Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Malista

Pannychis

An attendant of the Goddess Venus. She presides over nocturnal pleasure, nighttime festivities, and all the joy and delight that can be found in the darkness. In later ages, it became the name of the all-night festival that closed the Eleusinian Mysteries. Night-blooming jasmine, moonflower, cardamom, sandalwood, black currant, ylang ylang, frankincense and lily.

This is a very nice, slightly heady floral to my nose. All the notes seemed like they would work on me, but I'm afraid it went very soapy on me. I will have to isolate the culprit and smack it around, because this absolutely *should* work on me. I envy those who can wear this, that's for sure!

Another floral turned SOAP on my skin.

I had high hopes for the moonflower, and for a fleeting moment I thought it just might work on my skin... but sadly, the Jasmine took over and ruined another lovely floral for me... :P

Pannychis

not much to say here...

in vial: jasmine

wet: jasmine

dry: jasmine

verdict: too much jasmine...off to swaps

ooh... I love this...

Pannychis went on and stayed pretty much the same, a very unique, lovely floral blend, like a beautiful warm night. I could smell the jasmine, but on me it wasn't overpowering at all.

It lasted about 5 hours on me, but I put a little on the inside of the shirt I was wearing and I could still smell it when I got ready for bed 10 hours later. Now if scents would only last that long on my skin- I'd be in heaven...

I touched this to my skin, and I got nothing but ALL jasmine ALL the time. My skin loves the jasmine more than I do, I guess. I had to wash this off immediately. If you are a bit timid of heavily jasmine scents, I will suggest you stay away from this one.

Jasmine, moonflower, and Sandalwood. This is a very soothing blend and I could see using this as a sleep blend. I'm not sure which component is doing this, but as soon as I put it on, I felt all of my muscles release and my headache faded......like, I could feel it releasing.

This is very pretty and soothing and I think I'm going to need a bottle

Mmmm, moonflower. I cannot get enough moonflower lately, it's becoming a little embarrassing. There's loads of jasmine in Pannychis, and under normal circumstances it would probably be too much for me. But the presence of moonflower really tames the jasmine, and although this is definitely a card-carrying floral, it doesn't press my too-many-flowers button.

The drydown on Pannychis is a soft dreamy jasmine/moonflower mix. Very nice.

Pannychis.... freebie compliments of the Lab! :D

Normally...I am not a huge fan of jasmine...just because it amps, amps, AMPS to the point of total domination on me..but for the sake of trying and perhaps liking...I am willing to roll the dice. Salome was a nice surprise..who knows..I might be pleasantly rewarded again???

Initial sniff from imp: Jasmine...maybe with some other floral...but I can't discern at this point..it's all jasmine..which in itself is pretty..but as I have said...once on my skin..it tends to get REALLY bossy...hmmm... :D

Applied wet on skin: Jasmine again...and some floral is tucked behind it..reining it in HARD...so that it-the jasmine-doesn't throw a floral fury all over me. LiberAmoris hit it on the nail..it's gotta be the moonflower..it works beautifully with the jasmine...really very pretty. I am not getting any black currant, or lily, or frankinsense, or any other note(s)..except for the jasmine and that pretty moonflower in tandem.

Couple of minutes on skin:It's still jasmine and moonflower on the dance floor...I don't register the cardamom/ylang ylang/frankincense/lily. I do think I can get a touch of the sandalwood..waayyy in the back..but it's still all floral..and a very pretty one at that. I don't normally go hog wild for florals...but it's really very nice.

Let me also say...I am no expert when it comes to indentifying specific florals..but I am learning! :P

Drydown:When everything has warmed up on my skin and hung around for about an hour or so..I am left again with the jasmine/moonflower waft...albeit markedly subdued..but still there..with the sandalwood in the back..a touch of it is anchored.

Throw is pretty good with lasting power clocking in at about 3 hours or so.

Bottom Line: Pannychis is another fragrance that proves to me that jasmine doesn't have to throttle me into submission. Here in this blend..along with Salome, jasmine works beautifully. In this blend the moonflower tempers it and makes it very wearable for me. Alas..I am not super crazy for florals..so for me, this isn't a 5ml purchase. I think however, I will hold onto my imp...when I want some jasmine in my day.

In the Imp ~ Jasmine and frankincense. Very strong and very lovely.

Wet ~ Jasmine and a slight, powdery fragrance... which might be the sandlewood.

On the drydown ~ a perfect blend of florals and resins!! This is divine. It is hard for me to find mixed floral scents that I like that don't wash out on me. This scent has *excellent* throw ~ a little bit goes a long, long way.

This scent lasted on me for over 8 hours! I had it on last evening and it just stayed and stayed... and it stayed true on my skin!

I really like this.

This will be a scent added to my Top 10 list.

:P

Go easy with this one ladies! Just a drop 'il do ya!

At first this is really heavy on the jasmine and ylang ylang. It is very thick. On the drydown it lightens up a bit, and the light, translucent moonflower emerges. It is still a heavy floral. Not as fruity as I imagined, but the sweetness is there, more when it is dry.

This is all jasmine on first application, with the merest hint of creamy ylang ylang. It's sweet and potent. After a moment, a smoky incense note emerges, which must be the frankincense. I can't discern the other individual notes, but this blend does have a complexity I like.

After a while, this dries to a crisp floral incense, a smoky haze drifting in the firelight. It's lovely, but a little too strong for my tastes.

Wet: VERY soapy floral.

Dry: Very strong floral, white, much jasmine. A hint of soap in the background. This is UBERFLORAL. Luckily that is right up my alley. I am very happy with this one.

First impression: dewey, sweet, white

On Skin: Wet, I'm thinking white honeysuckle. (must be the moonflower) It's almost grape, but not a heavy grape. Nono, maybe it's the lily I smell. Ok, no matter, it's very sweet and pretty. (or maybe it's all Jasmine)

I don't smell any sandlewood or ylang ylang.

This is a very nice blend.

In the Vial: JASMINE! WHOA!

On my wrist, wet: Strangled by jasmine! Almost burns my nose. And what a throw. I can almost see it wafting off my wrist in white, curling tendrils.

After 20 minutes: Hi. I'm jasmine and I own you. But without sourness and pointy edges.

After an hour: Jasmine. It keeps going and going and going... Honestly, I can't pick up any other notes. It smells the same as it did an hour ago, just not as blindingly strong. Pannychis is a strong, heady, floral and I'm not one to pull off that kind of a scent (although I used to have a roommate who could wear this kind of scent beautifully). On me, it's cloying and overbearing. I would feel apologetic for assaulting people if I wore this to a restaurant or other indoor space with people present. Gender neutral? I'd love to meet the man who can wear this and not smell like he mistakenly marinated himself in his lady's perfume.

Must get this off my wrist...

Imp

Hmm...this smells strongly of jasmine and BPAL jasmine is very yucky on me. However there are so many other good notes that I will give this a go....

I can also smell the ylang ylang quite well.

Wet

This is a very different jasmine on me...the ylang ylang over takes it (good) and it is not doing its piss thing. I can barely catch the hint of the frankinscence in the background. The ylang ylang is very strong in this one.

There is also something I catch as this dries that is almost fizzy, like soda carbination. It is fun and tickles my nose. Sadly, the jasmine is comming back and while it is different and not horrible, this is not a scent for me. It is thick and humid.

Dry

I am sorry, it is not gonna happen. First the jasmine picked back up its sweatly smell and now it is pricking my wrist with little stabbing pains threatening the ouch to come. I will conceede that if I had to recommend a jasmine to the jasmine loving folk this woudl be it. It is the best jasmine blend to date that I have tried and I almost made it!

In the bottle: What everyone else said. Jasmine.

Wet on skin - Jasmine. (good thing I love jasmine!)

Drying down - it's turning into a different kind of floral now. Still floral, but less jasmine-y. There's something like a grape undertone (someone else mentioned this too). I don't know what moonflower smells like, maybe that?

After an hour, so far, no sandalwood or frankincense, as I was hoping for. I think my nose is sensitive to the florals and has a hard time finding the other notes. I'll let this one age a bit more on my skin and see if it morphs any more.

This has turned rather nice though. I do like it.

Pannychis

Lovely gift from the lovely kmasden, who selected this based on my apparently jasmine-heavy wishlist.

Not much to add to other reviews and this one hasn't morphed like some of Beth's other blends do, so I'm going to lay it out for y'all:

Jasmine.

Yup. But for me at least, this "night blooming" kind, tempered as it is by moonflower, ylang ylang, sandalwood, currant and one of my favorite foodie spices, does not reach the "meaty jasmine" that I usually get from Beth (or, really, any jasmine oil out there).

This isn't light and delicate like Peitho. This is darker, but still fragile. My skin usually amps currant/berries/etc., but here it is evenly matched by the florals. It adds a sort of tart sweetness to keep everything from going to powder.

I do wish I could pick up more on some of the "warm" scents, but this is... tolerable to my jasmine-fatigued nose.

Both throw and waft are medium (a little heavier on the waft) but I did apply very sparingly. A little really does go a long way with this one.

I'd say this is the perfect scent to go with my more "Gothy" summer dresses/moods.

Edited by darkitysnark

Hm, in the bottle I can smell most of the notes, but on my skin it amps up all the florals and then it becomes soapy. Bummer, as I was hoping this one wouldn't morph too much on my skin. Alas!

In the bottle: Jasmine, but it seems more like the American Cape Jasmine than the old world "Official" Jasmine. A little lighter, with maybe a hint of fruitiness underneath.

First on: This is quite nice... although it's a darn good thing I love jasmine, because any blend with any of it is pretty hard-core jasmine on my skin and this round of shopping just about everything had jasmine in. Boy it's annoying to repeat jasmine jasmine jasmine over and over again. There's something light under this blend... maybe the moonflower and ylang ylang. I do not detect anything spicy or woody or frankincensey.

Dry: A fairly fast fader, with the black currant just providing a faint discuss further.

Overall: A keeper. But I'm not buying anymore of the unmentionable flora next time around until I use all of my blends with the nameless plant up.

at first: heavy, sweet flowers and tart black currant. very nice.

on: lots of ylang ylang and other flowers. very pretty.

half an hour later: an earthy, slightly sweet floral.

1 hour later: more watery now. i think there's more lily.

2 hours later: lilies and other flowers.

overall: this is pretty, but i probably wouldn't wear it.

Short review: A lovely, clean, crisp floral with undertones of cardamom, sandalwood, and frankincense.

Longer review:

Wet: Jasmine and ylang-ylang with a darker, resin-and-wood undertone which is barely noticeable. Hmm. Not sure about this; my skin likes to amp ylang-ylang and jasmine. Still, it was a gift from the Lab, so I'll give it a try.

Drydown: The sandalwood and frankincense step in to keep the florals in check. The cardamom gives it a slightly spicy, earthy (but not at all dirty) hint. Every now and then, I get a slightly tart-fruity waft which must be the black currant and something that smells like fresh-from-the-comb honey (which is probably the ylang-ylang mellowing out). This scent manages to evoke dancing on dewy grass in the moonlight, yet also gives off a certain sense of sophistication, even haughtiness--it would work equally well on a night-time hike, a chic garden party, at work, or when one must appear perfectly pulled-together. It's slightly reminiscent of Sea of Glass in its crispness and clarity (though the similarity ends there, as Pannychis doesn't have the salt, ozone, or citrus tang of Sea of Glass) and slightly reminiscent of my beloved Unicorn in its sense of lucidity and feyness. Yes, that's it: Pannychis is a more worldly, grown-up Unicorn, or perhaps the maiden used to lure the Unicorn.

Pannychis is a beautiful blend--once it dries, no note is jarring or overpowers the others. They mingle in a very harmonious manner; I'm reminded of the sound of chimes or sleigh bells, though this is more of a spring scent than a winter one. Throw is medium without being overpowering, and the sandalwood and frankincense help it last.

Final verdict: 5ml, come next paycheck. This might replace Paris as my favourite clean, complex, almost-aquatic floral.

Edited by PirateMaggie

Bottle: Jasmine and Jasmine and Jasmine. I'm very worried, since jasmine usually does very bad things on my skin.

Wet: Well, so far, this jasmine is not bad. This is jasmine with a sort of medicinal note behind it. Its slightly anaesthetic, which I think is the cardamom.

Dry: Reasonably okay jasmine (not catpee like some other jasmines, but I'm just not a jasmine fan), with that numbing ylang-ylang? smell. I give this blend props for not going soapy yet. It’s a sweet heady floral with a hint of medicinal spice. No fruit or resin.

By 30 mins in, this is a one-note wonder, all jasmine all the time.

Overall: Okay, as far as jasmine goes, this one is good. It doesn't go cat-potty on me as some other blends do. I should look over the jasmine blends I had bad luck with and see if they were other than night-blooming. Lasts 4-5 hrs. This scent is pretty, it just isn't me.

Slighty spicy and resiny white florals with currant. The lotus and jasmine aren't nearly as obtrusive as I was expecting. This is a beautifully balanced fragrance, earthy and soft. It fades after two hours or so on me down to a faint fruity jasmine, though.

In the Bottle: So lovely! Spicy, dark florals, to me, with the jasmine just barely peeking through.

Wet: :::and jasmine delivers a one-two punch and LadyNoah is down! Looks like a KO, folks!:::

Dry: It's muted down some, but the throw is kicking my ass. Jasmine! Jasmine just hates my guts. She puts me down, kicks me some more, and flings sand in my face for good measure. Dammit! Off to sell.

Pannychis ITB: Sweetened baby oil. I wish I knew what it is that my nose detects as baby oil. I get the same not in the Voodoo blends.

On: floral and almost harsh, although the jasmine seems to be being held in check by something. The throw is soft but strong. Like plumeria - perhaps it's the moonflower, I don't know what that note smells like.

Dry: Sweet tropical blooms, very very pretty, but a bit on the strong side for day use. This will be ideal for special occassions, as it is quite beautiful.