Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A sweet reward for a worthy deed: caramelized sugar and sweet cream.

In the bottle: Sweet and buttery. I smelled this scent the last time I was in Disneyland and the sweet shop on Main Street was making buttered peanut brittle all day. Well, minus the peanuts, of course! The air was so filled with the buttery sweetness that it was almost like swimming in a vat of if and you could taste it just by breathing in the richness. Carmel cream.

On: Very little change. I was worried this would go weird on me like Sugar Skull does but it stays very true on my skin. I can smell a bit of vanilla and it becomes even foodier, if that makes sense.

Another keeper!

In the bottle: Sugar!

Wet: Sugar!

Dry: Sugar!

*laugh* Well...okay. To be specific, what it reminds me of is toasted marshmallows. It smells very much like what I recall Sugar Skull '04 was like, though I tried it against SS'05 and they're quite different. It's a warm, cuddly, sweet smell that does indeed smell /exactly/ like caramelized sugar. I don't get anything like 'cream' to it, at least, not in the sense of Milk/Chaste Moon, but I think there's some 'muting' aspect to the cream that keeps it from being sickening-sweet.

This has a -lot- of throw, though I find it more pleasant than actually snurfling my arm directly; it's like catching whiffs of marshmallow in the background. I keep thinking I want to layer it with either 13 (for marshmallows in my cocoa!) or something like Chimera, for some 'spice' with my sugar.

Mitzvah smells a lot like Sugar Skull to me. It's a little bit creamier, and perhaps a bit more buttery. If I close my eyes, I can sense hot melted marshmallows and butter, stirring it around in a big pot and adding Rice Krispie treats.

I sort of wish I'd kept my bottle of Gingerbread Poppet, because I image these two would have layered nicely.

Mitzvah makes me incredibly hungry. I love BPAL scents that smell like they have salt in them, and Mitzvah has a wonderful foodie saltiness to it that makes my mouth water.

This smells of melted butter, gooey caramel, and salt. I actually kept thinking of caramel popcorn whenever I sniffed my wrist, but Mitzvah also has a wonderful creaminess to it. It is rather light and fades away completely after only about two hours on my skin, but it is delicious while it lasts. And it is also swoonworthy when mixed with Lump of Coal :D

ETA.

I wore this one again today and was surprised at the staying power. I had it on for 8 hours before taking a bath, and it stayed strong for the entire 8 hours. I wonder if my nose was just having an off day before, or if I didn't apply very much when I wore this initially, because it was very strong and creamy today. I'm really loving this one too. Foodie-heaven. :P

Edited by Blood onmy hands

I have been deamed *Nice* by the Lab and I had the feeling back when I ordered that I would Get Mitzvah. This is Almost like Eggnog 04' but without the rum smell. This is usually the time of year when I make brittle and fudge at my sister in laws house. This brings to mind the making of the brittle which is hot butter, and toasted sugar. Mitzvah is all that hot buttery carmelized in the kitchen baking frenzy for me. This one lasts alot better than Eggnog 04' did and its very yummy!

On

Yeah baby

I smell hazelnut, butter, toffee, and some fresh cream in the back. This smells like Spooky's not evil twin. :P Yumminess. Toffee, Mmm.

30 minutes

As it dries it smells even more buttery. Oh my, thank you, for making this blend.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Foody

Summary

I can't believe how good this is, and that I can wear it on my skin and it still smells fantastic.

Purchase again?

Yes!

1-5 rating (5 being best)

in the bottle: buttery, sweet, dessert like. but butter is the strongest

wet: buttery, sweet mostly buttery

this has a common note to shill and has a sweet creamy almost pudding type smell, i want to take a nip, but know it will not taste as good as it smells so i am refraining. but it is a bit tempting :P the longer it is on the more the buttery note mellows, and it becomes sweet, creamy and soft.

eta this has some staying power. i test ran it last evening, and woke up this morn to a wonderful scent, i was like mmmmmm what is for breakfast, and sure enought twas my wrist. the buttery scent mellowed and it was sweet caramlized sugary yum. i actually liked it even better the next morning.

Edited by shelldoo

Extra buttery caramel. With extra butter. And caramel sauce on top. And while it is a distinctly delicious smell, it's not one I want to smell like. And so, to my surprise, it does appear that a scent can be "too foody" for me.

Edited by Wench457

Mmmmmmm.......sugary.......caramel/toffee. What else can I say? I don't really get the creamy part of it, but I've only tested this. Maybe that will come on when I wear it for a day.

Woohoo I have been deemed nice! :>

This smells a lot like eggnog to me- very sweet and creamy. It does have a bit of a caramel undertone but there's definitely something plasticky in there too, on my skin.

Oh man, now there's caramel corn, toffee and... huh. If this were combined with Midway the whole carnival would truly be present.

Midway, yeah, this is definitely a cousin of that. It doesn't morph on my skin at all so it's pure caramel candy toffee.

In the bottle: Ack! Butter. :P

On: Butter. With a side of butter. And a little bit of syrup.

Very sweet and cloying - I just can't do the foody scents very well. I pretty much knew I wouldn't be able to wear this one - I'm glad that so many others like it so I'll be able to give it a better home!

In the bottle: sweet caramel butter! It's gorgeous. I love foody scents.

On skin: HOLY BPAL GODS! It smells exactly like Miskatonic University! I'm talking warm sugary coffee with tobacco undertones!! I nearly keeled over dead happy!

After an hour of wear, it's still there. Creamy coffee. Tobacco. I don't know what my skin chemistry does to this to make it so, but it's so great. I think I need to go haunt everyone in the world and hoarde about 50 bottles!

Mitzvah

In the bottle: beautiful butterscotch! This smells so edible-it's caramel goodness. I want to drink this!

Wet on skin: oh dear, a buttery note now surfaces-I really hope this butter note doesn't overpower the other sugary notes!

Dry on skin: now the scent has lost that lovely sugary goodness and I get a scent which smells a little bit like overcooked burnt butter, or burnt toffee that's lost it's sweetness. I also notice it has that same dusty note shared by the likes of Midway, Spooky, Eggnog, Sugar Cookie 05 etc-at times this note bothers me, at times it doesn't, but in here it's annoying. What a shame, this was so promising in the bottle! It's not nauseating or cloying, but it's lost much of its glorious sweetness-it’s like my skin completely sucked out the goodness from the scent. I'll leave it for a while and see if it improves-it may also be a PMS/time of month thing? It also seems to be fading away!

After a while: it does improve a bit-the caramelised sugar does come back to the scent, but it still smells burnt and overcooked, and a tiny bit metallic. Damn you evil skin chemistry, a pox on thee!

Verdict: I hate what my skin did to this scent. In the bottle it smelt so wonderful, so gloriously sweet and butterscotch-y, I wanted to drink its contents! But on the skin, it turned to overcooked butter and burnt caramel. I am gutted. I will give this another try when I'm not pre-menstrual or menstrual-it may be that. But I'm really let down by my stupid skin chemistry. Oh well, I'll decant away most of it and keep the bottle to sniff because that's where it smells nicest-in the bottle.

Mitzvah

Starts off very creamy caramel and then calms down a bit into a more maple syrupy blend on me. Reminds me of Trick or Treat but doesn't go wonky on me like Trick or Treat did. I don't remember *why* I didn't like ToT, but I know I didn't. This is a creamy maple syrupy caramel on me. Fairly nice, but probably not something I'd like to actually smell like.

at first: this is exactly like the description.

on: amazingly sweet. even stronger that sugar skull 2004. i like the cream note in it.

half an hour later: very sweet and creamy. lovely and foody.

1.5 hours later: still sweet and creamy. this isn't overwhelming, though.

2 hours later: still about the same.

overall: this is amazing. it's very comforting and isn't overwhelmingly sweet on me. lovely.

This is so sweet, very caramel-y, and it was a little overpowering in the bottle.

Once it was on my skin, it toned down and it's the perfect caramel scent for me. It's what I was hoping Gluttony was going to be :P

I was in Italy and mistakenly ordered steamed milk instead of hot chocolate with steamed milk. The drink I got was warm, frothy, and very slightly vanilla-flavored. Mitzvah smells exactly like this drink tasted.

It's a very subtle, sweet scent - very warm and "frothy" in a way that's very hard to explain. It's really soothing, and it makes me want to curl up and take a nap. I wish I had GALLONS of this, because I can see myself using this up very quickly!

First, a disclaimer: I am sick. My nose is all wonky, so I may have to edit this review later, but.....

y

Mitzvah: Caramel! Wow! Knock me over with a caramel apple stick and dip me in....yep....caramel!

I can't believe how strong it is. I've tested all my other bottles--I got a huge stash in the past two days--nearly 10 bottles--and I can barely smell any of them. but I opened up Mitzvah and was just bowled over by the scent. And then it stuck in my nose--you know how that happens and you can't smell anything else?

So I haven't even put it on yet, and I'm overwhelmed by the scent of chewy, creamy, just slightly salty caramel. In fact, it feels like I have, um...caramel up my nose now.

It's ok, but you know I have a fair amount of other buttery, caramel scents: midway, hearth, etc. and I've already decided I need to thin the herd, so to speak, so I think Mitzvah's stay with me will be limited.

OMFG, I want to eat this! This is possibly the yummiest foody scent I've tried yet (and it *is* a foody-foody-food scent). At first it smelled like an IHOP--all butter and syrup. :D A little weird to wear, although I wanted to dump it on some pancakes. However, within seconds it settled down and became infinitely more wearable. Still buttery, but with caramel--much like a Werther's Original candy (my swapper was nice enough to include one for comparison purposes). There's also a hint of the powdered sugar from Midway--in fact, Mitzvah and Midway seem like they would layer wonderfully.

Verdict: :D I want to lick myself, so you know this'll be a crowd-pleaser. :P

Mitzvah is like the bastard sibling of Sugar Skull, Trick or Treat, and Grog -- sweet, delectible, and goddamn lickable. (But don't lick it or you'll get sick.) It melds with the skin in such a way that you can distinctly smell the cream and the sugar, and right before it disappears, it's just the barest hint of warm sugar. Brilliant!

Origin:

Oneheart on the Lush NA forum. :D

Preconceived notions:

Mitzvah was the only Nice scent that appealed to me (I hate lemon and melon as scents), so I was upset to find Snow Angel in my package instead of the Mitzvah I was hoping for, but I managed to find a lovely swapper and now I have a bottle. I know people have been calling this super sweet and foody and likening it to Sugar Skull, so I'm expecting something sweet and syrupy rather than the sweet cream and toffee type scent I'd initially imagined.

First sniff:

Oh, wow...foo-dy and intense. This is similar to Sugar Skull but more toffee-like as opposed to syrup-like. I don't normally do foody scents (especially not super sweet ones), but this is surprisingly appealing to me, possibly because of my newly acquired love of Lush's Honey I Washed The Kids soap, which smells of toffee and honey.

Wet on skin:

Ooh...caramel, toffee and heavy cream. It's not cloying in the way I would have imagined this kind of scent being (more like Hellcat or Gluttony, I mean). It's somehow light-hearted and comforting...very homey and soothing although it's not my normal kind of scent.

Dry down:

Heavy cream with just a touch of toffee. This is what I'd imagined Mitzvah would smell like and it's wonderful! Sweet but not cloying, comforting and homey. This suits me so much better than Snow Angel even though I normally avoid sticky sweet scents like the plague. :D

The bottom line:

I love this. I only wish we could buy more of the Inquisition scents that we love so I wouldn't have to ration this. :P

Sweet, sweet, sweeeet!

I love this! It's beautufl carmel scent. I almost licked the bottle! :P

Edited by icemoca

Yummy. Warm and yummy. The description of this oil is right on the money -- it really does have that burnished, caramelized sugar scent, mixed with rich, sweetened heavy cream.

It is delicious. Similar to Sugar Skull, but slightly more wearable for me because of the creaminess.

:P

So beautiful! Sweet without being cloying.

I shall wear this solo and use Sugar Cookie for layering.

Mitzvah will be cherished.

Thank You, Trading Post

ETA: Creme Brulee on application, Angel Food Cake upon drydown.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

Alas, this is the one I was hoping for the least from among the Nice scents, as the only truly foody scent I've found that I can wear is Beaver Moon.

So, that said...

Mitzvah is knock you over, sweet, dead-on caramel to me.

When I opened the bottle, before I put it on, I got a whiff and thought 'Wow, sweet caramel! Amazing!'

Fresh on, it blooms into... buttery caramel popcorn. I'm worried. Too much better here.

As it starts to dry that dies away, and then... hey, wait. Where'd it go? For several minutes I just can't smell it. At all. I do believe this would be the first scent that my skin has literally eaten in 5 minutes flat.

And dry down.. oh, there it is. It's back, but it's a close skin scent to me. Unfortunately, it smells like buttery burnt caramel to me, and the burnt smell's a bit too sharp. It's not as bad as Pink Sugar burnt marshmallows, at least. I can stand it. But this isn't a me scent and if it were more sweet and less burnt I might keep it.

It's not a me scent, although it's lovely and would work much better on someone whose chemistry works with buttery scents.