Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Spirit of the Divine Messenger, the Lord of the Crossroads, He Who Owns All Doors and Roads in this World. He is the intermediary between the Orishas and mankind, and stands at the intersection of humanity and the Divine. He opens all paths of communication, both mundane and Heavenly. His ofrenda contains coconut, tobacco and sweet, sugared rum

In the bottle sweet, slightly achoholic, and a tad spicey.

On I get the coconut but not in a super sunblocky way. The sweetness is there as is a tad of the rum and spice. Its a very light scent on me and wants to disappear. I tried adding a smidge more to finish this review. It is a mix of spices and might smell like the tropics (not in the way they smell bottled by glade or coppertone though) The main notes I keep getting are a very natural coconut and the slight spice that must be the tobacco.

Its a nice scent that I could see working for both guys and girls, but for me its just a little to short holding. I am a touch sad since it smells so amazing in the bottle I might have to try it on my guy. Edited by Shollin

Elegba

Woo Hoo! I love Beth’s Rum notes, so I do! This is very sugary rum when first on, but very quickly a lovely coconut (or even, maybe, coconut milk rather than the meat, but fresh, fresh, not dried or bottled) joins it in almost buttery harmony (not like buttered rum, but that sort of creamy-smooth-sweet texture. The tobacco leaf adds a little substance, but isn’t heavy (and for those who don’t already know – tobacco leaves don’t smell anything like burning tobacco. It always cracks me up when someone assumes s/he is going to smell like an ashtray because there is tobacco in a blend, and then manages to convince her/himself that scent is really there. Think slightly spicy, brown, faintly-to-quite sweet, smooth, and substantial in a grounded way – a round scent, never harsh, dusty or smoky).

This is a warm, friendly, humorous blend. Elegba may be the conduit for communication between here and beyond, but he isn’t solemn, if these are his standard offerings. I don’t know Elegba, but I’m guessing that when asked in the proper way he opens doors and reveals paths with a broad smile and a friendly wave to go right on ahead. :P

I’m having a tough week with the scents – everything seems very light on me, and a little muted, although I had Dorian on a little while ago and it seemed strong and clear enough. I think the grass pollens are playing with my sense of taste/smell. I’m not sure Elegba is all that strong past the first few minutes (lovely strong rummy wet throw), but it seems to linger with a warm (actually physically warm), close aura, sending up little wisps and tendrils of rum and coconut now and then, today. I’ll have to try it again when the pollen levels drop, or I find a better antihistamine and see if it has more staying power than it seems to right now. Still, decanted into a roller bottle to take along in purse or pocket, it wouldn’t be a trial to reapply in the course of a day at the beach followed by a night of dining and dancing, or on a picnic and Frisbee session in the park, or whatever fun and Summery thing one is moved to do inspired by the weather and the energy this blend exudes. I really like this. Keeper!

elegba.jpg

A perfect refinement of butter/rum scent without any hint of "off" undertones. Great slight whiff of coconut, bit of booze and a spice, as the description says. I want to compare it to Grog (the great butter/cream/rum/coconutty scent which I love love love). These two are related in some way and express a different aspect to the butter rum at which the Lab excels.

So after a side-by-side test I found out that Grog is heavier/foodier/more like rice cooking/ boozier and Elegba is lighter/more floral/and has a component which smells like stone*. I think Elegba is more the summer version of Grog and if I wanted to have a whole butter/booze/cream wardrobe I would pick Elegba for my summer scent.

*This is one sort of scent I discovered as a child which I cannot express any other way. "It smells like stone" means just that, there are some rocks which have a scent, and this is like that. The other one I discovered is "smells like fabric, like silk" which is the scent of wet chiffon. You have to experience these two classifications of scent and then you will see what I mean. So go out and smell some rocks, helps if they are wet with rain.

For those of you who like comparisons, Elegba is Spooky without the chocolate and the mint.

For those of you who don't, Elegba is just... guh. It's coconut and rum, with a soft smoke tinge to the very bottom of the scent, grounding it. It's so beautiful.

I'm completely in love with this scent. It's exactly as described and I can smell every note listed. The rum comes out first with a nutty undertone that I'm sure is the tobacco. Within a few minutes, the two of them part to reveal the coconut and all three mingle brilliantly. I totally smell like a pirate.

I'm kicking myself for only ordering an imp instead of a 5mL because, as others have said, it does seem to fade fairly quickly. I want more more more.

In the vial I get a sweet, buttery rum scent. On application, there's no butter at all...I get a pure burnt sugar smell, reminicent of Sugar Skull a bit but much softer. The rum shows up immediately and I'm sniffing up sweet boozy goodness with a just a touch of smokiness. This softens on me pretty immediately, and that's when the coconut shows up - which is when I expected to write off Elegba. Not a fan of coconut at all...except...that this is delicious. It's warmly sweet and light at the same time and the tobacco leaf adds a touch of roundness, grounding it and making coconut a friend. The drydown of this reminds me of Perversion, which is great for me. Somehow I get an almost leathery note in the drydown.

This is cheering and lighthearted and comforting. It's soft and doesn't have alot of throw, and it's one I'd have to slather...it disappears rather quickly on me. Which is actually a-ok in summertime. :P And as He's also an opener of doors as well as the Divine Messenger, I'm going to need to get my hands on some more of this. It helps me feel better about some tough, scary choices I have facing.

If anyone's interested, there's a some great info about Elegba here.

Origin - imp fresh from the lab

Wet - rum and coconut.

Dry - as it dries it stays true, rum and coconut. It's sweet and delicious and I need a big bottle of this. I don't really notice the tobacoo in this. It fades rather quickly, after about an hour it's still there, but very faint, I really have to sniff my wrist to smell it. If you are a coconut lover like I am, this is the ultimate coconut scent.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 5.

At first whiff, this is sweet, creamy coconut...

then BAM! HERE COMES THE RUM! :P

At first, the rum completely overwhelms the coconut. It's very much like Grog but less buttery. As the scent dries down, the coconut peeps back out...it's a bit creamier than the coconut in Spooky, but not by much, and the edges are tinged with tobacco.

This is the epitome of Dark Tropical Scents. I would have preferred more milkiness, but this is pretty nice :D

Initial Impression:

Mmmm coconut rum

After Wearing It:

Wet, Elegba smelled exactly like Grog did on me while it was wet: sweet, creamy butterscotch. Boozy yes, but more candylike than anything else and very, very yummy.

After the strong wave of butterscotch crashed upon my senses, it quickly receded revealing the coconut underneath which popped up and dominated the fragrance. It was a gorgeously sweet coconut, falling somewhere between a dessert-type coconut smell and the coconut smell we know from suntan oil, rather than the milder, almost waxy coconut note I remember from The Star and from the opening stages of Spooky. This coconut blends with the rum and a hint of spice (clove maybe?) and becomes pure coconut rum, straight up. It makes Elegba smell like an island vacation concentrated in liquid form, and it's utterly intoxicating.

As the hours wear on a the sweet booziness of Elegba backs off a bit, and a smoky/woody note that could only be the tobacco emerges and starts to gain strength. In some ways in this stage, Elegba smells like air heavy with incense. Not incense blended and burned for ritual purposes, but used for ambiance. A cheap, but pleasant stick incense in a very sweet fragrance burning in a dorm room somewhere. The smell could also be compared to the smoke of scented pipe tobacco, but lighter. It's just sweet, dark and foggy. Very pleasant, hazy and muddled. Just divine!

Final Thoughts:

I love this. It's so delicious and fun! Great staying power too. I think this may have made it into my top ten.

In the bottle:

Ooohhhh I love this already *swoon* So coconut-y and warm!

On me:

This is already one of my favorites. This is warm and buttery sweet, but not too much so. It makes me think of Grog but it's not as sweet or heavy, and the coconut lends a tropical, beachy feel to this one. It does wind down a lot after just 15 minutes or so but that nice coconut and rum smell is complimented nicely by just a faint hint of spicey tobacco. This is wonderful.

Final note:

Big bottle for sure, I adore this! I just wish it didn't fade so fast on me. Oh well, I'll just have to reapply a lot! :P

Preconceived notions:

There's almost zero chance of my not loving this one. I love tobacco and rum (and sugar in conjunction with rum) and I'm pretty fond of coconut, so I fully expect to love Elegba. :D

First sniff:

Good God, is that gorgeous! I assumed I'd really like Elegba (hence my buying a 10mL unsniffed), but...wow. Just wow. Sweet rum reminiscent of Grog, but with coconut instead of butter. I don't smell any tobacco yet, so I'm hoping it shows up once I put this on, but even as is, it's gorgeous. :P

Wet on skin:

Oh. My. God. I'm in love, pure and simple. I thought I adored Grog, but Elegba...oh my. The first thing I smell (and the strongest note) is sweet, sweet rum but the tobacco is starting to put in an appearance, too. This is so beautiful and exactly what I'd envisioned when I first read the description of this one. Perfect!

Dry down:

The super sweetness has died away leaving a slightly sugary rum and tobacco scent with just a tiny hint of coconut. This has some similarities to both Grog and Spooky, but it's definitely its own scent. This smells so good. None of the notes are overpowering and even the coconut manages to be present without making me smell like I'm slathered in suntan lotion. Elegba is perfectly balanced and perfectly delicious.

The bottom line:

I'm in love, pure and simple. Elegba is gorgeous and just what I'd envisioned. :D

Elegba is butterscotch with an added helping of sugar to make it super sweet. The rum note becomes stronger after a few minutes, morphing the scent to butter rum.

It remains very sweet.

After a half-hour or so, the coconut starts to make an appearance. Elegba is then reminiscent of a boozy suntan lotion. Oddly enough, there is an undertone of something that smells like sand. The mixture of sand and coconut reminds me strongly of the beach.

Elegba is a lovely, sweet scent smiliar to Grog and Baron Samedi. I will have to compare the three side by side to see where they differ.

Elegba is sugary sweet. The kind of sweet that makes me feel like I'm getting cavities just from sniffing it, lol. I don't ever smell any coconut from this blend... perhaps a hint of sweet tobacco in the background. It also isn't as boozy as I thought it would be (Grog smelled more alcoholic on me).

It fades pretty fast (lasted about 2 hours on me) but it is crazy sugared sweetness while it lasts. Has a smooth buttery quality from the rum. In its final stage, it smells just like I pasted sugar water onto my skin.

I like Elegba a lot, but I don't know that I'd ever buy a full size bottle of it. I love foodie scents, so I already have a lot of sweet/sugary fragrances. And I love a lot of them a lot more than I like Elegba... so I wouldn't wear this one enough to justify a full bottle purchase.

This smells like buttery rum in the bottle. When I put it on, I get buttery rum, sugar and toasted coconut. The coconut smells different than the coconut in Spooky (which I don't really care for). I love this together. I ordered a 2nd bottle and have been reapplying like a mad women. This scent is a bit dark, a bit sweet and a bit toasted coconut. It's quite unique and I love it.

Thank goodness I had the good sense to order a 10ml of this.

In the bottle--gorgeous sugared rum and coconut.

On skin-- at first, there's a sort of butterscotchy scent and something very dry and smoky.

Drying--butterscotch and rum and coconut. It's a bit like Grog, but darker and more complex. It's also a bit like Spooky, but not mint-chocolate.

Dry--a bit like suntan oil, and I mean that in a gooood way. Like sweet, sugared coconut with a splash of rum.

I had been waffling about ordering an imp of this because the coconut in Black Pearl vanished on me completely, but a very kind lady included an imp in my swap package.

At first, this is nothing but coconut on me. Roasted coconut, maybe.

As it dries, the tobacco and rum show up, along with vanilla. Where's that coming from?

The coconut lasts in this one, and remains the dominant note on my skin. On me, this is a lot like Perversion minus the leather and plus coconut. I haven't tried Grog, so I can't compare them.

I already have a bottle of Perversion on the way, so I don't think I'll need one of Elegba. If you like smoky rum and coconut, try this!

Wet, Elegba is sweet boozy coconut, like Grog with coconut and smoke added. I like this better than Grog...it's more wearable, less candy-sticky. As it dries, it becomes similar to Perversion, only sweeter and without the leather, and it ends up as just sweet tobacco.

This is OK, but I love Perversion and already have a bottle of it, so I'll probably swap Elegba.

Oh yum!

This is boozy sweet/sugary rum with a hint of coconut. Less sweet than grog though, which gave me tooth decay. The rum is VERY similar to Perversion's, but not quite as dark.

If you wanted to like Perversion but found the leather and smokey notes ruined it for you, Elegba is for you! It's like Captain Morgan's meets Malibu Rum.

Edited by Rheliwen

In the imp: Woo! Sweet! Coconut goodness with sweet rum. The tobacco note lingers in the background.

First on: OMG. I love this! And I think tobacco must love me. Either that or the rum. Coconut is always good, but the last few oils I've tried (including my CTII) with either of these have just been off the charts!

After three hours: Still wonderful. I can not.stop.sniffing my arm.

Big, BIG BOTTLE. I just want to drown myself, my house, my car...

ETA: 20-odd hours later and I can still get a faint whiff of sweet coconut if I sniff directly. I have never had any scent last that long.

Edited by Scarlett

I was really looking forward to Elegba but alas, we were not meant to be :P . Wow, this is so sweet and sugary at first, much more of a sugar rush than Grog, to which it is quite similar when wet. Eventually, I get the lovely aroma of tobacco leaf but now the buttery aspect of the rum is trying to cover it up. I never get much coconut out of this and what I do get smells kind of like dirty coconut, not the fresh, white, creamy kind from Snow White and Spooky. I'm sure this smells amazing on other people.

coconut, tobacco and sweet, sugared rum

in the bottle: sweet, sugary, delicious, buttery rum :P

wet: yummy, briefy has the plastic smell i get w/ snow white. but only for a few seconds it is sweet, spicy alcohol w/ a brown sweet undercurrant i am assuming is the tobacco leaf

dry: stays very much the same. this is a caramel brown color to me. sticky sweet in a good way, slightly coconut, cassionaly plasticy and the rum makes it grown up and sexy.

divine rum and coconut!! smells like a new needed bottle to me :P

this is pretty strong going on, and i like it that way

this is certainly the right scent to slather and exactly what i would imagine an offering to elegba would be.

tropical... and now developing some brown sugar.

i find it to be a lot less sweet than grog. it doesnt have that butterscotch candy smell. i highly recommended it if you like rum and coconut

eta: because nouns are important

Edited by velvet

LOVE this!! :P

In the imp, ever so light and slightly sweet coconut with a rich, semi-sweet tobacco. Just applied I get a lovely, buttery rum in addition to the above. It's never too sweet, just right and SO VERY YUMMY!! Not really foody on me. Stays pretty true to imp upon drydown and wears for hours. Only thing about it that changes as the hours go by is that it becomes even more beautiful. Becomes part of my skin almost. Reminds me a bit of Carnal in that way. Not the same smell/s, more the feel of it.

A rich, voluptuous blend.

Definitely big bottle worthy~Elegba = :D

Hey, work it with the coconut! :P

Wet: Mmmmmm, exotic lightly rummed coconut

On me: All coconut, all the time

Impresssion: It's Spooky minus the mint chocolate.

Verdict: Well, I do like it, not thinking I need a bottle for it.

First Impression: Put the rum in the coconut and drink it all up!

Second Impression: This is what I call a "bloomer", it starts out thin but as it warms and dries into my skin, the scent just blooms and becomes deep and rich. This scent is amazingly sweet, heavy and rich with toasty, caramelized coconut and clear rum that has been enriched with simple syrup. I don't get much tobacco from this.

Final Analysis: I want an Elegba cocktail. This is the ultimate delicious fragrance. Perfect for a beach holiday.