Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tempete

Tezcatlipoca

... Deep cocoa laced with patchouli, leather armor, ritual incense, and a touch of Xochiquetzal’s flowers.

Cocoa and patchouli, what a combination! It’s powdery, smoky and chocolatey. Delicate florals appear as it dries, but they are very light compared to the deep, rich chocolate. I don’t really smell the leather unless I slather it on, but that’s OK. This will be a great autumn scent. Edited by Shollin

holy cocoa puffs, this is a great one. dark, deep cocoa. but not a candy-like scent, it is much more regal. smoky. the leather works great. a rich, worn, antique leather armchair, yes. and it makes me think of bathing on a mountain top in mexico...in an old copper tub filled with steaming cocoa beans! oh, it is good.

Got this in a swap with Gwen. Thank you!

This smells like a chocolatey biscuit, but without the sweetness. On my skin still smells like rich cocoa, and as it dries, I can smell warm leather. Oh this is so good!

Not overly powerful, this hangs close to my skin. Tezcatlipoca last about 3 hours on me, but I have no problem with reapplying.

Overall, this is a keeper.

Patchouli cocoa at first. Fascinating mix. Earthy and sweet. Then the patchouli takes over, with a hint of the incense. The incense comes out after that, with a touch of smoke. Beautiful patchouli/incense mix, but that's it for me. Much later, just dirt.

Wet on me this is very strong patchouli. Dry on me it's leather, dusted in cocoa and what smells to me like ginger. I really love this dry, its warm and comforting, but also some how sexy, I just need to decide if I can deal with the patchouli overload at the beginning on a regular basis.

When I first sniffed this in the imp (which was a fripm from the lab - thanks labbies!) it was love. It smelled like the perfect blend of Tenochticlan, which I love, and dark cocoa bean.

On my skin, the leather and the incense kicked the exotic florals to the ground, however, and took over with the cocoa. All in all, this was just too much for my nose to handle.

Tezcatlipoca has elements of two of my fave BPAL blends: Velvet and Sin. It's got the rich cocoa and what seems like sandalwood from Velvet, and the spiced patchouli from Sin. And then it's got the leather! :P

Of course, it's more than the sum of its parts, and the unusual combination of notes is really good, especially on my boyfriend. On me, I get a lot of the woods on drydown when I'd rather keep some of the cocoa and patchouli. On him it remains balanced all the way through, and it is gorgeous!

This smelled strongly of cocoa in the imp. When I put it on, the leather note got very strong and sharp for a moment, but then faded into the background while the cocoa reemerged.

Once dry, all the notes come into balance. :P It's really wonderful. I can smell light florals, chocolate, resins and leather at about the same intensity. The leather adds just enough dirt to the florals and chocolate to make this sexy and dry.

In the imp, I mostly smelled incense and cocoa, and was hoping for a less-bloody version of Centzon Totochtin. On my skin, it went freakystrong patchouli. The leather emerged in the background, and there was definite incense spice going on, but I pretty much lost the cocoa, so it smelled sort of like a leather jacket on which a dog had been sleeping in an apartment with incense burning nearby (patchouli always smells like dog to me). Not my thing-- too much patchouli.

When I read the ingredients in Tezcatlipoca, I thought oh my hell, chocolate and patchouli -- what more could I want?

In the imp, I mainly smelled the cocoa and patchouli, with a leather background.

On initial application and early dry-down, the leather really blooms. My body amps leather rather efficiently. There's also a strong incense smell coming out.

A few hours later the leather calmed down a lot, leaving a bit of each component part in the sniff. The cocoa probably burned off the most, leaving the patchouli-leather-incense smell. I do like it on me, it's not an everyday scent, but I may get a small bottle for the jollies of it, because I love it as a weekend or evening oil.

valentina

:P

In the bottle: Pencils and cocoa...

Wet...why is this penciley?

Drying down...oooh, I can smell...METAL! This is odd...OLD METAL! Cocoa and a slight, dusty wiff of incense. Pencil smell fading.

Dry: ...the metal is really hanging on...like I have a wrist full of change. Teenie, tiny floral...gives the scent a nice lift. Such an ODD scent. I get an image of the hippies sticking flowers into the ends of soldiers guns during war protests... I may be passing this one on, but I was very glad to have tried it!

Edited by lookingglass

I get CEDAR from this. Lots and lots of cedar. I don't get patchouli at all. Smooth cocoa and cedar at first, which then fades into cedar and...mint?

The cocoa is nearly all gone, and I've had it on for only about a half hour. It's minty and woody. Cool, not warm and cozy.

Nice, but just not for me.

Christ on a cracker I just died and went to sexy!

In the Bottle: I get lots of cocoa but it is covered over with a sinister patchouli. I could not wait to put this on. I couldnt wait to buy it for that matter so much so I bought it unsniffed. I was not disappointed. I fumbled a bit to put it on I was so excited

Wet on My Skin: Mmmm leathery chocolatey patchouli laced orgasm. This is sexy, sexy, sexy. It warms up after a few minutes and I get something that smells almost like cedar maybe that's the Xochiquetzal flowers?

Drydown: Mmmm warm, sexy, luscious, sexy, sultry, sexy, leathery, sexy, chocolatey, sexy. Did I mention it's sexy?

Verdict Glad I bought the 5 mL, wish I'd bought the 10 mL :P

ETA: This smells even better on judas_kiss.

Edited by BlueStar

Cocoa and leather are the strongest in this, a sort of soft, warm masculine smell that wears well on a woman as well. This was gorgeous and soft and absolutely scrumptious. It's cocoa but not so chocaltey as bliss and a bit more vanilla than sweet. yummy!

This is genius. I know, I say this a lot, but this scent...this scent...woah.

BS bought a bottle unsniffed and it is amazing...

In the bottle: Cocoa. Very dark, strong, cocoa. Something is swirling underneath, but I cannot tell what it is...

On: Cocoa is the largely predominant note in the wet phase. It is a drier, darker, powdery cocoa, though. Something you would use to make a "devil's" cake. The smoke and leather start to come out as this dries down and the cocoa takes a back seat, warming everything up, but not dominating the blend anymore. The final note to come forward on me is the florals, which sweetens everything up a bit and makes this a very complex, fabulous scent.

I love this on BS. On me, I don't think I can carry it off, but maybe I'm wrong. For now, it's safe on his side of the oil tray...note I said...FOR NOW.

Tezcatlipoca: This one could be the love child of Velvet and The Coiled Serpent. When I sniff the bottle I get the Chocolate like in most of Beth's Chocolate blends, but then It drys down to a very insency sweet aroma like one of those meditation blends. :D I dont get really any floral which is good for me. All of the notes are blended equally real well and I think that I like this one. :P

Edited by Reinaluna

I really like this one. I like the idea of a chocolate scent, but I don't want to smell like a doughnut. Tezcatlipoca does a great job of balancing different notes to create a spicy, dark, yummy type of scent that isn't too foody. It starts out all chocolate, then slowly dries down to patchouli, with some spice along the way. I don't get leather at all, which is a good thing. This scent reminds me of sipping a xocolatl (spiced Mexican hot cocoa -- if you like this fragrance, you must try xocolatl!) on a fall day. Just beautiful.

Tezcatlipoca starts off as the deepest, darkest, bitterest and most mysterious chocolate I've ever smelled. After a few minutes, it morphs into a general incense smoke scent.

As someone formerly repulsed by the idea of chocolate scented things, I'm extremely surprised by how much I fucking adore the cocoa phase of this oil. Since sniffing a small variety of BPAL oils, I've gotten much more bold in what I'm willing to try... and I guess boldness will be rewarded. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish the chocolate lasted longer.

Don't get me wrong, the incense stage of Tezcatlipoca is wonderful in its own way (and it's exactly the scent I was hoping for when I ordered this)... I'm just so shocked that I actually like the chocolatiness.

This was almost a revolutionary oil for me. I still can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that I've entered the realm of the foodie. There's something beckoning me deeper into the cave -- I suppose it's too late to turn back now. Why fight it? I'm off to scan the catalog for other chocolate scents.

tezcatlipoca is in my top 3 scents and is probably actually #1. it is simply, totally, perfection. i got it as a frimp in my first order and i remember so well opening up the imp and taking a whiff. in the imp the scents are discordant--smoke, chocolate, a tiny bit floral--it blew my smelling circuits. i literally recoiled. but in a "i can't believe that smell!! it's BEAUTIFUL!" kind of way.

on the skin, it opens up and wraps itself around you in an aggressively beautiful way. the chocolate dissipates into the background and the incense comes forward along with a tame and purring patchouli. i like patchouli but it can have claws and has a tendency to scratch it's way to the fore of any blend. not in tezcat. it smells exactly the way a smoking mirror would smell, weirdly enough. it's unique among the 150 lab scents i've tried.

whenever my boyfriend wears it and walks by me i always stop him and have to sniff and say "what ARE you wearing? mmmm!" it has a fantastic sillage, too...obviously.

::sigh:: tezcat love.

--scg

Tezcatlipoca is definitely a *power* scent. It's like Centzon Totochtin without the wine/foodiness, or Greed without the sweetness. It has an exquisite resinous drydown.

Oooh. This starts out like the darkest, most expensive chocolate ever. Then comes the incense and the leather. It ends with a bitter cocoa, smoke and a teeny bit of floral wearing a really well-fitting leather jacket.

If Shub-Niggurath is the "sexy evil girly" scent, Tezcat's the same but more masculine. I'm a really girly girl, but I can see wearing this one pretty often. Sextacular. It's a rather good scent for a to evoke a more dominant state of mind too.

Smooth deep earthy chocolate. At first more chocolate and then as it dries, more earthy. This is a very rich chocolate scent that isn't sweet at all and isn't very foody either. A very unusual blend. Not sure it is for me, but I'm happy to have tried it.

When I put this on it's strong cocoa. It's lovely and warm, and slightly spicy. Shame that this stage lasts all of 3 minutes.

Just as the cocoa starts to fade, the patchouli pushes foward as the main & central component. There's still a slight spiciness to it, but it's mainly patchouli.

This wears on for a while, and sadly the cocoa does not come back. The patchouli softens a bit, and every now and then I can catch a slight hint of the leather note. I'm not getting much incense, but the flowers did make a brief apperance about 2 hours ago. They're gone now.

This is really nice, and if the chocolate aspect lasted more than a few minutes, I'd buy a 10mL of this. But alas, as good as it is, it doesn't necessarily warrant a bigger bottle, considering how many bottles I already have. ;D

Edited by Diana

This smells like dark cocoa with droplets of Centzon Totochtin--animal blood--interspersed. Over time, the cocoa fades, and I mostly get leather, incense, and flowers. At this point, I'm reminded of Tintagel. It has the same warm, red feeling that Tintagel had, except with a lot less leather and less comforting. I suppose I'm not too fond of the flowers in this scent either.

In the bottle: Rich, deep chocolate.

On my skin: Chocolate at first, but this starts to fade as the other components push their way to the front, the patchouli and leather particularly.

Later on: Everything remains deliciously balanced. The chocolate, although more subdued, is still there. The florals have started to peek through some to round out the depth of the other notes. A very subtle, well-balanced blend.