Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
joseybird

Terpsichore

The Whirler! She is the Muse of Dance and the Dramatic Chorus. She holds both a lyre and a plectrum. Terpsichore is the mother of the Sirens by Achelous, the River God. Bright, joyful and expressive, her scent is kinetically charged, graceful, and an inspiration to all dancers: vanilla and carnation with neroli, iris, stephanotis, sweet pea, apple blossom and palmarosa.

Source: Imp

Initial Impressions I was accused of buying this imp purely due to the name... and I admit it. Guilty as charged! C'mon, The Muses? EEE, I wanted to grab the whole section. May do that on an eventual order. And of course, it had vanilla, and I basically pick up any scents that have vanilla in it.

Bottle: When I sniffed it, the definite first impression I got was a very strongly-scented soap, which was a bit disappointing. Flowers, flowers, flowers; strangely, this smells like a lot of floral-based commercial perfumes, though it's got a stronger kick to it.

Wet: Sharp flowers and what smells a bit like a strong, overripe rose. Weirdly enough, it's kind of fresh-smelling so I sorta like it. It comes and goes, sometimes really strongly and then fading away.

Drydown: The vanilla notes are coming out! It's gotten sweeter and there's no longer a strong soap smell. In fact, that's dissipating as I type.

Dry: Sweet vanilla with a few scattered flowers in the background. It doesn't powder up, which is cool, since it seems like scents with neroli tend to smell like baby powder by the end. And while that's not a bad thing per se, sometimes you want a bit of variation.

Overall: I'm afraid wonderful finish on the scent doesn't work overall for me. Too strong and soapy.

In the imp: A melange of florals--I pick out the sweet pea (from Erato), iris and carnation.

Wet: There's a blast of the generic floral (sweet pea still leading), but this disappears into my skin very quickly.

Drydown and wear: I don't get any vanilla at all--this is pretty much sweet pea and carnation, with other floral hints in the background. This isn't sharp, which is probably a result of the vanilla in the blend, but it does remain sweet.

Strange -- this isn't nearly as overwhelmingly floral as it sounds like it would be from the description. There's floral notes in there, to be sure, but it's a lighter scent than it sounds like, and less strongly sweet. Especially with notes in there like sweet pea and apple blossom, which are usually a sure recipe for Screaming Floral Death on my skin, this is a pleasant surprise.

It really does have a feeling of energy or movement to it, too, which is very fitting for its inspiration. It's light, bright and energetic, and smells about equal parts floral and herbal, with the vanilla as a soft undercurrent binding it all together. Very much a late spring/early summer kind of scent to me, and thus fairly appropriate to the time of year it is now.

Unfortunately, it doesn't stay like that. As it settles in, a lot of the energy seems to dissipate, and it takes on a distinctly soapy/powdery feel. Too bad. I got two frimps of this in my last Lab order, and I was very tempted to keep one. If only it had stayed true to how it started out...

Grade: B-

I'm not particularly good at picking out specific notes in the floral category, so what I write here will be somewhat vague.

In the bottle, to me it's a generic, light, inoffensive floral smell. On me, I get a stronger version of that, a little bit of the vanilla, and some of the cinnamon, giving it a little more of a bite. It has quite a decent throw-- I put very little on and it's very in-your-face present even with being a bit stuffed up due to allergies at the moment. I'd recommend not putting a whole lot of this on at once. Any stronger than it is now and I would have washed it off already.

I'll probably end up trading this away, but for a floral, it's not bad.

I didn't get any vanilla from Terpischore. Mostly this perfume was neroli with general sweet floral in the background. It was a very happy, bubbly perfume though.

Terpischore wasn't a very inspirational scent on me, honestly. I liked it, but I'm not gaga over it. The throw wasn't very strong either and it went away within three hours.

sniffing this made me feel like i had just swallowed a bunch of soap. i'm blaming the sweet pea in the blend--i have the single note sweet pea and i know it goes soapy on me. blended with other notes that may also have soapy undertones this is a nightmare.

getitoff getifofffffff

This is pretty much a huge floral bouquet on me, and its very difficult to "sniff" particular strains of flowers. Toward the drydown it tends to be more iris than anything else. I love how irises smell though.

On the other hand, this might be a little too "perfumey" for me. It's very bright, sunny and yes, cheery scent. It induces you to groove around, which is very appropriate considering that this is the muse of dance.

Right. I have to like this, okay? There are few things that matter to me more than dance, and the ingredients sound like they all have already made friends with me.

Imp: a bit soapy. No vanilla to be felt.

Wet: Still a bit soapy, probably the iris's fault. The neroli is very strong. The vanilla takes a couple of minutes to come out.

After ten minutes: very floral, oddly sharp, and the soapy note won't leave the rest alone. This also smells a lot like freshly cut green grass, a smell I most definitely don't like.

Not a favourite. Shame.

imp/wet: sweet orange flower

drying: the vanilla is going a bit plastic, and along with the sweet pea it's a bit nauseating on me at this stage

dry: blech, this is not at all good on me. :P just oversweet, plastic-y and icky. Oh well!

For some reason, I wasn't very excited for this one. I've put off trying it for a week. Dunno. Terpsichore is my favorite muse (in spite of Xanadu), but . . . meh.

In the imp: WHOA sharp floral. Like a flower with a knife is going to kick my white ass and tell me not to come back, if it knows what's good for it. Had second thoughts about putting this on.

Wet: WHOA sharp floral, with . . . coconut? Huh> What?

Drydown - florals calm down to a nice blend - turns out the coconut was the vanilla and iris getting along together.

Verdict: Well, I'll keep the imp around for a while I suppose. I like the iris note - may need to check on other iris blends. It's soft, and happy in a melancholy kind of way. Like a gentle smile with sad eyes. Very 'Nineteenth Century Lady Writer'. Sweet, certainly. It doesn't make me feel dancerly, though. Or even just like dancing - I feel more like pouring out tea while gently admonishing my four (entirely fictional) Victorian children on their 'Moral Responsibilities to the Empire', or writing a gentle poetic epic about "God, and Fairies, and such stuff and nonsense".

I'll keep this one for funerals and three-volume novels.

Hm. I see a lot of reviews talking about 'neroli' and 'sharpness'. That isn't at all what Terpsichore does for me, though... Well, actually, in the imp the neroli does come across quite strongly and a little candy-like. On my skin it becomes quite soft, and the predominant note is carnation -- a very gentle carnation, probably being softened by the vanilla. The rest of the notes are too well-blended for me to pick out.

Carnation lovers should give this a try. It's a bit too light for me, but it's pleasant, so I'll probably hang on to it -- anyway, my imp is to oil-stained for me to swap it in good conscience :P

Terpsichore smells absolutely lovely. I tried it on before looking at the description -- the notes I got were fruit and white musk, but musk isn't listed. Unfortunately, it started to burn a bit so I had to wash it off. But I highly recommend it for anyone without sensitive skin who likes fruity, feminine blends.

In the imp: lots and lots of strong, crisp citrusy neroli. Possibly a *hint* of other florals too.

On me, wet: sweet vanilla and sappy green carnation coming out strongly to mingle with the neroli, but it's still a bit kitchen-cleanser-ish.

On me, dry: hunh, this is weird. lots of mingled florals (primarily neroli, but the sweet pea is pretty assertive too) drizzled in vanilla syrup.

Verdict: this is very much not my style, and the wet phase is really offputting. Not a keeper.

imp: carnations and neroli.

wet: the florals are completely overwhelming. this often happens when there's lots of floral notes, they go everywhere and end up jarring and brash. i also think i have some issue with carnations, i'm noticing that note goes yucky on me.

dry: the florals stay strong and abrasive, i tend more toward soft florals myself.

Carnation, iris, and sweet pea are all instant old powder on me--no exception here, sadly. This smells really nice in the imp, though--more of the vanilla comes through than it does on my skin. I know this one is going bye-bye but I'm tempted to use it as a room scent anyway, because it's got a warm, comforting aspect to it that I quite like.

wet... HOLY CRAP FLORAL!

oh dry down... I don't know what it is about florals, but they all tend to remind me of shampoo and conditioners I used as a child.

Swap

It started out somewhat sharply, but it mellowed out to a slightly cloying floral. It's nice, but something about it sticks in my sinuses the wrong way. I think it's too much sweet pea. Out of the soon-to-be-discon florals, I think I'll keep Asphodel (maybe) and let this one dance away. (Hope it doesn't age into something heavenly, god forbid I've got to hit the pavement for another one.)

Edited by dirtytrip

Initial impression: Oh, well, the notes sound lovely! I probably wouldn't have tried to get this before they took it down just in case I loved it, so I'm glad the Lab sent me a frimp! Hopefully sweet pea won't turn into soapy death on me this time...

In the imp, it's sort of an astringent floral. A floral with a soapy-astringent bite.

Wet, on my skin - soap. :P Sweet pea, why do you have to ruin all the other lovely notes in this? Seriously. >:D

Hmm. After a few minutes, this is less SOAPY SWEET PEA DEATH and a bit softer. I can still smell that undercurrent of soap, but it's more soft and floral now. I really wish I got more of the carnation, vanilla and apple blossom.

After a bit, this is still too soapy for my tastes. I can sort of smell what this is supposed to smell like on someone with much more cooperative skin chemistry than I, if I huff my arm a bit, but...I don't want to go around smelling like floral soap all day. :D Oh well.

In the bottle: Carnation with something sharp.

Wet: Extreme floral. Carnation not so much. Come back!

Dry: My beloved carnation has returned. That and vanilla, with a little sweet pea, are what I smell now. It's a little soapy, but I don't mind at all. I like it.

I'm putting in my first Lupercalia order on Lunacy, so if this imp is all it's cracked up to be, i'll snag a full size before it's discontinued...

in the imp: heavy, cloying neroli. :P

wet on skin: more of the same. wah!

dry down: the sweet peas pokes it's head out a bit, and is followed by something that smells akin to baby powder. hmmm.

in all: well, i'll give it one more try before Tuesday, but otherwise, it's off to the swaps!

In the imp: floral with a hint of perfume and wafts of vanilla

On the wrist: Wow. The throw on this is incredible. I only smell the flowers, now, not the vanilla. And that remains for half an hour. Stays a bit too perfume-y, though. I wish it had more apple on me. 7.5/10

A lovely frimp from dnagirl, because it's now discontinued, and Terpsichore is my favorite Muse! Thank you for letting me try this! :P

IN THE IMP: Huh, my first impression is bananas, even though I know that's not exactly right. I'm not sure what neroli smells like, but everyone's saying that's what is most obvious in the imp. ... Does neroli smell like banana in the slightest?

WET: Floral and fruity. Something about it is reminding me of Eos, though, but I'm not seeing any notes in common.

DRY: Hm, I'm not sure that there's anything WRONG with this, per say, but I just don't like it. It smells kind of like wax to me. It's very sweet, not really cloying, and there's some vanilla with a bunch of florals. It's just... not pleasant to me.

Oh well. I'm still really glad I got to try this, though. :D

In Vial: Really strong, smells like an old lady's perfume

Wet: Powdery floral, very powdery

Drydown: All I'm getting is baby powder with the hint of floral.:

In the imp: Wow, that's SWEET. Really sweet. Sugary, candy sweet. Teeeeeensy bit of vanilla.

Wet: Still crazy sweet. I think it's the sweet pea. It smells like cream soda. After a minute or two, it's less sugary/candyish, and I'm getting some apple blossom. It's also getting a bit creamier from the vanilla. After a few more minutes, the carnation appears and adds some much needed depth and spice.

Dry: This calms down to be a very gentle, soft, skin scent. It's a soft and sweet vanilla/sweet pea, with little hints of apple blossom and carnation. It stays quite sweet, but it's not as tooth-achingly sweet as the wet phase. Quite feminine and gentle.

In the bottle:

Sweet with a hint of floral.

Wet on skin:

Same -- sweet floral.

Dry on skin:

I think I am mostly smelling the sweet pea and iris, sweetened by the vanilla.

It's not a bad scent, but it isn't my favorite.