Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

I'm sitting here in the middle of a *total* downpour, windows thrown open, lights off, while outside the rain just buckets down over the asphalt and the leaves and the dirt alley behind my apartment - but I can't smell any of those things, because all that's in the air is the scent of *water*.

I want to smell like that.

So - any recommendations? (I'd really, really, *really* prefer things that are in the current catalogue.) I'm not a fan of florals, and am not looking for "showers on flowers," or ocean scents, or things to complement a rainy day, anything like that - just *rain*. I figure if anyone can do it, Beth can.

Help a girl out? :P

Edited by vyvyan

Here are some threads that came up by me searching for titles containing the word "rain":

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=13508

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=6137

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=2919

My personal suggestion would be Neo Tokyo for something to complement the rain. Or you could do a cozy scent like Dana O'shee, if the rain makes you want to cuddle... :P

Lightning. :P It was very aquatic & ozone from what I remember.

Maybe also look into obtaining an imp of Hurricane to try out. I have not sniffed that one personally, but it sounds like it might be up your alley.

I have to second the Hurricane recommendation, definitely rain and no florals in there. I haven't tried Lightening or Tempest, they might be good. Neo-Tokyo is very unique, maybe a little more metallic than you are looking for but worth a try.

Ditto on Tempest

Sea of Glass smells quite rainy to me.

BTW, vyvyan, the Lab has a wonderful search engine. If you choose Aquatic/Ozone/Marine from the pick list of scent families, it will bring up a lot of great choices!

Gentle spring rain is Szepasszony; not the atmoshpere-clearing storms you were asking about though...

Tempest!!!! It is the best rain scent that I've tried. Not the downpour, but the gentle sprinkle of rain and the mist it brings.

I haven't found one yet. Tempest is close, but on me it was very floral. I haven't tried Lightning, though--you might have some luck with that.

So far, every BPAL aquatic has been way too ozone/dryer sheet to my nose =/ I'm terribly curious about Kingsport, but I'm not about to bid on a bottle unsniffed. The closest scent I've ever come to water was actually Shanghai, believe it or not--like sweet, running water :P

I'll chime in with the Hurricane recommendation. I got my imp the same day Hurricane Charley tore through Florida, and it smells *exactly* the same. Honestly, I have not a clue how a bunch of Californians can pinpoint the scent of dampness coupled with broken trees, but... wow.

-doreen

Oh, also, I don't know if this helps or not, but to me and many others Ulalume smells like a forest in the rain. It is a little floral due to the lilies, but the aquatic note itself does not strike me as floral (i.e. Tempest). Worth a try, even if it's not exactly what you're looking for.

Zombi has that rain on dry dusty Earth smell. you know, the smell just before it hits.

however, it also has rose. so I guess that would come under floral

Good topic!

I've now tried Lightning, Storm, and Storm Moon, and none of them smelled like this - they were all either too minty or too citrusy. Storm Moon was the closest - the rain scent was there... it was just accompanied by lemon dish soap :P.

So, which of the former recommended scents would you say are less citrusy/minty?

Empyreal Mist is the *only* one I've tried that felt truly clean enough to be rain. It is the scent of cool mist rising from a waterfall. If you want sunshine warming your rain, Water of Notre Dame. :P If you want a *very* few clean, damp flowers in a flood of rain--Amsterdam. I actually swapped that one b/c it was 99% rain on me and that wasn't quite what I wanted.

Oh, I wanted to add....

Okay, it's not really a 'rain' scent, but I can't help but plug one of my most favourite fragrances, The Hermit. It has a watery, though not aquatic, scent coupled with some really light florals, so maybe it could be suitable.

-doreen

Hello, newbie here and haven't made any orders yet. I have a very specific type of scent in mind and was wondering if BPAL had anything like it.

I'm looking for the smell you find when you walk outside after a heavy spring rainstorm--not a thunderstorm, just rain, clean and cold and soaking absolutely everything. Afterwards, it's misty and cool and water droplets still seem to hang in the air, accompanied by the green scent of grass and the fresh dark earthiness of wet soil. A bit rainforest-y, but not as warm. I don't want heavy florals, just a very very wet drenched-plant smell. Floral notes are fine as long as they're just in the background and aren't overpowering.

Any ideas? :P

to me, Szepasszony is being caught outside in a light spring shower if that helps at all...

I'm totally looking for that scent, too, but I'm not sure if it exists here in BPAL land. I thought Graveyard Dirt might be it, but that vanishes poof! on me within 10 seconds of applying it. Burial seems to have a bit of the damp earthy feeling, however my skin amps the rose in it and so Burial doesn't really work for me, either, though you may want to try it. I wish you luck and if you find something, please report back. :P

There are a couple BPAL scents that remind me of rainy moments from my childhood.

Hurricane (one of my favorites) on me smells like walking around in a raspberry patch after a summer rain. It doesn't smell fruity, it smells like raspberry branches.

Brimstone smells like a rained out bonfire at the creek.

"It reminds me of the way rain water smells on the sidewalk on a warm summer day." - snippet from my review of Thunderbird. And Glasgow and Thunderbird smelled similar to me.

So you might want to give those a try :P

Also, I don't like florals... but I did like the wet/tropical smell of Bayou.

Oooh, thanks, you guys! :P

Szepasszony and Hurricane were already on my "to-sample" list, but I'll have to try the others as well.