Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Scylla

Mi-Go Brain Canister

In an effort to create a pleasing environment during a surprise trip to Yuggoth, we have created a soothing yet stimulating blend of pink pepper, peony, jasmine, mango, kiwi, pomegranate, pineapple, white ginger, serene white tea and light musks. Bon voyage!

I could smell ginger, soft fruits and flowers. This could have been very pretty- except for the jasmine. Sure enough, alongside all the other wonderous was an 'off' note. The jasmine in this is mild- but still too much for me. I put some on and my boyf sniffed it. He said "yep, nice... oh. It has a slight whiff of, um, poo." My thoughts exactly. I think totally need to avoid jasmine in the future. This'll be the last jasmine blend I try. If you do like jasmine however, this might be a winner as all the other notes are wonderfully nice.

I had a funny feeling that Mi-Go wasn't going to work for me. I just haven't had that much success with fruits.

I actually couldn't pull out any individual notes in this-- I just got a vague soapy wash of sweet fruits and florals which my skin sucked up quickly. My best friend was over last night, though-- she'd just gotten back from a month long stay in Hawaii-- so I gifted little Mi-Go to her since she loved it and said it reminded her of all the wild tropical smells there. It smelled so much better on her!

I loved the label art, by the way. :P

I too had a "feeling" that Mi-Go Brain Canister wasn't going to "work" for me. Moody woman that I've been, as of late.

MGBC was available at the NY/NJ Mad Tea Party, I believe Harlequin had hers. I had only smell it from the cap of the bottle & frankly, I was worried. It was very sweet smelling. Sweet's ok but this seemed fairly concentrated, sicky sweet.

Here's a bit of the Lab's description, just for reference:

"In an effort to create a pleasing environment during a surprise trip to Yuggoth, we have created a soothing yet stimulating blend of pink pepper, peony, jasmine, mango, kiwi, pomegranate, pineapple, white ginger, serene white tea and light musks. Bon voyage!"

Now, mind you...I've only worn this once. MGBC was complete & total jasmine with a tiny peep of light musks.

I love jasmine but I really was hoping to smell more of the fruits mentioned here. Never fear, it has been my experience that BPAL blends smell better on me when they have aged a while.

I'll try this again in 2 weeks & see if I can smell any changes.

On the fence about this one.

:D

UPDATE 9-17-05: Here we are a couple of months later, time to try the squishy brains again. OM freaking G!

I am so happy I didn't swap or sell this one. Mi-Go has grown up to be absolute scent perfection!

It's deep, it's lush, it's sexy as hell!

The molecules have wiggled & giggled their way around each other to create a sophisticated spicy, fruit/floral from another planet.

I am no longer "on the fence" about this one. :P Definitely a keeper! The good news is that even though it was an extremely limited edition, there is plenty of Mi-Go on swaps or eBay to fulfill you every extraterrestrial desire.

Edited by Red_Hot_Mama

Preconceived notions:

I'm not (generally speaking) a fruity kind of girl or a floral kind of girl, but I had to try this anyway because I do love pink pepper, ginger, white tea and lighter musks. And brains. I'm reasonably fond of pineapple and kiwi as fragrances, as well, so I may very well like this. :D

First sniff:

Ooh, nowhere near as in-your-face sweet and fruity as I'd feared. There's indeed fruit in here, but there's also ginger, pepper, tea and musk (and some sort of floral - jasmine, I think). I'd envisioned (and feared) some sort of fruit punch meets aromatherapy kind of scent, the kind that says "Hey, you're a brain in a jar, but it's not so bad. Sit back, relax, have a drink and listen to some new age synthesizer music," but this is definitely not that. More subdued and quite lovely. :D

Wet on skin:

For once all the fruit disappears once this hits my skin. Suddenly it's all florals and ginger with a hint of tea and musk. I'm not sure if I'd rather smell fruity or floral, since neither one really appeals to me, but I'm thinking that in this case, I'd prefer the fruit to the florals. This isn't bad at all, it's just not something I'd normally wear.

Dry down:

All the florals and fruit seem to have gone MIA and I'm left with a sort of peppery, ginger/tea/white musk scent with the tiniest hint of peony. This is much better than when it was wet and it's actually what I was hoping to get out of this. All the notes I don't like have disappeared and all the ones I do like are hanging around for once, so yay! Go Brains!

The bottom line:

I'm pretty happy with the way this one turned out. It's definitely a morpher on me, but I'm not sure if that's skin chemistry or just the nature of Braaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiinnnnnnnsss. Sorry, can't help myself. :P

This is definitely a light pink scent in my mind, as I'm sure was intended. Fantastic: floral but not overwhelmingly so, and fruity, but not so much that you smell like a Strawberry Shortcake character. The jasmine, kiwi, and pineapple really comes out on me. It's really fruity when applied, but the dry down goes all soft and girly. After about an hour it smells like a very feminine ladies perfume on me. It's one of those scents that reminds me of something.... but I just can't put my finger on it. It's to die for, lovely and highly addictive. Thank goodness I ordered two bottles!! :P

it smells pink and squishy. :P it's pretty, but a little too floral for me. the fruits are there, but the jasmine and peony are drowning them out.

i'm really on the fence... maybe i'll try it again later. i may just try to get an imp and sell my 5mL since i doubt i'll wear it much.

edit: i gave it another try...and the fruits drowned out the flowers. yay! i also get this nice candyish hint. glad i gave it another shot. :D

Edited by angel sixgun

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINS!

I opened Mi-Go Brain Canister and did the flippy twirl when I smelled something similar to a note that's in my beloved Harvest Moon. What note? Hell if I know, but it's ever so lovely. It goes on floral and then BAM! Kiwi. Hello, sexy thing, I am kiwi. From there it manages to be this purely delightful blend of fruity florals or floral fruities, I'm not sure which, but there's just this twinge of pepper to make things very, very fun.

This screams: Wear me to something festive.

Another blend, another bottle to seal my doom of Bpal addiction. :P

I really don't know what to make of Mi-Go. I want to love it...I really do... but it's...kinda doing nothing for me. I feel ashamed to admit that in the bottle this is glorious, all fruity with a touch of jasmine and spiceness and WOW.

But on me i'ts kind of like a pineapple gone wrong. Tons of pineapple and mango smells swallow up all the rest so that only a tiny little thread of ginger and jasmine peak through. Which basically means this ends up smelling like a saddened and forlorn version of Tzadikim on me. I would try this again but I also start sneezing madly with this.

The brains do not like me enough to justify them sticking around. Sad sad minx... off they go, poor brains. :P

each, peach, pear, plum

on me they smell like babies' bum...

I thought this would be too fruity for me & it is, light melon-y fruit it's true, but still...

I wanted to try this & I'm glad I did, but it's not me. but if you love fruity I think you'll be very very happy. I'll stick to the berries which seem to like me better :P

Mi-Go Brain Canister is a very fun blend :P . I tried it on while playing with my squishy brain, it makes me feel like a little kid. And I think this perfume would appeal to a little kid, it's very youthful. I don't usually do well with fruity perfumes but the fruits in this are so juicy, they smell like a fruit salad I would love to eat. And somehow the pepper and florals keep the fruit from being to sweet on me. This blend could have been a winner if it weren't for the jasmine. I was hoping it would be a minor note, but my skin amps it up and it takes over everything else :D . Still, I really enjoyed trying this, it puts me in a good mood!

In the bottle: I don't know what it is about fruits and light musks that make me just want to drink them, but Mi-Go smells like something I should tip back and guzzle by the gallons. It's sweet and fruity but also a little bit tea-like and just delish. If I focus, I can pull out the pineapple and the pomegranate notes just a little as well as some of the peony.

Wet: Pomegranate and kiwi. This actually really picks up in warmer weather. I had tried it on when it was cooler and the blend was very, very faint. But this is lovely. Sweet fruits and the same glistening musk that makes Kitsune-Tsuki and Queen of Diamonds so thrilling. But I can also smell the light floral of the peony and maybe a touch of the pink pepper to give it the slightest of kicks. This is like a tropical drink.

Dry down: This has a definite tea/peony feel that reminds me of The Dormouse. In fact, this is basically the love child of Dormouse and Kitsune-Tsuki. It's light and sweet with a breath of fruits and some sparkling musk in it as well. Even the jasmine is mostly behaving. Jasmine can be a problem as it does tend to dominate most of the parties that it's invited to. Mmmm...tropical fruits, which lend this a less sweet note than what's in Kitsune. It has a more...tropical feel to it. Mostly the mango now with a little bit of the pomengranate mixing with the musks, but this is a fun, summer blend because it's not at all cloying but still sweet and flirty. Mmm...mango musk.

Dry: This smells exotic and lovely with a hint of sweetness behind it. The jasmine is behaving very well only wafting gently in the background rather than trying to take over. It's sweet, but not to the point of inducing scent diabetes. It's got a very lovely mango/pineapple musk smell on me with the peony and the jasmine in the background with some pink pepper as a kick. And the fruits fade gently away into the background and it becomes more of a floral musk. It still has a very clean smell, though, and I'm so glad that I have a good amount of this scent to wear. :P

My dad's reaction to Mi-Go Brain Canister:

:sniff sniff: You smell like wine. :sniff: But a good wine. :sniff: Yeah, you smell like wine.

When wet, Mi-Go is full of sweet fruits, primarily melon and kiwi. It makes me think a little of Titania. The sweetness backs off as it dries, leaving a still fruity, but floral scent. It reminds me of Pink Moon, in its floral/sugary stage, before it starts disagreeing with me. I'm a bit surprised that I like Mi-Go because I didn't previously like fruity scents, but this is perfect for summertime.

Incidentally, I apply my BPAL with the index finger on my left hand, and so I know how Mi-Go tastes as well as how it smells. Mi-Go has a much stronger taste than any other BPAL I've "tried" -- most are indetectable after application, if I happen to get my finger in my mouth. But Mi-Go is really strong. :P

Mi-Go Brain Canister

In the imp: yummy fruit juice! This smells like tropical fruit juice, it's so summery!

Wet on skin: still tropical fruity, but I think the jasmine's coming through. This is the scent of summer.

Dry on skin: this is gorgeous. I can smell kiwi, mango and pineapple (and coconut??? I swear there's coconut here too) and also some sweet white florals. This reminds me of a beautiful paradise island. This smell is just so wonderful, light florals and sweet fruits. I hope the spices come through.

After a while: can't make out the tea or spices yet, but the florals have strengthened, and the white musk is making itself known. And the fruits are still lovely, they blend nicely with the florals.

After an hour or so, the scent is now a soft, sweet blend of white musk, jasmine and mango. It's lovely.

Verdict: who could have thought brains smelt so good! This is the perfect summery scent-fruity, floral, juicy, bouncy and light, it's like summer on a tropical island, a cocktail of exotic fruits and exotic white flowers. I love it!!!

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Sniffed in the bottle, and then wet on my wrist, this is such a "wet pink" scent that it makes me laugh! Don't get grossed out but it's definitely fleshy! While this is wet, I really do smell, well, "pickled brain" is how my own pickled brain is classifying it.

Thankfully, the drydown is much less dramatic and it tones down sweetly to a fruity very wearable, slightly spicy, second-skin musk. :P This fades quickly on me, so I'm glad that I even though I do like it quite a bit I won't be kicking myself for not ordering tons.

Huh. Easy for me to say NOW while there is still tons left in the bottle! Ask me again when I am down to 1 ml.! :D

Unhelpful to say so, but Mi-Go smells /exactly/ like I had imagined it to from the description and other peoples' reviews.

The only thing I wasn't expecting was a piquant *tang*, which I'm attributing to the pineapple. It cuts through the sweetness of the jasmine and other notes very joyously indeed and gives it added 'I'm a refreshing summer drink - drink me' bonus points.

:P

In the bottle and on my skin there were no fruits at all the first two times I tried my Brain Canister. I don't like florals so I am not skilled at identifying them but I think it is the jasmine (and maybe the peony) that make this smell off to me and completely dominate the scent.

When I shook up the bottle in desperation, I could scent the faint hint of fruit (kiwi) trying to break past the cloying flowers.

On my skin, no fruits of any kind made an appearance. No ginger. No tea. There may have been some musk mingling with the flowers.

I am very disappointed because I love all the fruits in Mi-Go and desperately wanted this to be a sweet fruity scent.

Wow...why did I wait so long to try this blend. I am in love. A fruity blend that works for me. I am still not thru drydown yet, but I think it will be great. The musks and tea really balance this and make it not too fruity. Genious I tell you. Only thing that it is rather light. Reminds me of Pele in that aspect. I cannot pick out any single fruit but this is so well blended it just sings Tropical. I love it. Can't wait to slather this one on tomorrow.

I have to say I'm disappointed. I was reading reviews expecting to smell fruit and a hint flowers. Instead all I smell is flowers. No fruit at all. I love the brain! I'm going to let it sit a bit and see if I change my mind.

This one smells almost *exactly* like Lush's youki-hi bomb and Flying Fox shower gel on me. It's a very very strong floral and it lasts a really long time.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Fruity!

In the imp/bottle: This is.... fruity, floral, musky, and, as others have said, kind of fleshy.

On skin, wet: I can catch jasmine, pomegranate, pineapple, ginger, pepper, tea and musk. It's a very strangely fruity/sweetly foody scent. I'm running out of words for it!

On skin, dry: This dries down into a sweet pineapple, tea and musk mixture.

Conclusion: A bit too sweet for my liking, all told, but a very interesting and complex scent, that one. Plus, squishy brains! :P

Edited by Aredhel

In the bottle, it was an intersting fruity floral.

Within seconds of being on my skin...it was all Jasmine. I hate Jasmine and my skin really amps it up. I had to scrub it off asap.

Grrrr...mi-go brains, I hardly knew ye.

In Bottle: Fruit and ginger

On Skin: This is an odd scent obviously. I really like the fruits, they all blend well and smell like a tropical smoothie. The pineapple stands out the most. I feel like I’m on my honeymoon in Tahiti again. The scent is like a tropical getaway and reminds me nothing of brains. LOL! I don’t smell the pink pepper, there is nothing spicy to this scent that I can smell.

TMI ~ I think my egg wandered off to start its own flock. I swear, I'd lose my own head if it weren't fastened on properly.

Note ~ A decant from Hedgie_Lover!

Vial ~ Fruit bunch darkened with rum or some other thick liqueur.

Wet ~ Various wet, juicy fruits laid over a bouquet of fragrant flowers.

Drying ~ A jasmine tea and Hawaiian Punch cooler.

Drydown ~ It's thickened and deepened into something that's rapidly losing most of its juicy sweetness. It's as if the jasmine and the fruit battled it out until its down to one jasmine flower and one random piece of fruit, both kinda tuckered out from the battle. They've kinda collapsed onto each other and are letting their vegetative sweats mingle.

Dry ~ This is fading at an alarming rate. A muted sweetness is present, and my skin isn't dragging out so much jasmine as to be obnoxious. I may even be sensing some pepper. It's okay, but not really me. However, after some determinedly hot days in Seattle, trying this was necessary in the face of a rainy Tuesday (and after a stunning holiday weekend, too!).

Fade ~ Over eight hours later, a memory of sweetness -- not quite pastry quality -- over a plastic amber.

Final thoughts ~ I'm glad that I got to try this oil, but it's not quite my thing. However, it's a potential jasmine scent for jasmine-haters, depending on skin chemistry and sweet tolerance.

5ml ~ Nah. I can even do without the squishy brain.

Edited by byrdie

I've always been hesitant about fruity scents, but something told me to order a bottle of this, and then a second bottle when I saw that it was still available. I am so very glad that I did.

Initially, I smell the pink pepper and the musks. Which is good...then eventually I start to smell the fruits, and finally the jasmine. Nothing truly stands out to me, aside from the pink pepper in the beginning and maybe some mango, but I love the blend. It honestly changed my opinion of fruity scents.

As the days grow even hotter, I keep grabbing my bottle and smiling as I apply it.

The first time that I tried Mi-Go, I got a fruity explosion dominated mostly by mango and pineapple, followed by a soapy middle phase (it's all jasmine's fault) and then a lightly sweet musky phase that was so faint I had to jam my wrist against my nose in order to smell anything.

Then I sold one of my bottles of Mi-Go and let the other one sit for a few weeks because I hate smelling like soap.

I decided that I should wear Mi-Go one more time before I put the other bottle up on my swap list, so I slathered copious amounts of Mi-Go on my wrists today. The strangest thing has happened - someone has abducted the jasmine from my bottle of Mi-Go! No more soapy phase! And the musky drydown wafts way more when I slather (duh!), to the point where I can actually detect the white tea note and the slightest tiniest bit of spiciness (hello, pink pepper?). I'm enjoying Mi-Go much much more now that I'm not being subjected to jasmine's soapiness, and I think that it may actually rouse me from my usual weekend torpor - perhaps that's why I got so much done today?

And I finally broke out the squishy brain, now that I've decided to keep this bottle of Mi-Go. Whoever posted that the brain can walk down walls? OMG, that's hours of entertainment right there. I'll never be without something to do ever again.

At first very sweetie....I dont know why but it reminded me of Midwinter's Eve. But now Im getting a bit more of the floral coming through. And a tad of citrus, must be the mango and pineapple. Its light sweet fruity fun. A very bubbly scent. It does not seem to be sticking around as much as some of my other faves, but I love this one enough to keep it....and just reapply.

Edited by ianastar