Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blood*rose*flowers

Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer

Sensual, sibilant, sexual and hypnotic: Arabian musk and exotic spices slinking through Egyptian amber, enticing vanilla, and a serpentine blend of black plum, labdanum, ambrette, benzoin and black coconut.

First impression in the bottle is Snake Oil but with a tiny hint of mustiness or maybe musk. Once on it stays pretty much like Snake Oil but this is a little sweeter with something like melted sugar - kind of a mix between Snake Oil and Sugar Skull. I rather wish I got a bit more of the coconut or fruitiness that others have mentioned but on me it doesn't get much depth. I'll have to give it another try to see if I want to hold onto it since it's pretty similar to Snake Oil to my nose.

In the bottle- less syrupy vanilla than Snake Oil but there's amber in its place.

On my skin- whoa, amber ahoy. Amber smells heavily like incense to me so this smells like someone burning Snake Oil-scented incense in a headshop. That's not a bad thing, it's actually very slinky.

Drying- The overbearing amber fades more into the background. I smell the coconut and plum peeking out as well. They're very subtle, but definitely add something to the blend.

In conclusion? I actually like this one better than Snake Oil and Snake Oil is one of my dearest blends. I love vanilla, but the other notes in this one just make it even more irrestistable. This is my favorite Carnaval Noir scent by far! I will be buying many multiples.

ETA: I'm not sure if this is the right forum, as I'm not sure if my bottle is Snake Charmer or House of Mirrors. Mods, help!

Wet: hmm, buttery and coconutty, like Chaste Moon but without the pineapple, or Snake Oil without the play-dough (sorry!)

Drydown: Lovely and warm, perfect for chilly weather. It gets warmer as time passes and lasts a long time, which is rare with my skin.

Overall: I love this! But I'm wondering if this is mislabled with Snake Charmer, because that smells just like the description for HoM and vice versa...

Oro

This is really Snake Charmer --Shollin

Edited by Shollin

Snake Charmer is so delicious and sexy, I absolutely want to drink it every time I open the bottle. To me, it definitely is reminscent of the Queen of Spades, but it's mostly an 'enhanced' Snake Oil with some unexpected ooomph. The plum and coconut really rachet up the sexpot factor.

I see more bottles of Snake Charmer in my future. It definitely charmed me!

I got my bottle of Snake Charmer yesterday and it's definitely Snake Charmer, it smells just like the description. I was worried about the plum, another fruit that doesn't play nice with me, and it did kind of scream on my skin at first. Then after about 10 minutes, the other creamy notes, the musk and the spices all come out and this scent becomes truly hypnotic. I even get the tiniest hint of coconut but if I hadn't seen it in the description I probably wouldn't have picked it out so if coconut scares you, still give this one a try. The only problem is that the plum comes back later on. It's not too bad but I have a feeling this is a scent that I won't want to wear very much because of it. It's so weird, this is a scent I could go either way on - order another bottle or swap it away. I'll wait to decide.

Preconceived notions:

Snake Charmer sounds like the love child of Snake Oil and Queen of Spades (both of which I love). If it lives up to that, this is going to be an instant favorite. :D

First sniff:

Oh, God, this is the love child of Snake Oil and QoS! This is so utterly gorgeous I can't even begin to describe it. I smell plum and vanilla and coconut and spice and a gorgeous background of musk that gives it the most amazing depth. I thought Geek would be my favorite of the Carnaval Noir scents, but even it can't beat Snake Charmer. :D

Wet on skin:

As soon as this hits my skin, it turns into pure Snake Oil, with all the plum and coconut disappearing into thin air and leaving that musky, spicy vanilla scent that I love so much. I really wish the plum and coconut hadn't disappeared since I'm hopelessly in love with Queen of Spades and wanted something to replace it when I run out, but this is beautiful anyway. :D

Dry down:

The plum's making a slight comeback now, but it's still not nearly as strong as I'd like it to be. On the dry down, Snake Charmer is a soft musky vanilla scent with a hint of plum and coconut to it. I'm somewhat convinced that my hormones are throwing it out of whack and that if I try it again later the plum will come out in full force, but even if it doesn't, I really love this. :P

The bottom line:

If Snake Oil and Queen of Spades had a baby, Snake Charmer would be it. Sexy, sensual and hypnotic. I love it!

Warm and spicey, definitly exotic, but there's a touch of something to this that really unsettles me. Incredibly well-blended I have a hard time identifying any single note out of this. The amber and vanilla were prevalent when I put it on, but the spice has really started to come out in the dry down. I don't get anything plum like or coconut like at all, but it's still warm and sexy. Very nice, not quite mem but still very nice.

Snake Charmer

In the imp: spicy, sweet and exotic. A bit plummy as well. Reminiscent of Snake Oil (yup, it's Snake Charmer all right!) but more exotic and fruity.

Wet on skin: still a gorgeous scent of plum, spices, amber and a bit of musk. It's like Snake Oil, but upgraded.

Dry on skin: omg, this is so beautiful! It's so sensual, sexy, and exotic! A heady sweet scent of all sorts of wonderful fragrances mingling together. There's juicy plum and dark vanilla and just a hint of coconut, sweet glowing amber and a sexy musk scent, plus an assortment of warm spices-I swear that one of the spices is cinnamon, as this reminds me a bit of Sin as well as Snake Oil.

After a while: the blend has sweetened and smoothed out a lot-but the good thing is that the vanilla isn't amping up to cloying levels in this-it stays stable and mixes nicely with the amber, musk and coconut and also hints of the spices.

Verdict: this is like Snake Oil, but updated and improved. A wonderful, magnificent scent, so exotic, spicy and slinky. There's a great assortment of notes here-from fruity plum to sweet amber and vanilla, warm, precious spices and musk. This is so beautiful, complex and rich. And another good thing-with Snake Oil, the vanilla took over all the other notes. The vanilla in here doesn't do that. All the scents are so nicely balanced to create this sexy, mysterious scent. Fantastic work, Beth!

I'm getting more of a Dragon's Milk vibe from this, rather than Snake Oil per se. i.e. vanilla that is sweet, fruity and rich in a sort of honeyed way.

Other times I've worn it, I've been overwhelmed by the fig plum (which doesn't like me) that wears away slowly, but today it's just pure aged Dragon's Milk without the plastic note dragon's blood turns to on me.

I absolutely have to have a bottle of this, as I get the feeling that it if it's this gorgeous fresh, it will be out of this world once it has aged for a few months...

:yay: for more of the lab's splendiferous vanilla note - may we see it often :P

Edited by Galen

I think this should be a non LE keeper! It is really a decadent, rich fragrance. I notice the plum (lightly) and amber and perhaps a bit of coconut. It's sexy, earthy and spicy. I am glad that I added this bottle to my order at the last minute.

Snake Charmer in bottle: smells like Snake Oil.

on: A slightly sweeter Snake Oil...the spices are the same, but I think I can smell the plum and coconut under them. It's still extremely similar, though. As it dries, the coconut comes out briefly and there's a phase where it reminds me of Perversion, then it goes back to Snake Oil.

I like this, but I already have a bottle of Snake Oil, so I might swap it to someone whose skin brings out the other notes more.

Going on wet Snake Charmer smells like Snake Oil but with a slight herby or medicinal edge. On the dry down however and a few hours later, it smells like.. Snake Oil. I really couldn't tell the difference between the two and since I already have a bottle of Snake Oil will probably be swapping this. Was really hoping for more of the plum :P

Incidentally, it seems to be as long lasting and have about the same throw as Snake Oil. I was just in the shop and this guy turned round and said to me "that's a really nice perfume". I was standing about 3 feet away from him! The first compliment I've ever received from a complete stranger. Hmm maybe I should keep it after all... :D

In the bottle: spicy vanilla - almost like a cinnamon bun

On my skin: Spicy vanilla -there's almost no change from what I smell in the vial to what is on my skin. I've never smelled Q0C or Snake Oil so I've got nothing to go on with this one. Its very sticky sweet on me almost like burning brown sugar. I have to go wash it off.

In general: It really doesn't do anything for me. I couldn't stand the burning sugar smell and had to scrub off my arm. I'm disappointed, but releaved that I didn't buy a 5ml of this by the description because it doesn't work with my chemistry at all.

I passed on Snake Oil after I tried it because the vanilla was too strong and my bf said it smelled like Play-doh (his words, not mine...he wasn't aware that others have reported that phenonemon). But I knew there was something in it that I liked and wished I could wear it.

And here it is. And it's called Snake Charmer!! Even though I dislike vanilla and coconut they are so well blended in with the other ingredients, they come out as a nice, full, slightly sweet incensy blend on me. And I love plum with a passion...that adds just a touch of earthy sweetness to this even though I can't pick it out on its own.

Amber and musk in general go well together on me and they really sing in harmony with the other notes. My usual hated coconut works in this as well, and it's not just making me smell like sunblock. Coconut blends are especially bad on me when they dry down and I feel like I can never get them off of me. This, on the other hand, just becomes more lovely with every passing moment...the amber and musk simmer gentle and it's more and more of an exotic, slightly spicy sweet incense. The kind you might smell swirling from a colorful, decorated tent in a desert town with piles of pillows and tapestries.

Since this is my answer to Snake Oil I wouldn't mind having an extra bottle in reserve even though I use oils very sparingly.

in the vial: spicy and sweet fruits, it is very viscous, and dark in color (yes like i expected it to be

wet: wow, sweeeeeeeet, vanilla amber, and some spice.no fruit, no coconut

dry: yup snake oil's teenage sister. i wonder if this will age as nicely as snake oil, i must not use it all in on sitting so i can find out for sure :D i *think* this is a tad more vanilla then snake oil has, and it is lighter on the "spice" it is a bit more innocent then snake oil, but it is sexy still, the plum is ever so light sometimes i miss it. and coconut usually goes plastic upon touching my skin. it does not in this blend. altho i can't say i actually detect coconut anyway.

gah how am i gonna choose what to order more of. i will end up w/ 2 whole oddieties at this rate :P

First Impression: This smells like Snake Oil.

Dries down to: Very similar to Snake Oil but much richer and deeper. It feels like there's amber giving it the richness. After a while, the coconut comes out but very quietly, and it's holding something fruity by the hand.

Additional Comments: Because of the House of Mirrors/Snake Charmer mix-up, I was lucky to get two imps of Snake Charmer. I love Snake Oil (I ordered a 10mL bottle of it recently - my first 10mL) and these imps will be a nice complement. If I hadn't ordered the Snake Oil, I would definitely be ordering a 5mL of Snake Charmer. This is a near perfect scent for me.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

a review of Snake Charmer

Vial ~ sweet incense, vanilla, and just a bit of plum

Wet ~ definitely picking up the musk and amber, I can see how many refer to

this as Snake Oil lite.

Drying ~ Still lots of musk and amber, the plum is starting to come out

stronger and it compliments the other scents wonderfully. I am sure the

coconut is there, but it is faint on me (thankfully). The vanilla is coming

out more too, it is a sexy, intriguing scent.

Dry ~ Now it is more fruity than anything, the amber and musk have taken

second stage, but there is still traces of sweet vanilla and if I really

look for it, the slightest trace of tobacco.

Fade ~ It is fading more into the vanilla, I am sure the plum is there,

but it is not as blatant as it was earlier. There is this golden honeyness

scent to it also.

Final thoughts ~ While the scent has beeen compared often to Snake oil and

admittedly there are some smiliarities. But this one is unique in its

addition fo plum and of course the drydown it totally different, more

honeyish, than vanilla. On a scale of 1 to 5, I would give it a 4.

Edited by Sistinas

This will be short and sweet.

In the bottle, on skin(both just applied and after a couple of hours)...Snake Oil. A deeper, richer, aged Snake Oil. BEAUTIFUL!!

I ordered multiples of this because it sounded like I would love it and boy do I ever love it!! It reminds me of Aureus moreso than Snake Oil....although I do smell the similiarties to Snake Oil. This is smoother than Snake Oil. I hardly detect any plum in this and I get no coconut....although I don't know if black coconut smells like regular coconut. This is heavenly. I believe someone once descirbed Aureus as someone putting Cherubs in a blender and putting them on "frappe" and that is this scent. It is golden, warm, smooth and just lovely. This definitely is the Star of the Carnivale in my eyes, along with Gypsy Queen & Freak Show. Lovely scents Beth!!!

This scent is so sexy. It reminds me a bit of Snake Oil- but it is a bit headier. It lasts for hours and hours. It is spicy..and warm... and floral. I am going to buy another bottle! :P

very sexy, spicy scent! i can see the resemblance to snake oil that others have mentioned... just add plum, vanilla, and a hint of coconut. it's sweet and perfumey without being overly sweet or perfumey. i think i may need another bottle!

It took a long time for me to be able to distinguish the vanilla in this. For the rest of this journey of scent, Snake Charmer was like your average women's perfume. Because it's a decant, I wonder if the person who gave it to me mislabeled it..? Maybe, I don't know. I haven't smelled Snake Oil for a long time, so I can't compare.

Hello all, this is my first review! I just recieved my Carnivale Noir order an hour ago, and am so impressed with Snake Charmer that it was imperative I post immediately to share my elation with the fabulousness of this scent. Although I love several BPALs and have oft been impressed with the quality of craftmanship evident all the blends, what fueled my urgency is the realization that this scent is remarkably similar to a beloved pricy and difficult to obtain scent - Serge Lutens Chergui! In the opening stages this has a mint-tinge not present in Chergui,has a softer, soapier sort of feel overall, and seems a slightly less linear than Chergui. There are enough subtle dissemilarites that, if you're a perfume afficionado, you can definitely justify purchasing both scents :P ; however, if you prefer to wear the most multifaceted scents availible, then Snake Charmer beats out Chergui, hands down!

I finally got the actual Snake Charmer in, and I have mixed feelings on it. In the bottle this is strong, strong, strong. It smells yummy and delicious and utterly edible.

I put it on and I have to endure about an hour of it smelling vaguely unpleasant - I think it's the coconut, which doesn't like me in most forms. It has helluva throw though, I will say that.

After an hour the scent has faded into only being accesible by sniffing where I applied it directly... and now the sickiness is gone! The faint scent that's left is gorgeous - amber, vanilla and a very slight fruitiness underneath.

It's really too bad it doesn't get 'there' sooner/last longer once it does get there. :P

In the Bottle: First hint-of-a-whiff: Oh, dear goodness, this smells like it might be as divine as I thought it might. Further sniffing: okay, there’s one thing hiding in there that tickles my nose in a sort of slightly-not-so-nice way. It kind of reminds me of a sweeter version patchouli, not as potent or as sharp as the standard variation. I don’t know if it’s the amber/ambrette or not.. will have to see when wearing it.

Wet on Skin: Okay, *phew* That sweet sorta-patchouli scent is still there, but it’s quite a bit less patchouli-ish and more sweet now.. :P !!! I could really get into this scent.

Dry on Skin: Oooh, okay.. I really like this one after all! It definitely has an obvious similarity to Snake Oil.. yet it’s different. To me, it’s not as incensey as Snake Oil, and decidedly sweeter. I think I’d attribute that to the plum, actually. I’ve had it on for about 8 hours, now, so it’s fairly faint overall, but I can still pick out the plum (more on it’s own now, actually), and I’m pretty sure that’s where it’s coming from.

Oh.. and the “Black Coconut” isn’t really coconutty at all, to me.. so if you’re worried about that bit of the description, I wouldn’t. :D