Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Pink Phoenix

Silliness in the extreme. Vanilla bean, honeycomb, sugared pear, sweet pea and a dribble of strawberry.

First, Pink Phoenix is all fake strawberry, and my mother thinks it smells like cheap teenybopper perfume. I really wasn't sure about it. But I like the lingering faded sweetness of Midwinter's Eve, so I had hope. After a bit, this also dries down into a faintly sweet scent, and I like it very much. How nice. :D

ETA: The lab description.

ETA2: A year later, I love this stuff. LOVE. It's pink, pink, pink, and so very comforting. Pink Phoenix has lost the fakeyness that it had as a new oil, and is just so sweet and soft now. It's funny to look back at this old review and see how much the oil/my perception have changed. Oh, PP. :P Edited by Shollin

121817054.jpg

Here's a pic of the lovely bottle: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/lush...hoenixmypic.jpg

In the bottle

Smells surprisingly good. Like strawberries and cream.

On

Good Lord. Why did I only buy one bottle? Cuz I thought it might be like Strawberry or Pink Moon of which both were too something for me.

Nose Twin Alert: This is not too anything on my skin, this is good. It primarily smells of sweet pea and vanilla with strawberry. Then the sugared pear is in the back. I don't smell the honey really and it's turning more sweet pea based as it dries.

30 minutes

This changes but getting even better, it's less foody now and more of a fresh floral with a red fruitiness. This would be great for spring or summer. Reminds me of Cherry Blossom a bit now.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Fruity/Floral

Summary

Starts out thick, sweet and foody and turns fresher and more floral as it dries. I like this better than BPAL's Strawberry Moon, Pink Moon, and Red Phoenix...but not as much as Black Phoenix. :P

Purchase again?

Yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Initially, this is primarily strawberry - lots, and lots of strawberry.

Dry, however, the strawberry is much less present - I smell more honeycomb and pear. The honeycomb smells, to me, like a less sticky-sweet version of the single-note honey, and the pear is reminiscent of D'anjou pear - fresh, and definately pear, but with the smell of the leaves, the stems, the rest of the pear tree, as well. That could be in part the influence of the sweet pea, which is usually very strong on me, but it still has a distinctively pear smell to it.

Sadly, I don't notice any vanilla in this. Sometimes, it seems to have a vanilla feel to it, but on me, the honeycomb seems to overpower any other sweet, foody-type scents.

Overall - this is definately very silly, but thankfully not too sweet. I couldn't wear Pink Moon, but I think I'll be able to wear Pink Phoenix.

I am so glad that I bought two bottles of this one :D. I worried that this might be too fruity or too sickeningly sweet, but it isn't at all. It actually has a very pleasant creaminess to it and is very well blended. I think of smooth vanilla and strawberry flavored spun sugar when I smell this. It's very light and playful. My boy sniffed me and said that I smelled like strawberry icecream and whipped cream, then he proceeded to nibble on me. So I am rather fond of Pink Phoenix :P

In the bottle: Strawberry and pear -- all sweet fruit and honey. PINK PINK PINK.

On wet: All things pink: strawberries, candyfloss. It's very, very girly and PINK.

Drydown: After about an hour or so, it's much less PINK, and more honey and vanilla with a hint of fruit. A much more sophisticated scent than the original impression.

I wasn't sure about this one at first, but the drydown was really nice. I'll have to see if I can live with the initial blast of PINK to make it to the drydown.

BPAL's strawberry note hates my living guts. All Pink Phoenix is is strawberry -- strong and overpowering and my skin adds a plasticky undertone to the strawberry and whoosh: holy Starberry Shortcake doll, man. *shudder, twitch* My skin and I do not get along.

Sweet, fruity, floral.

It’s not an overload of sweet. To me…it brings to mind a few pink flowers and a strawberry covered with crystallized sugar dew. As it develops, the sweetness dies down leaving just the fruity floral.

It’s very yummy and delicious. I’m still deciding if it is me. :P

In the bottle: sweet, fruity, and a bit creamy.

On: You know, it does just smell... pink. There's a fake strawberry aroma that dominates at first, but it's not unpleasant - just a smell that's not found in nature. As it dries, I can smell more of the vanilla and honey.

It's light, girlish, but still subtle on me.

Well.. another one i was prepared to not like at all.

But I craved owning all three phoenixes.. and figured this would be one I could hook some of my girls on.. (yay enabling)

However..

I get the same sickly sweet strawberry notes upon bottle opening.. but they mellow out on my skin. Its a fun scent. Something Id wear rarely. But the very faint vanilla cheers me up and the 'drizzled' strawberry is just that.. Drizzled.. all sugary thick at first, but once stirred up a bit it floats along rather nicely.

Oh, this is so nice. Wet, all I get is sweet pea and pear. Dry, the strawberry and vanilla come out, and a yummy cloud of sugary fruitiness (but without any hint of bubble gum, like some of you are getting) envelops me. If I put my wrist up to my nose and inhale really deeply, I get a teeny tiny bit of the plasticky note that ruined Midway for me. But the throw is strong enough that I can enjoy it from afar! I'm so happy to have this one.

heh. My first review.

Pink Phoenix is something I was iffy on trying since normally I'm an aquatics/florals sort of person.

In the bottle, the word PINK jumped out at me.

Wet, it smelled of strawberries. Pure, sugar-covered strawberries. I think I smelled a bit of pear in there as well.

Drying down, the strawberries calmed down a bit with the vanilla making it a bit more creamy. I'm not very good at picking out scents but the scent mellowed out to a sweet pea sort of scent. I adore sweet pea and I was excited to smell the sweet pea come out to play.

Hours later, the scent still wafts up to my nose as I'm working and is absolutely wonderful. The throw (I think that's the correct term for intensity...??) is quite nice on me. Not too strong but not too faint.

Definately a keeper! :P

Pink Phoenix is the perfect compromise for me.

I like Pink Moon, but the florals amp on me and it loses it's sweetness. I liked Strawberry Moon, in theory, but it was more artifical strawberry and less cream on my skin.

Pink Phoenix is creamy, thick, sweet and absolutely girly. As drydown approaches, I am getting a wonderful sweet strawberry- honeyed vanilla caramel-like scent. Quite edible and yummy!

The sweet pea does not present itself as floral at all in this blend on my skin.

Although I like foody scents, I normally don't fall for the overly sweet ones. Pink Phoenix has just moved into the top ten for me. I don't think I could wear it every day, but it's perfect for when dressing up and when one wishes to feel feminine and flirty. It has a very youthful feel.

In Bottle: Strawberry sugar

On Skin: I Love, LOVE, LOVE this scent. It is so girlie and soft. It reminds me of gumdrops and candy. There is a very light, soft pink floral… the sweet pea I think, but it is so light it’s barely there. The sugar scent is very sweet and drippy, not dry and airy like cotton candy at all, this is a more fruity candied scent. The fruits stand out as well, the pear and the strawberry especially… I need more bottles of this… oh my!!!

I thought Aquolina's Pink Sugar was sweet, but it was a sweet I could handle. Same with Pink Moon. Pink Phoenix, on the other hand, is so sweet my eye is twitching.

It's definitely those strawberry candies that actually come in the red shiny wrappers printed so they look like strawberries. They kind of squish when you bite into them.

I am not sure I can handle that inside goo all over my wrist.

There's definitely a kick in here that reminds me of baby powder as well. I smell somewhat like a Strawberry Shortcake doll when I'm wearing this.

Much more so than Strawberry Moon.

Oy...

*fans air*

Edited by aidenraine

i had high hopes for this one, as all the notes sounded delicious in the description. the reality though, is not working so great for me...the smell out of the bottle is the first bpal oil that actually made me a bit queasy - i've heard people mention this phenomenon before, but i just couldn't imagine it - but something in pink phoenix does this to my stomach. however, on my skin it is better - lighter, sweeter...a little plasticky and chemically, unfortunately. a bit of strawberry which i like, and a bit of something creamy and sugary, but mixed with plastic. i don't wanna give up on this one - it does get better as it mellows out - and it's got this fun element to it, but i think it might be too artificial-smelling on me. can't decide.

In the bottle:

Yikes! The reviews weren't kidding -- this is super, fake, sugary pink. Bit of strawberry, but mostly just sugar. But it's making me smile.

Wet:

Now it smells like just like cotton candy. Sweet sugar and honey, more strawberry.

Drydown:

I didn't like Pink Moon. I love Strawberry Moon. This is somewhere right in between.

It dances toward that artificial-sweetener bitterness that Pink Moon had, but never gets that saccharine. And the strawberry isn't as strong as Strawberry Moon. Instead, it's a sweet middle ground with a touch of pear and honey. The vanilla doesn't take over, thank goodness, and while I wish one of the notes would jump out more (since I love all of them), it remains a sweet, evenly blended, pink sweetness.

And...I think I love it. It also lasts a long time and has great throw. And Macha's label rocks. Can I have some more, please? :P

Pink Moon was very pretty in the bottle- honey, pears, and strawberries- but, when I put it on, I got the same red licorice lipsmacker smell I got with Aunt Caroline's. I cannot describe it better than that. Lipstick-y.

It gets less sweet as it dries, and for what it's got in it I cannot believe that it's not toothache-inducing, but it really isn't. It does not work with my skin, alas, for I get too much waxy sweetness, but it's really not as silly as you'd think.

Given the right skin, this could be really pretty.

Pink Phoenix is almost too sweet for me to stomach in the bottle, but on, it really mellows. I get that lovely base from Pink Moon which I love, plus vanilla, strawberry, and pear, in that order. This is one of the first BPAL blends where I feel like I can really isolate and smell the vanilla note in the mix.

It won't surpass Pink Moon as my fave *pink* blend, but I'm glad I have a bottle. Days like today, when it's gloomy and grey outside, are perfect days for a shot of something this sweet and cheerful.

mmm pink phoenix! in the bottle , it smells like super sweet strawberry sugar. initally on my skin, it's pretty much the same, but the vanilla and honeycomb start to appear as it begins to dry. it's hard for me to pick out the sweet pea and sugared pear, but that may just be my noob nose or just how well blended the oil is. it definatly reminds me of pink moon (one of my favorites) without all the floral notes. i already have a 2nd bottle on the way :P

in the bottle:wowy, pink! mmmm bubble gummy? very "young" smelling

wet: strong, i am getting more pear then strawberry i do believe. i am thinking the "pear" gives it the bubble gummy type smell. it is sticky sweet smelling

this has alot of throw. i would venture to say on me this is a sweetpea/pear blend. that goes slightly honeyed as it dries. i don't get alot of strawberry. it is not a soft pink. i am thinking vibrant, hot pink, after quite a bit of time, it has a stronger honey/vanilla touch but remains mostly sweetpea on me.

Pink Moon was far too strawberry on me and not in the best way, but so far I am liking Pink Phoenix more - there is something about it that is almost more spicy, but not any actual spice. I am unfortunately bad at picking out scent notes :P I like this one, but am not gutted that I only ordered one bottle.

SWEET.

Pink Phoenix on me, starts off as all honey with the usual honey-sex-musk smell. it quickly morphs into cotton candy, followed by carmelized surgar, then a bit of burnt plastic, ending at a pile of confectionary sugar so sweet it makes my teeth hurt.

it's a little (well, more than a little!) too sweet for me.

however, if you liked Pink Moon, or any of the other heavily sugar scents, i'm betting you'll love Pink Phoenix.

i gotta go brush my teeth! :P

n.

I wasn't sure about ordering Pink Phoenix after reading the lab discription, but it sounded like too much fun to pass up.

I'm so glad I got it! This is a fun, flirty and feminine scent! Sweet pea and vanilla take center stage at first, but a hint or honey underneath adds a sexy twist to this otherwise innocent blend. I also pick up a subtle strawberry note in this too!

I love it!

Pink Phoenix smelled a bit like children’s cough medicine in the bottle. It was very sweet. On my skin, the oil wasn’t as sweet as I had anticipated. I hadn’t expected to particularly like Pink Phoenix, since fruity scents tend to go either way with me, plus sugary scents that are syrupy-sweet make me feel queasy sometimes.

However, Pink Phoenix is really quite lovely. The scent is sugary, yes, but it isn't sticky or particularly cloying. When I look at the ingredients again, I almost want to smack myself for thinking I might not like this; I love every single listed ingredient in other blends! The strawberry and honey seems to be amped up the most on my skin, but again, the scent isn't sticky.

Pink Phoenix is a winner. I'm happy that I picked up a bottle. It's something I would enjoy wearing for days where I feel like a little bit of silliness is in order. It's a "cute" fragrance, which should balance out my heavier, darker, more serious bottles.

-doreen

Awww, it smells so good at first, like strawberry gum with a creamy undertone, almost like I hoped Jailbait would smell. (Jailbait turned into detergent on me.)

But after about ten minutes it turns into plastic. Sniff. I love it so much in the imp and wet on my skin, but the goodness just doesn't last.