Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

What a great freakin’ word. BPAL LOVES TEH SMUT! Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

Wow! This is the only scent I've tried (in almost a year of being a BPAL addict) that changes so dramatically from bottle to skin.

But I'm jumping ahead of myself, I do that. :P

In the bottle, this is all sweet booze. It smells exactly like this great white liquer that my Scottish grandmother used to add to my tea while I was in high school (lets not ask why she was trying to get her teenaged grand-daughter loaded, shall we?). But, yes. Sweet, boozy. Maybe a little fruity, I'm not sure. But it's gorgeous.

Seconds after hitting my skin, it's changed - musky, heavy and absolutely gorgeous. There's something almost woodsy about it, I'm not quite sure, though. Just something ... green, as an under-note.

I am terrible when it comes to picking individual notes. But so far (about 15 minutes) it's stayed this gorgeous, warm, sweet musky scent. It's perfect, and brilliantly done. And I definatley need more. And also, Beth gets full points for this - to be honest, I ordered it for the name alone (come on, who doesn't bring up the fact that they have perfumes called Smut, Lick It or Miskatonic University in casual conversation?) and tried it on a whim and I'm so glad that I did.

Mmm. By the way, in the 20 minutes since I typed this and went to make tea (sadly lacking Gram's liquer) it's changed to a deeper, sweeter musk. Its got the tiniest hint of a cocoa note to it now, too. :D Edited by Shollin

I wish I got any sugar from Smut. :D I was expecting it to be aggressive in the bottle, because Beth said it was, but from the early reviews I figured it would be rather like Snake Charmer, on, which works on me in wonderful, not work-safe ways. :P

Smut, on the other hand, goes on strongly and objectionably musky and just gets more sour and bitter by the minute. I have tried it twice, now, and it’s like myrrh and saffron plus something almost civety on me. We’re talking serious ‘ewwww’ here. There’s the faintest suggestion of something sugary buried under muck.

I wish I knew which musk is the culprit, so I can avoid it in the future. Many blends with musk in them are fine on me – and Snake oil and Snake Charmer are genuinely terrific, for which I am deeply grateful, because my bottle of Smut is going to find a home with someone who gets all that good sweet and deep yum from it I keep hearing about. And the other bottle I have coming in my January 30 order will have to make other accommodations, as well.

smut.jpg

I wanted to love Smut, if only for the name. It was ballsy and a fine concept. It is very Red Musk to me and dries down to a pretty blend of spices on my skin, but I detect acacia here and the Red Musk overpowered all of the other ingredients unless I put my nose directly on my skin to pick up the spice melange after it was dry. I also got a surprising backlash of Cashmere Bouquet which was just my interpretation of the scent combination, but I could not shake it. Too much association for me.

I may not be a fan of Smut, but please note this is only personal taste speaking. If you love love love Red Musk (you are a big fan of Vixen, for instance) and you thought that the acacia in Red Phoenix made it specially lovely on you...then run to the swaps section and pick up Smut, because it is your blend for sure.

Good Lord this smells awful on me. It's ALL musk and it's completely unpleasant at first. Like you walked into a stripclub/burlesque house and learned that they run a fine child-labor based sweater emporium out of the basement, because the scent wraps around you like a super-soft, made of possibly-illegal-materials sweater.

Then it fades to the scent I imagine said fuzzy sweater (soaked in sex musk and faint traces of smoke) would leave on your skin.

Thankfully, I know someone who likes smelling like she just got laid, so I'll give it to her.

:P I really wanted this one to work on me, but it's just too loud.

ETA: it also has extreme staying power. why do the ones i don't like always last so freakin long?

Edited by faifai

Ack! Peanut butter and angry musk. It's ninja peanut butter! As time passes, the peanut butter tones down a wee bit and lets the sugar come out. But it's all too little, too late for me. On my skin, that is. This stuff is super thick, and some got on my sweatshirt, and it smells lovely and sugary. Wonky skin chemistry, I smite thee! :P

Wow - I got my bottle today! This is one of my most favourite scents ever! I have lots of BPAL scents I like & can wear but very few that I love. The only oil that comes close to this for me is Snake Charmer, I love it that much!

On me it's all sweet incense, kinda like a wiccan supplies shop but sweeter, honeyed with a tiny bit of chocolate, soooo I guess that makes an unforgettable night in the bedroom, Silk sheets, warm candlelight, sweet incense, a jar of honey & body chocolate & the sexiest hunkiest bloke you've ever seen (Phew! I'm getting hot just thinking about it!)

I absolutely adore this scent :P

In the bottle:

Oh gawd, musk. How I love thee *rolls around in it*

On me:

Okay, so my expectations for this scent was a bit high. It has three musks. THREE. And I love musk. Musk just WORKS on me. It works *gloriously* on me. Plus, it's called Smut. So I was in love right away when I saw Smut listed in the Lupercalia update.

Was I disappointed? Not in the LEAST.

This is amazing. It's a gorgeous, sweet musky scent. I don't really get the booze out of this, but I definitely get the sugar with the musk. It has a sweet aura, but not in a candy way. Though I do have to say that my Mom first said to me when I walked by her wearing this, "You smell like a candy bar!". And I think that's due to the sugar note in this and also that there seems to be a slight *peanut* smell underneath this. It's not a strong note, in fact, I don't even smell it unless I put my nose up to it. But it's a note that I recently encountered in another scent I reviewed just a couple days ago - Sed Non Satiata. Which is a very similar scent to Smut in vibe. I figure that peanut smell is either the "cognac" note which could be present here in Smut as the "booze", or it's one of the musks.

I don't consider it a bad thing though, without sniffing my skin directly, this just comes off as womanly and sexy and a little sweet. It's definitely reminiscent of the word "Smut" lol.

Final note:

A truly wonderful musk scent, so sexy!

ETA: Feb. 24th, 2006 - It seems like the first time I tried it, I was just lucky with the peanut thing only being slight. The few times I've worn Smut since then it has been full blown PEANUT BUTTER! It's musky and peanuty in a wierd way that makes me think of people having sex with peanut butter involved... @_@ Alas, I wanted to love this. :P

Edited by Brianne

Oh, look at the color of this in the imp (I got a decant)...it's that unbelievably dark blood color of red musk. I love red musk.

When I apply it, it is red musk and a deeper, darker musk -- and cheese. What? Yes, cheese. It smells a bit like cheese, or b.o., in addition to the lovely musk.

I don't specifically smell anything boozy but there is a sourness that makes me think of sweat, which could be a booze note or it could be the skin musk that I actually liked in a couple of other scents. No sugars really stand out to me, though the musk is slightly sweet......barely detectable because of the bitter cheesy smell and tangy sweat.

Um, so although I love red musk and most of the lab's musks in general, this kind of smells like the day after a wild night between the sheets...the "Oh god, we should have taken a bath instead of just falling asleep" smell. It's just like that at first though -- the sour scents are absorbed by the warm musk and it dries down a lot more like Lust, all things told. On the drydown I do get a hint of what I think has been described as "peanut butter" but it's rather dry and not terribly sweet.

I think I'm OK with Lust and Scherezade for my red musk fix. I feel like while this might dry down nicely on me it would still make me smell a little...unwashed. And that's the kind of thing I try to avoid. :P

When I opened my bottle of Smut and took my first wiff, I thought to myself, "is there fruit in here?" It smelled like some kind of red fruit syrup in a boozy blend... interesting.

I have to pause here to say that I am so glad I read thru the other reviews of this so I don't feel embarassed by what the scent smells to me when first applied....

Wet, this is not the sweet smell of "just finished making love." Smut is pure unadulterated ... well, smut The scent I get evokes an image of a closed- in hot room the morning after an all nighter - open booze bottles, 1/2 smoked cigarettes, left over cherry flavored personal lubricant and the acrid smell of BO and left over bodily fluids... I felt like a walking sex hangover just wearing this and had a hard time not wanting to wash it off.

After about 5 minutes, this started morphing, (thank God!) and the "fruity" smell faded along with the acrid BO/dried bodily fluids. In it's place, a sweet, sugary beautiful musk came out and it just kept getting richer, sweeter and better with every minute!

The complete dry down of Smut is a light, red version of Snake Oil to me.This isn't overpowering in the slightest, but light, sweet and absolutely beautiful! I suggest to wear this at least a half hour or more before you make up your mind about this. It is gorgeous, and I am definitely all for making this a catalogue scent!

This one really is quite a morpher.

In the bottle: Very sharp alcohol and musk.

Wearing: The same at first - for a good 30 minutes I'd say.

Then it evolves into something that does indeed evoke a cross between Snake Oil (which I still adore to this day) and Snake Charmer (which I did not adore). Feeling kind of "eh" about it at this point.

After about an hour there is a brief window where I could only describe it as a lightly sugared musk and I quite like it! If it stayed that way the whole time it would be something I'd be hunting down like mad.

But that moment is over quickly and then the red musk element really takes over and the final drydown is nearly identical to Lust on me. Which I never really liked much.

Edited by wolfie13

well, this one really is a morpher.

in the bottle, teh Smut was soft and pretty -- lightly sweet with the slightest hint of cognac in the background.

i put it on and WHAM! it got WEIRD and LOUD. it was sweaty! then it was drunk and slightly nauseus! then it was all sugary! then kind of spicy -- no, sweaty again....

and then 15 minutes in it just settled right down. it became this soft skin scent. as i wear it shifts around from amped skin musk, to cognac, to a touch of sweetness on a plate, and then back to skin.

it is extremely reminiscent of Sed Non Satiata to me, but way less spicy. SNS to me is like fucking, this is seduction. on me its sexual, and yet... innocent at the same time. sex before sin. sensual with knowing, but... open hearted. not cruel -- but not vanilla either. SNS has a cruel edge to it that i find hot -- this is more loving, while still being hot and delicious.

i LOVE it. and i cannot believe that it works even on my whacked out skin chemistry! i usually turn everythign to baby powder, but not this.

those who couldn't wear Devil's Night, rejoyce! your time has come!

ETA: i put this on at about 8 p.m. last night, and could still smell it against my skin at 10 a.m. this morning. this is a scent that lasts.

ETA2: WARNING! WARNING!

i wore Smut outside the house for the first time on Saturday night. i went to party. it was supposed to be a regular party, maybe some smooching was going to happen.

it turned into a 100% Sex Party.

not that i minded. :P but i think i won't be wearing Smut to the office! :D

n.

Edited by zenvodunista

Okay. This is a MAJOR changer. I just want to say that first off. Haha In the imp this is all musky patchouli and YUM.

When it's wet, it's the same, but then it suddenly CHANGES. And it turns.. gross. I don't know what it is. It happened when I tested it before when my package got here and it happened again when I put it on to wear just now.

God. I got so paranoid before when it got gross because... SMUT! NEEDS! TO BE! WEARABLE! Because, hello?? SMUT. Plus, musk & patchouli is usually WIN on me.

I'm thinking the GROSS bit might be the boozy note, but I'm not sure. I don't care all that much, because it doesn't last long. :P I'm recognizing it as the 'peanut butter' note some people have mentioned lol

Either way. Whatever. Because, when this finally settles, it gets so YUMMY. The musks blend beautifully and the booze settles (thankfully!).

It reminds me of Lust and/or Vixen, I can't remember right now lol So, while this is good, I'm content with just an imp. I'm also curious to see how this ages.

Smut reminds me of the drydown from All Night Long, without the sweet cinnamon top note. I love All Night Long, so I like Smut, but I prefer it with the cinnamon.

I think I'm in love. This just smells fantastic - like a blend of Snake Oil and Perversion and Sed non Satiata, 3 of my favorites.

Boozy at first, and so very, very dark on my skin, but it sweetens and mellows out. It smells like it belongs on me.

*cries* and of course, I decided to not order a big bottle of it, choosing Luperci and Red Lantern instead. I'm just hoping to snag some more, before I use up my imp.

I wave my wrist under his nose. "Guess what it's called!"

"Hmm," he says, taking a deep breath. He coughs, and says, "Cotton candy!"

I am vexed. "It's called Smut!"

He takes another whiff. "No, I know what smut smells like, and that ain't it. That's sweet--it's cotton candy!"

I flounce away with my candy-sweet self, but he calls after me, "Hey, hang on to that one. It really clears me out."

Smut. For when you were hoping to rev 'em up but only succeeded in clearing 'em out.

In the bottle: Musky sweet liquor. Candy-sugar with the sweet liquid alcohol scent. Smells like a shot of something. >3

Wet on skin: Candy apples, cotton candy, thick rich sugary sweet. Is this going to set off my "food" aversion?

Dry on skin: Vanilla-sugar-candy, and here comes the musk. Ooh. The fruity undertone is leaving, yay!

Over time: Rich and musky, with the candy-sweet-liquor scent hovering over the top. The faintly fruity tone remains, just a little; in spite of the candy/fruity notes, it's not pushing the bad buttons. Phew.

Overall: The candy sugary sweetness made me a little wary, but now that it's mellowed into this gorgeous sweet liquory musk, I'm lovin' teh Smut. :D Not an everyday scent, by any means; it's suggestive and aggressive. But mmm, good stuff. 4/5

Husband says :D :P , and it makes me FEEL sexy. Woo!

On first application I loooved Smut! It was totally a 'go-out-and-cause-ruckus' scent. A girls' night out scent. A totally sexy and unruly scent. But all good things must come to an end, and it pulled a Sed Non Satiata on me and turned to sexy peanut butter. Damn. I'm gonna hang onto it and see if it (or me!) changes. Cause it was some HOT stuff at first.

In the bottle, this actually strikes me as kind of grape-ish. Weird. On first application, however, it's super-sweet, like coarse sugar melting behind my teeth. And I mean that in a really good way. :P There's an echo of vanilla to the scent as well, though I can never pin it down long enough to say for certain.

As it dries, it gets earthier, but never loses its heady sweetness. Oddly, I don't get boozy notes from this at all--it's earthy musk and sugar, rolled into one. It's definitely a bold and slinky sort of scent, one that winks at you as it passes by. Brava!

Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

Smut--I want to love you. I love the word. I love Smut itself--smutty photos, smutty stories, smutty movies. But Smut the perfume? I don't know yet.

I expected this to be sharper and more aggressive than it is--sort of, well, smuttier. In the bottle, I get slightly burnt sugar notes, which I enjoy, and the musk underneath. Its also slightly smoky.

On, it smells very much like Rheliwen describes below:

It's very bitter, almost like tobacco...if you cut open a really fresh cigarette and smelled the contents.

I don't know where the tobacco note is coming from, but that's what I get: burnt sugar and tobacco with a subtle undercurrent of musk. Now while it does remind me of some debauchery--lots of drinking and smoking perhaps--its not particularly smutty or sexy to me.

Nor does it remind me of Snake Oil, but I also don't have Snake Oil anymore to compare it to, because at some point I got a hold of bottle of one Beth's experimental blends that is Snake Oil-esque, and I kept that one over the GC blend. That bottle is strong vanilla and pachouli with spice, which is nothing like this. And I love Vixen, another blend that this was compared to, but that is also pachouli.

Which Smut lacks. And I wish it had it, because then I'd really love it, I think.

Eventually this turns powdery musky on me, which is ok, but not spectacular. The musk does turn sweet, almost but not quite vanilla.

Still, I have hopes for the Smut--I'm thinking that it may age nicely, so I'm going to keep it for awhile and see what I think.

eta: ok, I already am starting to like it more. After an hour or so, it turns much richer/spicier, snake oil-esque on me. Still with a note of tobacco.

Edited by cuervosueno

I ordered a bottle despite my reservations about the musk and booze notes. How can you resist a scent with a name like Smut? :D

In the vial: Sweet and boozy.

Wet on me: The sweet boozy note persists. Scent evokes the image of spending the whole night between the sheets behaving in wild abandon. :P

Drydown: The booze note softens (thank goodness!), morphs into a musky vanilla that is both golden and slinky.

20 mins later: Goodness, this is just divine. The scent just keeps morphing between the sweet booze and musky vanilla notes. :D

Verdict: Smut lives up to it's name. I'm glad I got the bottle.

Edited by mandragora

"Give me Smut and nothing but" :D

I have a bottle of Smut on order but am thrilled that my preview decant arrived today, so I can smut it up for Valentine's if I want to. :P The oil itself is super-dark, about the color of my Vamp nail polish. This is a good sign, since what could be vampier than smut??

On me: Ok, I slathered. I have been thoroughly...smat? (what is the verb form of smut?). The sweet booze notes emerge first but swiftly vanish, and Smut is all musky-musky musk-musk. Musk. Did I mention...musk? It's hard to describe, but if you've ever experienced the particular tangy quality of Beth's red musk, you know what I mean. It's dark and a bit dirty, but in a fun way. (I can't wait for DH to get home and smell it on me!). I think I would actually prefer to layer this with Snake Oil since the vanilla won't stay on me; it's steamrolled almost at once with the Power of Musk.

Verdict: really fun, but I'll probably decant a few imps to swap, since I don't know if I need *that* much Smut. Definitely gender-neutral, and it lives up to its name! :D

Snake Oil with a big dollop of hazelnut butter in it. Almost peanut buttery. The surrrounding smell is a lovely, sweet musk... but frankly the nut butter smell is too much for me.

Very very sexy! It is like Diet Snake Oil.... all the flavor with half the calories..if that makes sense. It is very musky, but it will not knock you over. I've already received lots of compliments on this one!

I hesitate to compare Smut to Snake Oil, because, on me, it's more like Scherezade than Snake Oil or Snake Charmer. It screams red musk, with just a hint of siberian musk and what could be skin musk or black musk in the background. The other thing that hits me upside the head? COGNAC. The deep, thick cognac note from Formula 54 mixed with deep, sensual musk.

I don't see Smut as being very smutty to me, but I can see where it would be on other people. :P

:P :D :D This really does smell like dirty sex to me!! Really dark and musky, tangy and strong. It goes really, really boozy on me, and unfortunately comes out smelling a bit like burnt rubber. Something in there doesn't like my skin at all. I really appreciate the idea of this one anyway, and I'm still gonna hang onto my bottle for awhile and maybe try it at a different time and see if it's any better.