Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ishtar

BPAL Patchouli - there's nothing else like it

What would you recommend for a very mellow, subdued patchouli scent? I am looking for a patchouli note that would be in the background, giving depth and complexity to the scent, but nothing too aggressive or heady.

Usually, patchouli is really not my cup of tea, but given that Beth already performed a few small miracles (ie making me enjoy, nay, love, floral and frankincense scents), I thought I would give it a try.

Looking forward to reading your recommendations. Thanks!

You came to the right place. Beth does the most amazing things with Patchouli. You won't find any of that dirty hippy feet smell here.

May I suggest...

Greed

Anne Bonny

Voodoo

They all have an almost sweet feel about them, not foody, just gorgeous.

I second greed. I don't like patchouli and I am ordering a big bottle of this. Greed is beautiful on me. As gross as it sounds, it makes me want to eat my wrists =)

Vixen, Ravenous, Lust, and Sin. All four are absolutely gorgeous oils with patchouli in them that will not make you smell like a head shop or an extra in a Cheech and Chong movie. The patchouli just blends so wonderfully with the other elements of these oils. They're unabashedly sensuous and SEXY as hell.

There are some great suggestions above. I love Vixen, Voodoo and Lust. I'd also suggest Imp (peach) and Depraved (apricot and a bit heavier than Imp).

I would definitely agree with Vixen and Sin. Rakshasa is beautiful if you like sandalwood (it didn't work with my skin chemistry, but it is flippin gorgeous in the bottle). I love The Caterpillar as well, but it might fall into the "too heady" catergory because of the incense. Good luck - and i think it's great that you've got an open mind about trying something new. Beth's certainly got a way with these oils - they've convinced me that I love sandalwood and that musk can be a good thing, even though I've always thought that i hated those scents! :P

Isn't it wonderful how BPAL can change your perception of a scent even if you thought you didn't like it? :P

It opens a whole new world of possibilities -and makes so called "shortlists" even longer (as if we neeeded that! :D )

Thank you very much everyone for your recommendations. Now I *just* need to choose from them! :D

Edited by Ishtar

I have to second Greed, Anne Bonny and Depraved.

Really, you need all three! ;-)

I didn't realize how much I loved patchouli until I tried BPAL. Those three have no hippy shop-aura to them at all. they're scrumptious and wonderful! :P

Another vote for Lust. I'm really picky about my patchoulis (it's either a love or really, really hate for me) and the patchouli in Lust is strong but goooood. Yum. :P

I have 2 questions. I love patchouli, but I'm confused about the different "kinds" of patchouli, red, black, etc. Could someone let me know what the difference is?

Also, since I love patchouli, I'd like some recommendations. I think I found some, but I like really strong, spicy scents, ylang ylang. I love LUSH's amazonian. I used to wear a ginger oil, so spicy scents are definitely it for me.

Thanks!

ETA: I think I'd like to try a musk as well, any suggestions?

Edited by Krista

I can't give you definitions, but I can tell you that oils containing Black Patchouli always smell great on me whilst those containing Red Patchouli smell awful!! This is down to my individual skin-chemistry and I am sure there was a thread discussing this a while back, some find Red to be best, some Black. If I find the thread I'll add it.

ETA: OK, the thread is here:

click

and I'll ask for the posts to be merged.

Edited by allamanda

I have 2 questions. I love patchouli, but I'm confused about the different "kinds" of patchouli, red, black, etc. Could someone let me know what the difference is?

Also, since I love patchouli, I'd like some recommendations. I think I found some, but I like really strong, spicy scents, ylang ylang. I love LUSH's amazonian. I used to wear a ginger oil, so spicy scents are definitely it for me.

Thanks!

ETA: I think I'd like to try a musk as well, any suggestions?

Beth doesn't always list what type of patchouli is in a blend, but so far for me, where the type has been listed, the red seems to work better on me than the black. I'd love to get the single notes of each so I could find out for sure!

Anyway, if you like ginger and patchouli, you HAVE to try Vixen. It is absolutely gorgeous. Also try Voodoo, that has everything going on, it's sweet, spicy, tangy and also has patchouli.

Sorry Krista, not only did I not welcome you to the forum :P I also totally missed the second part of your question.

I agree with Alice and Chupa, Vixen, Voodoo and Sin are gorgeous, I would also suggest:

Tisiphone - Oleander with black patchouli, ylang ylang, and neroli

Lust - red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh.

Nephilim - Holy frankincense and hyssop in union with earthy fig, defiled by black patchouli and vetiver, with a chaotic infusion of lavender, cardamom, tamarind, rosemary, oakmoss and cypress.

If you like fruity scents add these to the list of possibles:

Depraved - Earthy black patchouli swelling with apricot.

Imp - white peach, amber, golden musk and patchouli.

Hey Krista, one more rec for you - Greed. It's one of my favourites, smoky resiny deep ... I don't know which patchouli it contains, but it's soft and warm on me, really really great :P

I second Sin, Vixen and Malice and also Depraved. I like all of them very much. If you think you'd like a patchouli, sandalwood, rose scent, try Raksasha. It is one of my new favs.

I love Patchouli, too. Anne Bonny's my favorite. On me, it's more sandalwood than patchouli, but it's fantastic all the same. :P

~ Penance

OK - so I'm being an enabler and got my friend a bottle of Sin for her birthday. She really likes it but would also like something that's similar, that's heavy heavy heavy on patchouli and doesn't have cinnamon. I also got her Aureus, which she also likes but she really wants more patchouli.

I'm thinking: Anne Bonny, maybe? I don't know many of the Tarot/Voodoo blends - would any of those work?

Thanks!

She might like:

Omen - heavy on the patchouli, and a bit sharper and brighter than Aureus what with the juniper. Nice and earthy. :P

Depraved - is good for a deep black patchouli, if she doesn't mind the apricot note.

Anne Bonny - she'll possibly love it, as it is spicy from the incense notes, but has no spices listed. It was a bit too dry for me, and not as much patchouli as Aureus, but is lovely.