Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Gypsy Queen

A heavy-lidded perfume, the quintessence of beauty and power shrouded in mystery, swathed in a deep, velvet-clad cloak of dark omens: Romany incense and candle smoke mingling with an alluring, body-warmed whiff of bergamot, neroli, Bulgar rose, carnation, and amber musk.

yet another short review in the midst of sensory overload from having more parts of me covered in oil than decent: sweet floral incense. i can't really pick out anything in particular, but it reminds me of an incense basket at one of the shops in OB i randomly went into the other day, where they had rose and musk and a citrusy incense all jumbled up. i likes it, which is a little surprise because neroli and bergamot are usually misses.

I also liked Gypsy Queen a lot, though totally unexpected.

I was thinking that the components were Alice like and expected an Alice smell. I felt that there was a bit of Alice in the background, in the way that Gypsy Queen felt creamy and yummy. I would say that it has a wonderful creamy smokey quality that is just edible and sexy.

And then weirdly enough I get berries. Yes, bizarre, I can't explain it, but I have worn it three or so times now and to me, I smell creamy, slightly smokey berries.

I think I would compare this to a combination of Alice and R'lyeh if you will. R'lyeh was another "shouldn't smell fruity, but it does" scents and Alice has that delicious creaminess.

Gypsy Queen is definately a "must have one bottle of" if not more.

In the Bottle: I get the scent of sweet burning candles, I definetly get the musk and roses but also the spicey depths of the incense.

On wet: A slight floral from the rose, but deep and dark slightly smoking and waxy.

Drydown: OK this is a little odd this smells quite a bit like my CT2. The amber and the rose are mixing richly with what seems a bit like blood-orange or dragons blood its something just tinged with sweet and again that slight candle scent.

Overall: This is a deep rich scent that is great for those who like incense scents but somehow not so deep and masculine that I actually really like it and I normally stay away from those scents.

I really liked this. In the bottle it smelled like candles and florals, but there was something in it, a deeper and darker smell. On my skin I can smell the rose and incense, a very dark and smokey scent. Something you would definitely smell in a gypsy's tent while she looks in her crystal ball. This scent has alot of depth in it and I love it.

I fell in love with Gypsy Queen at first sniff - so very dark and exotic, rather like a walk through an opium den.

The incense is the most powerful note, by far, but the floral undertones give it just that much depth. This isn't a hippie-store incense, but an elegant one, smoky and romantic. The effect isn't quite masculine, but it isn't entirely feminine, at least not traditionally. This is a woman with power, one unafraid of her sexuality - one who knows that you use every tool at your disposal to make your mark.

This one makes me very glad that they extended Carnivale Noir a month - I definitely need a second bottle of it. :P

In the bottle

Ooh! It's different, more bright then I expected, must be the bergamot, it's seems like a slightly different bergamot too smelling greener or more lime or lemon smelling.

*is scared*

On

Krikey another great blend (thus far).

Oh God, this is better than Bearded lady to me, and I didn't think that would be the case. I thought it'd be a toss up.

It's funny I smell no smoke, and considering my last review (it smelled smokey on me) just now on Bearded Lady, that's pretty funny.

30 minutes

Ah shoot, ubnfortunately it loses it's brightness and dims down a bit but that's okay as it allows the powdery sweet soft carnation and finally the smokey incensey smell to proceed forward. Mmm the second phase of this scent is good.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

fruity/floral/incense

Summary

Powdery subtley sweet carnation, tangy bergamot, and neroli.

As it dries it gets a tad darker, incense, and an iota of smokiness.

I don't smell the rose nor the amber necessarily.

Purchase again?

Yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

This is a darkly bright scent (if that makes any sense). The first thing I got was a burst of tangy bergamot and neroli, followed quickly by a waft of incense. It's a fortune-teller's tent filled with candles and exotic flowers, with a bowl of fruit on the side. I can almost hear her bangles jingle. It creates an awesome mental image for me, but I think it might be a little too much bitter citrus for me to enjoy wearing often.

ETA: Upon wearing it a second time, Gypsy Queen was all gorgeous incense and rose. Beautiful, and a keeper.

Edited by Thorne

Spicey but not cinnamon to start and a touch of floral in neroli and the spice of carnation. This is another subtle, close to the skin scent for me but I adore it. As it wears on, it turns smokey and incensey, still a touch of spice but more sweetly smokey. This is dark and mysterious and a great evening scent at the dry down. Exotic. Love it. (Carnivale Noir and I are getting along much better than I did with Cthulu. Yay!)

In bottle:

Oddly bitter/tangy deep note - makes me think of Queen of Clubs

On me:

That bergamot and rose is mixing to make an oddly citrusy floral note with a touch of powder. Despite that, this scent is rather dark I think and has a lot of depth. It's definitely got warmth and is a bit intoxicating I feel. This is overall very incensy in the vibe it gives off. After a while in the drydown phase, it's light and still like incense with a bite. I think a guy could definitely get away with wearing this. I have to say that this smells exactly like Queen of Clubs did on me. It's not unpleasant, it's just not really for me. Interesting though, no doubt.

Final note:

Very interesting, incensey scent

At the edge of the Carnaval, where the last tents and lean-tos meet the beginning of the untrammeled grass, you will find the faded purple tent of the Gypsy Queen, unmarked save for a small hand-lettered sign dripping from a weathered metal chain. As you pull aside the spotted purple velvet and step inside, your vision goes blank for a moment, adjusting to the deep darkness. Inside, a hundred candles and votives with dancing, restless wicks fill the air with the scent of tallow and smoke. A fiddle and a goblet with a bit of burgundy left in it sit on a narrow sideboard. The velvet drape falls behind you, and the daylight let in from outside vanishes in an instant.

It is a moment before you see the Gypsy Queen herself, sitting at a tapestry-covered table, her eyes fixed upon you under heavy, kohl-rimmed lids. She rises to take your coin, and as she moves, her skirts release the held odors of dark rose, amber, musk, and bergamot---like an incense in which each note succumbs to the sleepy power of the smoke. She inspects your coin, turns it over in the dim light. When she is certain that you have paid dearly for the truth, she pulls a orange handkerchief, weighted at each corner with copper fretwork, from the crystal ball on her table. Although you see nothing in the glass, her eyes alight…

I love the smell of candles and Gypsy Queen is the scent of candles and incense mingled with an incredibly well-blended floral. To me, it smells like The Caterpillar meets Spellbound meets candle smoke. It’s incredibly seductive. I will definitely be buying another bottle before the Carnaval ends.

Gypsy Queen

You know how in the Harry Potter series Professor Trelawny's room is described as being hot and heavily perfumed? This scent is her room. (Sorry, I have Harry Potter on the brain, seeing as how I've been rereading the series.) It's exactly what the description says it is: Romany incense, candle smoke, and body-warmed perfume notes. Very evocative. I can't see myself actually wearing this, though, as it's not, at the end of the day, very "me." But that's okay, it's going to a good home.

P.S. This has the same kind of feel as both Ouija and Seance. It doesn't smell much like either, but it has the same feel.

Edited by riddel

In the bottle: A little sweet, but not quite flowery or fruity, just a little sweet.

On the skin: It immediately morphs into something dark and spicy. I'm getting a lot of incense, and just a touch of amber. This is exactly what you'd expect to smell like if you walked into a palm reader's tent at the carnival.

30 minutes later: Exact same scent. No morphing, just the same spicy incense. I'll be ordering two more bottles of this.

Edit on 7/12/07 to add: OK, wow. When I bought this two years I wore it constantly for the first few months because I was so in love with it. I burned out a little on it from wearing it so much, but I didn't swap any of it away because I figured I'd come back to it. I put it on this morning for the first time in probably a year, and wow has it gotten better with age. It's still just as dark and spicy as ever, but there's an edge to it now. Almost a dark floral type of undertone. It's very sexy. I'm in love all over again.

Edited by Chas

All I can smell with this one is cinnamon (carnations smell like cinnamon to me so that may be what it is) and neroli. The scent is semi-strong and it's pleasant enough, I suppose. I'm not keeping my bottle though because it's not quite remarkable enough.

First Impression: Incense and lots of it.

Second Impression: Gypsy Queen is heavy on the incense, not the burning incense smoke, but the actual sticks, cones and powder. Resinous, powdery and a bit spicy, I'm also getting what is reminding me of La Petit Mort, perhaps that the "body warmed" bit. The neroli, rose and carnation are blending rather than vying for attention. I don't get any bergamot. Lots of amber here, warm and powdery.

Final Analysis: Incense and amber lovers take note. You need Gypsy Queen.

Hurrah, the Queen's caravan has arrived! She comes in her lovely amber bottle with the special label, so worthy of gypsy-tent decor everywhere. :P I had already promised decants to three people--one Forumite plus my lovely Gypsy mother and sister, so I may have to order another bottle. For now, I still have enough to savor.

Gypsy Queen is the best of all rich, deep notes--a swirl of incense floating over a spicy floral bouquet, with a sexy musk base note. Different notes keep wafting up to me--now it's carnation, now neroli. This is for the woman who wants to smolder in thick eyeliner, sheer draperies, and heavy heirloom jewelry. The perfect evening scent--incensy floriental--but possibly also a daytime scent for those with enough glamor to pull it off. Mmmm. Makes me want to get in touch with my Bohemian roots. :D

Edited by Laurel the Woodfairy

I like Gypsy Queen quite a bit, it really does have that candle smoke smell at first. The incense notes remind me of the incense in Athens and Cairo and the myrrh comes out the strongest in the drydown. The other notes kind of swirl around in the background and it's really hard to pick them out individually. I will probably end up swapping this scent though since the strong myrrh disagrees with my boyfriend and friends. Even though I like it, I won't want to wear it around anyone and listen to their complaints. :P

Yes! A CN scent that works! Glad I got 2 bottles of this.

I scribbled down some notes while testing this, I was too distracted sniffing for any more than that. :P

In the bottle: Definitely a gypsy tent, dark, mysterious, evocative.

Wet: Strongly feminine (no delicate florals or whispiness here). Spicy, smoky, powerful.

Drydown: Rich, lovely, a dull warmth like a shot of brandy (not in the alcoholness, but in the spreading warmth through your body, this is that sensation perfumified).

Finally: Absolutely gorgeous. I can't pick out any notes (except maybe dragon's blood?) but it's all rich velvets, silk veils, gloomy crystal balls and jangly gold jewelry.

Yumtastic.

I got a chance to try this recently (thanks!), and it is exactly as described. I get a sweet musky incense with a hint of candle smoke in the background. It is very much a "perfume", and exudes that sense of mystery, shadows and intimacy that a Gypsy Queen would.

That said, I don't think it is really a "me" scent. It is lovely, heady, voluptuous, but there is a nose-tickler in there also, and I know I would not reach for this often. I may keep my imp, or I may pass it on to someone else. I do think if you like Scherezade, Bastet or Sacred Whore, there is a good chance you would like this too.

Gypsy Queen: This is a very nice blend that has this exotic antiquish aroma to it. :D When first applied I do get the incense, Bulgar rose and Amber musk. This blend is gorgeous are has the right name. :P

i was iffy about ordering GQ because of the rose, but couldn't pass up the carnation and bergamot notes!

at first, GQ is very sharp to my nose. surprisingly so. i expected it to be softer. must be the musk (my skin turns some musk bitter)

after a few minutes, the sharp scent quiets down, and i get a citrusy scent. . . ???. . . i think maybe that's a combination of the bergamot and rose. but its a nice scent. and the carnation is peaking around in there, too. . but quietly.

after about 30 minutes, the carnation comes out more strongly. and then everything starts to meld together. it gets a bit powdery on me (amber, mayhaps) but the clearer notes - rose, bergbamot and carnation, - keep it from going too soft.

then it takes yet ANOTHER turn, :P and i get the neroli. . .worrisome at first, because neroli goes funky on me - like rotting petals. but not so in GQ. i just get the white floral.

overall, this is a very intriquing blend.all the notes come out so clearly at different times on me. and then it settles into a sweet, smokey, and very sultry, scent.

almost like magic.

i will keep my bottle. probably won't go for a second, tho.

I LOVE this one :P :D

From the bottle it smelled like slightly sweet incense. Something very comforting to me about it.

I applied it to my inner arms and some other areas :D, as well as a dab on the inside of my shirt. I smelled great this morning!

As it dried, I get more of the incense smell on my skin. Still sweet, but not as much and spicier than before (carnation?). On my shirt though, all I really get is the sweetness of flowers.

It wafts quite a bit though, so in combination it stays true to the bottle.

I adore this and must get another bottle before she leaves town!

Gypsy Queen is a very sweet, full-bodied, floral incense fragrance that has a rather interesting journey on it's way to the drydown.

It starts out quite incensey, with a touch of the lovely sharpness of fresh carnation in the topnote. As it dries, the myrrh really pushes forward on my skin. I was a bit worried about this stage, as myrrh does strange things with my chemistry, but this note tames down considerably in just a few minutes.

The base of this perfume is quite floral, honey-sweet and rich, and just a teeny bit soapy.

At no point do I get the candle wax others have noticed, or any smokiness.

I love this blend and I'm planning to purchase a bottle before it goes away.

a review of Gypsy Queen

Vial ~ sweet with the smell of florals and incense. Definitely picking

out the bulgar rose the most.

Wet ~ oddly enough on my wrist it smells a bit like tobacco leaf, sweet

with the green smell of flowers yet to bloom.

Drying ~ the rose is starting to fade, there is still this sweetness to it

but it is in no way cloying at all.

Dry ~ powerdry sweet incense. It is so apropos to the name of the scent.

I feel as tho I am in the chamber of a fortune teller awaiting to be told

my future.

Fade ~ I have had this on my wrist now for over a half hour, still going

strong, although it does not have alot of throw.

Final thoughts ~ I love this one, even it is sweet. One thing I have

learned from trying different bpal scents that I am not confined to

liking one family of scents. I would have never have thought that a

floral could be comforting, but this one comes across as one. But on the

same token it is very sexy also.On a scale of 1 to 5, I would give it a

Edited by Sistinas

In the bottle, this smells very dark, thick, and somewhat bitter.

On my skin, it stays dark and thick, but becomes very smoky with the sweetness of rose and orange in the background.

As I smell it more, I can definitely say that it's hard to categorize. It's incense, smoke, darkness, fruit, florals, musk, and spice all blended very well together. It's not choking or overwhelming, and I feel very compelled to keep sniffing it.

If I had to describe this in one word, it would be "dangerous." And that is a good thing.