Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Goddess of Persuasion, Seduction and Sexual Wiles. A member of Aphrodite’s retinue, she is also Aphrodite’s daughter and sister to Tyche and Eunomia. Lusty myrtle and jasmine with red sandalwood, stargazer lily, and clove over an opulent, rich bed of warm musk and bourbon vanilla.

Origin: Frimp from the Lab

In the Bottle: sweetly musk. This bodes ill. My skin tends to take any hint of musk and run away with it.

Wet: Yep, musk. I get faint traces of vanilla and a whiff of flowers, but it is quite definitely musk.

Drydown: Hmm, interesting. The musk is still there, but not so strongly. Now I'm getting jasmine and lily.

Verdict: Well, alone it doesn't grab me. The musk does lie down much better than most BPALs with musk notes. Smelling it, I was longing for a rose note to mimick my beloved Bearded Lady, which led to an experiment in layering. I think I'll be keeping the imp; whether I buy a bottle to layer with 25&7 remains to be seen.

Edited by puck_nc

I love love love this scent. On me it's very jasminey (one of my favourite notes, along with honey) with a soft warmth to it. After a little while the vanilla and sandalwood notes come out, with an undercurrent of musk. It's soft and sweet and delicious.

First Impression: Lemony jasmine.

Dried down to: A light, sweet jasmine with lily and citrus undertones - quite lovely and feminine.

Additional Comments: This is another blend with jasmine in it that actually works on me. It was a really nice surprise, since they're so few and far between. I wonder if the myrtle is a lemon myrtle since I definitely get citrus notes. I don't detect the clove, sandalwood, musk or vanilla individually but they contribute to the overall creamy, slightly sweet loveliness. I wish it were stronger and longer lasting, though.

Lasted: About 2 hours.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

I was expecting to hate this, because floral scents usually don't work on me at all, and Jasmine in particular usually amps up incredibly on my skin and becomes overpoweringly strong. And yet... It's not bad at all.

It's a much softer scent than I expected - I thought it would be overpoweringly sweet and cloying, but it's not so much. It is certainly a sweet floral, but not excessively so. There's a touch of something light and warm and non-sweet in it - looking at the description, I see it's got sandalwood, musk and vanilla, so that makes sense.

It's very soft and sensual, and stays close to the skin - it seems like almost a floral-tinged version of a natural skin-scent. I could see it being a very good date-night scent, which someone won't smell until they're close to you, and that it would just add that extra edge of fragrance and sexiness. It does seem to fade fairly quickly, but a lot of scents do that on me.

I'm still not sure it's entirely me, but I think this is the closest thing I've found yet to a jasmine-based scent that I can actually wear.

Grade: B

In the vial: A spicy musk.

On me: My skin clings to musk, so it's very hard to smell anything else. But underneath all the musk I smell cloves (which I hate, but they're not strong here), and some jasmine.

Overall: It's a very sexy scent. Too bad musk hates me enough to overwhelm most of the other scents though. :P It's not too bad, I like the jasmine in it.

I had a good experience with Santa Eularia's jasmine the other week, so I'm giving this jasmine blend a shot as well.

Bottle:

Smells mostly of non-descript department store perfume. Musky, some florals--'tis generic perfume, and not distinctive to me.

Wet: Lily and musk with jasmine behind (not cat pee jasmine yet). Already a hint powdery (my skin and florals), so my hopes are not high.

Drying: There is a (thankfully) VERY short cat pee phase. Within 10 mins, though, I get a good (non-cat pee) jasmine with a bit of lily, some musk, and slight sandalwood. I’m not getting the spices or the vanilla, which is what I was hoping for. My skin amps florals. I know this. But I still try. :P

Over time, this blend darkens, and is anything except generic department store. This is deep jasmine, with warmth to it. Still not distinctively vanilla-y or spicy, but definitely a warmth, some of it from sandalwood, I assume.

Even later, it evolves into a dark jasmine (not bright like it was in Santa Eularia) and I think I'm actually getting a hint of the dark vanilla now.

Overall: If I were a floral girl, I'd be all over this, since it's actually unique to a lot of florals I've tried. It's so well blended making it difficult to pick up anything under the jasmine. But it's definitely more than just straight up jasmine. A wonderful surprise after my dept store suspicions.

I have gifted this to a faraway friend, but if I ever happen upon another imp, I will likely snatch it up to try again.

i think ive said this of a few other scents, but this one smells like gaultier's perfume for women on me. but this one moreso than the others- it's almost exact on my skin, and since i like that perfume, i also like peitho.

Warm and sort of musky and dry on me, I was expecting a little more richness in this scent and was surprised that it seemed to go so woody on me. It's pretty but nothing I'm dieing to keep and reminds me more of meeting good old friends than seducing someone I suppose. Then again my chemistry has been fantastically wierd this month.

First sniff: Wow. Boozey rich vanilla-ness, and a brushing of flowers. The alcohol note is almost too sharp.

Wearing: Jasminey-sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. It’s much softer on me, and very, very pretty.

Yummy... Musk and Vanilla! With just a hint of floral sweetness.

My skin LOVES musk, but hates all things Floral, so I was a little hesitant when sampling this imp.

The Vanilla note wins out over the floral in a big way. Peitho is quickly becoming one of my top 10 BPALs.

ADDED Dec. 1:

Bourbon, smoky Vanilla with a trace of slinky jasmine flowers.

This is a sweet, seductive scent. Rich and complex, but not overpowering. The smoky vanilla mellows the Jasmine note and sweetens to overall scent.

This would be a perfect " first date" scent. Feminine, sexy and flirty.

Edited by Fefferbella

Just from the list of notes, I knew I'd like this. Clove? Red sandalwood? Vanilla? So very there.

It's /not/ a sexy scent to me, though... it's surprisingly light and clear for what you'd think of its notes. It's sweet, and on me, most of it blurs together into a pleasant sort of quality that isn't nearly as foody as you'd expect. I suspect it's softened by the florals, and just enough clove to keep it from being -too- sweet. It doesn't seem to have a lot of throw to me, but that's not so bad... you can wear it to work or something and not worry about being in a fog of scent that'll give you a headache in an hour. As it sets, it gets a bit less floral and a bit more clovey, but remains quite nice. Definitely a keeper, may be a bottle.

Jasmine+vanilla+musk = very happy me. :P I was staggered to find how much I liked this floral scent--it's more complex than just a sniff of a flower, it lays very nicely on me and doesn't morph much. I ordered a bottle. :D This seems so nicely blended that it would work on people who may not expect it; I know a lot of people are jasminephobic but this isn't overpoweringly floral once it hits my skin. A big recommendation!

ITB: Jasmine and vanilla. Very warm and soft.

On: The jasmine amps way up, overpowering anything else.

Dry: All jasmine, all the time. I can just barely detect the vanilla, if I sniff very closely. Sigh. I really wish jasmine didn't go so sour on me, because this was really quite lovely in the bottle.

Peitho

in vial: smoky(?) jasmine

wet: jasmine, lily, and clove (maybe clove was the smokiness I was smelling?)

dry: a slightly powdery (but not too powdery) blend of sandalwood, jasmine, and lily

verdict: nice, but I don't need a big bottle

I really love stargazer lily, and I can detect it, making Peitho a more pleasant scent that it might otherwise be, but this is mostly jasmine with myrtle and musk. This is slinky, but musty at the same time. I'm starting to think that bourbon vanilla gets musty on me. Peitho is slinky, a "let me slip into something more comfortable" sort of scent, yet it seems a bit like a homebody scent. There's nothing that makes it stand out.

Edited by malanna

First sniff: Peitho = lubb! It's a jasmine-vanillagasm!

The fragrance is soft, but noticable. It reminds me of an amped-up Bearded Lady without the rose. Seriously, it's fantastic!

As the body chemistry proceeds to fiddle with the oil, the throw is weakened, and Peitho's musk seems to take over, but there are still other notes gently streaking through. I can smell the lily, adding a soft powder that's sweetened by the vanilla. Jasmine undulates over and under the musk, playing a sort of leapfrog, with the sandalwood doing a little boogie and shake over in the corner.

Peitho is gentle, but it seems just a little sneaky. Peitho is a good fragrance for the woman trying to be demure, but still conveying a bit of a suggestive wink.

I love it. Jasmine and I get along really well, so unless another note gets in the way of our relationship, BPAL with jasmine is normally welcome with me. I think if I had a big bottle, I would wear it about as often as I wear, say, my bottle of Juliet. During the wintertime, it seems I don't wear feminine fragrances as much, but come springtime, I think I might be in the market for a bottle.

-doreen

I have to say I'm a floral girl myself. And this is continuing into my incursion of "warmer, spicier" scents.

In the imp: Something floral and vanilla-ish.

On Skin: I can't help the comparison's to "O", which what I have dubbed the vanilla sex scent. This is less aggressive than O, more mellow and instead of in your face sexy, the floral tints make it more coy and flirty. However, the musk makes it all the more present in a latently sexual way.

I like how this smells. Enough to get a 5ml.

Whereas I can't see myself wearing "O" all that often, I can see myself wearing Peitho more regularly because it's subtly sexy.

This is sweet sandalwood on first application, with the jasmine and vanilla coming to the fore quickly. After a little while, though, it takes on a spicy, powdery sort of tone. The notes are still there, but now they make me want to sneeze. And then, alas, acrid jasmine and too-sharp musk. This blend started out lovely, but unfortunately, it's not for me.

...I swear, I could almost copy'n'paste my review of Zorya ^^

The jasmine is actually OK, not overpowering at first, but it soon amps up, even though it never quite goes the baby diaper route.

None of the lovely other components (especially my BELOVED VANILLA *weeps*) really show up except as a vague overlaying pepperish note, and I'm left with this very department-store style perfume that is quite elegant, but not special in any way.

Verdict: if jasmine works for you, this will probably be fantastic.

On me, though... I'm definitely giving up jasmine blends, even if the entire rest of the notes look amazing, it just won't work. Curses.

6.5/10

*DROOLS*

There are trees outside the old music building at school that I LOVE and this smells just like them.

Its all myrtles and bourbon vanilla. Its very sweet.

I'm loving this.

Why didn't anyone tell me this was so good?

Peitho is such a *pretty* scent. very girly. the musk and vanilla keep the jasmine in check enough for me to like it while the clove gives a nice spiciness to the even out the sweetness and florals.

Edited by angel sixgun

Warm, floral, with a touch of spicy booze, this is one of my favorite BPAL scents ever. Like others said, I don't understand why this isn't a staple on the lines of Dorian...It's rich and strong, but not overpowering. It's slightly fruity, but not remotely foodie.

Great throw, too.

Just bought a bottle and I can't wait for it to arrive!

Peitho

I'll say right off the bat that this is not my first date with Peitho. Oh no - we've been engaged in a raging love affair for the past six months or so.

Sniffing from the bottle: Jasmine and vanilla

Upon application: I'm not sure what myrtle smells like, but there's a bolder, fuller floral here than just the jasmine. Mixed with a huge, heaping dose of warm vanilla. I'm not sure if it's the addition of the bourbon and clove or not - but this vanilla is gorgeous...nothing like the thin sweet vanilla in Black Opal or Antique Lace.

After a few minutes: One of the things I love about Peitho is that it doesn't change on me. At all. The scent stays true from begining to end. Oddly, I don't notice the musk in this at all - and I love musk.

Conclusion: Peitho is one of those blends that leaves me tongue-tied. I can't quite describe how it makes me feel, or how much I adore it. As I mentioned before - I've had Peitho for about six months and I have to virtually restrain myself from wearing it every single day. It's that good. And even though I also reach for it now, during the winter - it's truly the embodiment of a warm summer night to me. A warn night in, like, Charleston, or Savannah or New Orleans - some place with history and culture as opposed to a warm night on the beach - if that makes sense. It's definitely a top five scent for me. Possibly top three. I could wear it every day for the rest of my life and be very happy indeed.

This is pretty much all jasmine, all the time, from start to finish. That's a good thing for me, as I love jasmine and don't get the "soap of d00m" effect some BPALers seem to get. I think you have to like jasmine to like this one.

Hubba hubba. I'm almost sad it took me this long to try this one. Jasmine isn't one of my favorite florals, but I do like it and my skin doesn't amp it up like it does so many others. In this, the floral blends perfectly with the vanilla. The myrtle makes it a bit fruity and the bourbon vanilla is my favorite vanilla, it reminds me of the double strength vanilla extract my father would bake with when I was a kid. I LOVE that almost alcoholic smell. The clove and musk provide a spicy sexiness.

I need a big bottle of this! :P