Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... This is the scent of autumn night, fires in the distance, with a touch of boozy swoon, playful sugar and thuggish musk.

I don't usually try the boozy blends, but I was intrigued to try all of the Halloween releases this year, so here goes.

something musky and a little heady in the bottle.

on my skin - I'm getting a heady mixture of musk and something sweet and heavy, almost resin-like.

five minutes later - yup, it's musky. I can't identify it as sexy red musk or cool white musk but I'm hoping that dries down into the deep soft powdery black musk that I've been known to fall for...

Dry down- undistinguished musk on me I'm afraid. I suppose it is black musk, but somehow it doesn't make my black-musk-sense go :zinnnnng!: in the same way that Thanatopsis, Black Forest, etc. do - not as soft, not as powdery, not as sweet.

I would describe this as Buck Moon's darker brother. Not a new love, but I'm very glad of the opportunity to try it.

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL202/154131...4/117657209.jpg

In the bottle

Peppery fruitiness? Something good. Could it be...Orange?

On

OMG.

I definitely smell orange, and maybe even sandalwood, smokiness, sugar skull like. This smells a bit like "Xitiuchtul" too.

30 minutes

Turns more carmelized sugar than when wet but it's still got that great wafting of wonderful scent. Ohh.

Damn. When it's dry the orange kinda goes away and I smell patchouli or something left.

Throw:

more than average!

Scent category:

Musk/Fruity

Summary

Oh My, this is fruity, spicy, musky and damned addicitive with this great throw.

However it disappears WAY to quick on my skin. It morphs into nothingness on my skin. My skin hates me. :P

Purchase again?

Yes! Why didn't I get multiple bottles of this!

1-5 rating (5 being best)

When wet this is a 5

When dry it becomes a 4 :D

Edited by UltraViolet

with this scent, it’s really hard to describe what i’m smelling, but i love it. out of the bottle it is smoky, sugary, boozy, and buttery. as it dries, it smells sort of like a gingersnap cookie with a touch of lemon. after half an hour, the foody aspect goes away and i smell rum and a lot of smoke.

Devil's Night

In the imp: ooh, light smoky ginger and sugar. This smells delicious!

Wet on skin: ginger! I definitely get a slight ginger vibe from this-but it's not a fiery ginger scent, this one is slightly smoky, and definitely sugary.

Dry on skin: oh wow! This is lovely…I get that gorgeous smoky scent that autumn air tends to have, that light whiff of bonfire smoke, along with a sweet ginger beer scent. I can see why people say this has similarities to Shub and Sugar Cookie, but this one is different…the spice is more muted, and I get a little bit of mild booze-the kind of booze I like! The sugar is there too-and the musk! A light, very gentle, velvety yet slightly tangy musk which forms a lovely soft base to the scent, almost Buck Moon like, in fact-I even get something slightly foresty-in an autumnal way-from the scent. It's truly wonderful, and subtle too.

After a while: now the booze, spice and sugar have retreated and become faint, but the scent that remains is a lovely soft smoky musk, very much like Buck Moon. It's a slightly sharpish (but not in a bad way) yet subtle skin musk-I'm wondering if this is Egyptian musk? It has that sort of barely there, tangy, 'second skin' quality to it. This scent really makes me think of Bonfire Night (and how apt is it to review it on that exact day), the scent crushed autumn leaves and the smoke of the bonfire wafting past, watching the fireworks with a really handsome boyfriend (yeah, I wish…)

Verdict: this is a delightful smoky sweet musk scent. It has the smoke and leafy/woody scents of an autumn night mixed with a little bit of booze, a pinch of spice, some sugar, and a soft skin musk base. It's perfect-it's subtle and yet unique, and wonderful for autumn. This scent brings to mind Guy Fawkes night, and is Buck Moon's autumnal equivalent. A fantastic autumn scent, I'm glad I have a bottle coming to me!

Devil's Night is to autumn scents of 2005 what Dia de los Muertos was for me in 04--one of those rare BPAL scents I have to have more than one bottle of (I'm not a slatherer, so usually one bottle will last me just fine).

From reading this thread, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones--it smells on me exactly like described. In the bottle I get those lovely burnt sugar notes of Dia 04, but it has a boozy richness in it, like creme brulee that has booze in it. There's also a faint smokiness that adds to the sweetness--you know how it is when you've had a woodfire in the house a few days past, and what is left is the smoky sweetness of ash? That kind of smoke. I grew up in Alaska where lots of people heat with wood, and I've always loved that sweet ash smell that hangs on people who live in a home heated with wood. That is in the Devil's Night.

It stays pretty true to that on my skin, but after a bit, the musk comes out, which makes the scent a bit more complex and adds to the powdery sweetness. I imagine it is also a fixative, but I wish it worked better! Like others have noted, this scent just does not last. I had to reapply it three times in one day to keep up its sweet boozy goodness. Usually I just give up on the blends that won't stick around, but I love this one so much....well, I'm just glad to get another bottle of it.

I'm worried that dia will disappoint me this year, so Devil's night stands in for it. Its gorgeous!

Autumn wind with the sweet scent of sticky candy. It is nostalgic without being too sweet, though. The drydown is reminiscent of spiced pumpkin pie.

I was highly suspicious of a cinnamon aroma at first. I avoid pumpkin pie/gingerbread scents like the plague... I like to eat them, but me smelling like them is nauseating. On, my first thought was yucky cinnamon sugar cookie, and I was really upset, but then the musks started poking through, along with the smokiness and I suppose the autumn breezes or whatever. Then it reached this stage where it smelled of this cheap perfume I had in high school, Ici. That was odd. With high school on the brain, this now reminded me of driving way south on LaGrange Road out into (or beyond?) Orland to go to some pumpkin patch place with a corn maze and pig races? Or driving about the west suburbs in my friend's Mustang and stealing construction horses (blinkies, in our terminology) to put on people's lawns. Mischief indeed. I put this on before bed, and was rather liking it as I was falling asleep, but where I had put it when I woke up smelled like dirty men. After a few retries, still dirty men on the drydown. And not in a good way. I really wanted this to work but alas, not for me. :P

I couldn't wait to try this scent. As soon as I saw the description, I thought that's for me!

In the bottle, this smells cinnamony-spicy and sweet, and there is some booze here, but not much to my nose. It's resiny sweet, and thick smelling to my nose. I think I can also smell the musk, but I'm not sure.

Once it hits my skin I smell the earthy spiciness of fallen leaves, and a scent reminiscent of Hellcat, perhaps the booze note asserting itself. There is also a smokiness to this that combined with the spicy note reminds me of some kind of incense.

As it dries, the autumn-y spicy leaves and smoke smell lingers for a long time on my skin, at least a couple of hours. Then it starts to soften and fade into a sweet skin musk scent that suits me really well. It sits next to my skin and cuddles up. Eight hours later, I can still smell it, and it's great.

I really love this scent. It's perfect for cool weather, and suits me down to the ground. I was afraid when I read some of the other reviews and they said the musk turned funky, but it's good on me. The drydown is wonderful, and a little reminiscent of Buck Moon. Except that instead of gentle and woodsy, the musk in Devil's Night is edgy and badass. Me likey! I'm so glad I got a bottle of this. I may have to get another.

In Bottle: Brown sugar and mulled spices.

On Skin: This scent doesn’t seem as boozy as the other 2 Halloween scents I have yet it actually has “boozy” in the description… hmm… The scent is very sweet spicey, brown sugar and mulled Fall spices. I think the musk is what is making it so spicy. This scent is warm and comforting, a good room scent perfect for cuddling up under a blanket with a Jack-o-lantern in the window and a mug of hit cider in your hands. Sadly, later as the scent develops, a smoky note surfaces and overwhelms the scent. I don’t do well with smoky scents…

In the bottle: Spicy and sugary... snickerdoodles? My first thought was "oh em gee, this is what I wanted Sugar Cookie to smell like!"

Initial application: Yep, snickerdoodles. There's just a hint underneath of a cool, dry, fallen-leaves scent.

Drydown: After two hours, the outdoorsy-ness and just a faint whiff of the musk have emerged. The cookie smell (and it's a DRY cookie smell, none of the butter of Gluttony) is still there, but more of a background now. It's like walking outdoors on a crisp day, and catching the aroma of baking from some nearby house.

This is utterly fabulous. I had high hopes for Devil's Night, and it's even better than I'd dreamed! :P

It started out sugary sweet, a bit musky - then it smelled like a bit of coconut. Dried down to a plasticky sweet scent. Ahh not working for me.

When I first opened the bottle I thought, cinnamon graham crackers?

After applying it, Devil's Night turns warm, spicey, sweet with a touch of musky smokiness.

I wore this out on Halloween night, it was a chilly evening so there were Autumn fires in the distance, blended with the scent of Devil's Night it was wonderful. :P

I hope it makes a return next year.

Edited by Nox Eterna

When wet, this is graham cracker crust to my nose. A bit gingerish with a sweet boozy note. Quite nice!

On the drydown, the sweetness fades, except for a tiny tickle of it. Think Juke Joint (esoterically speaking, not exact). Then, the musk comes out to the forefront.

This is where the scent stays for me. Musk with a hint of sweetness.

I *almost* think that the musk in this is very similar to Harvest Moon '05. It could be the musk or it could be the surrounding sweetness that's throwing this vibe to me.

Regardless, Devil's Night is a scent of a wild autumn night. Boozy, and sweet, that leaves the lingering scent of skin cooling after the flush of running, playing, and kicking ass with wild abandon.

Be Mischevious!

at first: an interesting scent. dark spices.

on: spicy and earthy.

1 hour later: dark, with a hint of spice. definitely autumnal. there's a bit of musk and something smoky, too.

5 hours later: a bit soapy and smoky.

overall: this was nice, but not really me.

Devil's Night is a welcome surprise as incense and fire notes don't tend to work well on me. This is a lovely scent, predominantly sugar-sweet with hints of spices and distant bonfires.

It is a fabulous oil for Halloween as it represents the candy along with the outdoors in autumn.

Oh wow. In the vial, this is a gingery, chocolately booze.. It smells the same on my skin, but it kind of starts going a little craft store ginger. Thankfully when it dries, the sugar and booze comes out to tame the ginger and its really a fun playful scent. It fades a little quickly on my skin. It doesn't go away, just gets very subtle and soft.

All in all, a beautiful scent.

In the bottle Devil's Night is reminiscent of Samhain but on the skin it's very different. There's a fruity note that smells like a cross between apple, orange, fresh ginger and oddly enough I get the slightest hint of bubblegum a la Jailbait, but ever so slight. The smoke is wispy and not overpowering like wood smoke but more like the essence of burning leaves that are mostly dry with something fresh too, like cool night air. As for booziness, it must just be enough to make this blend the beauty it is because I can't pick it out individually. And there's also something clean like that outdoor fresh laundry scent, but it's buried deep.

Overall a gorgeous smoky, fruity and sweet skin scent with the musk standing out for me the longer I wear it. I should add that something about this reminds me of Eden only it's darker and sweeter. I'm so happy that I'll be able to order more before it disappears. My perfect Autumn scent.

ETA: I'm getting something like the sweet tobacco and coconut of Elgeba, too. This oil just explodes and unfolds amazingly!

Edited by HappyLoveJoy

There something in this that reminds me a bit of Buck Moon - it must be the musk, with some sort of similar woodsy/dry grass undertone. But this is sweeter and actually a bit softer overall.

I don't pick up the booze at all (which is good, because alcoholic notes don't always work on me). It's really just the musk, which is wonderfully light and soft, sugared up, with that crackle of leaves and crisp night air - but not in an ozony way at all.

Words like 'thuggish" were making me worry that this would be too masculine, but it's not. It's really really beautiful, and I wish I had more evocative language to explain it.

Edited by maewitch

You won't pry my bottle out of my cold dead hands. I adore this. It's sweet, musky, boozy, spicy. Just perfect for autumn. It gets no better than Devil's Night.

In bottle: Giggling. It smells like hard berry candy, sweet and sugary. But there's that slight lift in the fragrance (I'm not sure how to describe it) that makes it smell like an alcoholic berry drink, still sweet but with that little somethin' extra.

On me: The smokiness comes out, and it's a lovely, complex scent. Burning leaves and heavy musk, but the sweet sugary note is still there. It's a scent that refuses to recede completely into the background, giggling madly every time it wafts up to my nose and to the front of my mind again. It's almost hypnotic, it's so demanding of attention. And who am I to deny it? I will keep this, and keep it happy with frequent wearings.

This beats all for morphing on my skin...

In the bottle: Lord have mercy, this is sweet! Honestly, when I smelled this for the first time, I didn't know if I'd actually be able to try it on. The combo of sugar and booze (and nothing else) almost made me sick on the spot.

Since it was a LE, I figured I owed it to myself not to ship it straight to the swap pile...

Wet: That combo of sugar and booze is not going away and it smells stale on my skin...wah! I almost washed this off about 10 minutes it, but again, it was an LE, so I decided to be patient.

Dry-down and wear: I don't know how this happened, but this has become a beautiful smoky scent. I'm so excited, and I'm glad I stuck it out. I know I have to wait for ~20 minutes, but it turns out lovely. This is the smokiness that I wish Djinn had--this scent is softer, and reminds me of wood, not ashes.

OMG, this smells like Samhain 2004's sister! In the bottle it's smoky and a bit boozy. On my skin it's..well...kind of crazy. A little foody, a little smoky, a little flowery. And with a bit of an edge. Wonderful!

wet: whoa, sweet and sugary. but it's not cloying like Sugar Skull was...it's a cool sugar with a tang of booze to it. I rather like it.

dry: now the smoke is coming out beind the sugar and this is completely a Halloween night smell. candy, night air, dead leaves, smoke...nice. the dead leaf/smoky note is reminiscent of Samhain 04, but the blend isn't as heavy as Samhain was on me.

devilsnight.jpg

I adore Devil's Night.

Bottle: Sweet, Dark, Spicy, a hint smokey. I can't really pick out the "boozy swoon" part, but I think that's a defective nose problem--i've never been able to smell the booze in the boozey ones.

On, Wet: My first impression is...don't laugh...chocolate. Hrm. I know there is no chocolate listed here, but the initial wet-phase really has a similar feel to Velvet to my nose. It has that woodsy smell, and is dark and sweet, so that must be why. This also has some gentle deep spice. I'm having a Devil's Night love fest....

Dry: Dark spicy woods with this tantilizing brown sugar sweetness. And musk. But its a gentle, warm, embracing musk. I really need to know what kind of musk "thuggish musk" is so that I can seek out more scents with this! Hours of lasting power, and nose-teasing throw.

Overall: This dries down to the most perfect autumn scent. I really can't decide whether I prefer this or Samhain from my '05's. I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun trying to figure it out. I will NEVER NEVER part with either. :P

Edited by jewelbug