Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
drinbanana

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?

Have you tried Spellbound? It's really beautiful. Doesn't say vanilla, but the amber gives a similar feel, at least to me. The description is: "Perfectly enchanting! An irresistibly sexual, utterly rapturous blend of three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk."

Persephone is on order.

Spellbound & Alice were....well, not so good.

I'd like to try Belle Epoque, New Orleans & Le Serpent Qui Danse, although violet does very, very wonky things on me.

I just found an Imp of "O", so I'll give that a "go".

You may like Love Me which is jasmine and cinnamon, on me at least!

Have you tried The Caterpillar? It's very jasmine-y with bergamot and insense on me.

I would definately go for Eve, it's gorgeous.

You may like Love Me which is jasmine and cinnamon, on me at least!

Mmmm, just what I was going to suggest! Love Me smells very vanilla-y on me, and is really, really good layered with single note vanilla.

I have noticed a pattern in the perfumes I absolutely adore: vanilla & florals...especially Jasmine or Rose.

The BPAL selection is limited in these combos. I love Siren but it's more of a warm weather perfume. Mata Hari didn't work at all for me, the coffee became prominent. Desire was "ok" but not "special", if you know what I mean. Golden P, I haven't tried because it's rosewood, not rose.

As far as non-BPAL fragrances I love Burberry's London, J'dore (no vanilla listed but it turns vanillish on me), Jean Louie Scherrer 2 and DSH Antique Rose.

Scherrer 2 was my signature fragrance for many years. Unfortunately, it's too closely associated with an old flame of mine. Since it's not as familiar as the other one's, here's the notes to give you some ideas.

SCHERRER 2

By JEAN LOUIS SCHERRER

YEAR INTRODUCED - 1950

FRAGRANCE NOTES - Bergamot, pineapple, anise, jasmine, tuberose, honey, vanilla, sandal, heliotrope, benzoin.

I'd really like to use just BPAL, any blend suggestions?

since you have tried mata hari and desire and those haven't worked, i would recommend some layering to get the perfect rose and vanilla or jasmine and vanilla combo :D

i would pick a creamy vanilla-ish base like snake oil or o and then layer with one of beth's amazing rose blends like rose red :P or whip. both are so dreamy even on their own and you will love them.

for jasmine, and i am a jasmine fan myself, layer over the snake oil or o with new orleans or oneiroi or black dahlia.

some other good jasminey ones are- nyx, queen mab, wicked, twilight and the first 3 have rose too!

i always layer with my bpal blends- its fun to play around :D

eta- spelling boo-boos

Edited by lavinia

Thank you all!

Love Me is divine! "O" & "Love Me" are orgasmic together! Regan is very nice but didn't last very long, or my "sniffer" is blinky.

Rose Red, Whip, Persephone are all on order already. I'll see if I can find Nyx, Twilight & Wicked on the swaps board or if not, I'll get some of the combos you all suggested as Imps.

I put up a "Wanted" post in Swaps & included some stuff for my fella.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Man....I gotta get me a big bottle of Love Me & O!

Edited by Red_Hot_Mama

Hello there BPALers.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on what BPAL oils have pronounced spicy vanilla-type notes?

Thanks!

I just received my oils today:

Blood Kiss

Jack

Sherezade

Blood Countess

Dracul

Silk Road

I nearly dropped dead when I experienced Dracul because it is was unlike anything I was expecting. It is incredible!

My two favorites of the remaining are Blood Countess and Silk Road. They smell wonderful on me. While I like Sherazade, it literally smells like I've rubbed an incense cone on me - which is not bad, but it is 'smokier' than I would have liked. It really takes you away.

I am on the hunt for the perfect Vanilla.

About five years ago there was a woman who had a website - Samrah's Spicebox, and she had an oil called 'Caliph'.

It was the best vanilla based oil I have ever come across because it wasn't weak nor light, but a spicy, gutsy vanilla with cloves, cinnamon and something else that made it very dark and commanding. I want to say tobacco, but I can't be sure'.

It evoked visions of a veiled woman baking spiced vanilla cakes in the Caliph's tent while coffee was being brewed and pipes filled with aromatic tobacco were being smoked. It would be what she smelled like if she leaned close to you to serve you some of her cakes and you could smell the sweetness of them and the residue of tobacco and coffee on her clothes.

God, I hope I'm making sense, but I can't describe it as well as I can see it *chuckles*

It would be a 'foody' fragrance (spiced vanilla cakes being the dominant aroma) with the richness of an old world 'Arabian Nights' style tobacco and good strong coffee.

I was married in that fragrance 11 years ago, and having moved since then, I lost the contact information for Samrah and her website has been long gone.

If someone can point me in the right direction on this site as to which oil might come close, I would be grateful until the end of time because it seems that I've been searching for a replacement for just as long.

I will close with saying that I am thrilled that I found a site like this where the creators literally create fragrances of unsurpassed quality, and I will be here (and broke) for a long time :P

Thanks to you all in advance for your help.

Yup, pickman is right--snake oil is the vanilla you describe.

But you should also try "O", an amber honey vanilla, very sexy, and Dorian, a tea/lemon/musky vanilla, simply gorgeous.

I think those three are the most popular BPAL vanillas.

But I also ADORE Tombstone. Its a very woodsy vanilla, and definitely more masculine but I think it works on either sex.

To me, there's no vanilla in Snake Oil, so your taste may vary. My near-pure BPAL vanilla is Tombstone.

Another vote for Snake Oil. It's dead sexy on me.

And Tombstone as well, which I like even more. It's sweet, sexy and warm -- not particularly spicy, but it's amazingly beautiful on me. My skin adores vanilla, and always amps it up gorgeously.

Golden Priapus.

The combination of amber and vanilla bake it extra-sweet, rich and resiny, and the woods give it a wonderful depth. It doesn't have outright spice, but the amber kicks it up a notch.

And I think it would probably be awesome layered with Morocco.

:P

As soon as my Morocco comes in I will be testing that theory.

Another vote for Snake Oil. It's gutsy and spicey and YUM. Warning, though, when it's fresh, I get a slight sweet almond note from it. When it's aged a month or so, the almond fades and you're left with a sweetly nutty base for the Vanilla to really sing. It's fargin' gorgeous.

Give Hunger a try: vanilla, black narcissus, and orange. The orange and vanilla make it smell edible, while the black narcissus gives it a dark edge and keeps the vanilla and orange from becoming cloyingly sweet.

Oh...I love dorian and snake! I guess snake oil would be perfect for its sweetness & spiciness.

P.S.

Now I'm sniffing "Arabian night" which I bought in Egypt, I could say it smells like a light vanilla from Regan plus soft oriental exotic feeling from Morroco.

Edited by laputa

My vanilla scents are Antique Lace, Dorian, and Morocco. Haven't tried Snake Oil yet, but I should. :P