Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
drinbanana

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?

Hello!

I'm about to make my first order for some samples and reading through the reviews I think I've found a few that I'm sure I would like. My favorite perfumes so far usually have strong vanilla notes: Hanae Mori, Escada Collection, Versace Metal Jeans, Chantecaille Frangipane, Burberry Brit, and Acqua di Parma Mandorlo di Sicilia. I'm not too big on florals, but I like warm, sweet, a little spicey, a little musk. So far this is the list of samples I've come up with:

LUST

HOLLYWOOD BABYLON

O

SNAKE OIL

ALICE

OLD MOROCCO

CARNIVALE

If anyone has any other suggestions, good/bad feedback on any of these I'd love to hear! Thanks :P

You should try Dana O'Shee. Jack is fabulous as well, but it is not so much vanilla as pumpkin & warm spices.

I'm the only one who's ever reviewed it, but Golden Priapus is a really nice, unusual vanilla - a little strange in the vial, but bewitchingly nice on the skin - I'd say close to a masculine version of Snake Oil.

I originally gave the Imp's Ear to Husband as I didn't like the scent in the vial but decided one day to give it a fair trial ... needless to say, he never got it back!! :P

I haven't tried it on yet, but Tombstone smells a bit like cedarwood dipped in vanilla. Very intriguing.

Also, Dragon's Heart went a bit vanilla-y on me, and that one is all warmth and musk and just all-around gorgeous.

Siren is mostly ginger, but if you like that, it's a really gorgeous bakery scent with a definite vanilla undertone.

Carnivale was nice at first and then the amber went weird on me - my skin doesn't get along with resins (though apparently it's OK with dragon's blood...) It struck me as much more of a berry scent than a vanilla, but would probably match your warm-sweet-spicy tastes. And Snake Oil is awesome, of course. :P

Since you enjoy Hanae Mori, Hollywood Babylon seems like a good one to try because it has a lot of strawberry. And Old Morocco is a very nice spicy scent (soft spice and sandalwood on my skin). I haven't tried enough samples yet to be more helpful or to know some good vanillas to suggest, but many people like Snake Oil. Good luck!

today I tried Golden Priapus for the first time and came up withe the same conclusion as RosieP!

On my skin they dry almost the same, but Golden Priapus has more power. Though on my skin, Snake oil lasts longer

I am betting that you will be most pleased (more like enraptured) with Snake Oil and Dana O'Shee. I love vanilla-based scents and they are two of my favorites. Can't speak for O but I recently ordered a 5 ml, scent unsmelled, just because I KNOW I'll love it as it combines my two favorite things - vanilla and amber. I didn't find Carnivale to have that much of a vanilla scent on me - the carnation was by far the predominant note - but, as always, that could just be my body chemistry. Regardless, it's a very nice scent.

I am having fun with my first order of imp's ears, however; it has become clear to me that I need help in selecting the next bunch. :P I am pretty new at this and I made a couple of mistakes.

I tried "O" and while it smells great going on, the only thing that persists on me is the amber. I can't smell the vanilla at all, and I was hoping for a stronger vanilla note. I also got Dragon's Milk, which has turned into a very berry smell on me.

So now I am thinking of getting different vanilla scents, hoping that the vanilla in one of these will be more obvious: Tamora, Snake Oil, Hunger. I know that they all smell different on everyone and maybe my skin just absorbs vanilla or something, but any advice is welcome.

I also love coconut, and am getting The Star in my next order. Are there other coconut ones?

My other big decision is between two blackberry scents: Bewitched and Dragon's Heart. Suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by deandra

I missed out on buying a bottle of the vanilla bean single note, and I crave vanilla. I love Snake Oil, but I also want a vanilla scent without the spice. Regan was more orchid than vanilla on me. I want a sugar vanilla smell that isn't "candle-y". Any recs?

I find "O" to have lots of rich vanilla when I wear it, very creamy rather than the kind of strident, icky faux-vanilla smell I associate with cheap vanilla candles.

Have you tried Dragon's Milk?  It's lovely and once the initial burst of dragon's blood dries off, a sweet-sweet vanilla remains.  :P

I'll second that! Dragon's Milk is one of my favorites!

I have noticed a pattern in the perfumes I absolutely adore: vanilla & florals...especially Jasmine or Rose.

The BPAL selection is limited in these combos. I love Siren but it's more of a warm weather perfume. Mata Hari didn't work at all for me, the coffee became prominent. Desire was "ok" but not "special", if you know what I mean. Golden P, I haven't tried because it's rosewood, not rose.

As far as non-BPAL fragrances I love Burberry's London, J'dore (no vanilla listed but it turns vanillish on me), Jean Louie Scherrer 2 and DSH Antique Rose.

Scherrer 2 was my signature fragrance for many years. Unfortunately, it's too closely associated with an old flame of mine. Since it's not as familiar as the other one's, here's the notes to give you some ideas.

SCHERRER 2

By JEAN LOUIS SCHERRER

YEAR INTRODUCED - 1950

FRAGRANCE NOTES - Bergamot, pineapple, anise, jasmine, tuberose, honey, vanilla, sandal, heliotrope, benzoin.

I'd really like to use just BPAL, any blend suggestions?

Edited by Red_Hot_Mama

Tamora is a peachy-scent with vanilla and sandalwood.

I'm eager to try Belle Epoque -- described as "Sweet opium, Lily of the Valley, vanilla, mandarin and red sandalwood."

Still doesn't give you the rose or jasmine pairing.

Desire contains the rose-vanilla combo.

What I've noticed with the BPAL vanilla notes is that its frequent partner is honey. On the site, there are 20 scents listing vanilla as a note. A fifth of those also have a honey note. Ditto amber. Perhaps some new formulations might have these in combination. I wonder what vanilla and rose would smell like?

The scent you posted sounds amazing. I honestly can't imagine what that might smell like!

Best of luck!

Le Serpent Qui Danse is a sweet vanilla floral. Here's the description from the website:

"A sinister, darkly seductive scent inspired by poetry of Charles Baudelaire. Violet entwined with vanilla and gardenia."

I have an imp and have been meaning to order a bige bottle for a while now. It's quite nice.

I really like Tamora but again, it seems more like a Summertime perfume. I checked out the honey & Eve, Blood Kiss & Jezebel looks interesting. "O" might be a possibility. White Rabbit is on order.

Funny story about the Sherrer 2. A cab driver in Boston pulled the car over & said "You smell SO FRENCH! What are you wearing? I have to get this for my sister!"

That was a first!

Thanks for the honey suggestion. I remember people really liked the Honey single note Beth uses.

O doesn't smell like roses or jasmine to me, it's very honeyed and warm and amber-y. I haven't tried (Old) New Orleans, but I hear the jasmine is pretty prominent and lovely there.

Eve, on me, has the apple blossoms very prominently. It's a nice, girlish floral. :P

I really like Tamora but again, it seems more like a Summertime perfume.  I checked out the honey & Eve, Blood Kiss & Jezebel looks interesting.  "O" might be a possibility.  White Rabbit is on order.

Blood Kiss is absolutely lovely. It's definitely a more fall-winter perfume. It's nice because the sweetness of the cherry, honey and vanilla really blend well with the clove, poppy and musk. Makes for a very heady, sweet, almost euphoric, blend. I have a bottle on order now. I can't say enough for this one. I'm a bpal newb, however, and don't know all of the scents.

Has anyone suggested Persephone? It's pomegranate and roses. It's missing the honey/vanilla, but I've read the reviews and it's supposed to be very sweet. Just a thought.

Alice might work well for you as a sugared rose...I'm a vanilla fan, and Alice works well in any season for me.