Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
morleigh_s

Are custom scents available?

I was just wondering if anyone else is going through the process of having Elizabeth create a custom blend for you? I started the process at the beginning of January and I was just wondering how everyone else's progress was coming along. It's been really fun so far & Elizabeth asks good, in-depth questions. I was also wondering, for any of you who have already gone through the process, what you thought of your perfume?? I am so impatient and I can't wait to get mine and damnit, I just have to talk about it!!

I started the process in early January as well. The process thus far has been fab-but I have this fear that every time I answer her questions she just wishes I would stop babbling and answer the dang question. :P

God, I know, poor Elizabeth! Glad to know I'm not the only one who rambles endlessly about some random thing like how some event that happened when I was 2 years old affected the way that I view eggplants or something which leads me to hate the color purple so therefore I can't wear it because of the trauma and blah, blah, blah...but ya know, her questions are like therapy, so in all actuality we're getting to go to therapy and getting a perfume in the end. Can't get much better than that!!

I'm pretty sure that by now she thinks I am on crack. When I tried to describe my absolute most favorite colors to her-they were weird randomness like the smooth luminescent kinda pearly pink on the inside of a welk shell. I so want to paint my bathroom walls that color and can't get a decent match with the same finish.

My emails are always full of off topic random musings that have nothing to do with what she asked in the first place. (And I'm totally convinced that she did not want to hear what the real colors in our house were after I started with the disclaimer of "underneath the dog hair".) :P

Well, I would love it if you ladies would keep me/us informed on the process. I have been trying to scrap cash together to get a custom done.

I have been a bit fearful of the process cause I am always so damn random and rattle about silly stuff... Glad to see Sigh that I ain't alone:)

I have been a bit fearful  of the process cause I am always so damn random and rattle about silly stuff... Glad to see Sigh that I ain't alone:)

Definitely don't be afraid-like Morleigh said, it's like therapy. The questions are very insightful and fabulously thought provoking-it's almost like having a conversation with your very best friend. Or it could just be that I babble and am a freak. :P

i think my boyfriend is going to get me a custom blend consultation for our anniversary. what kinds of questions does she ask and i'm curious to know how people liked their scents once they were complete too! how long is the consultation process?

I'm not really sure how long the standard consulation process is, like I said, I started mine in January and unfortunately because of the email problems and Elizabeth's flu I haven't really gotten to talk to her for awhile. My last email from her was Feb. 2 so I can't really tell you how long it would take....She starts out with basic questions like your birthday and birth place and then draws up an astrological chart for you which she will send to you if you're interested. I have never had my chart read and it was so right on. I found out that I am an Aries with four planets in Aries...sheesh...that explains my personality. Lets see, she asked about my fav. colors and my style and what fabrics I like to wear...um...who I admire most in history and why and who I admire in the present and why. Also she asked what the one word would be that describes me best, a person's first impression of me and if its something that I would like to accentuate or downplay. That's as far as I've gotten. Last time I talked to her she told me that she had 5 prototypes so far. She puts a lot of work into it and I know it will be well worth it and like I said before, I would love to hear from anyone that has already been through the process and received their perfume.

Thanks to the wonders of AOL, I haven't had an email from her since, erm, mid-Januaryish? So I am not as far along in the process as Morleigh-But I am not complaining-I know that things will work themselves out and the end result will be fantabulous.

those of you having aol problems: maybe get yahoo/hotmail addy with a similiar name and try resuming it with that?

those of you having aol problems: maybe get yahoo/hotmail addy with a similiar name and try resuming it with that?

:D She has my alternate addys I just figure the whole lab is uber-busy and already stressed out so I can wait til things calm down a bit. Between being sick, the :P post office and being flat out swamped with orders, she has enough to contend with without me sending her novella sized emails.

The custom scents and process sound wonderful! I will have to convince my Mom that I would love that for my 21st.

Good idea, FriendtheGirl! :D

The summer before my 21st birthday, my family took a vacation in New Orleans. Mom and I went to Bourbon French, where she had a custom scent made for me - it was beautiful and the process was pretty amazing. The take your scent, put it on file, and keep it for 100 years - and no one else can have it; they're very careful to never duplicate scents exactly. The funny thing is that I'm going to "bequeath" it to my mother, who has been stealing my bottles and making me re-order for her for the last two years!

I've thought very seriously about getting her a custom scent through Beth, but am waiting to go through the process myself, as Mom is pretty conservative in her ... hmmm ... social and religious beliefs ... and would likely have issues with the astrological portion of the process. Once I get my scent process completed, perhaps I can fill in the blanks as necessary and give Mom the rest of the questions to answer.

I'm really, really looking forward to this process with Beth. I think it will make the afternoon at Bourbon French look like going to the grocery store, because I consider Beth a friend, am constantly amazed by her talent and insight, and love almost all of her scents. Can't go wrong with something like that! :P

Sorry, I can't help you with that (still rather broke...). I remembered someone got a custom on MUA and I checked. Luckily, that person is on the forum here, too, so maybe you can PM her (viciousviolet) and ask. If you do get it, tell us how it went!

I *think* Blackrayne has a custom scent as well, so you could consider PMing her as well.

I do have a custom scent from Elizabeth...it is positively divine too! :P

I worked with Elizabeth through emails to describe the type of scent I wanted, and from there, she made a few different samples which I then picked from for my scent.

Her custom scents are wonderful and I highly recommend them!

One day I will actually get a chance to dig up the emails on the old computer that have an ingredient list (I can't recall the blend offhand) so I can post it here.

I'm still in the process with Beth...the question phase is over (which is a shame because it was fun!!!!) and she sent me some prototypes...now we're just tweaking them a bit. But she has done a really good job so far and the scents that she's made for me have been really different and unique and quite "me". I would definitely do it again and recommend it to everyone who's thinking about it. Which reminds me...Sigh, how is your process going??

Edited by morleigh_s

I wonder if this could be something for the updated FAQ - I know there's a little bit on the website, but it's certainly something I think people like to know more about before going for, and it might save Beth/Nella a few mails...

i've decided to give myself a custom scent for christmas! :P (though, i'll probably end up starting it in august)

Has anyone ever had more than one custom scent done? The reason I ask is that from what I understand of the process Beth sends a few sample formulations for one to decide from... what if you can't decide and want 2 (or even more)?!

I just know I have a terrible time at making decisions like that! :P

Which reminds me...Sigh, how is your process going??

We're still working on it. Beth is being uber-patient with me at the moment. She's got some prototypes finished and I think is just waiting on me to focus. (I've been distracted by my mum being ill, work being painfully chaotic, visiting inlaws, adoption hearings with K's birth parents and David going into rehab. :P )