Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
drinbanana

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?

Lately I have been really loving woodsy or patchouli vanilla blends. Some favorites are yucca yucca giant skipper, fulvous snow, NAVA egpytian sandalwood and possests silver sandalwood. Any recommendations for BPALs? I tried BPTPs RR and it's perfect and can't wait til the lab version releases. A lady tall and white did not work at all. No vanilla on me. Thanks!

Tombstone?

Old Scratch?

Belle Epoque?

Forgot to mention Crowley, Mr. Ibis, Bow & Crown of Conquest, Mouse Circus, Mouse's Long and Sad Tail, and Kubla Khan Edited by sprout

So I'm looking for (craving really) more vanilla! I'd like to expand my collection a bit. Would appreciate recs!

My favorite vanillas: Snake Oil, Banshee Beat, and Snake Charmer. Also, I loove my Black Vanilla & Cardamom hairgloss! Wish I could turn it into a perfume oil!

With that being said.... I've not been able to find any of these LE's I just listed above. Pretty much giving up on those until they decide to finally release Revanent Rhythm. (What's taking so long?!) And fingers crossed that Snake Charmer will make a comeback! Do you guys have any recs for me that are in my vanilla range?

Some scents that are currently striking my interest... Gypsy Moth (though there seems to be more negative reviews, looks amazing!), Hope & Fear Set Free, and Madagascan Vanilla Rum.

Vanilla type scents I'm not looking for - Eat Me, Mouse's Long & Sad Tale, TKO. Those are all nice. But a little too nice. ;) Also, honey is usually a deal breaker for me.

I do like Lyonesse and wear that when I'm feeling all innocent or need a light work scent. Vanilla + Aquatic was surprisingly good to me.

Edited by ziggystardust13

Hey there- I would suggest the following for a darker and/or more complex vanilla:

Celeste

Burning Vulva

Avenger

Defututa

Golden Priapus

Liz

Tombeur

Now Winter Nights Enlarge

Yes, I think you would like both Hope & Fear Set Free and Madagascan Vanilla Rum.

If you would like something similar to Snake Charmer + chocolate try Tarantula Fascinator.

My favorite vanilla is the YES perfume from the trading post that came with the spirit board. It's beautiful. It's been taken off the site, but if you message puddin and he still has some, I'm sure you could work something out. (The spirit board that I have is also beautiful fyi)

My favorite vanilla is the YES perfume from the trading post that came with the spirit board. It's beautiful. It's been taken off the site, but if you message puddin and he still has some, I'm sure you could work something out. (The spirit board that I have is also beautiful fyi)

Oh! It never occurred to me to contact him and ask now that it's been taken down. I have no use for a Spirit Board but would have loved the Yes perfume, especially as I love lemon. Fantastic idea!

I've been searching for the perfect vanilla too, and am not sure I have found it yet (though I have a few more to test)

I love aged Snake Oil, and Tombeur, though Tombeur is not very vanilla on me. Actually, nor is Snake Oil for that matter.

Edith Cushing is a beautiful soft elegant vanilla-musk on me. Between Your Heart and Mine is an amazing vanilla-rose. But I still feel like I haven't found THE VANILLA.

I Love Eat Me, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, The Antikythera Mechanism, Tombstone, but none of them have very much vanilla on me....maybe my skin just eats Vanilla? I have Detestable Putrescence....it smells like sour cheese on me for the first bit, so I only wear it to bed. Lol. And it's still not the vanilla I'm looking for, it's too buttery.

I wanted Liz to be my vanilla, so badly, it would have been really cool to wear a perfume with the same name as me, but sadly it didn't work on my skin. *sigh*

Anyone wanna suggest some I haven't thought of? I am willing to hunt for LE's. I think it have just secured some Love's Philosophy and Blossoms in Springtime, and I also have some MB: Underpants to test from the nicest forumite ever. But I am totally open to suggestions!

Thanks for the recs SophieCedar! Unfortunately I've tried many of those and the ones with honey all ruined the scent for me. For some reason, honey translates to funk on my skin. I will definitely look into the others :)

And super idea, Annemathematics! The scent does sound nice. Wonder if it's got a smoky-ish quality to it? That would be so pretty with the lemon+vanilla. Kind of what I wanted Carnival Diabolique to be!

ziggystardust13: I recommend you give Gypsy Moth a try now that it has some age on it. When I first got it, the vanilla was sort of plasticky, and the other elements didn't seem to mesh. I stuck it in the back of my BPAL box and forgot about it. Now that it's got some age on it, it's soft creamy vanilla with some spice. It's lovely, and at some point I may search for a back-up!

Thanks for the recs SophieCedar! Unfortunately I've tried many of those and the ones with honey all ruined the scent for me. For some reason, honey translates to funk on my skin. I will definitely look into the others :)

And super idea, Annemathematics! The scent does sound nice. Wonder if it's got a smoky-ish quality to it? That would be so pretty with the lemon+vanilla. Kind of what I wanted Carnival Diabolique to be!

Nope. Yes is not smokey. It's light and fresh and beautiful.

ziggystardust13: I recommend you give Gypsy Moth a try now that it has some age on it. When I first got it, the vanilla was sort of plasticky, and the other elements didn't seem to mesh. I stuck it in the back of my BPAL box and forgot about it. Now that it's got some age on it, it's soft creamy vanilla with some spice. It's lovely, and at some point I may search for a back-up!

Thanks! I'm gonna try and hunt down a bottle :)

I've been searching for the perfect vanilla too, and am not sure I have found it yet (though I have a few more to test)

I love aged Snake Oil, and Tombeur, though Tombeur is not very vanilla on me. Actually, nor is Snake Oil for that matter.

Edith Cushing is a beautiful soft elegant vanilla-musk on me. Between Your Heart and Mine is an amazing vanilla-rose. But I still feel like I haven't found THE VANILLA.

I Love Eat Me, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, The Antikythera Mechanism, Tombstone, but none of them have very much vanilla on me....maybe my skin just eats Vanilla? I have Detestable Putrescence....it smells like sour cheese on me for the first bit, so I only wear it to bed. Lol. And it's still not the vanilla I'm looking for, it's too buttery.

I wanted Liz to be my vanilla, so badly, it would have been really cool to wear a perfume with the same name as me, but sadly it didn't work on my skin. *sigh*

Anyone wanna suggest some I haven't thought of? I am willing to hunt for LE's. I think it have just secured some Love's Philosophy and Blossoms in Springtime, and I also have some MB: Underpants to test from the nicest forumite ever. But I am totally open to suggestions!

You have so kindly recommended things to me, so now's my chance to repay the favour!

I find Morocco to be an absolutely spot on smell-alike to Possets Arcturus which is listed as Madagascan, Tahitian and Mexican vanilla. I know there is (maybe?) zero vanilla in Morocco, but my nose never lies and it is telling me it is the exact same lush, smooth, creamy non-foody, somehow perfumey vanilla as Arcturus. It might just be my weirdo skin, but you never know!

You have so kindly recommended things to me, so now's my chance to repay the favour!

I find Morocco to be an absolutely spot on smell-alike to Possets Arcturus which is listed as Madagascan, Tahitian and Mexican vanilla. I know there is (maybe?) zero vanilla in Morocco, but my nose never lies and it is telling me it is the exact same lush, smooth, creamy non-foody, somehow perfumey vanilla as Arcturus. It might just be my weirdo skin, but you never know!

I LOVE Morocco! You know what, I never thought about it, but Morocco DOES sort of have a vanilla vibe - creamy, smooth, all those things. Maybe that's why I love it so much? I sometimes wonder if maybe I'm just not meant to wear BPAL vanilla, but that would be such a sad thing! Thanks for the rec! Maybe I just need to convince myself that some of the things I already have smell more like vanilla than I originally thought....lol.

I LOVE Morocco! You know what, I never thought about it, but Morocco DOES sort of have a vanilla vibe - creamy, smooth, all those things. Maybe that's why I love it so much? I sometimes wonder if maybe I'm just not meant to wear BPAL vanilla, but that would be such a sad thing! Thanks for the rec! Maybe I just need to convince myself that some of the things I already have smell more like vanilla than I originally thought....lol.

It's so fascinating how chemically identical scents are perceived as different things by different people on the basis of expectation, scent memories and how our skin reacts to it. Maybe if you find BPAL's vanilla doesn't work for you, perhaps you could nail down the specific elements of vanilla you love and seek them out in other notes?

So I'm looking for (craving really) more vanilla! I'd like to expand my collection a bit. Would appreciate recs!

My favorite vanillas: Snake Oil, Banshee Beat, and Snake Charmer. Also, I loove my Black Vanilla & Cardamom hairgloss! Wish I could turn it into a perfume oil!

With that being said.... I've not been able to find any of these LE's I just listed above. Pretty much giving up on those until they decide to finally release Revanent Rhythm. (What's taking so long?!) And fingers crossed that Snake Charmer will make a comeback! Do you guys have any recs for me that are in my vanilla range?

Respectfully snipped. Since you like Black Vanilla & Cardamom HG, have you considered Antikythera Mechanism? The notes are "Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco.". It was also an LE hair gloss as a lunacy poll winner, in addition to being a GC perfume.

And since you love Banshee Beat, have you considered using Revenant Rhythm bath oil and/or hair gloss as a body perfume/body spray? I love Banshee Beat as well and have it, and I really find the Trading Post's RR products to be just perfect. Because there are always slight differences in the way the scent turns out on my skin between the products, in some ways I find the RR bath oil to edge a bit more towards the vanilla side, but not too much.

Respectfully snipped. Since you like Black Vanilla & Cardamom HG, have you considered Antikythera Mechanism? The notes are "Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco.". It was also an LE hair gloss as a lunacy poll winner, in addition to being a GC perfume.

And since you love Banshee Beat, have you considered using Revenant Rhythm bath oil and/or hair gloss as a body perfume/body spray? I love Banshee Beat as well and have it, and I really find the Trading Post's RR products to be just perfect. Because there are always slight differences in the way the scent turns out on my skin between the products, in some ways I find the RR bath oil to edge a bit more towards the vanilla side, but not too much.

Thanks for the recs! I need to retest Antikythera Mechanism. I remember it being a little on the masculine side and I ended up swapping it. I did try Gypsy Moth though and I def get that Cardamom/vanilla combo like in the hair gloss. Loving it!

And Revenant Rhythym is sooo good. A generous forum member sent me some to try and I am hooked. I also recently tried Goblin and thought it was Banshee at first! The dry down is different with the coconut but the benzoin gives it a sweetness. Very similar.

I probably have posted this before but Lady Death Savage is one of the most wonderful vanilla scents ever! It's womanly and sexy with that floral and ambergris backdrop.

I probably have posted this before but Lady Death Savage is one of the most wonderful vanilla scents ever! It's womanly and sexy with that floral and ambergris backdrop.

:laugh: That's one of my husband's favorites, for himself that is!

He however does tend to go for more "flowery " things than you would suspect. One night he wore Raven Moon to bed...it smelled just amazing on him.

I tend to go for more "manly" things so I guess we even out.

Lady Death smells gorgeous on him btw. It's a beautiful perfume.

I recently tried Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, and I love it--it's like creamy vanilla pineapple. Can anyone suggest scents that remind them of Mouse's?

You might try:

Bastet

Lyonesse

Aeval

Tamora

Hetairae (the drydown)

Eden

I recently tried Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, and I love it--it's like creamy vanilla pineapple. Can anyone suggest scents that remind them of Mouse's?

You know, I've tried Bastet, Tamora, and Hetairae, and it wouldn't have occurred to me to compare any of them to Mouse's. Lyonesse is def. on my wish list, and I'll add Eden--I hadn't even heard of it.

You might try:

Bastet

Lyonesse

Aeval

Tamora

Hetairae (the drydown)

Eden

Okay I have discovered my guy LOVES Antique Lace (join the club bud) and he wanted to slather himself in it and diffuse it so I had to explain that it is very precious. I gave him an imp of The Lights of Men's Lives as a non-foody vanilla alternative and he really liked it and I am wondering if there are other ones that you guys would recommend? Masculine leaning would be interesting but I honestly don't think it matters to him as long as it isn't a super-sugar-floral explosion.

Okay I have discovered my guy LOVES Antique Lace (join the club bud) and he wanted to slather himself in it and diffuse it so I had to explain that it is very precious. I gave him an imp of The Lights of Men's Lives as a non-foody vanilla alternative and he really liked it and I am wondering if there are other ones that you guys would recommend? Masculine leaning would be interesting but I honestly don't think it matters to him as long as it isn't a super-sugar-floral explosion.

has he tried Dorian?

has he tried Dorian?
I thought of that one (when will it come back in stock??) Would Theodosius be similar enough? I have a hard time distinguishing foody vs. nonfoody in descriptions