'Shee

Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

Marzipan rather than "sweet grains". Very light and almost zero throw, it was gone less than an hour later. Pretty and sweet.

Pretty much what it says on the tin. Sweet milk and honey and what reads as almonds to my nose, as opposed to grains. It's pretty strong on me and very foodie. It really strongly reminds me of Italian torrone candies with almonds. I have to say I'm not crazy about smelling like sweets, so it's not really for me, but I can see why someone would love this.

I really like this blend a lot, and I find it true to its nature and description. It is light, and sort of fades the way the smell of the "outdoors" fades from your skin after coming back into a cozy home and sitting on the couch for a while. In a quiet and dignified way.

I also don't get a lot of morphing from this one, so I always know what to expect from good ol' faithful.

It is a simple, yet comforting blend, both creamy and refreshing in a way, understated and subtle, in the way such an offering to the fae might drift on the wind and be carried off into the ether. I cannot be grateful enough that it has never gone either linen or soap on me. It fits so close to the skin in fact, that after wearing it for the day, it becomes hard to separate my own own skin smell, from this, as the two become one.

The milk (I find it to be more of a skim milk rather than a heavy, sticky cream) and light golden honey are obviously there, but balanced, and in no way sweet/cloying. The 'grains' portion of this (somehow) keeps it from becoming foody, and really brings out a quiet beauty after the drydown. I smell oats, for sure-- and the uncooked steel cut variety at that. Beyond that, I want to say whole sheaf's of golden wheat, and tall, swaying grasses, toasted by the sun work in. Finally, there might be a peekaboo of heather and amaranth in there somewhere. It smells arid, like sunset in early fall. And brings to mind spilling thin milk and clear honey on a field of just-harvested 'grains'.

Dana O'Shee is definitely a sweet, creamy scent. At first the 'grains' part of it smells more like almond than anything, but on drydown it becomes sweet oats. Lots of milk, lots of honey.

My main issue with it is that it smells an awful lot like a generic body wash or lotion I've used before. I can't really separate the smell from that, and it makes me not want to wear it. It also fades quickly, and has barely any throw. Overall, a miss for me.

I got ahold of a cobalt bottle of this (so, aged).

It is a very organic sweet. You know when honey gets a little crystallized at the top of the jar? There's a whiff of that. There's also a bit of marzipan to it. After it resting on my skin a while, I also get a note of condensed milk. I think the "grains" part was lost to the aging. But, I still like this & am going to use it for layering fragrances that could use sweetness.

Finally reviewing my favorite fae scent from the Lab

This imp is about 5 years old-ish?

My immediate impression is fields of golden wheat, a comforting pastoral scene, country life from a time passed on long ago . . .

It truly is a bpal version of the very popular oatmeal, milk and honey fragrance, but the grains elevate it and it is not artificial smelling whatsoever.

These elven faeries are not of the usual frolicking, mischievous race fluttering about wildly through herbs and wildflowers at twilight. They are seemingly sweet and dreamy, belonging to the hazy summer afternoons in the countryside

What an enticingly creamy, dreamy and comforting scent! I only wish it lasted longer on the skin, as it is quite faint.

Wow. This is a gorgeously sweet, creamy almond. There's something fresh and bright about it, though, it doesn't give me a particularly cakey vibe. It's not much of a morpher, but it does seem to fade quite quickly.

It's very, very similar to Lush's Snowcake soap and would be amazing layered on after a bath.

In the imp: Marzipan, marzipan, and more marzipan! Honey-sweet almonds all the way down - if there's any cream or milk to be found here, it's buried way too deep under that landslide of marzipan for me to detect it. Boy, do I wish I liked marzipan, like, at all.

Wet: Does a complete 180 to become a your-skin-but-better scent for a kitchen witch/Demeter-esque earth goddess. The milk (or is it cream?) is soft and comforting, the honey is subtly sweet, and the grains are...just shy of baked goods, is the best way I can think of to put it. Somewhere between sun ripening grain in a field and a kitchen where generations of one family have been baking loaves of bread, but nothing is cooking today. This is astonishingly lovely.

Dry: Pretty linear. The throw remains soft overall, but on me it lasts for a good 8-10 hours. The cream and honey are fairly dominant, but the grains give them an interesting spin. There's a family resemblance to O here, but this is O's younger, quieter sister who loves to bake and garden instead of go out dancing.

Smells like marzipan which I don’t normally go for, but as it dries it morphs into something so lovely and sweet and comforting I am going to have to buy a full bottle. I am kicking myself for not buying the HG when it was on the Post last month!! My daughter loves this one!

Blast of sweet almonds, dries down to an almost identical scent to Alice on me- powdery, sweet milk and honey. It's nice but has much less throw and fades a lot faster then Alice on me, so I'm going to stick with her!

In the imp: As described. The grain-scent is stronger than expected, but still nice.

Wet on skin: Like a cinnamon roll without the cinnamon. Almost like a finger bun, but not quite as sugary-sweet.

Dry on skin: Somewhere between wet & in the imp. It’s blended nicely now & this is quite nice. Pretty subtle too.

After a few hours: VERY faded & subtle, but otherwise the same as newly dry.

Verdict: This is very subtle, but very pretty! A good everyday-type perfume when you want something food-y but subtle.

I got an imp of this 3 years ago and when I tried it back then, I remember thinking it smelled a lot like marzipan. After 3 years, I think it smells more like holiday cookies, angel food cake, and oatmeal body wash. It also smells strikingly like baby oil? I was fully expecting it to go powdery on me but it didn't, which I was very happy about! It's definitely a nice scent, one that I think would shine best in a coffee shop or somewhere else where there are other strong scents to balance out the sheer sweetness of it, but it's not one I would personally wear.

Beautiful, sweet, straightforward almond/marzipan smell. Warm and foody, but not overly sweet. A new favorite~

I've heard this compared to Snow White, a favorite of mine, so knew I had to try it. At first, it's a blast of cherry ish almond, then it fades into a light milk and honey skin scent. There's a whiff of coldness that does remind me of Snow White, which is really interesting since I have no idea what note gives it that quality. Almost like mint?? It doesn't have much throw, but I like how ethereal it is. Anyway, it's super pretty and if I use my imp quickly, a bottle may be in order at some point. 

I purchased a fresh imp of this to try, reluctantly.  I do not get along with honey scents and only bought this because it was highly recommended by many, many people.

In the vial, it smelled very much like almond extract.  I liked that.  I love almond smell!  Immediately upon coming into contact with my skin, it turned into pure baby oil smell.  Argh!!

The drydown smells like a combination of baby oil and wet cardboard and once again affirms that honey scents do terrible, terrible things on my skin.  I was really hoping that this would approach "oatmeal cookie smell" but it never made it there before the honey note ruined everything as usual.

I think it would work well in a scent locket or as a room scent, where my skin can't ruin it.

The imp that I tried this from is about 10 years old (bought somewhere between 2009 and 2011). So keep in mind that I am reviewing the aged version of this scent and not the fresh version.

I smell a lot of almondyness. It is similar to Lush's Snowcake but like a more natural version of it if that makes sense? Scent throw is not as strong as other scents and it doesn't last as long either, but it is still a beautiful scent. Sweet and a little foody but not too much. Comforting, cozy, grounding, strong, sensual and also innocent. The almond in this did not irritate my skin. My imp of this is almost empty and a bottle of this is definitely on my wishlist.

Like all BPAL scents I feel this is great for all genders, nothing is masculine or feminine, it is whatever and however it makes you feel. In the same way all BPAL scents are also innocent and sensual at the same time because it depends on the wearers personality, mood and vibe. And it is suitable for all ages (most BPAL scents are in my opinion, perhaps only the ones with alcoholic notes and tobacco/smoke notes are not).) )

Edited by Freya778
Typo's and added some things

2021 imp

Wet on my skin this is honey-sweetened bitter almond. As it dries it becomes a powdery milky honey smell without much almond. This isn't very long-lasting or strong on me, but it's nice while it lasts!

Edited by dancingchair

I have had my eye on this one for months and finally added to my most recent order. 

In the bottle: ALMONDS. HELLO, ALMONDS. 

On my skin: Hello almonds again. As I wore it, it settled into a whispery almond/honey scent but VERY faint. 

Mind you, I did try it out the evening of the day I got it so maybe it needs to settle....either way I will still wear it! It's a nice bedtime scent because it's not overpowering but as some comments have noted, it also doesn't stick around for long - after about half an hour just a faint hint of the scent remained. I've been on an almond kick lately so I still like it! 

this is a gently sweet, warm, comforting scent. almond and grains, thin milk (not cream!) and a touch of honey.  less of the cherry-ish brightness i sometimes find with almond, almost like very lightly toasted almonds or almond milk.  the honey has none of the sharpness present sometimes in bpal's honey note, it's mellow and gently sweet. 

being a low-carber, i sometimes make a "fauxtmeal"  from almond meal, almond milk, flax and hemp seeds... this reminds me very much of that. 

sometimes i just want something pleasant, soft, and uncomplicated, that won't linger around forever.  this will really fit that bill, and i won't be surprised if i blow through my imp and end up low-key ordering a bottle. 

Edited by MamaMoth

Honeyed sweetness, foodie for sure. Almond, pleasant. I enjoyed the smell of this but something in it reacted poorly to my skin and gave me a rash

Oats and honey. Simple, cozy, and sweet. I feel like I smell like a delicious breakfast with this one.

Not super “me” (too foody!), but I think I’ll reach for the imp occasionally.