Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Forbidden Fruit

As light and innocent as your first time should have been. The fresh scent of lotus hidden behind lightly scented flowers, amber, and citrus.

Imp: oof. no good! somehow it smells sharp and sticky at the same time like....a lotus covered in old bubblegum.

it was no better on my skin. I tried washing and scrubbing, but to no avail. :(

In the Imp (ITI): The lotus is delightful and intoxicating as I open the ampule. However, as I sniff in the morning, there is a bubblegum note in there as well. Odd.

Wet:Chemically lotus with some pungent florals. It reminds me of al old air freshener that used to come in a Lucite half-diamond shape and the scent would be emitted through a scented disk on top.

Dry: Florals and lotus, , which one of my fellow teachers thought smelled lovely on my skin. However, it is a bit too overtly floral for me.

Quite lovely at first, fresh bright floral. Dry, this is stickly bubblegum territory, overly sweet, fruity floral. Not really my thing. I don't detect any amber here.

I got this as a frimp in my most recent lab order.

In the imp: A jumble of sweet notes. Fruit and floral - Mainly orange and jasmine, or a similar white floral.

I can smell the amber when it hits my skin, giving it a bit of spiciness. It's still kind of overpoweringly sweet and floral for me though. I'm not getting the "bubblegum" lotus scent here, but it is very sweet. I don't really like this kind of heavy scent... it's just too much. As it dries more it's actually kind of smoky, but in a "wet ash" kind of way that isn't pleasant. Not a match for my chemistry, I'm afraid.

Edited by sunlitgarden

Even though I am very new to BPAL and have only tried a dozen or so scents so far, I am utterly convinced that this is my Holy Grail scent. It has everything I wanted. It has EXCELLENT staying power -- I can put it on in the morning, go to school, and still smell gorgeous when school ends. Fairly decent throw, people standing shoulder to shoulder to me can smell whiffs of it, but not so heady as to be intrusive. And it's...I don't even know how to describe.

Curiously, this is decidedly not a light scent on me. It's warm and rich and dark and full of sweet, honeyed amber. I think the sweetness comes from the florals, but they are not distinct enough to identify as florals. They just add a hint of sugar to the amber. I don't get any citrus at all, but I don't mind. It'd just be jarring with how warm and honey-sweet this scent is on me. It's...just....golden. If this scent was a colour, it would be a warm, glowing gold.

The funny thing is, the first time I tried it on, I hated this scent. It smelled like cough syrup on me. It's only after reading some reviews for Ave Maria and seeing people say that scents morph on them on the second try that I decided to try it again, and since then, it's just always been pure magic on me.

I'm so glad I got a bottle of this. *hugs it*

Got this as a frimp. Wet: bubblegum (the bright pink kind) and fruity floral. Dry: more lotus with a hint of sugary bubblegum. As this dries, it become more lotus-ey and mellow. It transforms from teeny bopper to young sophisticate as it dries. Nice, but I don't think I need to get a bottle before it is dc'd.

wet: ...wet paint????? O.o

dry: lotus always misbehaves on me and it's BS. This smells like nail varnish remover and wet paint.

Huge throw, screeching at me. I'm getting a little of an artificial, cloying grapey scent from it too.

NOPE. Not for me at all.

So... given that this scent has been resurrected, and I have a bottle of the original, I thought I'd give it a proper review here. I probably will not ever try the resurrected version as I am happy with my bottle.

This starts out SUPER lotusy. Wet, lush, sticky, cough syrupy lotus. Probably what people describe as "bubble gummy," though to me it smells a bit different. It's lotus with a titch of warmth to it. :) I think the citrus adds to the impression of fresh, juicy sweetness but it doesn't smell crisp or clean like citrus. The amber starts to warm up and sort of round things out underneath, and I think there might be some jasmine in this. The lotus starts to get sort of a plasticy/lipsticky smell to it, but that's just what lotus seems to do on me. :/ It's still quite lush and fruity floral and bright pinkish red to me, I like it, but it's almost overly ripe smelling. Forbidden Fruit always makes me think of that line from American Hustle -

"There's something, the topcoat. It's like, perfumey, but there's also something, rotten. And I know that sounds crazy, but I can't get enough of it."

That's pretty much how I feel about this blend. So there's my two cents.