Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Enraged Orangutan Musk

Five dark, aggressive, furious musks with ambergris bouquet, Malaysian rainforest plant extracts, black amber and orange peel.

I've only been a BPAL groupie for three weeks (and have acquired 50 imps - an aquisition rate of 2.38 imps PER DAY. Yes, I've stepped away from the eBay crack pipe for now). This is my first forum scent and my second posted review, FWIW.

I ordered this before I'd figured out that ambergris is bad on my skin and musks are hit-or-miss. So I was thrilled to unwrap my little neatly decanted vial (thanks to roostergrrl/wolfgrrl), but I didn't have high hopes for this one smelling great on me.

In vial: I smell complex, somehow bright musk with a clear green middle note. Not overwhelmingly heavy or feral.

On wrist (dry skin, where scents will go powdery) and in crook of arm (moister skin, where scents stay truer): Not.. not a bad smell. More like a sophisticated commercial perfume than an enraged primate.

Drydown: I dutifully sniff every few minutes for the next hour. I never detect the orange peel (and I wouldn't know the smell of a "Malaysian plant extract" if it bit me, though I suppose that's the green note I smell in the vial) or discern the amber. Instead, the musk continues to make me smell like that 80's perfume "Charlie" - that is, overwhelmingly perfumed. The only bright spot is that there's enough musk to smother the ambergris (which goes gaggingly powdery on me).

Finally, it goes slightly soapy, though not in a bad way. I went to bed with it still on my arm and it's detectable eight hours later as a "sweet clean skin" scent.

This is a great scent. It's just not MY great scent.

Enraged Orangutan Musk

In the imp: oooh, gorgeous sweet dark musk with hints of amber and perhaps a little bit of orange. Not too angry and feral.

Wet on skin: mmm, dark musk…it's a sweet musk, still with hints of amber and orange. I love the colour of this oil-it's orange!

Dry on skin: incense? I swear I'm getting a hint of the incense note I got in Hellion…it's an almost smoky dry woody scent with hints of dried plants and grasses and possibly a bit of palm. I assume those are the Malaysian rainforest extracts, and I'm wondering if one of them is a kind of sandalwood. I also get a very dark musk scent (it is a slightly angry musk now, but it's not animalistic at all, but it does smell a bit burnt-but in a good way), it's similar to Smut, quite sweet but not as vanilla-sweet as Smut was on me. I think I get hints of ambergris and amber as well in this, and a tangy note, which may be orange. This is surprisingly nice!

After a while: the burnt smell increases on me…this really does smell like burning woody incense and dark musk now. I think there may be a kind of sandalwood in here but I'm not certain-but it does remind me of another sandalwood scent which had a burnt feel to it. I also get a little hint of something tangy, almost salty. The scent is almost a scorched musk, brooding, grumbling, and moody, with hints of charred plants and woods. I quite like it though, but not as much as the wet stage.

Then the burnt scent retreats, letting a smoother, softer musk scent through. It's still a bit scorched, but not as much as before-now it's like the lingering smoke after the incense has burnt away. the scent no longer has the sweetness of the first stage.

The final drydown stage is a bit like Devil's Night but drier, and more masculine. the burnt wood note is still there but very faint, and the musk is tangy and manly, with a hint of dried grass.

Verdict: this monkey was quite mild mannered on me, if a little bit huffy at times (but he kept it to himself and behaved fairly well). The musk notes in here range from the sweet and delicious to the heavy and smoky-dark (a bit like Smut) and then ending on a lighter, tangier, slightly masculine musk. There are notes of ambergris, amber and orange that flit through every now and then…but what surprised me was the 'incense' note. It could be the rainforest plant extracts, but on me it smelt like burning sandalwood-based incense with dried grass, and at times this reminded me of Hellion and another incense-sandalwood scent. At times this smelt quite charred indeed, but not off putting. I do like this pissed off primate a lot more than I expected, but I do prefer the bottle and wet stage of this scent, the scent becomes a bit too burnt at times, and masculine at drydown-it is, to me, the more masculine, harder, thuggish version of Smut. I think I may keep a decant of this.

I remembered reading the thread where this all started and laughing my ass off. It was one of the funniest highjacks I have ever read. So when Beth did the forum scent....I had to have it.

I knew it might not work for me, ambergis and some musks are not my friend.

In the bottle: oh yummy. I could smell the ambergis and musks. It is so warm and orangey colored.

On me the first five minutes...oh heaven. The bit of orange comes out and blends so well with the other notes...

Then five minutes later...um....where did it go??? *frantic sniffing of wrist and if i could bend that way my cleavage*

NOOOOOOO

Okay breath....try it at different times of the month...still a wonderful five minutes but only five minutes.

Off to the swaps...but with very fond memories.

I am very much enjoying my bottle of munky musk so far!! :D

In the bottle, it's lovely and quite edible. I can really smell the green here and I can detect the orange peel too. I'm really in the jungle right now.

Once it dries down this stuff really comes into its own. The musk comes out and swirls around my head and I'm projecting quite a bit here, it has quite a throw but not TOO overpowering. I'm not sure what ambergris is supposed to smell like but... I'm giving off a bit of a funky hippy vibe but it's lovable in it's own way. Very growly and quite addictive! :P

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Perfectly mad!

Preconceived notions: Based on the description, sceery things. On the reviews? Lovely things!

In the bottle: Oh, lovely! Musk, something herbal, and rich amber.

On skin, wet: Okay, this is gorgeous. Green and musky, but not of the dark/heavy variety -- aka, the musks that hate me. No, thse are Aredhel-loving musks with amber, herbs and a bit of something fruity hiding along the edges. Perfectly wonderful, this one.

On skin, dry: I am officially smitten. This is, really, exactly what I had hoped Coyote would be -- warm and ambery an herbal quality and a rich, faintly sweet musk. Spicy and earthy and divine.

Conclusion: I can't believe how wrong I was about this one. When it came out, I thought "Oh HELL no -- it's going to be all animal-assy!" And I must say, it's not. And yes, to me it is a wee bit like Smut, but without the booze, not as sweet, and with amber and herbs. Long story short(er), I love the Mad Monkey, and I may need another bottle.

An in-joke I actually get -- those are so rare. Hee. I nabbed a decant from the lovely <lj user=obvious> because I'm not sure if my chemistry agrees with musks yet.

Of course, I know nothing about ANY of the notes in the monkey musk, as made evident by my notes:

Enraged Orangutan Musk

imp: violets?

wet: fruity floral

dry: peach? musk and a nip of citrus

But I do know whether I like something or not, and I have to say, I like this quite a bit. I wish I had gotten a whole bottle, just because -- come ON, Enraged Orangutan Musk! -- but in honor of my pledge not to hoard, I will stick with an imp.

I love this! At first the musks were very...musky, but after a couple hours it smells like skin, only way, way better. sweet and lightly musky and I'm so happy to have it :P

I saw the name, and had to have it. But once I got it, well, it didnt smell very enraged. In fact, it was powdery, and similar to what my sweetie best described as old lady perfume. :P

So its byebye monkeymusk.

In the bottle: It smells woody, reminiscent of huge forests, with a hint of orange. Hmm.

Wet: I get amber over the woods and orange. There seems to be some herbs or perhaps a bit of vetiver? It smells rooty.

Drydown: Spicy, zesty orange that smells rather juicy and woody. It really reminds me of a jungle flavoured aftershave, because there's a cologney elegance to it. I can't really pick out the musk, but it might be black musk, that tends to only show when all the rest has evaporated. It develops a tropical quality to it, though I couldn't explain why - possibly a hint of tropical fruit like mango.

Overall: It's quite a powerful fresh scent, I'd put it as a masculine, aftershave type of scent. I was expecting - dreading - something more animalistic and feral, and this is a pleasant surprise. It vaguely reminds me of Dracul, probably the wood/orange/musk combo, but much more tropical. The extreme drydown is a bit less pleasant - very tart, with slightly more threatening, bitter musks and amber. But generally, it's pretty, it's true to its name and it's hilarious.

I passed on a bottle of this one because although I like don't mind musk in a blend when it's sweet-tempered, I didn't know if I'd like it enraged. Turns out that I made the right choice, though the musk itself is not so furious - I'll probably use this imp, but the blend just isn't really me, so I won't give it much wear.

I do really like the wet greenness I get out of the imp and when freshly applied, it's definitely very rainforesty and gives the scent a nice freshness to balance the alluring combination of amber and all those musks. I'm a big fan of orange too, and I find that it adds a pleasingly tart touch while it lasts... unfortunately, a few hours into the drydown, it goes from being a sweetly musky skin scent to a very unremarkable, dry and powdery mix of musk and amber. I might play around with layering or just give the imp to my mother (this actually smells like perfume she used to wear when she was my age), as there's lots to like about this blend, it's just not quite right on me.

This is not as enraged as I expected it to be. It is actually a very soft, calm blend of musks. I think I'll use this more for layering than on it's own. It is a sweet, light, amber musk.

My roommate thought it smelled a little like old lady perfume. Maybe that was the ambergris.

(Thanks to grrrlennyl for sharing 1/2 an imp with me so I could try it!)

Upon application, Enraged Orangutan Musk was overpoweringly loud and musky. Even though I applied it very sparingly my chemistry amped up those musks to the infinite power and it smelled like I had spilled an entire bottle on myself! :P

The musks did get a bit softer on drydown, but then the ambergris bouquet took over and it got very perfumey. I can see, er, smell, why people have mentioned that it dries down to an old fashioned / "old lady" perfume. I'm pretty sure it's the ambergris bouquet.

In the bottle: A dark musk with a splash of citrus. It's not as heavy or masculine as I thought it would be.

On: Okay, the orange doesn't last out of the bottle. On my skin, it's musk and heavy amber and some wonderful green, planty notes. This might work!

Drydown: Hmm. The nice exotic green notes go away fairly quickly. The blend is a lot softer now, a lighter musk and amber perfume.

I imagine layering Buck Moon and Jacob's Ladder would produce something similar to the Enraged Orangutan. I have both of those bottles, so I don't know if this one is a keeper.

This is so....pretty.

Sweet, warm, soft.

A tiny bit tropical.

Would be nice layered with some gardenia.

It is a cuddly baby orangutan, not the least bit angry.

I like it!

In bottle: Fiercely animalistic. It is extremely musky, but there are hints of something sweet too. It is surprisingly sweet.

On me: On the skin, the amber emerges. It is still a musk fragrance, but it is a beautifully feminine musk. It doesn't scream ANIMAL! anymore. It is very mellow. :P Unfortunately it is also a bit plastic-like on my skin, so I won't be keeping it. ***

This was a much ligher musk than I expected. I even detect floral in it. Nothing you know, cloying, but a light prettyness on top of SEX.

You only need a dab of this stuff. Gary says three dabs is WAY too much, but it does quieten down quickly enough, so you won't die from overkill.

I love love this! *hoardes*

Bottle: Musk, musk, and more musk. Oh, musk usually loves us, we are excited already, we are. We loves the precious.

Wet: A sharp edge, green. Not sure of the note, but it's there. And a hint of the amber, and yes, it's dark. Oh goody!

Dry: The barest hint of the orange in a little sweet citrus-y ting at the end of a whiff - more of the amber, it's a dark golden warm yummy-ness, enveloping but not overbearing. Intense olfactory flavor...flavor-full, not intense like 'whew, man, is that intense!'

Later: Looooove it! It's mellow, little throw. And we loves the musk! I have always loved the way people hug me when I have a really lovely musk on - they hug, they take a deep breath, sigh, and hug some more. :P

Yay! I finally got my Mad Monkey decant! But I think this monkey will probably be looking for a new home soon.

While many of the scents I like have musk in them, there is such a thing as too much a good thing, and this is definitely it where musk is concerned. This scent is far too heavily musky for me - I can barely pick up the other notes, though there are subtle hints of them here and there. Mostly it's just "I am musk, hear me roar!"

It's actually kind of reminiscent of Glasya, for those who remember that one, but with less of a floral component.

And like that one, it does mellow a bit on drydown, and allows the other notes out to play a bit, though the musk is definitely still at centre stage. But on the whole, it's still pretty heavy -- a little more monkey than I can handle.

C+/B-

Oh, man, when I first put this on I was in heaven - it was animalistic without being feral and dank, it was green without being herbal and making me sneeze. It was lush. The GREENEST thing I'd ever smelled. Deep, deep rainforest green. I could actually smell the humidity. And the tropical blossoms. And the untouched forest where only animals had lived for so long.

Half an hour later? Bam. Dryer sheets. Hot damn was I sad.

Wet on the skin, EOM is dark, dry, and almost woody. A dark, bracing citrus emerges almost immediately, as well as a tingly soapiness that I suspect is due to the plant extracts. I'm not familiar with black amber, so I'm not sure if I'm smelling it or not.

As it dries down...another BPAL dark earthy scent =/ not nearly as exciting as I had hoped.

just got my decant~ yay!

in the imp it smells like perfume store, i was worried.

i put some on and rubbed my wrists together like i usually do...its thick! and it evened out to a warm orangey scent.

i'm getting vanilla out of this! i smell like a musky creamsicle :D! i get some of the rainforest in the back with a hint of woodsy. maybe its an orangutan eating a creamsicle in the forest? idunno if i'd wear this a lot but it sure is interesting and quite pretty :P

First whiff: Musks, obviously, but much tamer than I thought.

Drydown: Ah, it's getting kind of "perfumey", unfortunately.

Within an hour, though, that "perfumey" layer vanishes, and I'm left with a very pleasant muskiness (now that sounded wrong :P), surprisingly light (definitely can't smell any red musk in there), with a soft, unobtrusive green note, slightly woodsy and with a very light tanginess to it. The amber is detectable but very subtle, and I can't smell the orange peel.

I don't know what ambergris smells like, unfortunately, I'd love to tell it apart here... actually, I believe that smell I didn't know before (boy is that a helpful review or what? :D), that's very slightly reminiscent of white musk, might be it. And it's really lovely. This puppy is getting better by the hour!

There's definitely something special and pleasant about this blend, it's unique and beautifully blended.

Verdict: frankly, I got a decant of this mostly because, Hilariously Legendary Blend Name! But I wasn't actually expecting to like it all that much, and I'm very pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't hunt down a bottle, but it is definitively unique and really, really pleasant.

The throw is almost non-existent, unfortunately.

7.5/10

I missed out on buying Enraged Orangutan Musk when it was on the website, but luckily, a forumite sold me her bottle. Score!

I really wanted to try Enraged Orangutan Musk, and I'm not disappointed. The scent is masculine, but with my skin chemistry, it doesn't club you over the head and go *whomp!* "I am MAAAAAN!!" and beat its chest or something. It's actually kind of soft and gentle, like Mr Orangutan has a sensitive side.

"Indeed, I am Enraged on the outside, but it's merely the sign of a wounded heart."

Aaaah.

I do get the woodsy notes, but they don't jump out at you. EOM is very well-blended; it's hard for me to really pick out notes. I just keep sniffing my skin and going "aaah." I do smell the ambergris, which is probably the most noticable note on my skin. Ambergris rules. The fragrance becomes brighter the longer I wear it, definitely trampling around in the "unisex" category.

Yep, this bottle is definitely a keeper. Since we're going into summer at the moment, I'm glad EOM isn't heavy so I can wear it during the scorching heat we get down here in Orlando. Plus, the orangutan on the label looks like a cross between a citizen of Planet of the Apes and a Wookie. Way cool.

-doreen

On my skin, this is muskymuskymusky, whoa. Very masculine and sexy, but a little much on me.

I went and washed off a bit, so what I've got left is a lighter version which retains the sexy but loses a lot of the 'manly man' aggression. After a couple of hours, it's faded and I can smell...cocoa? Huh. This is a really interesting blend. I'm hoping it'll smell dead sexy on the husband.