Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
septima_pica

I want to smell like dirt! Dirt, Earth, Soil recommendations

So I'm a very new BPAL addict. I've only taken home imps of a few oils (fourteen, to be exact), and by the time I was done sniffing at the Lab last month my olfactory bulbs were sufficiently exhausted that I'd given up trying to keep track of the ones I sniffed there.

One of those I took home, and one of which I expect I'm going to need a 5ml bottle, is Nosferatu. This is mostly because of the dirt note. It's a gorgeous smell, which I think would be equally awesome in a lot of different combinations.

So my question is this: could some of the more experienced sniffers suggest other oils in which the dirt note is prominent?

Thanks so much!

It'll be hard to find, but Graveyard Dirt is exactly, precisely that - dirt! Otherwise, Zombi, which is rose and dirt - in fact, it's like you've been gardening while wearing rose perfume...fantastic stuff. I know there's another one out there that's dirty, but I can't recall the name of it...

Oro

Graveyard Dirt = Dirty Dirt. It was a LE from last year, so kind of hard to get.

Zombi: Rosey Dirt

Alone (available until Friday): Spicy Dirt. Cardamom & Patchouli and dirt. This is one of my favorites.

Penny Dreadful: Gingery Dirt. I didn't like this one as much, but I think the ginger was off on me.

Burial: Piney Dirt.

The only dirt scent I've tried was Jazz Funeral, and I thought it was spectacular! Most amazing dirt smell to me. With some rooty plantlife thrown in for good measure--i didn't get much booze. It was lovely!

Oooh try Zombi! It's lovely. I heart it.

Nosferatu is nice too. They are similar but Zombi has rose and Nosferatu has wine. Both are really yummy if you like dirt. :P

I agree with Graveyard Dirt and Zombie for just plain dirt. Also,give Nocnista a try!

Nocnista:lightless fir wood, nighttime air, wet forest mosses and upturned earth.

I thought it smelled very wet, damp foresty dirt

Zombi smelled like beets to me, which smell like....dirt! and I agree about Jazz Funeral.

also Ace of pentacles (though I know that one's hard to get as an imp to try), and didn't either King or Queen of Clubs have a dirt note? I'm not sure which, but I remember swapping them away because of it (I don't like the dirt notes myself).

Sounded like Gnome might have it too from the reviews.

yeah, queen of clubs had that sweet dirty smell going on....

gnome (to me) smells nothing at all like dirt...just pure green goodness......

:P

Wow, that was quick! Thank you all so much!

Nosferatu is among my three favourites already. Shall definitely try Jazz Funeral, Zombi, Nocnitsa and (if I can find it) Alone. Crossroads sounds interesting as well. I tried Burial, though, and although it was nice I didn't get any dirt smell from it.

Again, thanks very much for the help!

I have an imp of Graveyard Dirt and as everyone else said, it's exactly what you're looking for - good clean potting soil. However! As Graveyard Dirt is soo difficult to come by I thought I'd recommend another brand - FeMaledictions has a scent called Dirtnap that to me smells exactly like Graveyard Dirt. Happy gardening scent! :P

To me Sheol smells like a bottle of cola poured over dirt, and dries down into rose petals and dirt.

In general, look for scents with strong patchoulli or vetiver notes.

king of clubs is another good dirt scent. it's not the starring note but like the queen of clubs, has a strong dirt/earth/loam element. it's a LE but there may be some floating around out there.

and the brief sniff I gave Jezirat Al Tennyn also reminded me strongly of dirt. I haven't tried it yet, so I can't say what it does once it hits the skin.

bpal has some great dirt scents.

Undertow had kind of a dirt note on me after the drydown -- but a really fascinating, piney, minty, seawatery-dirt. Like dirt in a shard of glacier.

Depraved: wet clumps of rich loamy dirt.

Death Cap: warm dry crumbly dirt.

Ace of Pentacles: the essence of earth.

(Edited to add the ace!)

Edited by Ceej

And none of you have mentioned what I think the BEST dirtscent ever:

The Premature Burial! I'm totally blown away by it: heavy on the earth but with a nice touch of flowers... Too bad it's an LE and hard to find.

Graveyard Dirt smelled perfect in the bottle, but sank right into my skin leaving nothing.

I'm so shocked nobody's said anything about Destroying Angel - it's my favorite dirt note thus far! It's moist, cool earth - rained-on earth. Fantastic stuff.