Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

vechernyaya.jpg

Three white musks with poppy and patchouli.

Right out of the imp I can smell the musks as cold as Ice 9 in deepspace. The musks are softened by a slight edge of poppy and warmed to the wearable by patchouli. This is an astringent scent with a very perfumy, grown up heart and huge sophistication. I would recommend this one for work or for a date with someone whom you want to impress, wearing your best clothes and for special events.

Vechernyaya has huge staying power. Hours later you can still smell it. I would say this is a new avenue taken in BPAL scents and is a huge success. Vechernyaya is a fabulous evolution.

Edited by Shollin

The light musks worried me, and I have no idea what poppy smells like, but I love patchouli, so here we go.

This is so pretty! The musks are cool and fresh and soft. Something here is making it lightly sweet; I guess that would be the poppy.

I can't really pick out the patchouli individually, but I think that I can sense it in there, adding depth.

I think that this scent would be appropriate for both day and evening. It's sophisticated without being dark or heavy. Nothing here smells sharp to me, just fresh and invigorating.

If you missed out getting to try Beth's single note white musk, you have to try Vechernyaya! On me, it's almost all pure, sparkling, cool and bright white musk, so gorgeous! I really can't pick out the poppy or patchouli, there must be just the tiniest breath of them in here. This is a perfect representation of the evening star :P .

I got this for the patchouli, wondering how it would blend with white musk, which I find positively frosty and wonderful in Ice Queen though it becomes very "commercial perfume" on me in other blends.

In the imp, this does have kind of a perfumey quality -- I wish there was a better adjective for it but that's the best description that I can think of. I press on ahead with testing it though. I actually have never had a good experience with anything that contains poppy but I still want to try out the musk and patchouli here.

When I apply this it changes considerably. The musks even out and becomes cold and distant, very much the icy, spacey quality I was hoping for. And at the same time, the patchouli brings it back down to earth. It feels like....walking barefoot at night, looking up at the full moon and the bright night stars, maybe out on an expedition to watch falling stars...and feeling the earth between your toes and on the soles of your feet as you walk. That's exactly what this smells like.

That stage lasts a little while, when the pungent perfumery of the poppy kicks in again...alas, and the beautiful starlit night is gone as I have walked right into someone's flowerbed. If you can do poppies, or like the floral/perfume quality more than I do than this would probably work much better for you. I cherish that middle stage but it lasts for a very short time on me so I probably will just enjoy this once or twice and move it along. :P

If all my favorite scents could be wrapped up in a perfume, this might quite possibly be what it smells like.. the white musk, the patchouli, the poppy....

Wet it was just lovely, all musk and this glassy, far away scent.. As it's dried on my arm it's just gotten better.. the soft patchouli comes out on me (because me and my skin adore it). This is a patchouli even my mom (who thinks it smells like dirty hippies) could love. The poppies aren't too floral on me... they give it a girly edge.

I adore it. I am so glad I bought an entire bottle, unsniffed.

I don't really care for poppy, but I purchased this, as I was hoping it would be more musk and patchouli on me. The patchouli is barely noticeable. The poppy screams on my skin and I can't tolerate it.

Gimp from the lab, (thanks labbies!) so the least I can do is review, right?

In the imp: sharp, dry wood with a hint of perfume.

Wet on me: Huh. Less sharp, blending nicely, still a classic department store perfume note, but light not overpowering.

Drying: Huh. (it keeps surprising me.) That perfume note is becoming a bit sweeter. Poppy coming out I think.

Dry: Pretty, light, subtle, a little sophisticated. But still a wee hint of MAcy's Perfume dept for me. I suspect that'll morph away in another 15 minutes or so.

Dry, a half hour later: still just a hint too perfumey for me, but otherwise the same. Light & sophisticated.

Overall: I'm not sure it's me, but it certainly is nice! (Me is much less subtle, much less sophisticated, much more sweet resin & cream.) I'll have to think about whether to keep or swap this one.

EDIT: This is surprisingly long-lasting. 16 hours and a shower later, there's still some lingering sweetness on my wrist. I'm still not sure whether I'm keeping it or not, but I'm certainly impressed by it.

Edited by Muppetk

In the bottle: Oh. My. Goodness. This is sexy. Definitely white musk, bright and cool and sweet, with a touch of patchouli keeping it grounded. Thankfully, not much poppy, if any at all--me and poppy don't get along. This strikes me as pretty masculine straight out of the imp.

Wearing: Yeah, there's the patchouli, just barely showing through the musk. After a bit it gets a little smokier and sweeter, which I think might be the poppy's doing. This does strike me as perfumey, but in a very good way. It smells expensive.

Later: It's all musk now. Lovely, lovely musk.

Overall: I am so glad to have gotten this as a freebie, because I wouldn't have ordered it otherwise due to the poppy. I am not disappointed--this is wonderful. It's a very unisex blend, and yes, very sexy. I have a couple of guys in mind who I wouldn't mind smelling this on. :P

Edit: It's too late and I can't spell.

Edited by voodoobaby

Well, they can't all work....

This starts of very promising on me. It is sexy, alluring, very adult. But something goes a little crazy on my skin, and it overpowered me. This is the first BPAL that gave me a headache. :P

This is a heavy perfume, and it has a high-end commerical quality to it (not in a bad way). It also goes and goes and goes. It took many scrubbings with various soaps to get it off me. So, if it works on you, yay - it will last!

in the bottle: this is masculine to me musks, and patchouli

wet: musky, and masculine, i can see the comparison to "comercial" scents but it is deeper then comercials smell

dry: smokey and musky, still very masculine. i can see my dh wearing this for a night out, he usually wears fenris wolf but for a change occassionally i may ask for this one.

the patchouli keeps the musk from going over the top, and the musk is a sexy blend that just screams manly to me. i do not even get a hint of poppy

On me, Vechernyaya is smoky and earthy. My skin chemistry seems to bring out the patchouli, drowning out the musks. The poppy lends it what I think is the "perfumey" quality that other reviewers have mentioned, a heady note above the deep patchouli.

It's not a scent that really suits me, but I'm glad I got to try it.

very lovely. it does go through a "perfumey" stage on me, but then it becomes quite soft and lovely. Very feminine and beautiful.

Vechernyaya - Sparkling sophisticated white musk tempered by something slightly creamy. Very glad I got to try it, but I have yet to decide what I think...

I don't want to start a whole lot of speculation, but to me this smells like Antique Lace without the vanilla. Surely someone else must see (smell?) the similarity? I'm going to have to test Antique Lace and Vechernyaya next to each other to confirm or deny. And then mix Vechernyaya with SN Vanilla Bean to try to prove my point. I'll try to report back once I've done this experiment :P

Out of all the stars, I ordered this one in bottle form, cause I love musk & Patchouli. This is really freakin awesome :D I am so happy I took a chance on this. This has a masculine sense for me, & I love masculine scents. This is woody & musky, I'm not sure what poppy smells like, but I'm sure it adds that extra oomph that I smell. I love the way this smells so sexy & deep. If you like your scents deep & musky... try this out, you cant go wrong. Truly beautiful :P

Wet, in the imp. I adore white musk and was so sad when I got so much patchouli.

On, not bad, just not what I wanted. The patchouli is very strong to me. I am not the greatest fan of that note so I will see what the hour+ drydown brings.

Vechernyaya is heavy on the patchouli when wet - this seems to be a drier patchouli, as in the black variety, not the sensual red type. As the scent dries, the patchouli retreats and leaves a faint smokiness behind, while the white musks come out and give that sparkling, almost effervescent impression that I always get from Beth's white musks. I don't know how a scent can be smoky and sparkling at the same time, but that's what Verchernyaya is like for me. It's a little too hot here to be wearing a smoky scent, so I'll be holding onto my imp until fall arrives.

All the notes playing in sexy, sweaty, rippling muscle heaven like the volleyball scene in Top Gun. This is the scent that makes me want to slather Rob from head to toe and then sniff and sniff and sniff until my head pops off.

That is all.

Vechernyaya

In the imp: fresh, light musk and dark patchouli.

Wet on skin: oh, this is nice. The musk and the patchouli contrast each other nicely, and there's another scent there that must be the poppy.

Dry on skin: this is lovely. I love the white musk note in this, it's fresh, light, airy and sparkling. The poppy adds a sophisticated aspect to this, sweet and heady, whilst the patchouli grounds the scent. It is like a really well made perfume, sensual and mysterious.

After a while: now it smells like very posh perfume! This isn't a bad thing-this is a really well crafted perfume scent. It's very heady as well-I think it's the poppy that's doing this. I can't really smell the patchouli any more, but the musk is still there.

Verdict: this is an intriguing and mesmerising scent. The musk in here is light, sparkling and gentle, the patchouli adds depth, and the poppy adds a sweetness and rich floral scent reminiscent of sophisticated, expensive perfume. This is a mysterious scent, sensual and very heady. It's a very grown up scent. I don't find this masculine at all-indeed, this is incredibly feminine to me-and not girly, but very womanly. I'm not sure if I'll get a bottle as this may be a bit too heavy for me at times, but it seems very appropriate for evenings out, it's sexy with an air of mystery. I'll certainly keep my imp.

the musk is nice, and patchouli is always welcome on my skin. but there’s an unpleasant alcohol note, reminiscent of commercial men’s cologne. my husband sniffed my wrist, made a face, and said, “you smell like stetson!” it’s just too strong and astringent; it kind of gives me a headache.

at first: i love musk and this has tons of it. the patchouli is also there, but in the background.

on: a bit sharper, i'm assuming from the poppy. there's still lots of musk, though, and patchouli is rounding it out. very nice.

half an hour later: still that sharpness, with the patchouli getting stronger. the musks are softer now, but still nice.

1 hour later: lovely. i don't think i knew what poppy smelled like, but i like it.

2 hours later: very musky and lovely. i adore this.

overall: i'm so glad i just took the plunge and ordered a 10ml of this unsniffed. i'll definitely enjoy using this.

i ordered all three of the zorya because i loved the concept. this was the last one that i tried, and i had almost no hope for it. that is primarily because musk seems to hate me.

welllllll......

this is beautiful. clean, clear, crisp. there is something here that is reminiscent of what i think of as aquatics. it reminds me of a cold winter's night in finland, with deep snow on the ground and the sky so clear that the stars could freeze you with their brightness.

this scent is pristine, elegant, surreal. stars limned in light. a tall, regal beauty that you can only admire from afar.

this would be a great business scent. it is demure, but elegant and lean without being in your face. it would also be a great scent for a very fancy ball, with a floor length ball gown and an updo.

In vial: Musk, that perfume counter smell.

On: Musk and opium? That must be the poppy. I don't get the patchouli.

Vechernyaya is heady, perfumey and sophisticated, like an expensive traditional perfume. It's definitely an evening scent...it makes me think of designer ball gowns and diamonds, as others have said. Smoky and sparkling is a great description.

It's not really me, though. Utrennyaya is more my kind of thing....so it's off to swap.

Edited by isyche

An imp of Vechernyaya was thrown into my order by the Lab and it immediately grabbed my attention. Being a huge fan of white musk, I had been tempted to order it, but I must admit that the poppy scared me off. So I was really happy to be able to try it.

In the imp and when first applied, Vechernyaya was quite masculine, not unbearably so, but I still wondered if it was going to work on me.

Thankfully, it mellowed out quickly into a very interesting scent in that it had the unmistakable crispness and airiness of white musk as a head note and then the earthy sweetness of the patchouli/poppy combo as a base note.

The patchouli and the poppy grounded the musk quite nicely, yet the different notes never really mingled and remained quite distinct through the various stages.

After complete drydown, I was left with a softer, more rounded version of the initial scent that was, like others said, a little "perfumey" but elegant.

This is a very long-lasting blend that I would recommend to anyone who finds that white musk disappears too quickly on them.

I *hate* white musk but I love patchouli, so I was still tempted into trying Vechernyaya. Unfortunately, this is pure white musk on me and not even a hint of patchouli. I'm not sure what poppy smells like (I never noticed it having a smell) but I don't think that I smell any here.

It's very perfumey and astringent. The white musk of my nightmares. I had to wash this off after about a half hour, even though it had dried down and was much lighter at that point.

In the bottle: light musks & a touch of florals

First on: Where did it go? I seriously can't smell a damn thing, even though my nose is touching the wet skin on my hand.

Drydown: It's back to what it was in the bottle, mostly musk with some soft florals. I like it, but it's not exactly my style.