Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
twistygirl

Haitian Lover

A highly sexual, passionately primal love oil for men.

Beth sent this to me as an extra in my last order, and as I don't have a man in my life to slather this on, I am trying it on myself. When I first applied it, I distinctly smelled something like licorice underneath, but I have no idea what it was. Now that it has dried, it has morphed into a very sensual scent - there is the herbal aroma common to all the Voodoo Blends, but this one also has some woodsy tones. It's complex, I can't pinpoint any particular note, and it is VERY masculine but for some reason I would consider wearing this myself whereas some of the other more "unisex" fragrances (like Oberon) I wouldn't. That's probably because this one doesn't have the "bite" that I find in a lot of masculine scents. This would be great to try as an imp for those of you who are looking for something yummy for a man, I could definitely see myself being a sucker for a guy who wore this.

I have to second that. I gave my imp to my brother-in-law. When I was opening it for him to smell, I spilled a bit on my fingers and without thinking rubbed it on the t-shirt I was wearing...

It started off spicy...I didn't really get licorice, but a definite exotic spice. I mellowed into a nice, sexy masculine scent. It smelled warm...and kind of a spicy/sunny/warm feeling. I'll buy it again when I get a regular guy in my life.

My brother-in-law really liked it and my sister liked it on him....I wish I could remember more, but we were coloring Easter eggs and it was a bit hectic.

I should have kept more of my single notes to compare against for when my nose gets confused.

Sticky-sweet on, I can barely stand the first couple of minutes of Haitian Lover. Luckily, I got distracted by my toddler on the way to the bathroom to wash it off, and sniffed again about five minutes later. What a surprise! Softly sexy man-skin, with what I think is Siberian Musk (knew I should have kept those Single Note imps!). Sniffing again almost fifteen minutes later, I have subtle warmth coming off my wrist, and the gentle not-powdery-powder scent of ambergris that's dried down for a while.

I don't get A highly sexual, passionately primal love oil for men as much as I get the manly version of O. Sexual, yes. Soft, passionate kisses for a half hour, yes.

Love oil, no doubt about it.

When I wore this, I was transported back to my childhood visit to Jamaica. I was sitting on a stack of burlap bags in the back of a relative's store, eating a tamarind candy. The smell of sugar and sticky fruit and hemp/burlap ... that's what this oil makes me think of.

The initial impression was of sticky guava or plums - sweet, slightly fermented, the juice left on the knife after an afternoon in the sun. Then I smelled leather, or resiny hemp ... the fruit was not as strong. Spicy, but I wouldn't describe that as the dominant note.

Its masculine, but I will wear this myself!

FIRST SNIFF: almond oil turning rapidly into black licorice

WEARING IT: the blackest licorice - not a scent i would wear b/c again, i think it's fairly masculine. ill try it on my boyfriend tonight to see what happens when it gets together with the fire of love that i'll be wearing :P

UPDATE: it's been put to the test! i doused myself in fire of love and kevin put on haitian lover and i went from being in a sickly, don't touch me state of mind to well...you can guess the rest! so, these blends worked well for us :D

Edited by any_old_actress

Wow, my chemistry must be really off. This smells nice in the bottle, kind of like concentrated root beer and red licorice. As soon as it touches me, though, there is a disastrous reaction. A sickly rotting/funky smell appears over a sugary sweetness. As it dries the rot-funk gets stronger and the sweetness becomes a powdery sweetness. It keeps morphing for about 5-10 minutes and the end result is Band-Aids and corn syrup.

I think there might be some sassafras in here, due to the root beer smell and also because Tombstone did a very similar thing, and all the other ingredients in Tombstone all work great with me except for the sassafras.

Final thoughts - if sassafras works with your chemistry, this would be very nice.

Intial thoughts: A dark spicy version of juicyfruit gum.

After putting it on my wrist I can relate to the idea that it smells like rootbeer, I was smelling that too. Eventually this tamed down and mophed into a honey scent. Kind of like a more mellow version of O. I need to find a man to see what it would smell like on him. At the moment I am having delusions of honey poured over a man and me licking it off of him. Rahr!!!

Edited by Sistinas

I had my roommate try this on first. "Here, be my guinea pig." He slathered on a good amount, and he said he "smelled like candy." I didn't really get close enough to smell him (don't want him thinking anything funny), but even though he smelled like "red hots," he liked the scent enough to want to reapply later. The scent did last on him a good while, considering we went to a bar and a theatre and a pizzeria and he could STILL smell it on his wrists.

Not bad. So I give it a go.

In the bottle it smells very cinnamony, not quite as intense as fireballs, but maybe "red hots." But once I put the oil on my skin, there's this maraschino cherry smell I do NOT find appealing. It's reminiscent of the plastecine smell that I detected in The Hesperides that appeared on me when I tried that on. Ugh, I don't want to smell like a bright red cherry!! I scowl for a while....

....until I notice that a full two or three hours later the scent has done a serious turnabout and now all I smelled was CHOCOLATE! Good heavens, where did that come from? The chocolate smell was dandy, but in the end, I decide that it's not worth the three hour wait for my body to process cherry goo into chocolate bliss. I'll likely pass this onto the roommate if he does dishes at any time this week or takes out the trash. Which means I'll likely put this in the swapola pile.

-doreen

Received as a freebie and as the boyfriend is currently fifteen hundred miles away, gave it a go.

Very almondy in the bottle, but like rotting almonds, dark and sweet and a bit "off."

On my skin, insta-marschino cherries that slid into something darker as the scent mellowed. It smelled like marschino cherries gone corrupted and slightly smokey. There's a faint herbal underneath, something sassafras like. In the end, this just ended up very sweet in a not-innocent sort of way. Decadant and sinful and very come hither. I've added this to my swap pile but if none of the friends pick it up, I'll try it on Jake when I see him.

I got this one from da Minx in a swap. My hubby is right around the corner so...maybe I'll give it a go.

In the bottle its sweet almonds. Way sweet! Like roach spray sweet. Not a good smell.

On me: I can detect cinnamon and something else that I'm not sure of at all. Wait...red licorice. Cinnamon and red licorice. I can tell its cinnamon by the way that my wrist is faintly burning. What an odd combo.

Now let's try it on the sulky hubby. And the verdict....ew.

No, I think this one is going in the swap pile. I can't really call it a pile since there are only 3 there:) Beth, if you can make a oil that my hubby finds irresistable, I think I'd buy a gallon of it!

I have to agree with those who said that Haitian Lover is a version of Voodoo for men. Since I am crazy about Voodoo, I had to try this one. But on me, it was just a tad too masculine, it might have more vetiver than Voodoo? I tried it on my boyfriend but he didn't leave it on long enough for me to get a good idea about how it works with a man's chemistry :P

This started out sweet, slightly reminiscent of a heavy cherry cough syrup scent. VERY quickly it turned spicy, and now it has a leather undertone that reminds me of Hellfire.

I really, really like Hellfire.

Now all I have to do is convince Hubby to try this. If he likes it, he may get lucky. ;-)

haitian lover

at first: this was a freebie from the lab. maraschino cheries with a sharp note on top of it. very interesting.

on: wow. so thick and juicy. definitely maraschino cherries. i can't pick out anything else.

half an hour later: weird. this has turned to plastic on my skin.

1 hour later: yes, i'm still smelling plastic with a hint of something else, maybe licorice not good.

2 hours later: yup. plastic.

5 hours later: now, it smells like some sort of not-so-nice herb.

overall: yeah. this is awful on me. it's a goner.

Woods! and dark cherries! Not cherry cough syrup--real, deep crimson cherries =) I can smell the almonds too. I could almost smell hints of the "bug spray" scent that's been mentioned...but only in the distant perifery.

I can see a dark, beautiful, exotic woman wearing this. That is, not me :P

In bottle: Dark cherries. Deep dark cherries and something almost menthol-y.

On me: I stuck this on my boyfriend while he was sleeping - is that cheating? It's the only way I would've gotten him to try a perfume oil. After a few minutes the cherries faded and it became rather leathery. Leather + cherry = odd, but not unpleasant. I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be a love oil for him or for me, but he was snoring away rather than reacting, and I certainly didn't feel any more passionate than usual. So I curled up beside him and went to sleep.

I had to try this scent. My dad is haitian so I really had to smell Beth's interpretation.

Being that I grew up with Haitian men around, my dad and his 20 brothers, knowing this scent existed humored me. Haitian men in general wear lots of cologne and sometimes wear women's perfume to attract other women. Haitian men also are known to be great lovers, thus my dad having over 30 siblings may be proof of that. I never ventured that route so I cant confirm this accusation.

So as soon as I opened the imp it instantly reminded me of Haitian men. It smelled of their sweat and cologne mixed together reminiscent of the days I would go to the reggae club and the haitian men lurking in the background. It also reminded me of the peering eyes of those men. The kind of stares that seemed to undress you (unwillingly I may add).

I never wanted to date a haitian man because of their animalistic and raw sexual nature. They really know how to create sexual tension. They really know how to make you feel like a chicken leg cooked to perfection.

My skin chemistry did something very odd with Haitian Lover. After about a minute, the scent morphed to... hm.... that smells sort of like balloons... hey, it smells like latex on me. Latex perfume; no, I don't think I'm a good match for this one.

Guess my Haitian Lover was practicing safer sex, huh?

Off to the swap-or-share pile with you, HL. Find someone whose chemistry pleases you, and have a good time.

Bottle (Imp): Oh this is beautiful, sweet.

Just On: Oh, sweetness and something smooth underneath it.

An hour or two later: It's completely morphed into something else.

Around 6 hours: The sweet has left. I'm not sure I like this anymore.

12 hours: Hm. Not sure what I'm smelling, but it's not bad. Very faint.

Overall: I can't figure out what's in this. Some kind of spice, and gods know what else. I like it, don't love it.

After reading other reviews: This seems to be a love it or hate it scents, and I'm smack dab in the middle of those two.

At first, this is dark and spicy--what I expected from the "Haitian" part of Haitian lover. There's a bit of cinnamon and licorice (I normally hate licorice, but it's sort of nice). However, it gets musky, goes to a musky and clean stage, and back to the muskiness. jj_j was right, this really is like the masculine version of O. It really does have that whole sweaty, sweet sex quality, with amber and honey. Actually, after several hours, it just smells like O to me, but not so heavy and headache-inducing.

haitianlover.jpg

I got this as a freebie in a swap and, unfortunately, I think the imp was past its prime. I could smell the remnants of what was once licorice and a kind of voodoo backup of vetiver and maybe clove but the time of its attractiveness is past. This is the first imp I ever laid to rest, but it's over. RIP.

I did the icon before I smelled the blend. I kind of liked the icon and didn't want that to go to waste. The white rooster is a sacred voodoo symbol for the god of fertility, hence the white rooster representing Haitian Lover.

Hatian Lover is actually quite similar to Tarot: The Magician on me. Both have three stages, the latter two being identical. While The Magician goes from herbal to licorice/anise to woodsmoke on me, Hatian Lover goes from almond (eek!) to licorice/anise to woodsmoke. Both take about 15 minutes to reach full woodsmoke potency... I've been wearing Hatian Lover while updating my LJ, and all of a sudden was wondering who in their right mind would have fired up there woodstove in this weather, because I smelled an unseasonable waft of smoke!

Not the best scent for me - though the smoky phase is nostalgic - but it might be lovely on a guy.

I bought this to try on my boyfriend. Just a sniff told me it was way to masculine for me to wear.

In the imp: Sweet and heady. I'm can't pick out any notes.

Wet: Sweet and spicy. Smells a bit like licorice. Not what I'd call sexy...

Dry: It seems to get stronger as it dries. The sweetness dies down a bit, so it's mostly a spicy licorice smell.

Overall, it's not terrible, but I like a lot of other things better, so this is going in the swap pile.

I love to wear any fragrance that was originally intended for a man, so I was excited at the chance to try Haitian Lover.

Unfortunately... this is the almond fragrance of my nightmares. Almond, at its worst on me, smells like insanely boozy/medicinal cherries that have been hanging out in a urinal.

This is very strong and bad on me. I would say that it was a bad imp, but it happens to smell like dark fruit, a hint of something like clove, and smoky-sweet incense on my friend (another girl). On me... not so much. If there isn't almond in here, it's some other sinister note that also hates me with a passion.

I didn't get anything like licorice or cinnamon, but I did end up washing this off after about 40 minutes, so I didn't really explore the drydown. Haitian Lover goes very funky with my skin chemistry.

In the bottle: almond & anise!

First on: This smell reminds me of a certain guy because it smells just like something when we hung out one night. Very anise with a bit of woodsy to it

Drydown: Hasn't changed a bit

Overall: While I would honestly gag if someone were to wear this around me, it does bring back good memories of one of my best friends.