Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Red_Hot_Mama

Thanatos

... Dry white sandalwood and soft Siamese benzoin over a lugubrious blend of myrrh, Moroccan rose, mastic, tomb moss and a thin whiff of Greek incense.

The top note of this is the white, almost-sweet sandalwood but beneath that it is all complex incense resins. It's amazing that there are so many ways to blend the same rotation of resins into such amazingly different scents. This one is solemn, dry, aged. It's a dream for anyone that loves incense blends.

Hmm. I think this will go in my Dislike pile. It is too heady and strong for me. It smells dry and a bit old-fashioned. No thank you.

Imp: Mossy and earthy. All I can pick out is the wood and moss notes.

Wet: I just learned a valuable lesson about what I amp. Moss, apparently, because this smells like Black Annis. Which I keep calling Annie Bonnis and then thinking "something isn't right...."

Dry: If I get up close I can get the rose and wood notes. Overwhelmingly, there is moss. Lots and lots of moss.

Throw: Excessive.

Overall: I've been hankering after a sample of Zombi for a little while. I have now learned that regardless of the type of moss, the amount of moss, or just the mere whisper of moss will result in the same scent on me. So... yeah. I'm sure this is lovely. If your body isn't really into moss.

This is a very dry scent. When it's wet I can smell the moss, rather earthy, and as it dries on my skin it becomes increasingly smooth and woodsy. The rose is quite subtle and the benzoin adds a little touch of incense-spice. Somber and subdued.

Hmm...I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my nose recently but all the imps I'm picking out at random to use (until finihsed) seem to be very Meh scents on me..

Thanatos is probably the nicest of the Meh's I'm getting recently though :P

At first it's..quite a strong floral, very sweet and very powerful... there is someting else there, but it's not moss...or Sandalwood..I think it's the myrrh that's giving it a slightly darker edge. It's sweet but slightly dark.

So when it's dry...the floral in this has pretty much stomped out aything else that was there, the Myrrh is still there slightly but..no sign of anything green, or incensey which is slightly upsetting.. ah well!

ETA: Ok..I have had a few whiffs of the incencey note. But it's only appeared a few times, and this is after I've applied it a couple of times over..

I'll still use the imp up but this will be the last time we meet Thanatos!

Edited by ouch!

Apparently rose and I remain incompatible.

Step 1: Skin amps rose

Step 2: Rose goes baaaad.

Step 3: Sandalwood, et al, run for their lives.

Step 4: :P

In short: I get nothing from this but a tomb full of rotting roses.

In imp: Dry, perfumy sandalwood

Wet: More of the same, with the resins and moss way back. Rose is starting to kick into high gear. I wish I didn't amp rose so much.

Dry: Rose backed by wood

Verdict: I might have liked this blend except for the rose. It seems I share the same problem as the previous reviewer and just can't wear anything with rose. Sigh. :P

imp: this is very dry and light, almost too faint to detect any notes... i know i smell sandalwood and some dry incensey florals...

wet: rose. rose. rose incense. rose and rose.

dry: soapy rose incense. oh well.

This made me imagine a gravesite-- dry, dusty, crumbling stone. One of those reeeeeally old graves: "Here lyes Sarah Prudence Goodwife 1794-1825" or something like that.

gravestone.jpg

...Except, we always imagine cemetaries at night or in dismal circumstances. These places don't cease to exist when it's beautiful out! Thanatos makes me think of one of those graves, but then you look up and realize that it's the most gorgeous mild, perfect, sunny spring day imaginable.

It hints at something a little dark, but yet is so welcoming and inviting. Reading the inspiration for the scent, I'd say this nails it pretty well!

Funny, I had no idea there was rose in here until I read the reviews. Here is proof that I shouldn't let rose scare me off, or assume that it'll make for an unpleasantly feminine scent. This one could reeeeeally grow on me. I'll definitely end up using the entire imp and could even graduate to a bottle later. It seems like something I could reach for in all sorts of weather and moods.

Edited by mazikeen

Musky resinous incense in the imp--Wet on, it is much the same, with the sandalwood coming out a bit more. The rose lends a very subtle sweetness to it as it dries--and the potpourri effect (which is how rose usually dries on my skin) actually works here; that dry rose compliments the incense, resins, and wood quite nicely. Mostly, for me, Thanatos is just a really nice, dry, incense based scent.

This was quite a lovely surprise--it is a lot more pleasant than I was expecting and, while I am not totally in love with it, my roommate is (she took my imp). The throw is also quite good on me.

I've been trying to slowly branch out, and I was drawn to Thanatos because of its sandalwood and rose notes. Sadly, the benzoin and incense notes make this too smokey and resin-y for me to truly enjoy it. This is a perfume that smells like perfume, which is definitely not for me.

I could barely detect this at all while it was wet. It's dried down into woody, rosy myrrh. It would make a *great* incense blend, but as a perfume, nope.

In The Bottle

Thin, dusty sandalwood

On Application

Myrrh and sandalwood. Dry and woody.

Dry Down

Sweetens up a bit after 10 minutes or so but it remains thin and dusty. A little too herbal for general wear.

Rating (0-5)

In the vial: Myrrh, rose, sandalwood.

Wet: Myrrh and something else resinous. The sandalwood (or something) smells kind of sour. The rose is slowly ramping up.

One hour: In a warm damp room this smells sour and resinous on me. There's not enough myrrh and rose in it to make up for the sourness. It definitely smells dry and, somehow, stale on me. But when I went into a climate-controlled room it suddenly smelled much nicer. I could smell the rose and myrrh, and the blend seemed much better balanced. That's interesting.

Three hours: Mostly mastic and sandalwood, with a hint of rose.

Vial: Mmmmm, smokey benzoin and myrhh complimented by a touch of sandalwood. Reminds me a lot of Anne Bonny. I guess sandalwood is very pronounced on my skin.

Wet: Very smokey. The sandalwood note is more faded and the rose is coming to the foreground.

Dry: AHHHHH! Incense, incense, incense everywhere!

I'm such an incense freak that I had to like this. I'm not too sure if it's something I would wear, but I think I'll keep the imp to burn in my oil burner.

Edited by skepticism

Smoky myrrh. The rose is buried under a pile of ashes, which is just where it should be.

This one doesn't do much for me for some reason.

Wet: Heady benzoin, myrrh, sandalwood, hint of bulging juicy rose.

Dry: very lush and creamy benzoin over the rose. At this point of the rose is very faint..just enough that you know there's rose beneath it, but not enough to take over the blend(no dusty nor lemony rose here so fear not). The tomb moss and powdery-ish incense make the blend smell REALLY exotic and beautiful.....

Verdict: Smells like a bottle of very expensive perfume. Tad powdery but not over the top. Creamy and lush, I feel this scent belongs to a lady going to see the Opera![/color]

In bottle: Instantly unnerving. The rose and resins do some peculiar things. It smells sharp and over ripe. Wet: The warmth of the skin brings out the dirt. It does smell like dying roses and incense over dirt. It is not a scent I’d chose for myself, but I could see why it might work on the right woman. The incense does strengthen as it wears, but the rose is so strong, the dirt hasn’t a prayer of competing. Dry: Lots of rose with some sandalwood under it.

This one started as a sweet, root beer-like resinous blend, and end up in straight up sweet rose.

:P

Again, not a winner in my book.

In the imp and wet on the skin, a nice mellow incense. No sharp notes.

This is a great, long-lasting scent. Very masculine (even though I'm a girl, I seem to gravitate toward the masculine scents.)

I'm definitely placing this in my top 20, wear-often column.

Frimp from the ever-so-awesome angelfish323. This will not work on me, because it has rose in it. :angry:

Imp: Resin, resin, resin, and more resin. Benzoin and sandalwood and HOLY COW incense. Some moss and maybe a faint whiff of rose. Kind of sharp, kind of generic.

Wet: Soapy incense. Thanks rose. There's some sweet spice in here too, probably the benzoin, and some really nice green moss in the background. It's kind of salty, too, thanks to the myrrh. More pleasant than in the imp, but still a bit meh. After a bit the rose comes out more and, glory of glories, actually smells kinda like rose. It isn't enough to pull me into this blend, though.

Dry: This, for me, is a generic BPAL-- it would be outstanding for a commercial perfume house, but it smells just sort of like nondescript (if any BPAL can be nondescript) on me. It's a sweetly floral, woody incense with touches of warm gold. I think I might try it on the Boy, though, despite the floral I'm getting quite a masculine vibe from this.

Otherwise, swaps.

Floral, somber, purple-y in the bottle.

We on skin, still "purple" with quiet herbs in the background. Ah, and maybe a pinch of patchouli. The rose is quiet, only backing up the benzoin. Gentle, lolling, a round and complete scent. It's reminding me of Phantom Queen, but this isn't nearly as flat-out sexy. It's more...not comforting, but solid, sturdy. This is the candles lit when it's your bedtime but your parents are staying up later; the scent drift through your slightly ajar door along with the dim candlelight, their murmured voices. When you get up in the middle of the night for a glass of water, the moon greying the kitchen, you wet your hands in the sink and smell the lingering perfume. Here, the myrrh amps over time to softly melt into the rose and benzoin to be a perfectly calm and soothing scent. After a while the moss invokes a slight acetonish tinge (moss and I do not go together), which would be the only drawback to this lovely GC scent.

Thanatos would be perfect as a bedtime scent for me, no astringent lavender that's supposed to be somnolent but ends up irritating. Thanatos would be an amazing room scent too.

This started off as a pretty nondescript, spicy blend. Once it dried though, it was beautiful! I'm becoming a big fan of myrrh and the sandalwood and incense notes blended together to make a subtle, dry spice. Not bad amp-wise and seemed to have good staying power. I don't usually run into oils that morph to the extent this one did, but this imp will be going into my keeper box :)

How odd - I should like this, but on my skin I'm getting pickling spices, heavy on the dill! :blink:

Will have to try it again another day...