Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
spark

Himerus

The God of Sexual Desire, Longing and Yearning; an attendant of Eros and Aphrodite. A passion-rousing blend of juniper, sandalwood, rosewood, red musk, orchid, bergamot and lilac.

In the bottle:
Ooh! Sweetened bergamot, lovely!

On me:
Right away, I liked this. Finally, a BPAL blend in which I can SMELL lilac!! *rejoices*
Lilac isn't the prominent note however. I swear this smells just like cherry pipe tobacco. I know tobacco isn't listed, but that's what it smells like! Even my Mom sniffed it and said, "That makes me think of when my Dad would smoke cherry pipe tobacco". Underneath that warmth though and the sweet red musk, is a lovely, bright and slightly sweet floral. It's all bergamot and lilac and it makes for a really unusual partner to the tobacco and musk scents I'm getting. It's lovely!

Final note:
This is lovely and unusual, and a definite keeper! Edited by Shollin

In Bottle: Industrial cleaner

On Skin: The lilac screams at me. The other florals are a bit more subtle. Although there are 3 strong woods in this, they play smaller roles and don’t overtake the scent. The orchid offers a nice elegant floral note and the bergamot is a little bitter and dry. The red musk is light as well, but is softly warming the scent. I like th combination, it was quite sharp and pungent at first, but after five minutes the scents blend together and create something quite pretty. I can see this being gender neutral but would prefer it on a man. Not a bad scent at all but it doesn’t have anything that sticks out about it enough to warrant it as a keeper in my book.

Wow, Himerus is pretty nice. It isn't a scent that I would wear for myself, but it is a soothing herbal. I'm actually going to push this one onto my boyfriend. I think it would be very good on him, even though it is a bit fruity. I'm glad the Lab included this little gift with my order!

This disappeared minutes after I applied it. I guess I can smell the slightest bit of remnants of the red musk and maybe lilac, but it's almost entirely gone. All I smell is my skin now.

I received this scent as a frimp from the Lab :P

In the vial: woodsy and sweet bergamot.

Wet: woodsy, bergamot, and lush tropical floral.

Dry: This scent is kind of masculine on me, but I like it anyway. I think this scent would be fantastic on a man and I will try it in my scent lockets.

In the bottle - Very soft red musk with the lilac behind it.

Wet on me - The predominant is the almost berriness of the juniper. On the whole it's a light, green scent.

Dry on me - It becomes more and more candy like, before fading to a soft creaminess that bearly sits on my skin.

My nose has a long way to go in sorting out scents. This one struck me as similar to Caterpillar although the listed ingredients are altogether different. It is well balanced, it doesn’t strike me as woodsy, but maybe the orchid is running rampant. The general impression is dark and sweet. Not a favorite.

Himerus came as a freebie from the lab; I sniffed it upon arrival and wasn't really excited by it and had others I really, really needed to try quickly, so the imp sat around waiting till tonight

when daughter asked "so, what's this one?" and I said, truly, I don't know what's in it at all, maybe I should try (daughter was happily wearing Perversion and not about to mix it up).

In the imp it smelled to me of something both citric and green (daughter, smelling over my shoulder so to speak, said "mint" but I didn't think so). It was a familiar fragrance, and I had that "I know your name, but please forgive me, I don't recall it right now" feeling. As on the first day I wasn't really terribly impressed, but--why not try

So, put a bit on both wrists. Oh, nice...woody and sweet and spicy. I am finding I really, really love wood and spice scents (and I once thought I was a floral soul). I do love sandalwood, and my skin takes sandalwood and just sort of hugs and releases it. A mutual love affair to be sure.

After about a half hour it settles to a sweeter and slightly creamier scent.

At this point I checked the actual notes, and had my usual surprise (though I got the sandalwood). I guess I don't know what orchids smell like; I didn't smell lilac, perhaps the juniper and bergamont were the green/mint/citric feeling in the begining.

I like this a lot.

In the imp and wet on my skin, I am able to smell every note in the blend. I am hit with bursts of sweet sandalwood and rosewood, a puff of stringent juniper and an eddy of beautiful florals.

As Himerous dries down, the different notes start to mingle and mesh and now I am not able to pick out single notes except for the end note of juniper which now, is not bitter or stringent - it is a sweetened juniper.

Completely dried down, Himerous reminds me of laying in a mountain meadow. I do realize that most of these notes do not belong in a meadow but if I close my eyes, I can see myself in a certain meadow that I have hiked to. I smell the sun warmed sweet juniper and a soft floral in the breeze.

Himerus is absolutely gorgeous and a big suprise to me. I was for certain that with the juniper, this would go straight to swaps but as I said, it is a breezy, light, sweet juniper that mingles with the rest of the notes to give you a nice spring scent. This is going on my 5ml. list.

Bottle: juniper, woods, and bergamot. very masculine.

Wet: juniper, sandalwood, and bergamot are joined by the musk. no hint of the florals yet.

Dry: hints of lilac behind the woods. the musk isn't much taking off, unfortunately, as that would round this out nicely.

Later: very quick fade on me. all woods and musk at this point, juniper nearly gone. erg.

i wish i had better things to say about this scent, but on me, it was decidedly mediocre. i got the imp as a freebie in a swap (thanks!) and i had no idea of the description.

on me it was all light bergamont, followed by a decidedly funky musky tangy smell, and then nothing.

i used to think that all musks were bad on me, but i've discovered some aren't. whatever the one is in this, is on the "not great" side.

ah well. luckily, it's BPAL so i have about a billion other scents that are teh sexay on me :P

n.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Weird.

Preconceived notions: Given its notes, I highly doubt this will work for me, but I'll try it anyway.

In the imp: Lilac, juniper and red musk. Not good so far.

On skin, wet: Hello, juniper! My, my, you are a strong one, aren't you? Strong, sharp juniper, musky and dry, and just a wee bit floral.

On skin, dry: Floral, musky, sour and heavy on the juniper. This is very weird; I don't like the combination of notes at all, not least of all because I don't even dig any of the notes on their own.

Conclusion/Notes: Eh, no. I'm not surprised, but it happened into my hands, so I had to try it.

Edited by Aredhel

Received this as a frimp from the Lab, and I wasn't sure whether I'd like it or not, as it has a mix of notes I usually like (red musk, bergamot, sandalwood) and notes I usually don't (orchid, lilac - I like actual lilacs, but not most perfume oils based on them).

But overall it's not bad at all... Not about to become a favourite, but it's a pretty nice scent. I don't really perceive it as all that passion-rousing, but it's a nice mix of spicy, musky and sweet notes, and one I could see working equally well on a man or a woman.

Don't know that I'll keep it, though -- as my collection grows, a scent needs to be more than just pretty good for me to hang onto it.

Grade: B-

A generous gift from my Spring Switch Witch lexile! :P

I think I had this wishlisted because of the sandalwood and red musk, which I have since discovered makes me think of manly berries.

At first (in the bottle and wet) this is surprisingly fruity. Fruity and almost tropical (more pineappley than coconutty). This effect dissipates quickly and is replaced with what I have come to know as "old skool BPAL".

I know that's very unhelpful as we all cut our teeth on different BPAL blends, but this one is definitely conjuring my first brush with BPAL almost two (!) years ago.

There's a dark, musky sweetness backed by the dry incense/wood, with a top tinge of the bergamot (which comes off as a non-pledgey lemon just this side of BO... a very fine balance that is jointly compelling and repelling).

I'm feeling very sensuous, mysterious, and sexually aggressive right now, so this is probably not a good "work scent". I don't know if it's even a good seduction scent. This is more something I would wear for my own pleasure and Pleasure (ifyouknowhatimean, nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more).

Himerus - the only notes that are revealed on my skin are that of orchid and lilac, which means this is a pleasant scent on me. I can imagine if the juniper, sandalwood or rosewood showed up on me, it would be a completely different (unpleasant) story. It’s sweet and reminds me of springtime, but very subtle and stays very close to the skin, although it does last for a good long while.

Procured: Frimp

In the imp: Woodsy and lilac, a little sweet

On skin, wet: Sandlewood, maybe a hint of musk. Warm,earthy w/ a touch of menthol in the background

On skin, dry: >1hr. sweet and soapy...very faded and hard to detect on my wrist.

I tried this because I really like orchid and I love sandalwood. I was hoping to smell a bit more of the wood notes, but this is a very beautiful creation. The lilac and orchid are both in balance with the wood and the bergamot keeps it from becoming too sweet from the lilac. I love musk and the red musk in Himerus adds a creamy sexiness to the whole. I wish that it was a bit stronger as there is little throw and it really is more of a skin scent. This is one that I would consider ordering a bottle of and slathering. I can see wearing a lot of this in the winter and when going out at night.

6 hours later - This just gets better and better. It is stronger now and a deep rich, heady, musky orchid scent.

Edited by portalkat

These are not the woods I expected. Perhaps that's the rosewood or white sandalwood. I smell a little bit of that cedar pencil smell underneath. Now the orchid comes out to play. This is lovely!

In the imp: lots of bergamot and juniper and a trace of lilac.

On me, wet: hmm, still a lot of bergmot and lilac, but the woods are showing through a bit now. I can feel the red musk more than I can actually smell it, but it's definitely in there somewhere.

On me, dry: Rosewood tends to go a bit powdery on me, but mostly that's masked by the warmth of the sandalwood and the musk, and by the sweet sharpness of bergamot and lilac.

Verdict: This is nice - slightly confused, in that it can't decide if it wants to be warm or sharp or sweet or all three at once, but nice. Fades fast, and a bit powdery after a bit, so I'll probably just swap it onwards.

Wet this is herbal with a resinous bite. When first on this smells like a meadow with hay and wildflowers, sweet and herbal. It reminds me a bit of Beltane. After about ten minutes a honey note develops. This becomes a honeyed floral blend on me (which is funny because there's no honey listed in the blend). This dries down to a close to the skin scent- quite nice and I'll definitely use up the imp.

in bottle and on skin: wood. lots of wood. on the skin the wood is just amped up. hoping florals and bergamot comes in to play soon. oddly i cannot smell the horrid red musk that my skin hates.

a bit later (5 mins or so): i think i can smell juniper. a bit better. the wood is toned down a bit. yay.

5 more mins: juniper is gone. all i get is wood.

i don't like wood scents and i thought i gave this one to vampy, so i'm not sure why i kept it. it'll stay with me so i can blend some florals with it. not going to get a big bottle, but it is a nice wearable wood scent, not one that makes me want to throw it across the room. lol :P

straight sniff from imp is sweet and resinous...lovely!

once applied i get a lot of musk and lilac with a pinch of bergamot...unique

and pretty :P

after 15-30 minutes i detect a hint of sandalwood...i will hang onto this

imp and wear it from time to time...it's quite nice, indeed :D

You know, I actually thought I was going to like this one, but the overall effect is rather chemically, which smells like a combination of the juniper and the lilac. I'm not getting sandalwood anywhere, and there's no musk, either.

In the bottle, this smells heavily of juniper with just a hint of light florals. Once it’s on the skin, I’m assuming that the floral is the orchid, because lilac usually amps very heavily on me, and this does not.

After a while this morphs into a very woody scent with just a slight overtone of soap. The juniper is still the strongest note for me.

All in all, I really like this blend, but I don’t think I’ll be buying a big bottle of this one any time soon: it smells VERY much like Wings of Azrael when I wear it, so I’ll probably just keep wearing WoA when I get on a Juniper kick and avoid that soapy/clean scent (because we all know that being a goddess of sexual desire isn’t conducive to smelling like soap. :P ).

Hm, this is an interesting blend. On my skin it is very incensy, reminiscent of Midnight Mass, Pit & The Pendulum and possibly a little of Cathedral. I do not know why, because none of these notes are quite the same as in those blends. Most likely it is the juniper...anyway...

After a while this settles down to an incense + bergamot and lilac. It is an interesting smell, and while I go for some masculine scents (St Germain, Doc Constantine, etc...), this one seems decidedly uber masculine on my skin. It's like a guy's version of Cathedral or something...

A very nice scent overall, just not for me. Glad I tried it, though!