Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jello

The Perfect Lavender

Ninon is pretty damn perfect, Lilith Victoria is also a close contender snake oil plus lavender= :thud: . Dream is actually close to Luna Azul without the foodiness of the mango.

Hey there!

Resurrecting this thread to ask for help buying my roommate a Christmas gift.

She usually has cheap lavender-scented candles and wall plug-ins in her bedroom. I want to buy her an oil burner along with a bottle of lavender BPAL so she can upgrade to a nicer type of room scent!

I need something GC (because it's a gift and I don't want to have to go on any wild goose chases for something potentially used). I've never tried any lavender-dominant blends, and I need something that will smell good in an oil burner. I was considering Paris.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

TKO is a good sweet (almost marshmallow-y) lavender from the Panacea line, the trading post also has a bath oil in it. I would second Paris as a gift, for me it worked well in a burner rather than my skin.

TKO is a good sweet (almost marshmallow-y) lavender from the Panacea line, the trading post also has a bath oil in it. I would second Paris as a gift, for me it worked well in a burner rather than my skin.

Cool, thank you! Good to know someone has had positive results burning Paris (er... you know what I mean! :lol: )

Anyone else have any thoughts? TKO seems to get mixed reviews - some people get heavy lavender, others don't.

See, this is precisely why I should try harder to sniff blends that I don't necessarily think I'll want for myself! Sigh.

Baku, Temple of dreams, and Love and Pain are all great lavenders as well. Love and Pain is more woody, baku is more herbal lavender and temple is sweeter

TKO also costs a bit more, being a Panacea, so that's something to bear in mind. Someone used to cheap candles and oils might burn through (literally) a lot of expensive BPAL if they're not careful!

(Says she who finally got an oil burner and now realizes she needs a good eyedropper or pipette to avoid accidentally drowning 2/3 of a perfectly good imp at one go. :huh?: )

Lavender is a very diverse genus; there are dozens of different species and the oils have different qualities. BPAL must have a line on some really good stuff from uncommon sources. It is certainly a revelation to people who are only used to the cheap stuff (or, God forbid, fake lavender). I like all kinds of lavender, even the cheap essential oil I keep around to throw in the laundry and what not, but BPAL's lavenders are very sophisticated.

Edited by urbantravels

I am a yooooooge lavender fan so will weigh in here on the blends that are available as GCs ...

I would opt for Temple of Dreams, Baku or Somnus from the Somnium line or Dove's Heart from the Conjure Bag section of Bewitching Brews (I am pretty sure there is a separate section for that on the new site).

Personally? Not a fan of TKO at all ... it's too much sweetness/vanilla (if you're a fan of Lush products, it's a lot like Twilight -- NOT the BPAL Twilight), and -- again, just for me -- neither Nanshe (citrus, dishwater) or Oneroi (bubble-gum) worked for me among the other Somnium scents.

If you can find it in swap or for sale on the forum, since it has been temporarily DC'd from the Panacea line, I'd also look at Quietude. Nummmmmm.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!

After a lot of research (i.e. review-reading), I decided to go with Temple of Dreams. It sounds the closest to what I was aiming for. Hopefully roomie will like it! And yeah, totally going to have to warn her to only use a tiny bit at a time in the burner. I learned that lesson myself the hard way the first time I burned BPAL - it was Miskatonic University... so, a delicious mistake, but a mistake nonetheless! :lol:

After a lot of research (i.e. review-reading), I decided to go with Temple of Dreams.

I see you've already made your decision, so I'm a bit late... but I would have recommended the Erebos atmospheric spray from BPTP (reviews here) - it's a beautiful lavender with soft vanilla and subtle florals, really beautiful and a must-try for lavender lovers. Because it's designed for a room scent rather than a skin scent, I think it would have been a better choice because BPAL oils don't always translate fragrance the same way they do on your skin when used in an oil burner. If you want to give it a try, I'm pretty sure you could find a goblin squirt of Erebos for sale on the forum (or post an ISO) :smile:

But - I have Temple of Dreams, and it is great too - I hope your friend loves it!

After a lot of research (i.e. review-reading), I decided to go with Temple of Dreams.

If you want to give it a try, I'm pretty sure you could find a goblin squirt of Erebos for sale on the forum (or post an ISO)

Ooh that sounds good as well! Maybe I'll try to find some. I've actually never tried the atmo sprays but I'm curious!

If you want to give it a try, I'm pretty sure you could find a goblin squirt of Erebos for sale on the forum (or post an ISO)

Ooh that sounds good as well! Maybe I'll try to find some. I've actually never tried the atmo sprays but I'm curious!

I definitely recommend the Erebos.

Resurrecting to ask if anyone one has favorite chocolate and lavender scents outside of Wulric? Or creamy, soft, similar in feeling lavender and vanilla or tonka scents?

Resurrecting to ask if anyone one has favorite chocolate and lavender scents outside of Wulric? Or creamy, soft, similar in feeling lavender and vanilla or tonka scents?

Haven't smelled Lurid Bonbon yet, but that might fill in for the wulric

Haven't smelled Lurid Bonbon yet, but that might fill in for the wulric

For lavender + vanilla I'd say Capax Infiniti (A scent warmed by a whole lot of love: honey-snuggled skin musk, sweet vanilla ice cream residue, and lavender oil (Lilith’s favorite!), with a gentle hint of Dorian) and/or Who In the World Am I? (Sheer vanilla, hinoki wood, lavender, bergamot, cotton blossom, and lightly spiced oriental blossoms)

Depending on how well you get along with woodsy blends I'd recommend How Doth the Little Crocodile (Chocolate peppermint, mint-soaked vanilla, pistachio, oakmoss, and green cedar) too. I know there's no lavender so that might defeat the purpose, however the peppermint with moss gives it an herbal vibe, and with all the sweeter notes it presents similarly to lavender. The sharper choc-vanilla is very Wulric to me.

Edited by Balame

No help with the chocolate and vanilla hunt, but I wanted to mention that BEWILDERED IN A DREAM (Company says: A disorienting eddy of French lavender, black tea, orange blossom, sharp green tea leaf, pink flowering thorn, and a blot of inky resins.) is amazing.

Searching for another lavender blend, how about lavender/coconut?

Hmmm, the only lavender and coconut blend that I can think of off the top of my head is Antonino, the Carny Talker: White musk, wild plum, vetiver, black coconut, verbena, fig, and lavender. But some people seem to pick coconut up in TKO, so that might also be worth trying?

Try Fairy Bites! I absolutely adore this one. There's much more to it than that, but those notes and the herbal mint are the most prominent to me.

I'm here to sing the praises of Stealthily, Stealthily as a lavender scent that's romantic and old-fashioned but not soporific. It's got a lovely French dusting-powder vibe with violet and orris aspects.

If you happen to still be looking and haven't tried it already - Daybreak!

just wanted to add in a new favorite lavender bpal from 2017:

18 June 1860: On this date, the first wet plate photograph of an eclipse was taken. Shimmering amber, collodion, silver nitrate accord, and white lavender.

also the lilith scent goddess of mischief is a fantastic perfume featuring....lavender!