Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
drinbanana

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?

Not sure if I should make a thread or not, but does anyone know of any aquatic vanillas? List all of the ones you are familiar with, if so... I'm really curious!

Lyonesse is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Not sure if I should make a thread or not, but does anyone know of any aquatic vanillas? List all of the ones you are familiar with, if so... I'm really curious!

I thought of Lyonesse, and was also wondering if Banded Sea Snake might count, since it is a Snake Oil blend and an aquatic... Snake Oil has a definite vanilla component and all... :think:

I thought of Lyonesse, and was also wondering if Banded Sea Snake might count, since it is a Snake Oil blend and an aquatic... Snake Oil has a definite vanilla component and all... :think:

I love my Banded Sea Snake, but we should probably warn it's more aftershave than aquatic.

Anyone got recs for spicy vanillas that aren't necessarily gourmand? Like, vanilla-tinged "florientals" and the like? I want to dip my toes more into the sweetness of vanilla, but hate smelling like food. ^^;;

To give you an example of vanilla blends I dig - I kinda like Euphrosyne and Lyonesse, and really like my bottle of Hod v2. Dolce Stil Nuovo and Three Brides have a nice vanilla flower smell in them that I enjoy as well. I don't like Snake Oil (yeah, blasphemy, I know) because it's got patchouli - that note makes me physically ill, so it's a 100% dealbreaker. Honey doesn't make me ill, but I also don't really like the smell, so O was a no-go when I tried it.

Anyone got recs for spicy vanillas that aren't necessarily gourmand? Like, vanilla-tinged "florientals" and the like? I want to dip my toes more into the sweetness of vanilla, but hate smelling like food. ^^;;

To give you an example of vanilla blends I dig - I kinda like Euphrosyne and Lyonesse, and really like my bottle of Hod v2. Dolce Stil Nuovo and Three Brides have a nice vanilla flower smell in them that I enjoy as well. I don't like Snake Oil (yeah, blasphemy, I know) because it's got patchouli - that note makes me physically ill, so it's a 100% dealbreaker. Honey doesn't make me ill, but I also don't really like the smell, so O was a no-go when I tried it.

Have you tried Tombstone? That's a very spicy Vanilla IMO. Similar to Snake Oil on me but without the patch.

liz?

ava?

mouse's sad and long tale?

hesiod's phoenix?

when stars are weeping?

the fragmented alice scent at century guild, who in the world am I is a gorgeous lavender vanillla, as is tko

I second the Tombstone recommendation, but you have to like sassafras in order to enjoy that one. If it's not your thing at first, let it age for a while, and try it again, as the vanilla comes out more with age. Tombstone has my favorite vanilla note. It may be too foody for you, though (as it's kind of like a creamy root beer float with some cedar).

annemathematics listed some really good recommendations. Definitely try Ava -- if you don't like it, it won't be difficult to rehome. Sadly, I didn't get much vanilla from Who in the World Am I, but it definitely fits the 'floriental' description. Everyone should try TKO!

If you haven't already, try Dorian!

Eclipse might end up being too gourmand for you, but you could give it a try and see what notes your skin chooses to bring out the most. On me, it's mostly almond, vanilla, and cinnamon, but you may get more of the frankincense and heliotrope.

"All the glory, warmth and majesty of the sun — darkened. A delicious blend of bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon."

If you don't mind peach blossom, try Tamora.

"Amber, heliotrope, golden sandalwood, peach blossom and vanilla bean."

Here is a list of everything with a vanilla note on the Lab's website. (There are other vanilla notes listed in the directory that you can click on as well, such as bourbon vanilla and vanilla absolute.)

Edited by dementia_divine

Have you tried Tombstone? That's a very spicy Vanilla IMO. Similar to Snake Oil on me but without the patch.

Alas, Tombstone ended up being straight-up cedar on me. ^^;;

liz?

ava?

mouse's sad and long tale?

hesiod's phoenix?

when stars are weeping?

the fragmented alice scent at century guild, who in the world am I is a gorgeous lavender vanillla, as is tko

I'll make a note of TKO and Mouse's Long & Sad Tale, the rest may not be do-able since they're LE's? But I'll look into them, at least.

I second the Tombstone recommendation, but you have to like sassafras in order to enjoy that one. If it's not your thing at first, let it age for a while, and try it again, as the vanilla comes out more with age. Tombstone has my favorite vanilla note. It may be too foody for you, though (as it's kind of like a creamy root beer float with some cedar).

annemathematics listed some really good recommendations. Definitely try Ava -- if you don't like it, it won't be difficult to rehome. Sadly, I didn't get much vanilla from Who in the World Am I, but it definitely fits the 'floriental' description. Everyone should try TKO!

If you haven't already, try Dorian!

Eclipse might end up being too gourmand for you, but you could give it a try and see what notes your skin chooses to bring out the most. On me, it's mostly almond, vanilla, and cinnamon, but you may get more of the frankincense and heliotrope.

"All the glory, warmth and majesty of the sun — darkened. A delicious blend of bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon."

If you don't mind peach blossom, try Tamora.

"Amber, heliotrope, golden sandalwood, peach blossom and vanilla bean."

Here is a list of everything with a vanilla note on the Lab's website. (There are other vanilla notes listed in the directory that you can click on as well, such as bourbon vanilla and vanilla absolute.)

I'll try Eclipse, and Dorian did always look interesting. Tamora went straight-up peach cobbler for me. ^^;;

Thanks for the help! :biggrin:

Edited by lavenderfrost

I received a generous frimp of Silver Haired Bat. Though vanilla is not listed, I just want to say this is a beautiful vanilla scent to my nose! I guess its the benzoin that my nose is interpreting as vanilla. I love this stuff!

you might love Lady Death: Savage, or Ava

Some of the Laces from Dark Delicacies have a lovely vanilla musk base to them. I especially like Tattered Lace & Black Lace, and I get a bit from Beautiful Death, too. They're a bit hard to come by but do turn up for Sale occasionally.

Revenant Rhythm is a great vanilla scent! I wore the hair gloss and bath oil yesterday, and it's like a complex, caramelized vanilla on me. Hopefully the Lab will release the perfume oil soon. :D

Lately I have been really loving woodsy or patchouli vanilla blends. Some favorites are yucca yucca giant skipper, fulvous snow, NAVA egpytian sandalwood and possests silver sandalwood. Any recommendations for BPALs? I tried BPTPs RR and it's perfect and can't wait til the lab version releases. A lady tall and white did not work at all. No vanilla on me. Thanks!

Lately I have been really loving woodsy or patchouli vanilla blends. Some favorites are yucca yucca giant skipper, fulvous snow, NAVA egpytian sandalwood and possests silver sandalwood. Any recommendations for BPALs? I tried BPTPs RR and it's perfect and can't wait til the lab version releases. A lady tall and white did not work at all. No vanilla on me. Thanks!

RR is amazing! Did some strangeness in the proportion work for you? on me, it was a sandalwood vanilla with a twist.

I'm loving the vanilla in Aristocratic Couple. It's not foody, to me it smells quite elegant. And it comes across as sugary, rather than creamy, if that makes any sense...

I ended up getting a second bottle :wink:

Have you tried Golden Priapus, Hesiod's Phoenix and Mars Ultor?

ETA: I want to say Antikythera Mechanism (Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco.) but that one went straight up teak on me and the imp I've had for over a year is just starting to settle into other notes. But maybe you'll have better luck?

Edited by Anaire

Golden Priapus is nice but much too pine-y for me. I had and swapped away Hesiod's Phoenix and am kicking myself now. My tastes have developed so much since those days :( Antikythera Mechanism was all smoke on me, not in a pleasant way. I may have to look for a decant of Mars Ultor. Thanks!

Tombstone?

Old Scratch?

Belle Epoque?

Golden Priapus is nice but much too pine-y for me. I had and swapped away Hesiod's Phoenix and am kicking myself now. My tastes have developed so much since those days :( Antikythera Mechanism was all smoke on me, not in a pleasant way. I may have to look for a decant of Mars Ultor. Thanks!

It's hard to beat Hesiod's Phoenix. It's simply one of the best I've smelled (and one of my first bottles I blind bottled).

That said, I'm looking for the same as you and am hoping to see what others suggest!.

ETA: Have you tried Arana (Vanilla-infused agarwood, oak bark, and Laotian benzoin.)? It's a LE but you might be able to pick it up...

Edited by Anaire

Arana sounds amazing. I've never even heard of it. I'll have to put out an ISO.

I hope you like it. My DH tells me it's a evening scent (being somewhat heavier on the woods on me) but it incredibly gorgeous and I cherish my bottle of it.

Now I just have to get my paws on RR perfume and Tombstone.... Because one must have a variety of vanillas to choose from, right?

If I think of any other woodsy/spicy Vanillas I'll chime in. :)