Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
voodoobaby

Discussion of all things Amber

I have started blending the bpal amber scents that I have to make a darker amber. So far my favorite is to blend Bastet with haunted and a little killer swarm. The two ambers, the bright citrusy of haunted and the sun gden spice in Bastet combine beautifully. Adding a few drops of killer swarm really sweeten it up and give the whole scent amazing throw.

But I too am a amber resin addict and have always wanted the scent of the resin in an oil. Since I am such an amber addict I am sure I will come back to post some more of my favorite bpal amber scents:)

I just want to thank everyone in this thread for all of the wonderful amber information. I have only recently come to love amber, as it does turn to powder quite easily on my skin. Once I tried O, I saw the light and began to appreciate amber in other imps I had stashed in the back of my drawer. After reading this thread, I found a bottle of Jacob's Ladder on sale on LJ, and I can't wait to try it! I also bought a chunk of amber resin to layer under some of my bpal oils to warm their scents. While I wish BPAL's amber notes didn't turn quite so powdery on me, my nose has learned to tell the difference between amber and baby powder now, and I can still appreciate even the most powdery blends.

I just want to thank everyone in this thread for all of the wonderful amber information. I have only recently come to love amber, as it does turn to powder quite easily on my skin. Once I tried O, I saw the light and began to appreciate amber in other imps I had stashed in the back of my drawer. After reading this thread, I found a bottle of Jacob's Ladder on sale on LJ, and I can't wait to try it! I also bought a chunk of amber resin to layer under some of my bpal oils to warm their scents. While I wish BPAL's amber notes didn't turn quite so powdery on me, my nose has learned to tell the difference between amber and baby powder now, and I can still appreciate even the most powdery blends.

Crazy you should say that. Jacob's Ladder was my first Bpal amber love. I hope it works out just as well for you. :D

I just want to thank everyone in this thread for all of the wonderful amber information. I have only recently come to love amber, as it does turn to powder quite easily on my skin.

It's a bit of a weirdo note. Tho... if O is the one that addicted you, it might be you're better off with vanilla or honey to work as a base for the amber.

I'm actually the opposite. Most of the usual sweet notes don't work at all on me. Vanilla is bad. Honey is bad. Tonka is bad. But... amber is good.

I got Bastet as part of my first set of imps ever, and I still to this day love that scent.

Unfortunately, every other scent with an amber note has given me this sickly, powdery, grandma perfume smell that makes me nauseated immediately. I thought I'd love O (LOVE vanilla and honey notes) but it was just nasty powder that gave me a headache! Maybe it's just Egyptian amber that I like, which would make sense since I have found different musks, patchoulis, etc. smell differently on me, and some I like more than others. I liked some of the suggestions in this thread, so maybe I will give another amber scent a try eventually!

I am hunting for a "white amber" intense bpal scent at the moment.

I love its soft, light smell.

I am also searching it in a single note form.

Any suggestions? :wub2:

I've been wearing BPAL for a few years and have just now realized how amazing amber is. I'm wondering, how could I possible have MISSED THIS AWESOMENESS ALL THIS TIME and wondering if my skin chemistry has just changed or what.

It started out with Gold Phoenix, then The Sportive Sun and now The Lion. All just gorgeous, warm scents. Reading through this thread realizing a recent favourite, Fenris Wolf, also has amber in it (though it is very red musk on me and sandalwood.

Might have to go back through the catalog again...so in love.

I've been wearing BPAL for a few years and have just now realized how amazing amber is. I'm wondering, how could I possible have MISSED THIS AWESOMENESS ALL THIS TIME and wondering if my skin chemistry has just changed or what.

It started out with Gold Phoenix, then The Sportive Sun and now The Lion. All just gorgeous, warm scents. Reading through this thread realizing a recent favourite, Fenris Wolf, also has amber in it (though it is very red musk on me and sandalwood.

Might have to go back through the catalog again...so in love.

When I first got into BPAL, I tended to pick up on the powdery aspects of a lot of notes, including red musk, amber, and some resins. Then something changed in my nose or skin and amber started to really work for me (but orange blossom and rose became less reliable - go figure.)

So the other day, I accidentally smelled something that I thought was absolutely fantastic. It was a combo of amber and sandalwood, and the notes also listed mandarin, although I couldn't really smell that.

The amber/sandalwood combo was just soooo wonderful, simple and sophisticated (really light and maybe just the faintest touch powdery), so I was wondering - any BPALs you could recommend that might have a similar feel?

Black Lotus has amber and sandalwood, but it also has myrhh, which can be a little bitter. Also Fallen, but there is vetivert, which also can be strong.

The Little Wooden Doll may be just what you are looking for, without the citrus note.

Tombeur (one of my favorite BPALs) has both notes.

Other blends with sandalwood and amber include Mastermind, Sin, and Vasillisa,

Black Lotus has amber and sandalwood, but it also has myrhh, which can be a little bitter. Also Fallen, but there is vetivert, which also can be strong.

The Little Wooden Doll may be just what you are looking for, without the citrus note.

Tombeur (one of my favorite BPALs) has both notes.

Other blends with sandalwood and amber include Mastermind, Sin, and Vasillisa,

Thanks for those! I've got Black Lotus already and love it, although that's got more dark stuff going on there that I imagine drown out the amber-sandalwood combo. I love vetiver so might have to try Fallen anyway.

Little Wooden Doll does sound like it might be exactly the thing though!

So the other day, I accidentally smelled something that I thought was absolutely fantastic. It was a combo of amber and sandalwood, and the notes also listed mandarin, although I couldn't really smell that.

The amber/sandalwood combo was just soooo wonderful, simple and sophisticated (really light and maybe just the faintest touch powdery), so I was wondering - any BPALs you could recommend that might have a similar feel?

No notes listed but I'm fairly sure Aureus has amber in it and smells like liquid sunlight!

No notes listed but I'm fairly sure Aureus has amber in it and smells like liquid sunlight!

Ooh, thank you, that sounds wonderful! Could definitely do with some liquid sunlight over here :)

I love amber. The problem is, it's a total bully note on my skin! Most things with amber as a dominant note turn into amber single note.

I am looking for some recs that I may not have thought of yet where amber is paired with other strong notes that can stand up to it and provide some complexity.

Amber blends that become a single note on me:

Yellow Metal with Mingled Purple Brushes

Hesiod's Phoenix (but it's such a beautiful amber that I don't much care - it is my favourite "pure amber" scent)

Thomas Sharpe - while I loved the black amber note, that's all it was on me.

Brisingamen

Golden Priapus

Amber that works on me:

Haunted - the black musk is strong enough to make it's presence known

O - the honey overpowers the amber

L'Estate - somehow all the notes are just in perfect balance

Tamora - the peach manages to subdue the amber

The Harp of Cnoc l'Chosagair - I think maybe it's the sandalwood that grounds this?

I really do love amber, I just want to smell other notes with my amber. Any recs welcome! Thanks in advance.

Amber is a general win on me and it shows.. most of my strong likes include some sort of amber in the description, nepalese amber being my favourite. It's worthwhile to note that amber generally dries down very sweet on me, so I tend to preference amber blends that bolster this aspect, and play to its strengths- such as sweet notes, like honey and creamy notes like vanilla...etc :P I seriously did not realise how much amber is present in a lot of my favourite blends haha. The ones I'm listing are ambers I feel that glow on me, but are showcased similarly, but flourish and smeeellll very differently.

A Wonderful Light: Three radiant ambers with honey, linden blossom, bourbon vanilla, and orange zest.
I don't like orange, but I like this. Creamy, golden, honeyed amber.

Blossoms in Springtime: Vanilla bean and vanilla blossom, golden honey, antiqued amber, beeswax, copal, lotus blossom, and helichrysum.

Easily an all-time favourite of mine, mostly because it is largely accessible in the aftermarket, which surprises me - because that means not a lot of people have discovered how wonderful it is yet :P
'm pretty sure this the most undervalued blend I've ever smelt because on me, it would be a $400 scent. It's a creamy glowy sort of honeyed floral that is uplifted to unparalleled dimensions by the sweet amber present in it. It's a glowing kind of vanilla amber... and by glow, I mean it *glows*.

Haloes: Oak, tonka, vanilla, white sandalwood, lily of the valley, white ginger, amber, and apricot.
Warm, sweet, and woodsy vanilla amber blended seamlessly with a perfumed conception of apricot. It's a gloriously warm, incredibly distinctive, and cozy scent. The amber in this glows too.. Oh my... I seem to have picked only ambers that glow. LEL.

L'Estate: Nepalese amber, vanilla infused amber, golden musk, sandalwood, golden lily, sunflower, and honey myrtle.

Superior amber blend with all the right balance in notes afforded by the idea of 'golden summer sunshine'. Five more words: Nepalese amber all the things.

I would love love love for BPAL to make an amber, vanilla bean, and cardamon scent :P Ambra del Nepal makes one, and it's bloody divine, but I'm sure Beth's would be more complex and :D

I would definitely need 5 bottles of this! Yum.

I would love love love for BPAL to make an amber, vanilla bean, and cardamon scent :P Ambra del Nepal makes one, and it's bloody divine, but I'm sure Beth's would be more complex and :D

I have a mild skin allergy to cardamom, but amber/vanilla bean/cardamom would smell so amazing that I'd probably buy two bottles and wear it anyway.

I have a mild skin allergy to cardamom, but amber/vanilla bean/cardamom would smell so amazing that I'd probably buy two bottles and wear it anyway.

This would be a blind bottle for me for sure. Maybe even two blind bottles. 3 of my very favorite notes!!

This would be a blind bottle for me for sure. Maybe even two blind bottles. 3 of my very favorite notes!!

Oh. Wow. That would be incredible.

When first got into BPAL in 2012 I was only into foodie and rose LE scents. I literally never even tried Snake Oil. I've been gone for a couple years and feel like a total newbie all over again, trying all of these GC scents. I realized that my favorite scent ever in the world is The Lion. Words can't express how much I love it! I ordered a bottle and also a bottle of O, they're currently on their way to me!

I considered purchasing Jacobs Ladder from Etsy, but reading the reviews it seemed a bunch of people said it was masculine. Masculine is not my thing. Just wondering if there any LE's I might want to be on the lookout for that are warm ambery goodness like The Lion. Would love some good recs! Thanks!

Edited by Foodie

When first got into BPAL in 2012 I was only into foodie and rose LE scents. I literally never even tried Snake Oil. I've been gone for a couple years and feel like a total newbie all over again, trying all of these GC scents. I realized that my favorite scent ever in the world is The Lion. Words can't express how much I love it! I ordered a bottle and also a bottle of O, they're currently on their way to me!

I considered purchasing Jacobs Ladder from Etsy, but reading the reviews it seemed a bunch of people said it was masculine. Masculine is not my thing. Just wondering if there any LE's I might want to be on the lookout for that are warm ambery goodness like The Lion. Would love some good recs! Thanks!

I might not be the best person to talk to, as I like scents that are feminine and masculine, including many that venture into what I call "the cologne zone." that said, I love jacob's ladder (I've tried the etsy that isn't 2008...can't remember if it's 2012 or 2010) and I find it to be a glorious gorgeous warm almost-gooey resin. galbanum can amp on me, but it doesn't with this scent. it doesn't go cologne-y on me at all.

haunted is amber heavy, beautiful and feminine.

palmyra is gender neutral on me, also rich and resiny

the golden hour atmosphere spray from the post has a warm richness that is similar to amber, and the amber patchouli hair gloss is one of my absolute favorites.

eta you also want to try and snag some hesiod's phoenix or le lugubre gondola, although they may be tough to find.

Edited by annemathematics

Thank you Anne mathematics! You're making me rethink not buying Jacobs Ladder....

So many posts on this amber thread say the same thing you did about JL, but then I go to read the reviews and like half the people say "this would be great on my boyfriend". Uggghhhhh, I wish I could sample those darn Etsy bottles!!!

Thank you Anne mathematics! You're making me rethink not buying Jacobs Ladder....

So many posts on this amber thread say the same thing you did about JL, but then I go to read the reviews and like half the people say "this would be great on my boyfriend". Uggghhhhh, I wish I could sample those darn Etsy bottles!!!

Different people have different taste and chemistry.read reviews of scents that you HAVE tried and see if anyone from the jl thread also reviewed that scent. Is that person's experience similar to yours or does it differ? It will help you guesstimate if your experience of jl will match theirs.

Coyote is a great amber scent which is what I think makes the Lion so lovely. Lion is amber with a hint of Cinnamon. Coyote is amber with sweetgrass and a hint of soft, brown suede.

Is recommend Bastet as well. LEO is still available, I'd recommend you snag it quickly and thank me later. If you can find it, Sportive Sun is a wonderful, very leonine amber.

Jacob's Ladder is beautiful, I am betting you love it and I don't find it masculine, it's quite gender neutral to my nose.

Aureus is an imp I'd recommend trying, in the vein of the Lion, sunny amber.

I'm getting quite excited thinking about all this amber!

Edited by sprout

Thanks Sprout! Really want to try Leo, as I'm a Leo, but need the funds to support this growing habit of mine, lol!