Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Beaver Moon 2005

Traditionally, Beaver Moon is named thus for a very obvious reason: during this time of year, beavers are hard at work building their dams and preparing for the onset of winter. Because it was too hard to resist, BPAL’s Beaver Moon is sillier, sleazier, and full of camp. This scent is of cheesecake and cupcakes, more in line with it’s cheekier connotations, and really hasn’t a damn thing to do with Luna at all!

Beaver Moon is also one of my favorite Lunacies---right up there with Chaste Moon for me. It definitely is akin to Midway---in that it's a foodie blend but is surprising light, and is not cloying even though it's sweet---but it also has a wonderful graham crust and cream cheese frosting/cheesecake note, as already mentioned. Yum, yum, yum.

One of my Beaver Moon bottles cracked in shipment and so there was 'Beaver all over my box' (sorry, had to say it) so I had a great opportunity to test it on my skin last night as I tried to clean everything up. It wears very true to the in-bottle scent on me, like a heavenly mating of Chaste Moon, Chimera, and Midway.

Definitely on my top ten LEs ever. Edited by Shollin

Preconceived notions: Sweet foody scents rarely work on me. Chocolate goes stale, coconut goes plasticky, honey goes uber-sweet and cloying... blends like Midway, Spooky, and Misk. U have all been complete failures. On the other hand, Lunacy blends generally work for me, and even the sweeter ones like Milk Moon and Honey Moon have been OK. So I had to order me some Beaver.

In the bottle: Oh my... frosting! If nothing else, I want this around for when I have a frosting craving. Though it's entirely possible I'll drink it in a fit of frosting-induced madness.

On: It goes from frostingy goodness to being a bit iffy - threatening to go stale like Midway does on me - but it stops just shy of the staleness. It's not perfect for me, but much better than expected. It's the tiniest bit artificial with my chemistry - store bought frosting, versus homemade - but still pretty good.

Lunacies, they never let me down. Does that make me a Lunatic? Mmmm, frosting covered lunatic.

I've never hated my chemistry so much. This is gorgeous and sweet and delectable, right before it turns into nasty chalk and sets off the sneezes.

Beaver Moon is strawberry cheesecake -- with a touch of lemon sugar drizzle... not bad, not bad at all. Of course, when I get close and start sniffing my actual skin, I smell cinnamon graham crackers and, well, something not so nice -- rather burnt plastic. All in all, it works, and is pleasant enough. :P

In bottle: Rich, decadent cheesecake. Mouth-watering. There's the slight tang of a fruit, like not-quite-ripe strawberries or extremely sweet lemon sauce.

On me: Terribly light on the skin - not at all thick like in the bottle, the blend is light and mild. It has the fried-cotton-candy-sweet note that figures so heavily in Midway. However, it is much foodier and cakier than Midway. Thoroughly likeable, and light enough that I don't think it will be overwhelming to wear. What a fun blend!

In the bottle and initially on my skin, Beaver Moon is white frosting.

After a few minutes, it develops a delicious undertone of cinnamon cake.

But there is some note that adds artificiality to the scent so instead of a mouthwatering cinnamon cupcake smothered in vanilla icing, you have a plastic cupacke set out for a commercial photoshoot.

What else can I add? This smells like sweet, vanilla cupcakes on me. It's a soft scent, but lasts longer than Midway did. I swapped Midway because it was too fleeting on me, so I'm glad to have this sweet (similar) scent to replace it.

This is a really yummy-smelling perfume

In the bottle I smell cinnamon cakes with frosting, and that's how it initially smells on me. The spice has gone away now, and the scent of cake with mounds of frosting. I don't get any cheesecake from this scent, but that's not a terrible thing, I hate cheesecake. It's a really sweet blend, but I like that in a scent.

It smells wonderfully sweet in the imp. Like vanilla frosting and cheesecake all at once.

Unfortunately, my body doesn't do well with foody scents and this goes to vanilla candle on me. Damn my chemistry. I might have to keep the imp for sniffing

I was a little leery of the food aspect of this scent since musk is more my speed than foodie scents.

In the bottle: Smells exactly like a cupcake my boyfriend would make: moist and absolutely delicious. This is no store-bought cupcake! There is attention to detail buried in this delectable delight, that hint of someone going to the trouble of making something simple yet really good. I want to savor the first, scarf a second, and sneak the rest into bed with me.

On me: Although it turns to cotton candy on my skin, it doesn't do so in manner that is cloying or obnoxious. It lurks in the background, but never lets you forget it's there. I was cooking dinner while wearing this, and I'd keep getting little hints of its scent as I was doing so which only served to make me hungrier than I already was. My boyfriend asked me when I was going to start moaning over how good it smelled. (How do I answer that one?)

Later on: The vanilla in this is really starting to shine through now, making it less cotton candy and more warm and cozy.

This is definately one to hoard. :P

Edited by Princess of Mars

I was so hoping this would work on me. In the bottle it smells amazing - like rich warm, gooey chesecake with a graham cracker crust. It stayed that way on my skin for about 5 minutes, then went to plastic. I hate my chemistry ::pout:: Off to the swaps... so someone can give it the love it deserves.

Edited by Reinier

I am so soooo sad. This is my sad face. :P

This smells absolutely delightful in the bottle - rich creamy cheesecake. On me, it reads as plasticky dust.

(It's actually the same note that is in both Midway and Misk U, only the dustiness sort of works in those blends. Though now that I have smelled it in this, I now have an unpleasant association. More :D )

Edited by maewitch

In the bottle: CHEESECAKE. So accurate it's uncanny, from the cheesy 'tang' right down to the graham cracker crust.

Wet on skin: Here's where I got nervous, because after about 5 minutes of lovely cheesecake on my skin, it seemed to fade right away... however...

Drydown: After about 10-15 minutes, it made a bold resurgence, and in a way I haven't really experienced with too many other scents. If I put my nose to my wrist, I get 100% graham-cracker-crust, with just a little hint of spice for good measure. But the cheesecake bit seems to be all in the throw - I can't smell it next to my skin, but it's wafting around me.

It's not the strongest scent ever - at about 3 hours in, it's fairly faint now, but still present. But I absolutely love it! Even though I have quite a few sweet, foody scents already, this one is quite different, and a definite winner. :P

Oh, this scent is DIVINE in the bottle!

I absolutely adore cheesecake, and just opening the bottle, I was drooling and wondering if I had the things around the house I need to make any.

So, yes. The description is perfect.

In the bottle, all I got was lemony cheesecake. Sharp, sweet, crumbly base. Oh, it's beautiful. Um. :P Anyway.

Wet on skin it turned a little acrid, almost as if it was burned, and I wanted to cry. This lasted for all of 20 seconds, thankfully! As it dried, though, Beaver Moon stayed remarkably true to the bottle, sweet with a little sharp throw to it.

As it dried, it calmed down a little, and now I've got the faintest whiff of fresh cheesecake around me, but sniffing my wrist, it's all base. Spicy and biscuity and very sweet. It's amazing!

A very playful scent. Honestly, I can't think of an event when I'd wear it, but it's lovely and I'll definatly keep it!

In the bottle: Oh, this is cheesecake all right. Already I'm drooling!

Drydown: Spicy cinnamon graham cracker is coming out now, especially when I jam my nose against my wrists to smell, but I also smell sweet creamy frosting. The little bit I got in my hair stays true to the pure cheesecake smell in the bottle.

A few hours later: Cheesecake and cupcakes. Apparently I smell so good that my mom decided to make her famous cheesecake, just 'cause! I'm going to wear this all the time. :P

i used to bake cheesecakes (and other desserts) for a living, so this is a scent i'm very familiar with. beaver moon really nails it - specifically the classic italian ricotta cheesecake - with vanilla, a bit of almond extract, and lemon rind. and of course the graham cracker crumbs, with just a bit of cinnamon. i do notice something a tad "artificial" or chemically, as someone mentioned, but i can't say it really bothers me. it reminds me a bit of artificial almond extract, which i actually like the smell of.

beaver moon is rather light, and very playful. it feels comforting to me, and is nice to wear to bed.

the only problem is: it makes me very hungry!

I'm not much for the really foody scents, but this was like a milder, more fun and cheeky version of Milk Moon for me. Definitely cheesecake, with a bit of lemon and vanilla. Surprising throw for the teeny amount I put on, but not one that stayed on my skin very long. Tasty, playful, and it made me want to throw myself into holiday baking pronto. :P

Beaver Moon

In the bottle: ohhh. I'm not that familiar with the smell of cheesecake but I'm getting a delicious sweet creamy smell, so edible and yummy. Very cake like.

Wet on skin: creamy, sweet, almost like marshmallows. Surprisingly complex too-now I'm getting a slight tangy scent-not vinegar, more like a citrus scent, and cinnamon! yay!

Dry on skin: oh wow. This is delicious, delightful, and decadent. It smells like a creamy dessert dusted with cinnamon! Soft fresh cream, cream cheese do doubt-like a fromage frais, with warm, freshly baked spice-dusted sugar coated cakes, crumbly cheesecake base, cinnamon, buttercream and maybe some fruit filling too, adding a tangy twist to the sweetness of it all. Another scent that compels me to gnaw my wrist off! I never thought I'd like a cheesecake-themed scent, but the cream cheese note is very appealing here, it smells so genuine-you know it's cream cheese, not merely cream-but without being nauseating or too rich, which is amazing.

After a while: still yummy, sweet, creamy and spicy as ever. Now I think the cupcake scent is growing, but the dominant scent now is a warm baked cinnamon crust made of biscuit crumbs, with a veil of sweet cream on top. It has amazing throw too.

Verdict: Beth is on a roll with these Lunacies…this stuff is a huge surprise hit for me. I don't know what compelled me to buy a cheesecake scent as I don’t like eating it, but I'm so glad I did give in to the Beaver. This is a cheesecake scent, accurate and genuine, complex with all aspects of cheesecake catered for-spices, sugar, the baked cake base, a bit of something fruity, and the cream cheese. There are also cupcakes in here for good measure. This scent is sweet, warm, edible, delicious, comforting and such a pleasure to smell, and I'm stunned as to how much I like it-I was worried it would be too cloying or sickening but no. this is fantastic stuff and I proudly proclaim that I love the smell of my Beaver!

(I really want to layer this with Gingerbread Poppet and/or Sugar Skull to make a cream covered mince pie scent…but as this is Beaver Moon, I dub the layering combination 'minge pies'!!! :P )

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Yep cheesecake all right. It's cream cheesy with lots of sugar. I smell like I did when I used to be a cake decorator and was up to my elbows in frosting.

That's how it starts out anyway...

It does that awful thing that milk moon and a few others did, where the cream turns sour on my skin. I was going to try a suggestion to put it on over almond oil, but realized that I was out. So I tried it over some shea butter that I did have. It didn't do the sour thing, but did change a little after a while. I still like it though.

This is really great! I love this with Sugar cookie too, what a fanstastic combo. The Beaver calms down the cookie in a perfect way... the best dessert scent I have ever smelled :P

I have nothing to add to the reviews above except that foody scents don't always work on me - Chaste Moon being a rare exception. Beaver Moon knocked my socks off with the YUM of yellow cupcakes, pure & simple. It stayed utterly true for the 8 (!) hours it lasted, even through a shower. It brought me back to birthday parties in kindergarten - unexpectedly wonderful. I love it and will definitely hoard my bottle.

In the bottle it smells exactly like cream cheese frosting. YUM.

On, it smells like angelfood cake, sugar, frosting and more YUM. My sister asked who sprayed vanilla when I was at my parents' house yesterday. My brother said I smelled like cream soda. YUM.

Either way, this is light, sweet, foody heaven. Definitely in my top 3 of Lunacies. YUM.

IF YOU HATED IT, SEND YOUR BOTTLES MY WAY, KTHX. :P

This smelled like cupcakes with cream cheese icing on me at first. Absolutely yummy.

In about 30 minutes though, it smelled like the scented My Little Ponies used to, a little powdery and plasticy. It was nice, but not great on me.

Red velvet cupcake with icing - in the bottle, on the skin, everywhere.

Throw: Substantial.

Breed: Foody heaven

Wearing Beaver Moon has gotten me the best responses from total strangers and from my mom (who can't stand perfume at all). I am so, so, so happy that I got two bottles.

I get vanilla, and baked goodness, and that distinctive red icing note and it's all so very wonderful. The scent doesn't morph at all, and the longevity is superb (a good, hearty throw for about five hours before it tapers off and I need to re-apply).

6/5 on Medici's Scale O'Love (and Lust)

:P

I absolutely adore this. Like everyone else, it smells like red velvet cupcakes, with a very rich frosting. It has good throw but is still pretty subtle until you get really close. My boyfriend said that it made him want to nibble me, so I consider this scent a victory all around! My skin usually drinks up my scents but, eight hours later, I still smelled completely edible. I'm glad that I found someone willing to sell a bottle!