Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

What a great freakin’ word. BPAL LOVES TEH SMUT! Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

In Bottle: Sweet musk

On Skin: Ok, I love musk and this just boils over with muskiness. Wow sex appeal! Anyone who smells this on you will be panting at your side. The musks are the leading notes for sure, but there is a pleasant warm sweetness as well. That’s the sugar I’m assuming but it’s so sweet it almost smells like a warm vanilla sugar. The booze note is luckily not too boozy. I was worried we were going to get the Sugar Skull 05 booze, but it’s not like that at all. It’s something darker and more mellow. Overall, I love this scent. There is one slight dirty note that I don’t like much, maybe a light patchouli? But it stays in the background so I don’t get to upset with it. After about 15 minutes, the sweetness subsides and it’s mainly just a beautiful skin musk. I can see comparisons to Snake Oil, but it doesn’t have the spiciness that Snake Oil has to me.

In the bottle: Sweet! So very sweet and sugary. Where's the musk?

On, wet: Still very sweet, but the musks are finally showing up. What a great combination -- sharp and warm and sweet all at once.

Drydown: The sweet notes fade off, leaving warm sexy musk.

Thumbs up!

Wowza, this one whomps you in the face straight out of the bottle. It's sharp and dirty smelling to me, and I was starting to regret buying multiples.

However, after about a half hour of settling into my skin, it's wonderful. Sweet but feral-smelling musks warmed with some booze notes. Very evocative of the name, and definitely not scary like it was initially.

Preconceived notions: I adore musks. And I love the word smut, just like everyone else here. So I'm thinking I'll like this one quite a bit.

In the bottle: Oh no! The weird "sexy peanut butter" note from Sed Non Satiata, but with a heavy, feral sex-funk.

On: This is KILLING me. Peanut butter and stained sheets. And a cloyingly sweet booze note - rum, maybe? I'm really glad I seem to be the only one the Smut treats this way!

Drydown: Thankfully, it *does* get better. It mellows into a milder, less funky scent after about 30 minutes, and is a lot more enjoyable. But that first stage is really difficult for me to get through. I'll keep a bottle to see how it ages, or see if I'm having some random chemisty disruption today - but I have a feeling I'll be unloading my second bottle that I ordered at the last minute, unsniffed. I'm sure it'll make someone else much more happy!

In the bottle: I let my boy smell any new BPAL I get in order to get his opinion on it; his nose is infinately more trained and attuned than mine. His opinion? "It smells like an arcade." Oooookay.

On my skin: Like a vanilla bean stumbling drunkenly across my wrist, completely dirty and nasty (in a smutty way!). I reckon I'll have to get myself another bottle of this one.

I had a feeling this sassy one wouldn't work out on me. Upon opening, I was hit with the similar scent of Snake Oil and was really reluctant to try it, but since Beth had said it's a real morpher, I tried it. I let it sit on my skin as long as I could, but had to get it off. GET IT OFF ME!!!

It turned into a nasty head shop and I can be ok with some "head shop" smells. Really, I can! But, Smut and myself, like with Snake Oil will just have to agree to disagree.

I will say that Smut has a staying power though. I kept gettin whiffs of it all day and it drove me crazy. I can still get a hint of it now, the next day. Boy is this stuff sticking like nobody's business.

:P

at first: sweet, musky booze. amazing!!!

on: lots of musk. dark, earthy musks. sweet and boozy, too. love it!

half an hour later: darker and muskier. i adore this!

1 hour later: dirty musks with a bit of sugar.

2 hours later: dark, sweet, and smutty.

overall: perfect. this is such a sexy scent. i'm glad i grabbed a bottle.

I already tried and fell in love with this at last month's Will Call.

In the bottle, the first thing I notice is that it has already mellowed a bit since then. This was a bit stinky in the bottle, but it's much mellower already. This is going to age beautifully!

Wet - Dark, dirty patchouli and cognac.

Dry - this is a bit soft on me, I can barely smell it. I have had it on my sleeve for the past month though, and know that I love it that way. On my clothes, it smells very much like Snake Oil, but without the black musk that smells so awful on me. It's an intoxicating scent! On me, it's similiar, but much too light. I may have found the first oil to try in a BPAL scent locket!

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 5 .

Sadly, my experience with Smut was almost identical to astrid's. :P It was almost pure heavy musk with a smattering of heavy booze. I swear I detected some patchouli in there, also. Lots of throw, and very long lasting! Which can be a very good thing if you love it, and a very bad thing if you don't!

So, I was not a Snake Oil fan when I tried it. Also, Snake Charmer left much to be desired. When I read the comparisons to both, I was prepared to be disappointed.

But - this is wonderful. I smell the booziness when it's first wet, but then it quickly turns into a sweet, soft, sexy musk. It's very well behaved on me.

It also made me snuffle my elbow for hours. I did not tire of it at all.

At the very final dry-down, this had a bit of play-dough smell, but it was after evrything else was long gone.

I also smell sassafrass in this. There's a delightful touch of the sweet rootbeer that I love in Laudanum. Perhaps a dab of that with Snake Oil would be a decent replacement when I'm done with my bottle.

wow - this is a really intense smell. out of the bottle i did notice a kinship to snake charmer, but rougher and more aggressive...less sweet, too. i really don't get so much of the booze and sugar that's been mentioned, but much more spice - i definitely smell a lot of black pepper. and i do get musk. there is something almost biting and metallic - like copper - or like the way blood tastes like copper pennies... i know that is a weird association, but that's what i'm getting. i can see the "root beer" thing... like a peppery, musky root beer. this is a really "ballsy" scent, and i like it a lot. there is something definitely erotic about it, in a dark, assertive way.

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Smut smut smut.

In the bottle: ...Um, wow. Sweeter, musky, smutty Snake Oil. I loves me some Snake Oil, so that couldn't be a better thing.

On skin, wet: Sugary and musky and spicy and smutty. Definitely a cousin of Snake Oil and Snake Charmer, but decidedly different in quite a few vital ways. Musky without smelling like an animal's ass, earthy without being dirty, boozy without reeking of liquor, spicy without smelling like a baked good.

On skin, dry: There's no better name for this than Smut and there's no better adjective for this than smutty. It gets sweeter and warmer and just a bit spicier. Smut couldn't get any better -- if it did, I seriously think I'd be physically addicted to this.

Conclusion: I have only two things to say about Smut: 1) Unf. and 2) I fucking love teh Smut. I love teh Smut so much that the fact that it makes me sneeze during the first few seconds of its wet stage doesn't even faze me. This one is battling Dorian and Snake Oil for the title of Aredhel's Favourite BPAL Scent Ever, and you know, it's got a damn good shot.

In the bottle- I can't define how it is in the bottle. Perfection? I went and bought another bottle having only smiffed this.

Wet- Musk. Sugar.

Dry- Sweet vanilla musk with a hint of booze. This is exactly what I hoped snake oil would be on me. I can barely think with this on, it smells so good. I love teh smut.

Smut is great. It's everything people said it would be- musky, boozy, VERY sweet, very sexy, and surprisingly light in strength.

And yet, I've just swapped it for another LE I missed, because I like Snake Oil more.

Smut smells like clarified snake oil, if that makes any sense. Snake oil syrup. It keeps the vanilla (perhaps amps it up) , lightens up on the musk type, and replaces it with grainy sugar and some sort of whiskey-esque booze. Most importantly, it's missing the resins and unidentifiable spices which made snake oil so exotic-smelling. It's sexy snake oil, perhaps more overtly sexy than snake oil itself, but it lacks the murkiness and slight sense of malice which makes Snake oil so perfect.

if you're asking yourself why I, like so many people, cannot review smut as a singular scent without invoking the Grande Dame of BPAL, it's because you really can't. You can't deny the relationship between the two. Snake Oil is the best-selling scent for a reason- it's peerless. You can consider Smut a more universally friendly blend, much like a very well-made English dub, but I prefer the original formula. :P

I definitely smell red musk, black musk and siberian musk. The last one I have a 5ml single note of and I'm convinced it's the yumminess people find in Snake Oil...hence the comparisons of Smut and Snake Oil. (And another reason why people shouldn't discount musk as automatically bad...but I digress...)

It's very bitter, almost like tobacco...if you cut open a really fresh cigarette and smelled the contents.

I am not finding any sweetness or booze yet, though I am waiting for it. My skin amps musk, I hope it doesn't drown everything out! I want to smell like booze! So far no morphing at all from bottle to wet skin to dry. I'll update if something drastically changes.

Overall, not as impressed as I had hoped, but its my skin drowning out the booze, not the blend itself.

At first, this smelled very similar to Black Phoenix on me. It was an extremely sweet cherry almond scent, but with a bit of "grittiness" to it, like there was sugar granules all over the place.

Now that it's dried down quite a bit, it smells more.... dirty? Literally. There's a dusty dirtiness to it. But it's also still very sweet. And a touch boozy. Maybe that's what the "dirt" is?

Either way, it's very interesting and playful. I'm glad I got to try it.

:P

I wanted to love this so much. It's SMUT, after all! One of the musks just goes funky, on me though. As if a cat peed into my bottle of Snake Oil. I'm going to try this once more, just to make absolutely sure we can't be friends because I love the boozy vanilla underneath the ick, but I might have to let this one go.

in the bottle it smells just like snake oil and lust mixed together. wait, i'm going to get my bottles......

okay, i put two drops of of lust and snake oil on one wrist and two drops of smut on the other. yeah, they smell almost the same. smut has a little more dirty musk in it but yum, i like it. the throw is strong also. it does smell smutty too, kinda like two people just wallowing around (doing the nasty) in room full of sooty candles, nag champa and listening to edith piaf all night....

rating 4.8/5

I'm sorry to say that Smut and I will have to go our separate ways. I thought I'd love it -- the notes sounded great, and I adore musk in almost any form. But on my skin, this smelled like a watered-down version of Scherezade or Sed Non Satiata with an unpleasant boozy top note. Sed Non Satiata doesn't work on me (though Scherezade does), so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised Smut isn't for me. I think it's that boozy top note that smells funky on me, because the drydown (of Smut) is lovely -- and there's definitely red musk in here, which I like. But I can't see myself wearing a scent that smells icky on me for several hours, just to get to the lovely drydown.

This scent is aggressive.

It's Snake Oil and Sin and Snake Charmer having an on stage threesome in a rather seedy sex club.

It gets me feeling rather aggressive too. Like I want to walk up to people and demand they smell me. Dammit, I smell f-ing fantastic, right? RIGHT?

Right. Give me another drink while you're at it.

I find it pretty funny that I also got Snow White in the same package. Snow White is anti-Smut.

I find that owning Snake Charmer makes this scent rather redundant. But it's not going anywhere. I'm going to be *very* interested to see how it ages.

well, i wouldn't say i love the smut......but i do like it.

in the bottle: booze and musk. no suprise there

on: holy crap musk! it's a little overpowering,even for me. and i *like* musk. after about 30min it' settles into a lighter musk smell w/hints of sweetness and warmth (the burbon-y note perhaps?) it's nice, but not for everyday. this one's getting saved for a hot date or a special occaision.

rating: 8.25 out of ten. I like it, but i definately don't need two bottles of it.....

In the bottle this was a bit sweeter than I was expecting.. only once it got on me.. Mmm. It darkens up a bit.. the musks begin to come out.. with a touch of booze and sugar.. and yes.. Vanilla.

Which made me quite quite happy..

Its like sex after lots of Vanilla Stoli and Cokes.. or Vanilla Martinis..

all warm tingly boozey sugary slut.. err.. smut. :P

BPAL is not the only one who <3s teh Smut.

Smut went beyond just not working for me, it was spectacularly BAD.

I love Snake Charmer and was indifferent to Snake Oil but when it comes to Smut I cannot, for the life of me, get what others draw from this perfume. Not in the bottle or on my skin.

The only thing I can smell in this perfume keeps bringing Patchouli to mind, the one solitary note that stinks on me and to me. Since there's no Patchouli perhaps it's the Red Musk others have mentioned?

Good Bye, little bottle of Smut! You'll be well loved in your new home in Texas :P

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

In the bottle: chocolatey booze? The oil is a dark chocolate brown btw. hmm, no chocolate mentioned as a note.

Wet: Peanut Butter and booze? Ummm? :D

Dry down: Peanut Butter and booze. :D

30 minutes: peanut sauce from a Thai restaurant and candy!!!!! :D

Conclusion: BPAL loves teh smut, and others love teh Smut, and teh Smut loves them, but not me. *sigh* I love the booze in Devil's Night, and I love musk. Of all the Lupercalia scents I thought this one and I would hit it off. I am just glad I read the reviews and I am not the only one getting peanut smell. Anyone want to trade me Luperci for Smut? :P

Rating on my skin, this is a 1.

I wouldn't have ordered this except that I saw in a thread that Beth loved it. How can you not buy something that Ms. Bpaler herself adores? But the whole "swoozy, sugared booze" thing worried me. I did not like Juke Joint, and I was afraid this would be like that.

Then I saw that people were comparing it to Snake Charmer, which worried me as well.

Thank God I didn't listen to my gut. This is a keeper for me. In fact, it's second bottle worthy.

On me, Smut is a combination of Snake Oil and Dorian. Interestingly enough, Dorian didn't really work for me. But this does. Go figure. And yeah, I also smell that rootbeer thing. The drydown is also a bit--oh dear, cover your eyes, please--POWDERY in the most old-lady-ish kind of way. Again, this is not a problem for me. Obviously I'm the only one getting that powdery-old-lady thing. This does not smell like Smut to me. It smells more like Grandma's Purse.

I don't think Grandma's Purse is a very good name for a fragrance, though, so I'll just call it Smut.

AGAIN, this is not a bad thing for me! And obviously no one else has noticed it, so please don't worry your pretty little heads about it. It will be a popular blend, that's for sure.

ETA: This actually reminds me quite a bit of Gomorrah, which I also swapped away. And yet I keep this bottle. 2 bottles, as a matter of fact. What gives? I still love it, though, and have been slathering it like mad.

ETAA: I just tried Sin, and I think they are almost identical twins. Very similar. If you've just emptied your bottle you should try replacing it with Sin. I know I will.

Edited by Carolyn