Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

An ancient blend, swollen with arcane power: galangal, high john essence, frankincense, cedar, and sandalwood.

I tried Magus yesterday and had a strange reaction to it.

When I smelled it on the bottle and when first on my skin, it smelled overwhelmingly nutty. When I sniffed it I got a bitter taste in my mouth as well, which was very unpleasant. Under the nutty smell I could smell the sandalwood, cedar, and frankincense and they smelled very nice, though slightly masculine. It faded pretty quickly on me as well.

I am blaming the reaction on high john essence or galangal as I have never encountered them before. I was disappointed because this one sounded lovely, but it will be moving on to new ownership in my next round of trades and hopefully not inflicting it's nuttiness on anyone else!

In bottle: I can smell the frankincense and sandalwood...a nice combo in the bottle, but I have a feeling about how this will go on my skin.

Wet: I like the sandalwood mixed with the sweetness of the frankincense. Better enjoy it now because...

Dry:...frankincense always turns into baby powder on my skin and sandalwood always smells pretty sweet once it dries on me. The combo of the two on the dry-down is overpowering. Luckily my best friend likes it a whole bunch.

Origins - Imp received in a swap.

Wet - I am not sure what galangal smells like, but I am getting high john essence, or at least something I smell in High John the Conqueror, and cedar.

Dry - Cedar. I think this confirms that my chemistry overamps cedar, because just as with Cathedral and Kathmandu, it is overwhelming everything else. Two hours in the cedar has mellowed and has finally allowed the frankincense and sandalwood through. On me, this is very similiar to Cathedral, although the cedar mellows out much sooner.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best, this rates a 3.

Soft and unisex.

Starts with cedar, sandalwood and something more.

It's very light indeed, I have to try it on my boyfriend. :P

In the bottle: Smells like a fainter version of Masabakes

First on: Maybe I need to stop trying different scents at the same time in different places. This one is lost on me. I can smell a bit of frankincense, and a hint of cedar, with something earthy over it. Probably the High John root.

Drydown: While the scent has gotten very lovely, and I really like it, it's gone all soapy underneath it. :P

Cedar, sandalwood, and something sharp and green and almost sweet. It really does smell like some scene in Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell--magik-y and such--but nothing I'd wear as a regular perfume.

The cedar, frankincense and sandalwood are predominant for me, both in the vial and on my skin. I enjoyed it for the hour it lasted, but it faded quite quickly after that. Quite a majestic blend, aloof and refined.

All cedar/sandalwood at first, with the same notes that didn't work for me with Kathmandu. Rounds and mellows after awhile, but is still eau de hippie-esque. Dries to a dry, sawdusty herbal--very pretty, if a tad masculine. Drydown's definitely my favorite phase on this one.

First sniff: Dry woods and herbs. Magus is a confident scent, but somewhat withdrawn.

Wearing: The scent on my wrists is almost all cedar, but the aura is a gorgeous blend of woods and herbs.

Bottle (Imp): This is kind of like sweet herbs with a little bit of kick.

Just On: The sweet kind of goes away, and it's taken over by herbs and maybe wood.

An hour or two later: It's almost totally gone, but I'm thinking just a hint of something woodsy. A little bit of powder as well.

Around 6 hours: Well, I can't really smell this any more.

12 hours: No more at all.

Overall: This was pretty nice, but faded way too quickly for me.

After reading other reviews: Okay, so the cedar and sandalwood provide the woodsiness, and the rest of the herbs are the herby part. Kinda of a duh thing. Of course, since I made my list in order of pretty much every scent over two months ago, and do not read the descriptions OR the reviews beforehand... I never know what I'm getting. Apparently this fades on others as well, so it's not unusual in that respect on me.

In the imp: dark, spicy amber and a little hint of musk.

On the skin: The amber predominates on my skin at first-- the wet scent is so warm and golden it almost smells like food. It's lovely.

Dry: the warm sandalwood begins to shine through. This is the kind of wood scent I love: rich, but not cloying.

The scent becomes increasingly a straight ahead sandalwood scent as it dries. Hmm, somehow I never smelled any floral notes in it, wet or dry. I don't know that I would term it masculine, though. I think it's a strong and clear scent for anyone.

Resinous, woody, earthy. And at first I could swear there was a burst of musk, and I feared disaster, but it quickly faded. This is what I had hoped Hexennacht would be. There's something pine-like-but-not, not as sharp, and richer. Frankincense perhaps? After half an hour or so the cedar comes out a bit more, but not for long. The three main smells seem to change dominance every few minutes, but they never overwhelm. They blend nicely. It is definitely rather masculine, but I like it. Very forest, a thick wood with many evergreens, dark but not threatening.

Edited by Cagedflame

In the vial: Sweet, resiny and incensey

Wet, on my skin: Death match between cedar and sandalwood! With incense in the background. Also a wisp of something herbal and green. Perhaps the galangal? (I have no idea what that smells like!)

On drydown: Cedar and sandalwood remain the predominant notes, but they have settled down. I like Magus very much once it has dried down for at least 1/2 an hour. It's a very dominant, commanding scent. Unfortunately, after about 3 hours it has pretty much disappeared.

BOTTLE: Stuffy, like a study that hasn't been aired out in awhile.

WET: Incense and something else, slightly fruity.

DRYDOWN: This is a great scent to wear to work ... it's a calming combination of incense and wood, very grounding.

On a scale of 1-5, a solid 4.

REVISITED AND RE-REVIEWED MAY 2013:

Bought another imp of this in a recent haul because apparently I have never met a frankincense and cedar blend I didn't like.

IN THE IMP: Pure cedar and frankincense.

Dabbed pretty generously on my wrist and in the crook of my arm. I've been on the DL, haven't eaten solid food in 10 days, and I could use some good grounding.

WET: As expected/hoped, this is another blend in the family of Cathedral, Penitence, etc. which is just divine, no pun intended. There is something once on my skin that is ever-so-slightly different than the blends that are strictly "church" blends, though ... something slightly pungent, a bit fruity. Am guessing it's either the galangel or High John since I'm not sure what either of those are. It makes the blend more complex but no less delicious.

DRYDOWN: There is a slightly burnt scent on the drydown, as if the incense had been lit and just blown out.

OVERALL: All in all. this is another wonderful complex resiny-goodness scent that is just my style. Can't have enough of them and I thank Beth again for being such a master of them!

On a scale of 1-5, a 4.8

Edited by JazzieCazzie

Very very heavy on the cedar and sandalwood. A woodsy, incensey scent, that makes me really think more of a room fragrance. It would be lovely on a guy who enjoys woodsy scents, but not so good on me!

Bottle: Very nice, stone earthy pine scent. Subtle, yet strong.

Worn: The stony scent dominates a great deal here. Smells like rocky wet earth. Again, it's subtle but it's the sort of scent that stays with you.

I liked this one a lot. Then again, I'm a sucker for Earth scents. :P Not sure if I'd get a bigger bottle, but imps would do just fine. 7/10.

in the bottle: woodsy, herbal and dark.

wet on skin: cedar is pretty prominent in this. As well as sandalwood. I've been utterly twisted over sandalwood as of late, so I'm automatically predisposed towards this.

dry: (and this is for all the other Harry Potter geeks out there) This is the inside of Snape's potion component cabinet. The end.

Oddly enough, Magus smelled like a lighter, more golden version of Cathedral. The resin (frankinscence?) scent was almost identical to my nose.

Upon application, Magus is woodsy--sandalwood with cedar. There's a bit of kick, some spices, which I'm thinking is the frankincense and galangal (a Google indicates that it's a ginger-like spice native to Java and China). However, a little while after, I keep on thinking that there's something a bit minty/eucalyptus-y to it, a bit of that cool smoothness to it that keeps it from being purely woodsy. I'm not sure where I'm getting this from....

It recedes into the skin nicely (some scents just get weird in that stage), but it's still not for me. Woodsy scents and I don't get along.

Edited by malanna

This is far lighter and more understated than I would have thought given the description.

It's mostly just cedar and sandalwood on me - the other notes just seem to smooth out and fill in the blend a touch without having any real presence of their own.

Magus is just kind of flat and without distinction on me - sort of like what happened with Sri Lanka for me as well.

The lab has so many other wonderful incense blends that I'm actually sort of relieved not to have to add another one to my list!

In the vial: cedar and sandalwood

Wet: on initial application the cedar rises and sharpens, and then gradually the sandalwood and spices rise up to balance the scent. It's cool and fresh and woody and I like it a great deal.

Drydown: oddly enough this becomes a very clean, astringent floral backed by woods on me. It reminds me of wildflowers in a forest glade after a cold rain. I think I'm going to be ordering a larger bottle of this one.

To sum it all up neatly OMFG!

This has immediately become my favorite man scent. I have said that before, I know, but I REALLY mean it this time. This is caged sexuality driven mad with passion and unleashed after centuries of restless fitful sleep. It is the reincarnation of the Merlin for Christ's sake. Speaking of Christ it is the second coming of that player too.

In The Bottle: Mmmm woodsy goodness. Smells like saw dust in a manly wood shop. I imagined my Dad (Step Dad) when I smelled this because it immediately reminded me of the smell of cut wood. I remembered a specific time my Dad and I were working on this one really big property in Torrey Pines, CA and he was cutting trees and we got a long so well that day it immediately imprinted in my mind. Oh what great memories you have conjured of mighty Magus.

Wet On Skin: Oh... my... Gods this is tasty. I hope it dries down well. The frankinscence gets amplified by my skin, body heat makes it tastier. Oh that is what Galangal smells like. Mmmm delicious. Isn't this luscious?

Drydown: This settles it's chaotic turmoil as it melds into a powerful concoction. The infusion is absolutely perfect. It makes me feel like Jafar from Alladin after his second wish is granted "Most pwerful Sorcery in the world". I am the Merlin, I am Rasitlin Majere I am a God!

If this scent ever gets discontinued my wrath will bathe the world in the blood of my despair. Rivers will run dry and crops will wither. I will lay my rage across every back til they are all broken. I will fill all people's lungs with the stench of decay and death. Maybe that's a little extreme, maybe a nasty letter would suffice or I'd at least shake a finger or something.

Verdict: Must have!! Beth this needs to be the first scent bottled in 20 mL. Why stop there I would take a whole truck load of this stuff. Can you ship mea keg of it?

On me, Magus is like a softer, dryer, simple version of Cathedral. It starts off smelling strongly of spicy cedar and smooth frankincense. It's very dry, sweet, and woodsy. More of the sandalwood comes out after a few minutes and it takes on a dry, powdery sort of smell. An hour later I thought that I smelled something like pencil shavings (but somehow better), then realized that it was Magus. This is definitely a very woodsy blend on me, perhaps even too woodsy for me to wear on a regular basis. I'll keep my imp and think about getting a bottle.

ETA: I am loving Magus's soft woodsiness lately. It is overwhelmingly WOODS on me on its own, but I love it layered with other blends. I keep layering it with other things and it's just wonderful for adding a touch of woods to other scents. Midnight Mass + Magus + Obatala is one of my favorite blends lately :P

Edited by Tania

I love the connotations of ancient power that the name Magus carries and I think this scent lived up to its name.

Despite it being a more masculine scent, I knew it wouldn't be to my husband's tastes, so I tried it on myself. The first note that hit me was cedar. Strong cedar. As it developed, some sandalwood came through too and it became a lovely foresty blend. Magus was definitely live wood rather than cut down and processed lumber.

About two hours in, what I can only describe as a floral note came out and mingled with the trees, reinforcing the feeling of this being a scent teeming with life. It remained woody enough to be masculine even though this phase.

I won't be keeping Magus just because it didn't seem to suit me personally, but I did find it quite powerful.

In the imp: Sandalwood.

Wet: More sandalwood. Sandalwood, along with myrrh and jasmine, amps up on my skin. This is smelling a lot like Nerfertiti did on me.

Drydown and wear: Wow, this scent changes! The sandalwood goes down, and there are these smoky, almost spicy herbs that emerge. Very exciting--this is what I wish Djinn had smelled like. There's a real warmth and complexity here that I was not expecting. This scent had been towards the bottom of "scents I want" on my wish-list, but I'm so glad that I tried it out. It's a real pleasant surprise.

ETA: I fear that my initial impression of this scent may have been influenced by the fact that I tried Djinn on before. When I wore the scent the next day, it smelled like pure sandalwood. I will have to try layering again.

Edited by The_Merf