Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
voodoobaby

Discussion of all things Amber

Note to mods: I did do a search before this, but if I missed a similar thread, do alert me.

OK, this is a bit of a silly story. I have this male friend who I've known for a few years now. Ever since I met him I've noticed how gorgeous he always smells. However, it always kind of smelled like a natural skin smell mixed with some sort of deodorant or something. Due to my thinking it's his BO that smells good, I've always been too averse to asking him what he was wearing because it just seems like it would be weird...

Me: *leans in* "Mmm, you smell gooood. Is it cologne, or your sweat?"

Him: *backs away slowly*

So anyway, I saw him the other day and again caught a whiff of him. That's when I realized what that glorious scent was that always wafted off of him--amber! It all makes sense now. So with this in mind, I have this urge to get BPAL scent with some major amber action in hopes of smelling just as good. I have tried a few scents with the note in it, but amber hasn't been really prominent in any of them. The ones I've tried are Black Lotus, Imp, Coyote, Loviatar, and O. Can anyone recommend any others?

Oh, and I'm sorry I'm so long-winded tonight. That happens when I get bored.

Edited by voodoobaby

amber doesn't work on me, particularly Brisinagamen - which is very much amber on me - and I suspect that Blood Amber is also heavy on the amber. Ditto Haunted.

HTH

I'm not sure what amber smells like exactly (I'm a perfume novice), but Blood Amber is a warm, golden scent on me that I really like. I got the "natural skin smell" feel from it too.

Ooh, amber is one of my favourite notes. I recommend:

Coyote (I know you said you tried this, but I really do find the amber note quite strong - maybe it's just me)

O (ditto)

Haunted

Brisingamen

Golden Priapus

The Lion (definately try this its lovely)

Florence

Well, the obvious one is The Lion which is pure amber heaven. I'm wearing Brisingamen now, and it's definitely ambery, but it also has a floraly note to it.

The ambers that were really lovely on me were Brisingamen, Blood Amber, and The Lion (though The Lion was very soft and subtle, not the strong amber I was expecting).

Oddly, Haunted turned into lemon pledge on me, and I don't think there's even any lemon notes listed. But I wound up smelling like a musky lemon bar that had been rolled in baby powder. My chemistry may be a bit odd, though - other amber-fans have loved it. :P

The ambers that were really lovely on me were Brisingamen, Blood Amber, and The Lion (though The Lion was very soft and subtle, not the strong amber I was expecting).

Oddly, Haunted turned into lemon pledge on me, and I don't think there's even any lemon notes listed.  But I wound up smelling like a musky lemon bar that had been rolled in baby powder.  My chemistry may be a bit odd, though - other amber-fans have loved it.  :P

I think I love amber, yet have found many amber scents that didn't work. Brisingamen and blood amber specifically. Brisingamen was too perfumy, Blood Amber too feral (civet like). However, the Lion is one of my faves (definately a top ten).

Re; haunted, it smells on me just as coulrophobe said. I have learned to love it for a "lemon" scent LOL. On me it is ambery lemon babypowder. Weird eh?

Nobody's said it yet... I love Tenochtitlan. Tenochtitlan, Aglaea, and Corazon are the only ambers I've worn yet that didn't go pure powder.

my votes are for corazon, the lion, sin and brisingamen :P

i lurv my amber.

Nobody's said it yet...  I love Tenochtitlan.

What she said.

And another vote for Haunted. I can tell that the lemony aspect is there, but it's a minor component on me.

I can recommend The Lion with reservations - it is beautiful on me during the drydown, but it has a soapy start for some reason.

Brisingamen went all powdery on me, alas, and I never got any amber out of Blood Amber.

Dammit.

Weirdly, Thanatopsis, which has no amber in it, smells very ambery-y on me.

Sounds like I have to try The Lion!

Oro

blood amber went powdery on me, but not in a baby powder sort of way. it smelled like a chunk of old amber that rubs powder off on your skin when you picked it up. very dry and resiny.

the lion is nice and spicy amber. unfortunately it's also a different kind of amber that turns to sour milk on me. if you haven't tried amber scents before, you might want to watch out for that reaction - i'm not the only one it happens to, but it only happens to me with some amber scents.

I love a lot of the amber scents. A beautiful one that hasn't been mentioned yet is Bastet. Like golden sunshine.

Spellbound

Lab description is... Perfectly enchanting! An irresistibly sexual, utterly rapturous blend of three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk.

Mmmm, I am wearing it today for the first time, and 12 hours later it still smells wonderful.

I finally got a chance to try my friend's Brisingamen, it's really nice amber. I think it would be good if you wanted a scent that was pretty much just amber, with no other strong notes.

The Lion is insanely gorgeous :P so is Tamora, although the amber doesn't come out until drydown (amber smells AMAZING with heliotrope, btw)

Oddly, Haunted turned into lemon pledge on me, and I don't think there's even any lemon notes listed.  But I wound up smelling like a musky lemon bar that had been rolled in baby powder.  My chemistry may be a bit odd, though - other amber-fans have loved it.  :D

I had the same experience. The Lion was not the rich, stronge amber I was expecting. Instead it was a more citrus-like amber which I also find in Haunted. To me, Blood Amber has a really different type of amber in it; rich, warm and like a second-skin. The blood resin means that it takes a while to try down- but the amber is to die for. I'd love to know what type of amber was in it. Maybe black?

I'm intrigued by Ides- I'd like to know what grey amber smells like so I'm looking forward to the arrival of my bottle :P

Oddly, Haunted turned into lemon pledge on me, and I don't think there's even any lemon notes listed.  But I wound up smelling like a musky lemon bar that had been rolled in baby powder.  My chemistry may be a bit odd, though - other amber-fans have loved it.  :D

I had the same experience. The Lion was not the rich, stronge amber I was expecting. Instead it was a more citrus-like amber which I also find in Haunted. To me, Blood Amber has a really different type of amber in it; rich, warm and like a second-skin. The blood resin means that it takes a while to try down- but the amber is to die for. I'd love to know what type of amber was in it. Maybe black?

I'm intrigued by Ides- I'd like to know what grey amber smells like so I'm looking forward to the arrival of my bottle :P

Interesting...The Lion was very rich and strong on me :D skin chemistry is a strange thing!

I'm going to spoil the BPAL mood here and suggest you get yourself a small chunk of amber resin. It acts like solid perfume - just stroke it gently on your pulse points and you will smell divine.

Actually, this is a good way to pick out the different elements of BPAL amber scents - as you will then be more aware of its key note, you will be able to differentiate more easily, being more familiar with it.