Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Spices of the Orient mingle with crystalline musk, midnight flowers and cereus, jasmine, primrose and vesper iris.

smells like a warm floral oriental. a lot of times jasmine is overwhelming on me, but the musk reigns it in a bit here. there is some thing underlying that doesnt mix all that well with my skin and brings up a musty smell. i think it's the iris. this one is ok, but doesnt wow me as much as some of the other floral-orientals i've tried. Edited by theseagrows

I received this one as a frimp in my order yesterday. I don't think I can add any more to the description that hasn't already been said in the last page or two, but I really like this one. It has a wonderful floral fragrance!

My question is where to find this one on the website? I don't think I have seen it listed and I would like to order a bottle.

Thanks!

Edited by na!0h4

First Impression: Heavy jasmine.

Dries down to: A much lighter jasmine, tinged with musk and by something else that gives it an almost airy quality.

Additional Comments: I can't distinguish any spices nor the other floral notes but they temper the jasmine to a tolerable level for me. I'm not a big fan of jasmine but I can handle this blend - it's particularly lovely once it dries down but then, it becomes very faint also. If the drydown were stronger, this would rate higher.

Lasted: A few hours.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

In the imp: Jasmine and spices against a floral background. Pretty!

On, wet: Hey, where did it go?

(Waits a few minutes.)

Ahh, there we go. Very jasmine. Not as sweet as Nyx, not as feral as Salome. It's the most intensely floral of the jasmine blends I've tried so far.

Drydown: Am suddenly reminded of Yog-Sothoth. After dabbing a bit of Yog on, I wonder if the floral elements in Yog aren't the night-blooming flowers that are mingling with the jasmine in Zorya? The two are similar, although by no means do they smell at all alike. Zorya is more feminine, less chilly (most likely thanks to the jasmine and the musk).

Another jasmine winner. What with this, Nyx, and Salome, it's an embarrassment of riches: when jasmine is called for, which to choose? I think, though, that I won't need any more jasmines for quite a while now...

In the Bottle: A hint of citrus and flowers behind a wall of something 7up smelling.... possibly young patchouli? It smells like 7Up to me sometimes...

Dry: This is a strange scent on me... it's like that "crystalline Musk" is literally a sheet of glass, I get this strange clear smelling (how can something smell clear? but it does) scent overlying everything. there is musk, and a bit of flowers, and that 7up scent, all behind this clear airlike scent. It's interesting. I am going to let my bottle mellow for a few months then try it again.

Zorya

in vial: jasmine

wet: jasmine

dry: jasmine and musk...a nice combination...lasts about 4 hours

verdict: nice, but not very exciting...I will use up the imp, but don't need a big bottle

Whoa, it's like huffing a big, fresh bouquet of night blooming flowers! Very fresh florals, strong and perfumey to the max. The jasmine and iris are very prominent, and I can also detect the shy primrose. This is a luxurious, over the top feminine goddess type scent. It's so lovely, I really don't have the words to describe it. Mysterious, seductive, gorgeous. Love it.

First sniff: This is pretty… but ice-cold and very much withdrawn. The barest suggestion of musk, frozen flowers and a tiny hint of sweetness that vanishes as soon as I notice it.

Wearing: Ooh. Soft, soft white musk and gentle clean flowers. Could it be… an iris that doesn’t go powdery on me?

Bottle (Imp): As usual, I can't figure out exactly what's in this, but it's neat. Flowery musk, vaguely reminiscent of a wedding party in full swing, where you can sorta smell that folks have been sweating, but not in that icky body odor way, but fresh clean sweat... and the scent of the flowers on the tables is kinda mingling in there.

Just On: Okay, I'm getting musky out of this. The flowers have all but disappeared, and I smell a soft musk.

An hour or two later: Hmmm, it's like a sweet musk almost. Very interesting.

Around 6 hours: I get a hint of the ugh musk scent and that's about it.

12 hours: It's very faded, but all in all, kind of a gentle musky skin scent now.

Overall: I'm not a huge musk fan, especially as my skin can do some *really* odd things with it, but it's kinda pretty, and might be a good 'warm' scent.

After reading other reviews: Whoa, all those folks got neat flowers and such, and I didn't get any of that. The musk was okay, but not exceptional on my skin, and it's not something I'm probably going to go out of my way to get.

In the bottle: Spices. Mmmm... and jasmine. Please don't get too sweet on me.

First on: Floral, soap, and spice. Not bad, but barely detectable. This could go either way.

Drydown: I can't find it. I can tell that there's somehting on my arm, but I can't tell what it is or where exactly it was applied. It's a faint jasmine, nothing more. Damn you jasmine! It's not cloying jasmine, which is nice, but I jsut don't do florals anymore.

First whiff: It reminds me strongly of a Hermès perfume that, of course, I can't pinpoint right now. Very well blended, with jasmine and white musk as most prominent notes.

Drydown: Here's the strange part - normally, I suffer from Teh Jazmin Curse , i.e., jasmine tends to play a baby diaper act on me. But here? The jasmine actually smells like a flower, which is a nice change :P

As time goes, the jasmine amps up a little, but isn't totally overpowering. The spices show up, but in a very mellow, unobtrusive manner - all notes combine beautifully into this elegant, slightly cold floral... that I feel I've smelled a dozen times. Actually, this is the one BPAL that I found most like a haute couture, alcohol-based perfume. Beautiful, but not very distinctive.

Verdict: Elegant, very French couture - and very not me. The reason I switched to the dark side BPAL was specifically to not smell like this. It would be a perfect choice as an "introduction" into BPAL.

8/10

Edited by chapatti

The musks show up at first, but then the florals show up and kind of over power everything else. I sent this one to the swap pile

In the imp: This is a very pretty floral--quite soft. I'm glad this appeals to me, because I'm always on the lookout for lighter scents.

Wet: This smells a little artificial to me--all the florals together are a little much. As is par for the course with my skin, the jasmine is the most prominent. Right now this reminds me of a much, much tamer version of Languor.

Dry-down and wear: This makes my skin smell like I took a bath with floral-scented bath beads. Even though I don't consider myself a florals person, I don't mind the result. While I won't put this on my priority acquisition list, I will use up the imp and go from there.

I don't get much of a floral scent from this even when I am able to breathe properly. It's more musky and incense-y to me, kind of like the incense my idiot burns at his house. I have to be careful and not put very much on because my skin seriously amps this up, and you can smell it across the room. It doesn't last very long on me, though -- two hours at the most. Still not quite sure how much I like it even after 4 tests, which means that it's probably not going to be one of my favorites.

A very pretty, sophisticated scent.

It's a light floral, and the jasmine doesn't take over (which it often does).

This reminds me of a commercial perfume. Not in a bad way--it's very pretty--but it has that same light, bright scent. It's a bit generic on me, so off to swaps.

Wet - Flowery and spicy, clean.

Dry - Jasmine, and spices with a hint of laundry freshness. Later...goodbye jasmine, hello musk! Too much musk. Help! The musk is revolting. Send in troops! Now it's turning into fermented fruit. *scrubs it off*

Final - Like a banana republic, it started out nice and exotic, but quickly deteriorated into a war zone.

Zorya: sweetly floral with a very slight baby oil tinge.

On: the baby oil smell amps up initially, but then the florals begin to assert themselves. As I did with Mi-Go, I'm getting a bit of a popcorn smell. I wish I knew what that was.

Dry: A nice floral mix. Amazingly, the jasmine behaves itself in this one, but overall it doesn't wow me. And there's so much BPAL, that I can afford to be picky. :P

Zorya is mostly jasmine, a big bouquet of night-blooming dew-covered flowers, and a very light musk. It's pretty, but it doesn't strike me as being a particularly special scent.

Florals usually turn me off or scare the bejesus out of me....

And this one was no different to start.

Wet, it was VERY floral soap smelling.

Dry, the super strong white florals faded a bit, and it took on very crystal musk tone...

Now, about 45 minutes later, its mildly sweet, a tiny touch spicy and very crystl clear.

Im sooo keeping this. not everyday I find something with white flowers that i can actually wear.

Whenever jasmine comes around, that usually means trouble for me. Mix that with tuberose? Even worse. Surprisingly enough it wasn't as bad as many other florals that I have tried. I even considered holding onto it in case I ever really want to smell flowery, but instead I sold the midnight star off to a friend who hopefully will enjoy it more than I.

I'm learning that I should avoid scents that are predominately floral. All I'm getting here is jasmine even after it's been on my skin for almost an hour.

In the vial: Light and musky.

On my wrist, wet: Musky and softly floral. This is not a heavy, animalistic musk. Very light and feminine.

After 20 minutes: Well hello, Jasmine. What happened to all your companion notes? Jasmine behaves very badly on me. She is loud and boisterous and throws herself all over the room. All those delicate feminine notes packed up and went home.

After an hour: This is such a pretty scent. Alas, jasmine and I don't get along, much as I would like for us to. I may actually hold onto this imp to try with something else or put into a lotion.

In the vial it almost smelled too strong and musky for me. I know better than to judge a scent by how it comes off in the bottle though.

When applied, Zorya smells spectacular. Predominantly jasmine with what I assume is the iris and cereus in the background. I barely notice the musk when I am wearing it. I really have to put my nose to my skin to smell it. Otherwise, the florals are all you notice.

I imagine that this is what the most powerful political figures would wear in the evenings. This scent was designed to be worn by only the dominant and strong of character, in my opinion.

A bit of warning, :When I apply more than one coat it smells too strong, like a cheap cologne on me so less is probably more with this scent.

I have no idea what jasmine, or any of the florals listed here smell like - so my review for this may not be all that great...

In the imp, I smell a bit of musk, some spice and a very....dark floral scent, that has kind of a sweetness to it.

I'm intrigued by this, and normally I don't really like florals.

On my skin wet - PURE florals...

I was almost ready to run and wash this off...ALMOST...but it didn't disgust me as much as florals usually do...odd.

As it dried the musk and spice started to tone down that floral smell a bit more...making it more tolerable, and I actually started to like it...

It's so different, and complex...

After it settled on my skin though - it started to smell like Dove soap.

Crap.

Bye bye Zorya, time to swap you.

:P

So many things I love in this but on it is just soapy lilies (jasmine?) and some moonflower. I guess Utrennyaya is the only one of these three that is going to work on me.

Just call me angel of the morning, baby.