Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wickedgoddess

Gainful Employment

Mod Note: This review topic is for the unreleased but available version of Gainful Employment.

Origin - decanted imp from a forumite

Wet - spicy deliciousness! This reminds me a bit of Laudunum, there is nutmeg or clove and possibly sassafras, over a base that I can only describe as "that voodoo note." I am sending out resumes and writing cover letters tonight, so I thought this would be the perfect time to try this out.

Dry - cloves, definitely cloves. Of course that doesn't mean there's not nutmeg in here too, I am not sure anymore. At first the spices fade, but after a little while, the cloves come roaring back. In terms of scent, the cloves and violet mixture of Mantle of Venus didn't work on me, but this is spicy deliciousness. It's always nice when the TAL oils smell good enough that you actually want to wear them. I would have no problem wearing this on job interviews, in fact, I plan on it.

I will probably pick up a bottle of this, as I am currently job hunting and it is exactly what I need.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4 (scent only.)

I know this is a TAL, but man does it smell good. I want to wear it as a perfume, so very badly. I could probably justify annointing my body with it, in connection with some ritual or another, but I am not the one who needs the job, DH is.

So, I annointed a green candle, taking care to rub in a clockwise direction to bring the energy to me, and to him. I meditated on him getting a job for a while and then placed the candle on his desk, where he works. I am letting it burn down.

It sure smells nice as it does. Uplifting. It reminds me of Lush's Wiccy Magic Muscles. The same cinnamon-clove aroma.

When I was finished with the candle I annointed DH's laptop with the oil, and his money clip. He's been out of work since February, and we are desperately in need of the money. Not much work in his field around here.

Currently Unemployed and seeking a decent paying part time job that will work with my time restrictions~ I am giving Gainful Employment a try (thanks to a lovely forum member via the swap forum). Right away I notice the heavy clove and cinnamon. There may be other oils in this, but right now it is heavy on the clove with a bit of cinnamon breaking through. Hmm Maybe even a little bit of licorice? As it touches my skin it sends a heat sensation , not burning, but hot. This leads me to believe there may b some black pepper in this. I do not have sensitive skin, so I had no red bits on myself but I can imagine this burni: ng the hell out of someone with sensitive skin, definalty use with caution. After annointing my candles tonight and praying beside my bed I'm hoping to be able to do something I enjoy while still having a life outside work. Will Gainful Employment help? I'm Hoping it does!

ETA: Gainful employment is one of my favorite scents in my locket. Really beautiful spicey and warm scent, there is something sharp in there that really cuts through the air. I *love* it!

I'll get back to ya on how it goes!

Update: I am not a brown noser, I Promise! I will send pics of my nose to you if you arent sure :P I have to add that I have met, a wonderful person whom has helped me sell alot of my handmade clothing. She tells people about me and buys things for herself, and she is also someone I feel a deep connection with personally. I also have been selling well online and making enough through my business to live on. Ain't that a trip? Plus I anointed my Old mans shirt with it and he has been making BANK now doing what he loves most. Really this stuff works well, Ihave time to go out and have fun, plus I work from home and take care of my son 24/7

Gainful Employment really helped me :D

Edited by Nadirah

forest recommended this oil to me at the last full moon will call. i was telling her how my husbands company had laid off about 300 people and sadly ryan was in the cut. she told me that this was a great oil to use in ritual and to wear (just a little) when going on interviews.

my husband doesn't do any traditional ritual work or have an alter but he does do his own little rituals of visualization and positive thinking. what he did was put a little on a green candle the night before each interview, while anointing the candle he would envision the meeting going smoothly and getting the call that he got the job. he would also have me put just a dab on each of his charka points before he would go.

he told me that it was extremely comforting to get a little hint of the oil while in the interview, it made him feel more confident since he associated it with positive feelings and visions of getting the job. makes sense to me!

with in a week he landed himself a job, not the one he was really looking for but it's turned out to be much better than he had originally thought and his very pleased with it and in the long run i think it's going to be better and have more room to grow.

as for the smell it's kinda spicy, clove and nutmeg maybe. it kinda reminders me of the comme des garcons he use to wear when we first meet.

thank you forest, your the best! :P

Gainful Employment gave me grief at first, but now? I feel like I need to get empty imps so that I can decant this and spread the love around.

The afternoon I ordered the bottle, I scored an interview for a position that was higher than my qualifications. The bottle came the day before the interview, so I figured, omen!

This morning, before leaving the house for my interview, I sat down, as bifemmefatale suggested, and anointed my palms with Gainful Employment, as well as a bit on my resumes. I put tiny dabs of Charisma on my third eye and my cleavage. I prayed to Ganesha (remover of obstacles), Saraswathi (goddess of knowledge and talent), and Hanuman (awesome god of coolness), and gave a shout-out to Lakshmi (goddess of wealth and luck).

Scentwise, I think there's vetiver or something in there, maybe pepper, I really can't tell. To me, it just smells like confidence. I felt confident as long as I could sniff it.

I got to the office, had the interview. He was honest about my (lack of) chances at the position, but offered to keep the resume for lower jobs. We chatted for a while. Then, I visited an old acquaintance of mine, who set up two interviews with other very helpful people around the company. Unfortunately, both the interviews were not exactly right - one, the position was probably already taken, and the other was for a job I would have HATED if I'd taken it for the foot in the door. The interviewers both were very cheery about my prospects beyond these positions, however. I ran into one of the interviewers afterwards, and he mentioned something off of my resume, which meant he'd actually read it! But I did leave the company feeling depressed and useless, since I hadn't actually interviewed for a real position, and my mom did the quasi-wail of despair on the phone when she heard I'd not been offered anything yet. I bought a custard-filled donut at the Krispy Kreme and took the train home.

Where I found a job offer, from the first company I'd interviewed with, sitting cheerfully in my inbox. I'm fairly sure I'm going to take it. Now I just need to figure out how to tell my acquaintance that his efforts were not needed...

In the bottle: Earthy spice

First on: Sort of a spicy incense, lots of cinnamon!

Drydown: This reminds me of Volcano Foot Mask by Lush. It's cinnamon-y and slightly earthy.

Overall/effects: I wore this for a series of job interviews that I didn't get, and I was beginning to get very frustrated until I got a call back from a place I applied at months beforehand and got a job within a week or so!

I never used Gainful Employment with a purpose or any intent, so this is a scent review only. To my nose, this was definitely spicy... a medicinal clove and sharp cinnamon. Too medicinal for me to want to wear it, and it gave my wrists that burning sensation that too much cinnamon often brings on.

I got this as part of a decant circle, and I'm glad I did.

Scent-wise, it is very clovey, with cinnamon and nutmeg. It reminds me of those spice dolls we used to make in Brownies. I would wear this as a perfume, at least in the winter (it's heavy).

However, this is a TAL oil, and ultimately we all want to know: does it do what we hope it will do?

I applied for a receptionist/administrator job at a holistic spa. I annointed a green candle the night before the interview and imagined myself wowing the manager and generally being very charming and impressive. I wore it like any perfume to the interview itself, not being at all stingy (to be on the safe side) and the manager and I had a nice raport and things went well.

I had my second interview today and wore GE again, in the same fashion. She told me I was the only candidate she called back and there was just something about me, she couldn't get me out of her head.

To cut the the chase: the job, she is MINE!

So, I definitely recommend any job seekers to give this a shot. Now I just need a TAL oil that will help me stay employed.

Been meaning to review this oil for a while now...

LOVE Gainful Employment! :) :P :D :D

Not because of it's scent, but because it worked for me and my family!

Story: DH has been in and out of work for about 5 years. It's been very difficult for him to find something that pays enough and that he enjoys. Somehow, we've been surviving (with me as a sahm). In December of 2006, we decided that I needed to go back to work as a teacher (something I was loathe to do). In Jan. I started my teaching position. In Feb. DH started a job that paid the bills but made him miserable. Over the summer, DH started sending out resumes and seriously looking for a new job. I really, really wanted him to find something that paid enough for me to stay home again. In July, I discovered BPAL and was immediately hooked and intrigued. I ordered Gainful Employment and Charisma (among other things). Every night for 2-3 weeks (during all the sets of interviews) I would annoint an orange candle with GE, just focusing on the best possible scenario for DH and the jobs. I'm brand new at oils/candles/rituals so I kind of just did my own thing. I annointed DH's chakras with Charisma for each interview.

long story a little shorter: He got a job that now pays enough for me to stay home (Nov. 7th was my last day of teaching!)...and we'll actually be able to save some each month too! Best part? He loves his job!

Thanks TAL! You literally saved my sanity and my life!!! Finding BPAL and TAL has been one of the best things to ever happen to me.

I ordered this at the beginning of the year when I was really unhappy in my old job. I made a mojo bag for myself lit by a green candle (sewing by candlelight is FUN LOL) and with various herbs and talismans in it, and then anointed it with the oil. Used it with the intent of getting a specific job; didn't get it, but got lots of other (serious) offers within a couple of days of using the oil; I am now in the happiest job I have ever had. The pay's not great, but I'm happy and that's what counts. Oddly, the talismans I used that were specific to the job I was going for have turned out to be applicable to the job I ended up getting.

Just for context, I'm not a believer in any God(desse)s, but I do believe in the power of ritual to affect one's own attitude, and of aromas to affect the mood of anyone who can smell them.

Oh, and the smell? Clean, spicy... reminds me of my friend Sandeep's mum's kitchen.

Edited by S.B.

My company was merged with another company, and as always there is talk of "savings" (=letting people go), and since no one said anything about us not having to worry, and since I'm sick and tired of looking for new work (I just started this one), I decided to go for a ritual.

I dressed a green candle with Gainful Employment, sent off a short prayer about not being laid off, and staying on in a position I like, and basically just fed all the tangled feelings and stress about the issue into the candle.

The very next day it became clear they're actually looking to hire another person rather than getting rid of people. :P

I've been unemployed for about six weeks, and kind of at my wits end regarding my chosen career and all that jazz. On Sunday, I broke down and ordered a bottle of this. On Thursday, it arrived after I got home from from a promising interview. I anointed myself and a thank you card with it, and mailed the card. When I got back from the post office, I had a voicemail from them asking if I wanted the job.

:P

Unbelievably awesome. Thank you, Lab!!! Yeah, I'd say it WORKS.

As for the smell, it's pretty strong. Lots of clove like in the perfumes Blockbuster and Voodoo. The dab I put on my chest burned a little, but other areas were not bothered by it.

OH needed some help. He is working 2 low paying jobs at all sorts of hours. One is an apprenticeship which requires him to go to college. First day of college and he is told that he can't get on for free because he has already been to university. Cue OH panicking about money, needing to quit apprenticeship to find better job.

That night I perform a ritual: I have a candle in a green glass bottle which I place on a plate with salt and basil on it. I tie a green ribbon around the candle an anoint with Gainful Employment before lighting. I ask Archangel Michael to help OH find a job that he enjoys and that pays enough to keep us comfortable.

Next morning OH goes to work to pick up his money then comes back. It turns out that after only 5 days of him working there, his boss is so impressed that he is willing to pay the £700 needed for his course!

Result: SUCCESS!!

My father has been working the same job at the same company for 18+ years. He's on the road most of the time, and he's just too old now to be straining himself like that, but young enough that he can still do an amazing job with something a little more stable and less unpredictable. Gainful Employment seemed like the perfect oil to use for him.

Scent: This smells strongly of cloves. It's worth it for the scent alone! My father is such a good sport, too. He let me dab some on his wrists and said he liked it so much, that he wondered if he could wear it even if he did get the job. :lol:

Ritual use: I anointed an orange candle and four coins in a pot of soil, then said a short prayer to the gods that they would help my father with getting his job, and if he didn't get that one, help him to find one that presented the same opportunities

Result: Just today, my father learned that he got the job he wanted!!! :D I honestly believe that GE gave out the good mojo the company needed to make their final decision.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Lab and this oil. It worked wonderfully. :joy:

I've had a decant of this for a few months and have used it with varying results.

Scent-wise: Cloves and spices.

I've anointed resumes, candles and my computer with while looking for work. I haven't had a steady job in more than a year after moving to California. I don't know if it's me, as I've been using this since about April and still haven't found work. I wore it to a couple of interviews this past week and felt that they went really well. Now to wait for results.