Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The sticky sweet scent of candy corn!

Oh yum! This one's right up there with sugar skull for me. It is definitely 'candy corn-ish" but doesn't smell like what I think good old drug store candy corn smells like. It has more of a sugary edge to it, very much like sugar skull. It reminds me more of the orange icing they put on those sugar cookies that they sell in the grocery store at Halloween time. Delicious, decadent, sugary sweetness. I love it, this is my type of scent. No one will ever get their hands on my back up bottle!

This doesn't smell very good in the bottle to me- I recoiled in horror when I opened it up to take a big sniff :P like stale creamed corn in a can. However, the outside of the bottle smelled divine, so I took a chance and put it on. It INSTANTLY morphed on my skin! Sugary sweetness with an almost spicy/smoky edge. It's a little like Sugar Skull but not too much, it doesn't have the maple syrup/brown sugar thing going on that SS does. This is hoard-worthy for sure- an excellent gourmand autumn scent that has a little something in it that prevents it from being 100% sugar.

Edited by luxuria

Hmm... I have yet to decide how I feel about this one. It smells really good to me in the bottle - sweet & butterscotchy.

When I put it on it has properties that remind me of Gingerbread Poppet and Sugar Skull but definately is a scent of it's own. Immediately it goes all burny and my skin gets red. Hmm...I smell cinnamon, I think that must be it?

Then it gets all funky and plastic smelling. *CRY* Why must my skin DO this to otherwise wonderful scents. I'm bummed. Maybe this will work as a room scent.

116402135.jpg

In the bottle

Sweet mother of God. It smells like cream and caramel. Um, I actually smell cream in here. I didn't think Trick or Treat would smell this good at all.

On

The cream part kinda goes away and now I can almost here the "crack" of the spoon against the flamed sugar topping of a creme brulee.

It's scent becomes similar to Sugar Skull (2004, I haven't smelled 2005 yet) quickly, though I was never this knocked out by Sugar Skull.

As Trick or Treat dries it turns even more burnt sugar-y and even takes on an almost caramel coffee-like scent on me.

30 minutes

It has a lovely dark coffee caramel smell.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Foody

Summary

I like the milkiness of it in the bottle vs. on my skin. It's just absolutely yummy (it made me crave candy okay) in the bottle. My skin is not playing well with others. :P But that said it's still a yummy scent :D just not a "5 star" as it was in the bottle.

Purchase again?

Maybe. If I could just smell it in the bottle, God yes, tons and tons.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

wow!! upon opening the bottle, i smelled candy corn.... i looooooove candy corn. on me, it smells like caramel, vanilla, and spice. it's similar to my treasured sugar skull. :P i wish i'd ordered 2 bottles.

In the bottle: weird...corn? I never thought that CANDY corn smelled like corn. Oh well, here we go!

Instantly sweet and spicy, a little buttery. This is making Sugar Skull seem perfumey (one on one arm, one on the other...for ease of description...both are primarily sugar, yes?).

Trick or Treat is not exactly light hearted. There is still a darkness in the sweetness. A little toasty, a little spicy...but not as much as Sugar Skull. It is a little more honey type note in here, me thinks...

Love it...but not as much as Sugar Skull.

Oh my! In the imp this is pure sugar, candy corn. The name fits!

There's a little cheesecake in there.

On my arm there is the genuine scent of corn. Real, buttered corn. That's really disturbing.

Gahhhhhh.

Where is my candy smell? I want that back. I get a burnt sugar in here too.

On me this is just nothing like it appeared in the imp.

Mmmm. This clinches it -- sugar is GOOD on me. This starts out smelling like cormeal pancakes with honey. An hour later, the sweetness is less pronounced, and coffee, caramel, and spice notes are starting to peek out around the edges. Just beautiful.

in the bottle it's strong (my husband opened it and i could smell it a room away) and sweet! i also get the cream corn smell but i like it. (a friend who doesn't really have a good sense of smell said moth arm pits?!?! :P first off, arm pits? moths don't have arms!)

on, a whole new story! there is a spiciness there that i never noticed in the bottle, way yummy! kinda butterscotch, nutmeg, cookie thing. i do wish it stuck around on the skin more...

Edited by graycat

Upon opening the imp I got strong strong corn and I cringed. Because... ew??? But, I had read the reviews so I wasn't TOO worried. On my skin it morphs INSTANTLY (thank goodness!) and gets very sugary and sweet. The corn is still there in the background, but the sugar comes up front right away. It smells vaguely like I remember candy corn smelling, but I just get a general creamy sugar smell. Not too bad. :P But, I think I might prefer Sugar Skull with with fruity note over this.

It smells exactly like Sugar Skull 2005 on me, too. I'm actually pretty glad I didn't buy a bottle, as while the Sugar Skull is nice, it's not really 'me'. Well, at least I know not to rush and buy a bottle of this, as it's not for me, either.

ACK! I cannot tell the difference between Sugar Skull and Trick or Treat! I got home after a long day, ripped open my package, and slathered both on. Now, well, my wrists smell the same! Both smell like maple syrup. My husband seems to like the effect, although for the life of me I don't know which one he's responding to. Maybe both.

Is there a big difference in the drydown? If so, I don't smell it. I know that Trick or Treat smelled sort of weird and vegetable-y in the bottle, but on it was just sugary. Burnt sugar, actually. Burnt sugar with maple syrup. Oddly enough, I like it.

This could be Sugar Skull, of course. I have no idea. Must find Inner Control Button when opening new BPAL packages.

I was afraid to try this oil at first because of bad memories associated with candy corn (there should be a warning label on how much you should eat in one sitting). I took the plunge and bought an imp, since that would be a safer investment than a bottle.

Somehow, Beth magically caught the essence of candy corn straight from the bag and put it into a bottle. Wow. Super sugary sweet that is giving me a sugar rush just sniffing it. It's like Midway's hyper little sister.

While I'm pretty certain a bottle of this would have been overkill, I'm definately loving my imp of this.

It smells exactly like candy corn!! :P

I really like this scent, candy like but less sugary to me than Sugar Skull. I might have to get me a big bottle of this.

Something like sugar cookie last year, this was sweet, sticky and sort of wierd in the bottle. It rings true as candy corn while wet but on me it quickly softens, blends away, and smells somewhat musty with my chemistry. I would love to have loved this but it just doesn't work with my chemistry so off it goes.

I didn't initially order this, as I was afraid that it might be just too much of a good thing and too much of a novelty scent. Plus, I hoped that I could check out the early reviews, see if it sounded too good to be true, then hunt down an imp...so I did.

Trick or Treat smells *good*. It is more than just corn syrupy sugar (which is pretty much what I think candy corn smells like, which is another reason why I was not overly tempted originally), but it is definitely sweet sweet sweet.

When I first put it on, I had my husband sniff my arm and his reaction was "gingerbread!" which I wasn't really expecting. Then I took another whiff. And i did, indeed, smell a lot like gingerbread on me - not quite like Gingerbread Poppet, but more like the ginger shortbread I sometimes buy or something. But there is definitely spice in there on me.

It has mellowed a bit, and is definitely a fun scent and I'm glad a have some to play with for cooler days, but I doubt that I will use more than the imp.

When this scent arrived, I had absolutely no preconcieved notions of how it should smell. I have no idea what candy corn smells like (What?! I'm Scottish, we don't have candy corn over here!)

In the bottle: Reminds me of Egg Nog. A strong sweet vanilla-ish scent with a hint of extra spices.

Wet on my skin: It's like a 'lite' version of Gingerbread Poppet at first. My skin seems to grab the spices and pushes them forward leaving the sweetness in the background.

Drydown: I can't stop sniffing my wrist! A gorgeous brown sugar and spice -esqe scent. Sweet but not cloying or overpowering. I am definitely debating whether I need another bottle.

Oh. Oh dear. :P

When I opened the bottle, I recoiled. The Husband said "Ew!"

For me, Trick or Treat is every single thing I didn't like about Gluttony and last year's Sugar Skull, all in one bottle. On me, it smells like stale sugar, burnt coffee, and bad maple syrup. Oh well, those two bottles will go in the 'swap' box, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for Beaver Moon.

-Jilli

Trick or Treat

In the imp: caramel! This isn’t the dark, treacly scent of Sugar Skull, this is a lighter caramel-in fact, it smells like toffee popcorn! I’ve never smelt or tasted candy corn, so bear with me.

Wet on skin: toffee popcorn! This is yummy!

Dry: this is Sugar Skull’s younger sister. This is a pure caramel scent, sticky toffee-and I do get corn here-it’s like popcorn. So, I’m unsure if this smells like candy corn but it smells just like toffee popcorn to me! Like the stuff I eat at the cinema-it’s scary how much this smells like it! It’s delicious and so sticky-sweet, it’s almost cavity-inducing!

After a while: this does get a bit too much after a while. It now smells really corny! Like real popcorn. It’s a nice scent, very authentic smelling-not artificial-but now it’s getting a bit too sickly sweet on my skin. I’m afraid the sugar is smelling a bit burnt and a tiny bit nauseating.

Verdict: to me, this is the pure essence of toffee popcorn. A genuine, unbelievably real scent of popcorn covered in caramel and eaten in front of a good movie. Unfortunately, despite me loving toffee popcorn, I’ve realised I don’t want to actually smell like it-it’s a bit too sticky-sweet and a bit full on and slightly nauseating for me. This is one of those foody scents that I find a bit too cloying for my skin chemistry and my nose-one of those scents that is better when it comes from something that is actually edible! Maybe I shall keep this as a room scent or a novelty scent-but I will keep the decant I have of this, because this is a fun scent! (and the decant label has the most adorable Halloween kitty on it!!)

In Bottle: Sweet candy

On Skin: This is sweet… very sweet. At first it reminded me of Grog. That sweet caramel rum scent… but Trick or Treat has a more brown sugar note to it. I don’t know what candy corns smell exactly like, but from memory this scent seems pretty darn close. I love this as a Fall scent, especially for Halloween, but I smelled so sweet people thought I had candy on me… so maybe it would be best as a room scent?

This is so yummy. :D

In the bottle, pure butterscotch pudding.

On my skin, the butterscotch takes a back seat to cinnamony spices and slightly burnt sugar. A very warm, very sweet, very autumn scent. Love it.

I wish candy corn really tasted like this. :P

Edited by -Jamie-

Trick or Treat is so delicious! I ordered it because I was curious, but it has far exceeded my expectations!

In the bottle: Creamed corn & sweetness. A little bit of booze (crazy but that's what I get). I can see similarities to butterscotch pudding but I get more of the corn smell.

On the skin: Very similar to Sugar Skull. But with traces of corn and a spicy warmth. It's very sweet.

Drydown and Conclusion: This is a big winner for me! I think that I like it more than Sugar Skull. It dries with a butterscotch, cinnamon, spicy sweetness that is just yummy. The sweetness takes a backseat to the spices. The cinnamon really amps up on me. I think I'm going to need a second bottle.

In the bottle: sweet, creamy and buttery.

On my skin: spicy and foody, this smells EXACTLY like Gingerbread Poppet! :P I cannot for the life of me tell a difference, so either my bottles have been mislabled or candy corn is supposed to smell like this.

Don't get me wrong, it's yummy. But not at all what I was expecting.

OMG YUMMY. This is sweet and caramel on first application. Faintly corn, yes, but in the way that fresh and delicious candy corn smells.

Sadly, after the first bloom of sweetness, the scent disappears almost completely, to a faint burnt sugar. Luckily, unlike my unfortunate Midway experience, it didn't turn plastic, but it didn't stick around, either.