Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ajcj213499

Carnations

I love carnation (back in the day I used to wear Bellogia...probably misspelled--which is carnation plus)...

for me Desdemona was not carnation; more soft very sweet flowers. But it was also oddly terribly sad, so much so I couldn't wear it (though it smells wonderful). Passed my imp to a less easily saddened friend.

I know this is kind of an old thread, but how strong is the carnations in Maenad and Desdemona?

I'm a big fan of carnation, but I don't get a strong spicy carnation note at all in Desdemona - to me, it's a soft old-fashioned floral nosegay scent. Very pretty and somewhat wistful.

Maenad is big time fruit and green floral on me. I get no hint of a traditional carnation note at all from this scent.

My favorite scents for carnation's sake are:

Alice (carnation worn by a little girl) Maiden (carnation worn by a young woman) Carnivale (carnation worn by a woman of the world) and of course, Carnation single note.

In addition to Alice and Maiden, Morocco is one of my favorite carnation scents. Spicy carnations + Moroccan spices = delicious!

i am a carnation fiend, and i personally think the most carnation-y scents are alice and maiden, though maiden's rose note is a bit more prominent on me.

carnivale was overpowered by berries, maenad by fruits. i love brisingamen but didn't realize it had carnation, so i'll have to re-try it.

i also love the bow and crown of conquest- i get leather, musk and carnation from it mostly. it's so good, but the leather does put a different twist on the carnation.

i am dying to try the carnation single note, but i have never even seen anyone with it.

I love carnation! Morocco is my favorite carnation-y GC. It's floral, woodsy and spicey all at once. Imagine a sandalwood spice chest filled with spices and carnation flowers. :P Moscow is another one I love - it's amber, rose, and carnation but for some reason on me it smells mostly carnation. It's lighter than Morocco, and less spicy.

In the LE's, The Masque and Gypsy Queen both have carnation and I adore them.

I haven't tried Maiden, but I think I'll put it on my wishlist!

Edited by Chrysantza

I know this is kind of an old thread, but how strong is the carnations in Maenad and Desdemona?

Oops, I didn't see your specific question when I first responded... sorry about that!

First, speaking as moderator of this section :P , don't ever apologize for bumping an old thread if it addresses something you are interested in! :D There are always new scents that have debuted since that old thread fell pages away into the depths of the forum... and of course, we all want to avoid the dreaded duplicate threads. I'm pretty lenient in here about letting anyone start a thread to get specific recs, but I usually merge anything that I can (and I rely on the reminder/warning system in those cases where it's apparent that someone didn't do a search, didn't look at the pinned threads to find links to the common recs threads, etc.).

Now, for the scents you asked about. Maenad is a scent everyone should try, IMO - it doesn't smell like what you'd expect it to - but I don't really get dominant carnation from it. There's a lot of sweetness from the berry & orange blossom but it's tempered by the spicy and woody notes.

Desdemona is one of my favorites from my very first order and is a beautiful floral, but it doesn't have a dominant carnation note to my nose either.

I really love carnation, so one of my favorite methods of amping up the carnation in my BPAL is to use Lush's Potion lotion (it was discontinued, but is available through UK mail order - you can usually get in on a group order on the Lush forum, or pick up a bottle through the swaps area there).

I forgot to mention Bathsheba as another one of my favorite carnation scents. I just pulled my bottle out since it's gotten cold here, since I find it a little heavy for the hot and humid weather. Carnation and plum are really pretty together - spicy and sweet.

I have to second Hod (as Shelldoo gave the only other rec for it in this thread that I saw) - it was basically a carnation soliflore on me, though I know other people smell amber and the like in it. Lovely.

I've tried all the carnation scents that people usually suggest, because I went on a carnation quest about a year or so ago, and Hod is the only scent I found that actually had a discernable carnation note on me.

I searched for a Carnation post but didn't find one, so...

What other scents have carnation that is similar to that in Alice? That one worked really well on me so I'd love to hear some other recs. :P I love anything sweet or creamy, nothing with more than just a touch of spice. I go more for florals, fruits, and gourmands over greens and aquatics, but all recommendations appreciated! :D

Also, I did a search for Carnation and these are the ones that seem appealing to me, so if you have any comments on any of the following I'd love to hear them too!

Maenad

Terpsichore

Moscow

What other scents have carnation that is similar to that in Alice? That one worked really well on me so I'd love to hear some other recs. :P I love anything sweet or creamy, nothing with more than just a touch of spice. I go more for florals, fruits, and gourmands over greens and aquatics, but all recommendations appreciated! :D

Also, I did a search for Carnation and these are the ones that seem appealing to me, so if you have any comments on any of the following I'd love to hear them too!

Maenad

Terpsichore

Moscow

Definitely Morocco if you like gourmands. It's like a cinnamon bun on me, but it does have creamy carnation in it. I haven't tried Bathsheba yet (it's in the mail to me right now!!!) but it has carnation and it seems to be a favourite with folks too.

Maenad

Terpsichore

Moscow

Definitely Morocco if you like gourmands. It's like a cinnamon bun on me, but it does have creamy carnation in it. I haven't tried Bathsheba yet (it's in the mail to me right now!!!) but it has carnation and it seems to be a favourite with folks too.

Yay sounds delicious! I just bought an imp from someone so I can't wait for it to come! Reading the previous thread I'm thinking of trying Maiden and Brisingamen too. :D

Yay sounds delicious! I just bought an imp from someone so I can't wait for it to come! Reading the previous thread I'm thinking of trying Maiden and Brisingamen too. :P

Maiden is probably my favorite carnation scent in the GC, but Morocco and Brisingamen didn't do much for me at all...I've given them both multiple chances because they are always being recommended by people, however I always end up trading the imps away again. Maenad is nice but very fruity to me more than being a floral. Alice is a very soft carnation, not the bright spicy variety at all. My fave carnation LE is definitely Carnivale...sweet at first but then drying down to be the next best thing to Carnation SN (which I also have and love)

Edited by moonarcana

not to derail (well maybe it's only a SLIGHT tangent :P ) but have you carnation lovers ordered Pink Moon yet? I just caved today and I can't WAIT!!!! :D

PS My favorite carnation-ey bpal so far is Alice. It layers SO nicely with my beloved LUSH potion. :D

I'm really excited to have another carnation scent! And I have really enjoyed the sugared florals Beth's created so far (I'm thinking Midnight on the Midway, Hope & Faith). I am so looking forward to getting Pink Moon '07.

Huh. I knew I liked Brisingamen but didn't know it had carnation in it. Carnation works really well on me. (Except for the Spicy Carnation body butter from Skindazzles, which was too powerfully scented--I don't like it when my body butters double as room fresheners.)

I have to say Bathsheba is the tippiest top of my carnation faves. The Masque (long gone) is another wonderful carnation blend.

Heck yeah I ordered Pink Moon! :P

Fourthing or fifthing (??? :P ) Hod as my favorite BPAL carnation scent.

I ordered two bottles of Pink Moon -- high hopes for this as well.

IMO, not very strong at all. I couldn't even pick out carnation as a note in those blends...they just registered as "floral" to my nose.

Two scents that are VERY carnation-y are Hod (GC, Sephiroth range) and Chrysanthemum Moon (a recent LE, not too hard to find in swaps).

oooh, thanks for this thread. i've been wondering what bpal have carnation in them. i'm a big lover of lushes potion/rrs bbs and the carnation is amazing in them. now i know what to pair them with. :P

Thanks for answering my question Moonarcana, IvyandPeony, Parrot_Suspect!

I ended up ordering an Imp of Maenad and on me, it was carnation and opium heaven, with just the right amount of strawberry for a further twist... but now my chemistry’s changed :D , and it’s mainly strawberries and hibiscus. Boo.

I haven’t noticed any in Zarita, either, but I’m still eagerly awaiting my bottle of Pink Moon. :P

And that error I made in my post is poking my eye out. :D :)

Maiden, Maiden, Maiden.

Maened went all sweet and berry on me :D

And I'm definitely checking my mailbox for Pink Moon! :P

I had to order Pink Moon just because of the carnation. :P

I don't know if Abhisarika (Valentine's Day LE) has any carnation in it but to me it's a lot like Alice, a very soft creamy floral.

From the GC scents, if you haven't tried Moscow, it's very carnation-y to me.

Bumping to add that the carnation in Pink Moon 07 was fantastic on me. Just the right touch of spicy floral that the blend needed! I never noticed the carnation in Alice, but I think I will order Maiden and try that.

Nidaba, Alice on me smelled of creamy air, if that makes any sense, and Maiden was the one that gave sense to the expression "spicy carnations". Maiden is THE carnation blend to me.

Nia, do you do anything special to get Maiden to last on you? I have been testing Maiden over the weekend and the great spicey smell doesn't last on me. :P It's probably just my chemistry as with all other oils, but I thought I'd ask.

I agree that Maiden is a wonderful carnation scent though I'm now going to check out Alice, just in case.

Does anyone else get carnation from Mama-Ji? It lists "flowers" as a note, but doesn't get specific. Maybe it's just the floral + spice combination, but Mama-Ji reminds me of the carnation in Maiden made spicier, deeper, and, well, older is the word that comes to mind.